Printer/Scanner

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Printer/Scanner

Post by Zarathud »

My HP Officejet Pro 8600 finally died (the printer head rattles when I remove it), so it's time to get a replacement home office printer and scanner. I know HP has a bad reputation, what multi-function printer do you recommend?

Having a scanner is critical, as I often have to scan documentation or scan physical letters for the work file. I'll also get a Xerox copy of something that's going out.
Color printer is helpful, as the kids periodically use it for their art projects. The younger child likes to print images to glue onto cardboard.
The printer footprint is also important, as it sits on a shelf over the younger child's small form factor PC. The existing square is about 24 x 24 inches (I'd have to remeasure to be certain).
I have a nearby Microcenter, but won't be able to get there until Sunday.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Re: Printer/Scanner

Post by Zarathud »

The spouse tells me that she's been having problems printing on cardstock, so she's been ready to bury it anyway.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Brother MFCs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We've been pretty happy with our Canon printer/scanner, once we got over the confusing nature of getting it connected.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:30 pm Brother MFCs.
Ya that. I use the hl-l2380dw its the monochrome wireless model of the color one you want. Always go Brother. Cheap reliable works. Can use generic aftermarket toners too. Even cheaper. I think I paid $12 for one. Still going....should do something like 2200 pages.

You're gonna pay for that color though bro.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:53 pm We've been pretty happy with our Canon printer/scanner, once we got over the confusing nature of getting it connected.
I have a Canon that is at leadt 4 years old I think. It's a color laser all in one.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife and I each have wireless Brother all-in-one printers that are good at printing, but they both lost the will to scan after a couple of years. The hardware still does its scanning thing but won't send files to the computer, which it complains that it can't find. It's the same computer that's routinely sending files to your printer-self, dummy! She finally had to buy a separate scanner after I failed to troubleshoot either one of our Brothers.

Don't even ask me why we have two wireless printers.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, ours isn't laser, but one of those ink tank systems. The instructions for setting up were pretty bad though, as it took some figuring out how to connect it to wifi.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

It isn't color, but I believe there is a color version if you really need it - we've had the Canon ImageClass MF435dw for nearly a year and love it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Oh. From what I recall when I worked with computers and also worked at Staples, we considered Brother printers as fully disposable. They weren't meant to last but at the time were inexpensive enough that if you got 1 or 2 years out of it you just bought a new one.
Also I switched to laser many decades ago. While more expensive using toner was better for the longevity of the printer, especially if you don't print a lot. Not sure if modern ink jets fixed this, but ink jet printers would dry out from nonuse. Usually the color cartridges since people usually print mostly in black do it kept the ink flowing. But we had many printers in for return or repair (IIRC, we had some printers that only had 30, 60, or 90 day manufacturers warranties on them. Also at the time the manufacturers point blank said things like this aren't covered as they consideredit user error for letting the ink dry in their printer) because they wouldn't print anymore even with a new cartridge because the old one had dried out and crusted over some of the internals. IIRC, HP was a bit better since their print heads were on the cartridge itself, but even those got crusted over if they didn't use it regularly. I used to tell people to print at least one full color page a week to keep it flowing. With laser it didn't matter and if the powder clumped up you just had to shake the cartridge.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My Brother runs what I assume is a cleaning cycle regularly.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had my first Brother about 7 years and this one 8 maybe. I quit using the first because even though it was wireless you had to connect it by wire first to get the wireless running. Was made that way. Got tired of it after power outages. They even sent me free toner.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

On thousand percent do NOT buy another HP. they are going all in on forcing you to subscribe for ink or they will brick your printer.

Friends don't let friends buy HP inkjet printers. Maybe also laserjet now (haven't checked for mandatory toner subscriptions).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Seconded. HP and Epson are both unbelievably predatory companies that are known for simply turning peoples' printers off when they want you to buy a new one, putting DRM on their ink, and using underhanded techniques to force you into printer subscriptions.

Corporate greed is one thing, but those two take it to twirly-moustache levels.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Montag

Post by Montag »

My office had a lot of the Brother MFC and they were pretty reliable. The printers were in use for more than a decade. I snagged one when the office closed and it works like a champ.
words
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'd urge you to splurge a little a get a LASER Multi-function from Brother.

I have a Brother inkjet multifunction, and the ink had clogged up so I can only do black and white. The colors are messed up. Not that I print colors that often, but toner doesn't "dry out".
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

yes always go laser..ink is a scam and it dries and clogs
telcta

Post by telcta »

I agree going with a laser printer if you don't print often. I rarely print and my Brother MFC-9130CW that I bought 8 years ago ($239) is still on two of the original color cartridges. I started using it for scanning and making copies. Never used the Fax option. It does have AirPrint which came in handy a couple of times, but now I mainly just shut off the printer for months at a time.