Jagged Alliance 2 question(s)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

lokiju

Jagged Alliance 2 question(s)

Post by lokiju »

OK, so never mind that I'm a turn-based strategy game fanatic, yet I never played any of the Jagged Alliance games. That said, I just pulled JA2 and Unfinished Business off a dusty game shelf. My question is, do I install both together, or should I install and play JA2 first, and *then* add the expansion later? Sometimes the expansions (a la Neverwinter Nights) add content to the original campaign...so is that the case here?

Thanks!

Edit: I did find this recent 'newfangle' mod thread, but haven't looked yet to see if I should have UB installed from the get go:
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=24404
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

install both, UB adds the LOS key to the original game (handy)... and something else I don't recall.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
CSL

Post by CSL »

coopasonic wrote:install both, UB adds the LOS key to the original game (handy)... and something else I don't recall.
The JA2 mod adds the LOS key without UB.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Skip the UB installation unless you eventually get so bored that you have to have a single player campaign fix. The 1.13 mod adds in all of the features of wildfire and UB and JA gold as well as a host of new features and bug/AI fixes.
UB is, IIRC the first of the "stand alone" expansions in that it does not require the original JA2 to play it, making it a seperate game in it's own right adn therefore not necessary as far as any subsequent mods to JA2 that you might want to install. It is worth a play through after you have beaten the original game but for now, JA2 and the 1.13 mod are all you need(well...you don't NEED the 1.13 mod but it literally adds everything one could hope for in a mod so it comes highly recommended.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Thanks for the help.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Darkie

Post by Darkie »

Urm, stupid question... which key is the LoS key?
Jeff

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

"I don't accept the currently fashionable assertion that any view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and opposite view. My view is that the moon is made of rock. If someone says to me, 'Well, you haven't been there, have you? You haven't seen it for yourself, so my view that it is made of Norwegian beaver cheese is equally valid' - then I can't even be bothered to argue. There is such a thing as the burden of proof..." - Douglas Adams
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

Darkie wrote:Urm, stupid question... which key is the LoS key?
either the delete or end key above the cursor keys, or one of those 6. When you press it, it shows what's happening in the lower left.
Darkie

Post by Darkie »

Thanks... yet more bonuses! I've already loved the chance to hit bar, and now more stuff!

Wasn't there something that showed how good cover was?
Jeff

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

"I don't accept the currently fashionable assertion that any view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and opposite view. My view is that the moon is made of rock. If someone says to me, 'Well, you haven't been there, have you? You haven't seen it for yourself, so my view that it is made of Norwegian beaver cheese is equally valid' - then I can't even be bothered to argue. There is such a thing as the burden of proof..." - Douglas Adams
storz

Post by storz »

Darkie wrote:Thanks... yet more bonuses! I've already loved the chance to hit bar, and now more stuff!

chance to hit bar?? which key do you press to turn on chance to hit? I would love to see my chance to hit when I aim for the head. :D I updated to the newest version, it has been a blast to play on insane. I just hope JA3 will be as good.
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

storz wrote:
Darkie wrote:Thanks... yet more bonuses! I've already loved the chance to hit bar, and now more stuff!

chance to hit bar?? which key do you press to turn on chance to hit? I would love to see my chance to hit when I aim for the head. :D I updated to the newest version, it has been a blast to play on insane. I just hope JA3 will be as good.
If you've installed the newest mod, when you "mouse over" the bad guy, you should get a bar that fills up more as you have more of a chance to hit. So if there is no chance, the bar is empty. Along with a LOS key, there is also a "cover" key to see how covered you are (I'm pretty sure). This key is also one of the 6 keys above the cursors.
nan desu

Post by nan desu »

I've been having a blast replaying this, and I recall discovering a key during the last playthrough that lets you climb up and down without having to go through that mouse click-fest. Does anyone know if it exists?

Of course, I could have been on crack and the key doesn't really exist. I tried everything on the keyboard already... except for the aforementioned 'insert', 'delete' etc. keys.
Dodger Bullet

Post by Dodger Bullet »

END - Shows line of sight of selected Merc. From red, yellow, to green--indicating unlikely to see and hit, to marginal, and green as likely.

DEL - Shows the selected merc's environment tile. Green means a good cover, to Red, indicating you'll likely be poked with a bullet or two.

The new autofire in the mod can be enabled by pressing B again, after burst. Of course one has to carry an SMG or RIFLE that has auto mode (m4, h&k, calico). There are three numbers in the reticule when pointed over a tango. The first top shows how many bullets it will spend, the middle shows the AP (as is in the burst mode) it will take out of yer merc, and the last shows the percentage I believe. Higher it is, the more likely.

Now this I don't undersand--when pressing and holding SHIFT then G. It says something about grenade something spread of something. If anybody can shed a light on this denotation, please share.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

So anyone have any good advice as to what order to attack the towns?

Also, how long do you stay in 1 town and train before moving on? I have half of Drassen (or whatever it's called) trained as blue militia...do you guys train them higher, or do you leave them green? I figured it couldn't hurt to have some blues.

nan desu

Post by nan desu »

lokiju wrote:So anyone have any good advice as to what order to attack the towns?

Also, how long do you stay in 1 town and train before moving on? I have half of Drassen (or whatever it's called) trained as blue militia...do you guys train them higher, or do you leave them green? I figured it couldn't hurt to have some blues.
I think if you stay too long in one town, the ore starts to run out. I'm not sure if that happens only once, or twice... never more than that for obvious reasons. On the lower difficulty levels, having all blue really helps hold the enemy at bay, unless they send in a full squad of elite forces, which happens from the very beginning at insane difficulty. The militia are pretty useless at that point, and you need mercs with good equipment to defend the town. I typically don't move out until I get all blues, just in case I can't respond in time.
MT

Post by MT »

No, the ore running out is a semi-random event. I've found that an order that works for me is:

Drassen
Chitzena
The town with th emilitary base that I can't remember the name of because I'm loaded
Cambria
Tixa
The town in the SW quadrant of the map with the mine
Meduna
Your favorite band sucks.
Darkie

Post by Darkie »

I tend to have dedicated pairs of trainers. Ira and three other trainers, generally. Scope and Len are good, as is Wolf.

They do the main training while the rest of the team are in other parts of the town. When the greens are up in all the sectors of a city, I move out the combat squads and let the trainers get'em to blue while I work. This means I have actual mercs on site, but can still press on.

Drassen can be annoying when my operations have moved on, though... which is why I increased the size of the militia through that handy dandy upgrade mod linked a while back (JA 1.13 mod, or something).
Jeff

Darkie

Post by Darkie »

Dodger Bullet wrote:END - Shows line of sight of selected Merc. From red, yellow, to green--indicating unlikely to see and hit, to marginal, and green as likely.

DEL - Shows the selected merc's environment tile. Green means a good cover, to Red, indicating you'll likely be poked with a bullet or two.
Ok, another question about DEL...

It's very odd. When there's no enemies, it's green everywhere. With an enemy, it goes from green to red as it approaches him... so basically, without cover, we're green, as you get closer into his range, it goes red?

Maybe I just haven't found any cover yet, 'cause those colors just seem to form an aura around the enemy...
Jeff

lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Would anyone happen to have, and be able to email me the 'Jagged Alliance 2 Hit Chance Calculator' file? The download at
http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/ seems to be broken, and I can't find it anywhere else.

Hooch

Post by Hooch »

If you've installed the 1.13 mod, the chance to hit calculator is toggled in the options menu.

Its much more fun with it off I reckon.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Hooch wrote:If you've installed the 1.13 mod, the chance to hit calculator is toggled in the options menu.

Its much more fun with it off I reckon.
Godammit. How did I miss that? And I'd rather have the chances on, as the shooter should have some idea how successful he would be from a certain place and distance (plus it's hard to tell how much of a view they have).

Anyways, someone also said this is at Fileplanet, which I had actually searched but didn't find it the first time.

Darkie

Post by Darkie »

On is very, very good... sometimes, you just can't tell by looking.
Jeff

Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Ok, I missed this game when it first came out and I am absolutely loving it! I'm already anxious for more.... I don't have the gold pack or wildfire or any of the user made add-ons. What do you recommend? Should I buy the gold pack or wildfire? How about Urban Chaos or Deidranna Lives? Would these things work with the new v1.13 high res mod? and if yes, how do you install it with them?

thanks,
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Darkie wrote:On is very, very good... sometimes, you just can't tell by looking.
I have it on, but it doesn't seem to work. I don't see any numbers besides the amount of APs that will be used. I do see a bar that above that, but I thought that was damage potential. If it's a measure of success, then it sucks. Maybe I'm missing something?

Darkie

Post by Darkie »

The bar is all you get.

When you've got a full red bar, you're pretty much assured of a hit. A tiny fraction still gives you a chance of hitting, though.

If when aiming, you notice the red bar fill up, and you still have more AP you can use for aiming, you can always switch to the head and see if MaxAim gives you a hit... nice to check for that.
Jeff

Hooch

Post by Hooch »

Darkie wrote:On is very, very good... sometimes, you just can't tell by looking.
I think thats why I like it. I played through it all originially without it, and I like having that element of risk and gettign to know your mercs abilities.
Should I buy the gold pack or wildfire? How about Urban Chaos or Deidranna Lives? Would these things work with the new v1.13 high res mod? and if yes, how do you install it with them?
No need to buy either of them. UC and DL are ok, tho even one of the designers of UC posted a poll about the sheer amount of enemies in the maps, I think he felt it ultimately detracted from the game. A very good mod is SOG69, just remember to fight in the day like the maker recommends as this is what he balanced it on.

Realistically theres hours and hours in the original JA2 and the modified 1.13 version, and I never got bored playing the original through to the end a couple of times.

I don't think it work with other mods cos they generally have their own .exe yeah? A good resource is Bears Pit.

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/
Kaiden

Post by Kaiden »

@Hooch,

You can find instructions on adding UC and Wildfire to 1.13 Items are a bit quirky, but if you ONLY use the maps, most things seem to work ok. Some people are extatic over the results, others aren't, so YMMV.

Also, there is a UC - 1.13 Hybrid in the works, which has spawned some new features for 1.13 in the next release.

And Scorpion has been refitting his Vengeance MOD to work with 1.13.

Unfortunately, they're being held up a bit due to lack of progress on the MAP Editor that Snap and I had problems with and then the holidays etc... So hopefully I can get the Editor working again soon (Code for the new file-data structure broke it in November.) And they can all get back on track.
Hooch

Post by Hooch »

haha, thanks for dropping by Kaiden.

(amazing work from all you blokes btw)
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Hooch wrote:haha, thanks for dropping by Kaiden.

(amazing work from all you blokes btw)
I have to add a hearty ditto!

Now, my question is, why the freak can't I train militia in Tixa!? It keeps getting retaken, and I hate to leave a full sqaud there full time.

Kaiden

Post by Kaiden »

Actually... Judge is working on something right now, that just might allow you to train militia in Tixa... There is more information on the bear's pit in the following two threads:

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/ubb/ulti ... 2;t=000056

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/ubb/ulti ... 2;t=000068
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Until then, I guess I'll have to place a squad of mediocre soldiers there, because, well, I hate losing sectors I own.

Sudy

Re: Jagged Alliance 2 question(s)

Post by Sudy »

I have a Jagged Alliance 2 question.

When taking out the garbage, does anyone else hear "Time to take out the trash!" in their head?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Brian

Post by Brian »

Sudy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:30 pm I have a Jagged Alliance 2 question.

When taking out the garbage, does anyone else hear "Time to take out the trash!" in their head?
Yes. Sometimes it even gets spoken out loud.

Another one that crops up every now and then is, "I'm here. I ate every bug on the way. There were many."
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sudy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:30 pm I have a Jagged Alliance 2 question.

Never. But I am sure I will now. Or rather, will say it to my son in *that voice* because it's his damn job, not mine.