WrestleQuest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

WrestleQuest

Post by Smoove_B »

I just did a search and saw it mentioned in the general thread, but good lord this needs its own dedicated topic!

A turn-based RPG with legendary WWF personalities??
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Baroquen

Re: WrestleQuest

Post by Baroquen »

It's already on my wishlist. I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it. But not sure many others will. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I missed the general post here about, but saw this article and thought it looked so cool - and I'm not even really a fan of the retro / pixel craze:
After playing four hours of a hands-on preview of WrestleQuest, it’s clear the game is not only an approachable and entertaining game for die-hard wrestling fans and newbies alike, but it also seamlessly meshes the larger-than-life personas of pro wrestling with the whimsy of a fantasy RPG.

WrestleQuest plays like “The Strongest” storyline in Square Enix’s Live A Live remake if it beefed up the pro-wrestling aspect of its fighting game-esque tournament. At the start, you choose your flavor of wrestler, whether that be an underdog, showman, or a powerhouse, which each have their pros and cons. For example, I wanted my Muchacho Man to have a technical wrestler style like AEW’s Bryan Danielson. In real life, technical wrestlers are typically great at putting their opponents in submission holds and have exceptional ring awareness, allowing them to think further outside the box than your average wrestler.

Much like with real-life wrestling, the pace of a WrestleQuest match is dictated by how much hype you and your opponent are generating. If you miss too many prompts, the hype will sway from you to your opponent, giving them more buffs. However, with the right combination of gimmick attacks, strikes, and well-timed taunts, you can sway the virtual crowd back into your corner of the squared circle and put your opponent down for a three-count. The game even features special match conditions where you get bonus items for taking out opponents in a specific order with certain moves. You can also customize the music and pyrotechnics for your character’s entrances before a big match.

On paper, all of these mechanics may sound as tedious as the WWE 2K series’ wrestling simulator approach. In WWE 2K, matches are riddled with minigames that pull you out of the merriment you’re trying to have, but WrestleQuest’s wrassling-themed features never felt too overwhelming to parse, nor did they become monotonous. That balance is thanks in part to how it packages otherwise dense wrestling terminology in an approachable action-RPG world.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Supposed to be out today.

Delayed until Aug. 22.
When performing final checks on one of our launch platforms, we discovered it was possible for players to lose their save game progress when playing WrestleQuest on multiple different devices.

Because this is a game filled with hours of content and player progress is so important, we could never bodyslam our fans like that.

We are truly proud of this game and believe that we have a product that delivers on all counts. We’re blown away by the support we’ve seen from players excited for WrestleQuest and we can’t wait to share the finished game with everyone on August 22.
Since I didn't realize it was supposed to release now, I guess I won't mind waiting a couple more weeks.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm surprised such an issue wasn't caught before their release day. I'm glad they did, and I'm glad they're delaying it to give it the proper time, but it still begs the question.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti