Gaming question

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

Gaming question

Post by Punisher »

AMD vs Intel.
I've always been Intel/Nvidia.
My son may be looking for a new PC soon.
Money is tight and IIRC AMD/AMD video cards are cheaper then my normal for the most part.
Again, IIRC, my normal setup is generally more powerful than the AMD combos assuming I alway got a current model Intel i7 and current model Nvidia RTX x080 model. I think I've heard of people also running into compatibility issues with AMD for gaming.
My son is mostly into FPSs.

Based on this.
1. Is AMD a safe choice regarding issues?
2. Performance wise is AMD a decent option?

If so, what CPU/GPU combo would you recommend. He'll also need a new MB.
Doesnt need to be top of the line but needs to have decent performance.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Re: Gaming question

Post by Blackhawk »

Someone may have a better answer, but AMD has been competitive with Nvidia/Intel for a while now. Which one offers better performance changes from generation to generation, but they're usually close. It also varies from game to game, including which company's tech they natively support.

One important question: Does his monitor have tech that is designed for a specific card maker, like FreeSync (AMD) or G-sync (Nvidia?)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I don't believe it has either but if it does ot would probably lean towards Nvidia.
Would opposite brands cause a big problem or big performance hit?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I can only speak to the GPU side, but I’ve owned both AMD and Nvidia cards (I’m pretty agnostic wrt brands), most recently picking up an AMD.

FWIW I will likely be buying Nvidia going forward.

It seems almost like the old Mac vs PC trope at this point…where one ‘just works’ and the other is maybe a better value, but requires tinkering and/or maintenance to get there.

If I were buying today I would be buying whatever the 4 series Nvidia card you can get for around the $310-$350 price point. I recently picked up a 6750XT for $310.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Punisher wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:05 am I don't believe it has either but if it does ot would probably lean towards Nvidia.
Would opposite brands cause a big problem or big performance hit?
You can get a 4060 for $289 regular price (currently on Amazon). Not sure I’ve seen many sales on these bc they’re priced to move already I think.

Downside is it only has 8GB and I would be hesitant to buy less than 10-12GB right now unless you upgrade frequently.

16GB 4060 Ti on Amazon for $499. That seems like pretty great value to me ($ to performance), but not sure what your budget is.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i seem to switch between AMD and nVidia every time i get a new video card. i'm done with nVidia due to their 'premium' pricing.

check r/buildapcsales, with the "GPU" flair applied:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ ... lair%3AGPU
Montag

Post by Montag »

Recently built a medium machine 5600x with a 6700xt and a higher end machine 7800x3d with 7900xt. Both do well. If you exclude ray tracing, AMD has the better performance per dollar.
words