Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by hepcat »

That’s surprising to me. I always thought the chemical composition of a generic version of a drug was the exact same as the name brand. :?
Now depoliticized.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So generics now have generics? We're gonna need a name for them....how bout placebo? No wait thats already taken. How about "Other Ingredients'? No active in them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
RM2

Post by RM2 »

Worked as a chemist for many years in pharma (retired now) and the chemical composition of a generic is not identical to the brand product, what is supposed to be identical is the therapeutic effect. It has been known for many years within pharma people that generics do not always live up to being therapeutically identical to the brand product. Generally they are very effective substitutes but issues do crop up. I would recommend never taking a generic but obviously that is not possible with the state of health insurance unless you are prepared to fork over a lot of extra money.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:57 pm That’s surprising to me. I always thought the chemical composition of a generic version of a drug was the exact same as the name brand. :?
In theory, sure. But in practice, I would not be shocked to learn that compounding companies that submit the lowest bid to supply a generic might be cutting a few corners in order to squeeze out a bigger profit. Also the big new thing now is biosimilar drugs, which are not exact copies of the original drug:
A biosimilar (also known as follow-on biologic or subsequent entry biologic) is a biologic medical product that is almost an identical copy of an original product that is manufactured by a different company. Biosimilars are officially approved versions of original "innovator" products and can be manufactured when the original product's patent expires. Reference to the innovator product is an integral component of the approval.

Unlike with generic drugs of the more common small-molecule type, biologics generally exhibit high molecular complexity and may be quite sensitive to changes in manufacturing processes. Despite that heterogeneity, all biopharmaceuticals, including biosimilars, must maintain consistent quality and clinical performance throughout their lifecycle.
The Ontario provincial government recently passed new regulations that mandate the use of biosimilar drugs for patients whose prescriptions are covered by provincial health care. Because why provide poor people with effective drugs when there are profits to be made in providing the cheapest drugs they can get.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

There was a pretty big issue with the generic maker of Wellbutrin, and a lawsuit, etc, if I am not mistaken. Maybe Teva?

Apparently it was years ago, but interesingly, or sadly maybe, I have taken both the brand name Wellbutrin and a generic (this was about a year ago I guess), and the generic immediately (like within less than 24h IIRC) gave me measurable heart palpitations, making my Apple Watch go nuts. I had also previously taken the brand name for more than a year and did not once have that effect. My wife also tried the generic Wellbutrin and had similar palpitations.

Note that it took me months to narrow down that it was the generic Wellbutrin causing the issue...I blamed everything else at first (as did my dr). and he had the balls/lack of knowledge to state that he had never heard of such an issue. It took me about 5m of googling when I started to suspect it was the generic Wellbutrin. :roll:

Too bad, because it was a great drug IMO. Probably the only thing I've tried (of many) that had a noticeable effect on my ADHD.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Gah. Humanity. Human life vs profit.

Ya know what? I'm going to go campaign for coal. We need more global warming - we don't deserve to be here. The sooner we're gone, the sooner the octopods will get their chance.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:47 pm There was a pretty big issue with the generic maker of Wellbutrin, and a lawsuit, etc, if I am not mistaken. Maybe Teva?

Apparently it was years ago, but interesingly, or sadly maybe, I have taken both the brand name Wellbutrin and a generic (this was about a year ago I guess), and the generic immediately (like within less than 24h IIRC) gave me measurable heart palpitations, making my Apple Watch go nuts. I had also previously taken the brand name for more than a year and did not once have that effect. My wife also tried the generic Wellbutrin and had similar palpitations.

Note that it took me months to narrow down that it was the generic Wellbutrin causing the issue...I blamed everything else at first (as did my dr). and he had the balls/lack of knowledge to state that he had never heard of such an issue. It took me about 5m of googling when I started to suspect it was the generic Wellbutrin. :roll:

Too bad, because it was a great drug IMO. Probably the only thing I've tried (of many) that had a noticeable effect on my ADHD.
Two weeks on a generic wellbuturin gave me first ever panic attack and it endured for a chunk of weekend. You don't want one of those. Crazy paranoia. Tunnelvision. Can't stop moving. Heart and breathing rate won't slow. I'd rather die than live like what I was going through. I then went through withdraw, for three months, refusing to touch an SSRI ever since. I can't say if it was the generic or the wellbutrin but never again. My trust for head meds and willingness to switch coctails every three months until we find what works, and never worked for anything better for me, went to nearly 0 at that point. We eventually settled on an uppper, Modafinil, that I took until it gave me TMJ. Then I finally just quit working.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:50 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:47 pm There was a pretty big issue with the generic maker of Wellbutrin, and a lawsuit, etc, if I am not mistaken. Maybe Teva?

Two weeks on a generic wellbuturin gave me first ever panic attack and it endured for a chunk of weekend. You don't want one of those. Crazy paranoia. Tunnelvision. Can't stop moving. Heart and breathing rate won't slow. I'd rather die than live like what I was going through. I then went through withdraw, for three months, refusing to touch an SSRI ever since. I can't say if it was the generic or the wellbutrin but never again. My trust for head meds and willingness to switch coctails every three months until we find what works, and never worked for anything better for me, went to nearly 0 at that point. We eventually settled on an uppper, Modafinil, that I took until it gave me TMJ. Then I finally just quit working.
What did the Dr. say to that reaction? So curious. Also, I'm here to tell you that the OG Wellbutrin (if they still even make it), was the shiznit. Knock-off, Kmart versions can kiss my ballsack.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:57 pm That’s surprising to me. I always thought the chemical composition of a generic version of a drug was the exact same as the name brand. :?
Me too. It has always been described to me as a copy of the chemical formula from the branded product.

edit: I am shocked and dismayed to learn otherwise.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:46 pm The Ontario provincial government recently passed new regulations that mandate the use of biosimilar drugs for patients whose prescriptions are covered by provincial health care. Because why provide poor people with effective drugs when there are profits to be made in providing the cheapest drugs they can get.
For the Americans, current Ontario government is conservative.

Surprise.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'd characterize them as populist "conservative". Ford has more than a whiff of Trump about him, but he inherited political connections along with wealth.

One of the things Ford is into is deregulation. Staying on the theme of generic drugs, under the previous (Liberal) provincial government, pharmacies were forbidden from buying drugs from their own generic brands. This was to prevent them from controlling the entire vertical supply chain and being able to set prices however they saw fit. It would have been impossible for Shopper's to fill my prescriptions with Sanis drugs under that regulatory framework. At some point after Ford came into power, that was apparently quietly nullified, opening the way for Shopper's to push their own brand almost to the exclusion of other options -- when they refill my BP medication there is always a delay in filling the prescription because they have to special order it because they only stock their own brand. At no point was this change publicly announced, and I've seen no reporting on it. The only reason I even know that Sanis is owned by Shopper's is due to reporting from several years ago when they sued the provincial government over the prohibition.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:25 am I'd characterize them as populist "conservative". Ford has more than a whiff of Trump about him, but he inherited political connections along with wealth.
Ok.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Texas A&M is a pit of political interference. With it's President resigning amidst the wreckage of an academic recruiting scandal and these revelations it's academic reputation is taking real body blows. Even worse when you read the long story and understand how ridiculous the affair was. A politically connected student made a complaint about a comment that lead to her being suspended and censured even though no one can even tell her WHAT THE COMMENT WAS. Kafkaesque and frankly a 'don't dare call it fascism' type moment.
Joy Alonzo, a respected opioid expert, was in a panic.

The Texas A&M University professor had just returned home from giving a routine lecture on the opioid crisis at the University of Texas Medical Branch when she learned a student had accused her of disparaging Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick during the talk.

In the few hours it took to drive from Galveston, the complaint had made its way to her supervisors, and Alonzo’s job was suddenly at risk.

“I am in a ton of trouble. Please call me!” she wrote to Chandler Self, the UTMB professor who invited her to speak.

Alonzo was right to be afraid. Not only were her supervisors involved, but so was Chancellor John Sharp, a former state comptroller who now holds the highest-ranking position in the Texas A&M University System, which includes 11 public universities and 153,000 students. And Sharp was communicating directly with the lieutenant governor’s office about the incident, promising swift action.

Less than two hours after the lecture ended, Patrick’s chief of staff had sent Sharp a link to Alonzo’s professional bio.

Shortly after, Sharp sent a text directly to the lieutenant governor: “Joy Alonzo has been placed on administrative leave pending investigation re firing her. shud [sic] be finished by end of week.”

The text message was signed “jsharp.”

For free speech advocates, health experts and students, Texas A&M’s investigation of Alonzo was a shocking demonstration of how quickly university leaders allow politicians to interfere in classroom discussions on topics in which they are not experts — and another example of increasing political involvement from state leaders in how Texas universities are managed.

The revelation comes as Texas A&M is reeling over concerns that the university allowed politically motivated outsiders to derail the hiring of Kathleen McElroy, a Black journalism professor at the University of Texas at Austin, to revive the journalism school at Texas A&M. The subsequent outcry over how Texas A&M handled the situation prompted the university president to resign last week, and the interim dean of arts and sciences stepped down from that role but will remain a professor.

A few hours after Texas A&M started looking into the complaint, course leaders at UTMB sent an email to students in the class saying Alonzo’s comments “about Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick and his role in the opioid crisis” did not represent the opinion of the university.

The email also included a “formal censure” of Alonzo, although it did not specify what she said that was offensive.

Neither UTMB nor Texas A&M would confirm what Alonzo said that prompted such a reaction, and UTMB students interviewed by the Tribune recalled a vague reference to Patrick’s office but nothing specific.

Alonzo has spent more than two decades as a pharmacist in Japan, Missouri and elsewhere, and has taught college students in Texas for more than a decade. She now teaches at Texas A&M while working as an ambulatory care pharmacy director at a free health clinic in Bryan.

She has helped bring millions of federal research dollars to the university, and last year Texas A&M’s pharmacy school named her the early career researcher of the year.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:44 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:50 am

What did the Dr. say to that reaction? So curious. Also, I'm here to tell you that the OG Wellbutrin (if they still even make it), was the shiznit. Knock-off, Kmart versions can kiss my ballsack.
She wasn't happy. She wrote me a prescription for generic Xanax to get me through. We tried a max does of generic adderol and it didn't do anything. Not even give me jitters as she feared the dosage might do. So then I got put on Modafinal. It reduced my exhaustion and I could actually focus again at least a bit. I stayed on this until I started getting TMJ so bad at night I'd wake up with my jaw in pain. So I eventually stopped that as well.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Did Mitch McConnell just have a stroke?

Serious question. Something neurological seems to have occurred.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:07 pm

Did Mitch McConnell just have a stroke?

Serious question. Something neurological seems to have occurred.
wow that was weird to watch. Hope he is ok.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I hope he leaves politics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I can find absolutely no other news on this.

Oh wait, found at least one thing...
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... -rcna96486

A few minutes later, McConnell walked back to the news conference by himself. When asked about his health, he said he was fine. Asked whether he is fully able to do his job, McConnell said, "Yeah."

Asked about the episode, a McConnell aide pointed to the GOP leader saying, “I’m fine,” but the aide added that McConnell “felt lightheaded and stepped away for a moment."

"He came back to handle Q and A, which as everyone observed was sharp," the aide said.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So I have a theory that what we just watched was Sam Beckett entering Mitch McConnell's body.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:56 pm I hope he leaves politics.
Kinda hope he stays, now!

Feinstein situation, etc.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:14 pm So I have a theory that what we just watched was Sam Beckett entering Mitch McConnell's body.
Nice.

"Sam, Ziggy says there's an 82.5% chance that you need to save the Republic..."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh boy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isn't it wonderful to have a caste of leaders who are willing to sacrifice so much. I mean they are willing to die on their feet at work for us. They clearly don't want to impose the burden of responsibility on their now past middle age children. Luckily they've done a superb job so far. /s
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Police culture is bizarre.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Meanwhile, while serving a warrant, they'll shoot your dog for barking at them.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:15 pm Isn't it wonderful to have a caste of leaders who are willing to sacrifice so much. I mean they are willing to die on their feet at work for us. They clearly don't want to impose the burden of responsibility on their now past middle age children. Luckily they've done a superb job so far. /s
Maybe they can work out a deal where Mitch and Feinstein both retire - she's clearly unable to serve
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., mistakenly started reading a statement during a routine vote Thursday − another awkward moment at the Capitol that has fueled questions about whether the 90-year-old lawmaker is in decline.

During a Senate Appropriations Committee markup, Feinstein was supposed to cast her vote on a Defense funding bill, saying either “aye” or “nay” after her name was called. Feinstein was prompted multiple times to vote, but she started reading prepared remarks supporting the legislation.

An aide went to the Feinstein's side to guide her to vote, and shortly thereafter Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., told her, “Just say ‘aye.’"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At what point is the US Capitol Building going to be certified as a nursing home?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm putting this here because I'm speechless.

It took me a second as well. I feel like...this isn't a coincidence. He can't be writing these himself, right?
Spoiler:
The 14/88 inclusion in this message *has* to be a reference to Hitler and White Supremacy, right? Right??
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I would have never noticed. Isn't he a bit more obvious and a bit less subtle?

https://apnews.com/article/robert-f-ken ... 0552a40bb4

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rfk-jr- ... =101323851

Like how he has to talk about his father or uncle in every statement he makes.

Post by Default »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:59 am
Me too. It has always been described to me as a copy of the chemical formula from the branded product.

edit: I am shocked and dismayed to learn otherwise.
My buddy works for an outfit that does crystal fractometry, which I think is the spelling. They do have a fair amount of business from drug companies that actually look at the crystalline structure of a drug and try and find one where the structure is different so they can call the same thing a different chemical, a different medicine name brand. I just read that there's another new drug on the market coming out in 2024 for ADHD, and it is basically methylphenidate. But it's different enough that they can give it a new brand name and charge exorbitant amounts of money for it.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:55 pm I'm putting this here because I'm speechless.

It took me a second as well. I feel like...this isn't a coincidence. He can't be writing these himself, right?
Spoiler:
The 14/88 inclusion in this message *has* to be a reference to Hitler and White Supremacy, right? Right??
It moat likely is. The unnecessary and incorrect hyphens kind of call it out.

Also, can he please mention his father a few more times?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Don't you need to win the primary for one of the major parties before you're considered a "candidate for President"? Surely the Secret Service doesn't dispatch security details for every Tom, Dick and Harriet that says they'd like to have the job.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"How the government decides when (and which) presidential candidates get Secret Service"

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/ ... -rcna96926
But the secretary of the Department of Homeland
Security has wide latitude to decide who qualifies and why, after consultation with an advisory committee. The committee is comprised of high-level members of the government including the speaker of the House, the House minority leader, the Senate majority leader, the Senate minority leader and one additional member chosen by the committee.

The Secret Service laid out a number of other factors explaining why not every declared presidential candidate gets a Secret Service detail and what goes into making that decision. The 2020 guidance lists polling thresholds for primary candidates or third-party general election nominees. And it also says the decision could be guided by a specific assessment of threats against that candidate.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:55 pm It took me a second as well. I feel like...this isn't a coincidence. He can't be writing these himself, right?
Spoiler:
Given the recent in-house DeSantis video that climaxed in unambiguous neo-Nazi iconography, I'm starting to think that right-wing and chaos candidacies are rife with young staffers of the Charleston generation.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Why would he even want government protection? Wouldn't that just make it easier for the government to kill him?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:15 am
In all honestly though I am fine with watching them launch themselves into space. My issue is that we let them back.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I loled when I saw this: