[DC] Superman: Legacy

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[DC] Superman: Legacy

Post by Isgrimnur »

James Gunn Taps David Corenswet And Rachel Brosnahan To Play Clark Kent And Lois Lane In DC Studios Film
For Corenswet, the film will mark his first major leading role in a major studio film having previously appeared in projects like Pearl, The Politician and We Own This City. From the start, his name has floated to the top and, following that final audition, sealed the deal on the biggest role of his career so far.

Brosnahan is coming off the final season of her career-making role in Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which has earned a number of accolades including an Emmy win. She also has been at the top of the list of woman to play Lois Lane following what many have described as the best audition of the process.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Re: [DC] Superman: Legacy

Post by hepcat »

He looks like Cavill to me.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never heard of this corn sweat kid. Corns wet. Corenswet.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My wife is interested now just because she wants to see Brosnahan in a completely different role. I am curious as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

‘Superman: Legacy’ Nabs ‘Barry’ Star Anthony Carrigan as DC Hero Metamorpho
aka archeologist-turned-hero Rex Mason.
Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter following his Emmy nomination, Carrigan, who has alopecia, explained that he had Metamorpho on his radar before getting the role. “I like comic books, but I’m not a diehard, but I did when all my hair fell out, go through the kind of pantheon of all of these bald superheroes and supervillains and made note of all of them,” Carrigan said. “I remember seeing Metamorpho and I think he had like a giant like hammer for a hand and I was like, that guy’s badass. Noted. We’ll store that one away.”

Carrigan said that playing the character is meaningful as a member of the alopecia community. “This character from what I’ve learned of the source material, he didn’t like the way he looked, and I can really relate to that,” The actor added. “You know, when he got his powers he thought it was a curse. That’s something that I really felt as well. In my case, I turned it around and saw it as a blessing. So I’m excited to bring that to the table with this character.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cardigan deserves this and much more. The guy is a great character actor.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He did great in his last visit to the DC universe (as Victor Zsasz in Gotham.)

Also, I'll leave this here:

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

If we're at the point where a live action Metamorpho is considered a good idea then I think comic book movies have finally jumped the shark. Next thing you know Hepcat's wet dream of a Paste Pot Pete movie will become a reality.

FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:16 am If we're at the point where a live action Metamorpho is considered a good idea then I think comic book movies have finally jumped the shark. Next thing you know Hepcat's wet dream of a Paste Pot Pete movie will become a reality.
I think it's actually a great idea. The majority of the heroes we've covered so far in movies are mostly just the same thing over and over and over again.

I love movies like Guardians of the Galaxy because they go outside that box. They bring us characters who may be broken or flawed to a greater degree than the other entries in franchises.

I'd kill to see a Plastic Man movie, myself. That's another esoteric entry that has a lot of potential.

Also, a Triple P movie isn't a dream, it's just an unfulfilled reality.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:20 am
Scraper wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:16 am If we're at the point where a live action Metamorpho is considered a good idea then I think comic book movies have finally jumped the shark. Next thing you know Hepcat's wet dream of a Paste Pot Pete movie will become a reality.
I think it's actually a great idea. The majority of the heroes we've covered so far in movies are mostly just the same thing over and over and over again.

I love movies like Guardians of the Galaxy because they go outside that box. They bring us characters who may be broken or flawed to a greater degree than the other entries in franchises.

I'd kill to see a Plastic Man movie, myself. That's another esoteric entry that has a lot of potential.

Also, a Triple P movie isn't a dream, it's just an unfulfilled reality.
I rest my case.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As do I. :D
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This is James Gunn, who took a raccoon and an ent that almost nobody had heard of and made them household names. Who then made a film featuring (to one degree or another) Polka Dot Man and Arm Fall Off Boy, facing an obscure villain I would have bet would never appear in a live-action film. Who then made a series based on one of the obscure characters from that (Peacemaker) that was fantastic. And, for the most part, they have been some of the freshest, most unique superhero movies/shows in years.

Although after the Arrowverse Elastic Man debacle, I wouldn't be surprised to see them back burner anything similar (like Plastic Man, for whom Elastic Man was a knock-off) for a while, the same way I don't think we're going to be seeing much of Barry Allen (the Flash) for a while after Miller. I wouldn't be surprised if Gunn doesn't include Flash in his universe, and if he does, it will probably be some variant of Wally West. I am curious to see which absurd all-CGI

But when it comes down to it, I'm just glad that they're using a Green Lantern that isn't Hal Jordan for once (although I would have preferred John Stewart or Baz/Cruz.)

I have higher hopes for DC film now than I have since before Man of Steel moped onto our screens. Well, depending on how the writer's strike goes. We could end up with all-CGI films from AI-written scripts going forward (and if they could get reliable voice generation, I wouldn't be surprised to see them actually try that.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was initially worried that Gunn wouldn't be capable of the level of humanity that a good Superman story deserves (the Christopher Reeve first movie is the gold standard for that) as he tends to focus more on the comedy at times, but Guardians of the Galaxy 3 proved that concern was unmerited.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm actually curious to see how he'll handle the Superman problem (how do you make an invicible god feel challenged in a way that the audience will buy into?) It's the biggest issue with practically every Superman adaptation, and it's only rarely been addressed well.

The early cartoons and shows had a much weaker Superman.

Superman: The Animated Series followed the same formula - he was tough, but not invincible.

Smallville managed to have Krytonite lying around in everyone's jewelry box.

Donner gave him an impossible choice between who to save when he couldn't save them all (which is a great way to handle Superman, although Donner went back and let him cheat his way out of it), and then was forced to give up his powers in the sequel.

Superman & Lois (from the one season I watched) didn't actually focus on Superman as much as it did on his kids.

Snyder tried to address it by giving him an impossible choice, but failed in the execution (nobody believed that his only option was to kill Zod.)

Marvel had the same problem with Thor, and addressed it by taking away his powers in the first movie, then moving him over to comic relief.

If anyone can come up with a novel solution to the Superman problem, it's Gunn.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

For my money, the only time it's been handled well is when Superman is stripped of his powers or greatly weakened (see Superman II, the only time I've truly been afraid for Superman). You either have to weaken Superman, or put him up against a villain who is more invincible. :lol: It's like a superhero arms race.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't think it's necessary to find ways to physically weaken Superman to tell a good Superman story. I think the character's desire to save everyone, but knowing he can't; his refusal to let his god like abilities make him believe he's a god; and his connection to his family (and, by extension, humanity) are the strong points of the character. You can work with those themes and create a great Superman story without having to physically limit him every time you want to do so.
He won. Period.