Question on mark topics as read

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Punisher

Question on mark topics as read

Post by Punisher »

Is this supposed to mark them as read AND update them so it looks like I'm current?
I've used it a couple if times, then after a few days click the icon that takes me to the furthest read page and it takes me to an old post, sometimes even years old instead of taking me to the posts that are new based on when I clicked mark as read.
Ex. I click mark as read on 2/1/23.
On 2/15/23 I see an updated thread, click the icon and it takes me to a post from 10/5/22 instead of the actual new post from 2/15/23.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Re: Question on mark topics as read

Post by Blackhawk »

It makes you current.

Is it taking you to a different page, or the same page as the latest unread post?

One thing that I've noticed (at least in Firefox) is that sometimes if you click the 'next unread' link, it will load that post first, then load in images and/or embedded content (like Twitter posts, YouTube videos, etc.) When it loads in the extra content, it shifts the page. The more content, the more it shifts your page. I've had it drop me half a page up from where the actual most recent post is at. And it's actually pretty consistent with it, and has been for years. And if the page was recently bumped from an old one, that can land me on posts that are several years old.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Re: Question on mark topics as read

Post by Punisher »

Sometimes totally different pages. Like 20 or more pages into the past.

I went through all the forums last night and updated them again to see what happens.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us