The Equalizer - Remember the 80's show?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Brian

The Equalizer - Remember the 80's show?

Post by Brian »

Well now it's undergoing a reimaging for the big screen starring Denzel Washington and Chloë Grace Moretz.

Damned if it doesn't look pretty friggin' good, too.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Equalizer - Remember the 80's show?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I loved the show back when it was on, it was really gritty and realistic for TV for the time. Edward Woodward baby. And his son was Billy Zabka IIRC. Yeah, him.

Not sure how Denzel will translate because Woodward played it as English finesse with English badass. Denzel is more American badass.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Brian

Post by Brian »

Really it looks like Man On Fire 2 except changing the Mexicans into Russians... but I’m OK with that.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Brian wrote:Really it looks like Man On Fire 2 except changing the Mexicans into Russians... but I’m OK with that.
Exactly what I was thinking!

It does look pretty good. I actually laughed out loud at the "for you I'll make an exception" line. :mrgreen:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Had me at Denzel. I will watch/seek out anything that that guy chooses to be in, and enjoy the hell out of it for his acting, even if the surrounding movie is shit.

TV?! How in the hell did someone get him to do TV? I can't imagine what they must be paying him. That's amazing, but I look forward to it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote:TV?! How in the hell did someone get him to do TV? I can't imagine what they must be paying him. That's amazing, but I look forward to it.
Um, what?
Brian wrote:reimaging for the big screen
It's a film, not a new series.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I think as long as you go into this expecting it to have little to nothing in common with the original show beside the title, it will be ok. From the trailer it doesnt look like it has any of the depth of The Equalizer series, like Brian said its Man on Fire 2. I would prefer a faithful adaptation but Im sure this will be a good action flick.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

rshetts2 wrote: it to have little to nothing in common with the original show beside the title,
Then why buy the rights? Weird.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
rshetts2 wrote: it to have little to nothing in common with the original show beside the title,
Then why buy the rights? Weird.
Because Hollywood.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

The last mention I heard of The Equalizer was in The Wolf of Wall Street, when Rob Reiner was watching it and got upset because the phone rang. Before that, I have to say I haven't heard anything about it since it was on TV.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sectoid wrote:The last mention I heard of The Equalizer was in The Wolf of Wall Street, when Rob Reiner was watching it and got upset because the phone rang. Before that, I have to say I haven't heard anything about it since it was on TV.
Heh, me too. Of course I remember it being on TV, but I was never really into it. Might have watched a couple episodes. Also, if that was on at even approximately the same time as Miami Vice, that would also explain my lack of interest.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I loved the Equalizer! Bitter ex-spy wanting to do some good in the world, the Stewart Copeland soundtrack, Adam Ant guest starring in one of the episodes, crazy Mickey Kostmayer played by Keith Szarabajka who's in all sorts of things, the cynical yet good hearted Control, and even Robert Mitchum was the lead for a bit while Edward Woodward was recovering from a heart attack. This show and Wiseguy were two big favorites of mine.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rip

Post by Rip »

$iljanus wrote:I loved the Equalizer! Bitter ex-spy wanting to do some good in the world, the Stewart Copeland soundtrack, Adam Ant guest starring in one of the episodes, crazy Mickey Kostmayer played by Keith Szarabajka who's in all sorts of things, the cynical yet good hearted Control, and even Robert Mitchum was the lead for a bit while Edward Woodward was recovering from a heart attack. This show and Wiseguy were two big favorites of mine.
I loved that it wasn't all about violence against the wrongdoers. It was often a crafty trap. I especially liked that it always involved the victims getting some type of reparations. At least in every one I remember. The thing that worries me is that they will turn it into just being about Denzel beating up whoever the bad guy is.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never watched it...I thought the lead guy was too old to take seriously at the time..I was in my teens I think so anyone over 30 was ancient....I actually thought Harrison Ford was too old as the first Indy. Little did I know.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Rip wrote:
$iljanus wrote:I loved the Equalizer! Bitter ex-spy wanting to do some good in the world, the Stewart Copeland soundtrack, Adam Ant guest starring in one of the episodes, crazy Mickey Kostmayer played by Keith Szarabajka who's in all sorts of things, the cynical yet good hearted Control, and even Robert Mitchum was the lead for a bit while Edward Woodward was recovering from a heart attack. This show and Wiseguy were two big favorites of mine.
I loved that it wasn't all about violence against the wrongdoers. It was often a crafty trap. I especially liked that it always involved the victims getting some type of reparations. At least in every one I remember. The thing that worries me is that they will turn it into just being about Denzel beating up whoever the bad guy is.
That made sense since it seemed that McCall was also tired of killing. Of course, if someone needed equalizing via the point of a gun he was more than capable.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And to ad..Denzel..ya Ill watch anything with him..the guy is awesome. Watching the trailer makes me want to rewatch Deja Vu and Unstoppable
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tgb

Post by tgb »

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I loved the TV show. The trailer, with Denzel having an arsenal, and clicking his watch to determine how long it will take him to kick everyones butt...

I don't remember the equalizer ever looking for a fight, he just never could get the bad guys attention without one.

So while this might be a good action movie, I am not sure it is going to make me think Equalizer at all...

<shrug> I could be wrong, but the trailer doesn't really give me the right vibe.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Saw this tonight via free PPP, had a coupon. Really enjoyed it, Denzel is such a badass. And I had no idea that you could find so many weapons in a home improvement store. I liked the ending as he became "what he was meant to be". Good flick.
Last edited by Grifman on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

but not a good Equalizer flick. It was Man on Fire not man on a slow burn.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Crux

Post by Crux »

RMC wrote:I loved the TV show. The trailer, with Denzel having an arsenal, and clicking his watch to determine how long it will take him to kick everyones butt...

I don't remember the equalizer ever looking for a fight, he just never could get the bad guys attention without one.

So while this might be a good action movie, I am not sure it is going to make me think Equalizer at all...

<shrug> I could be wrong, but the trailer doesn't really give me the right vibe.
Without spoiling anything, he tries other means before things reach that stage in the scene you're referring to.
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

3?! Did we skip 2?
Hell I never even watched the first one AFAIK.

RT, you know me:

The Equalizer 60%
The Equalizer 2 52%
The Equalizer 3 ??? (I’ll guess…43%)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You down with RT'S Ps?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:19 am You down with RT'S Ps?
Well yeah, I love 'em juicy. Tomatoes, obviously (who doesn't??).
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The first one was fun. The second one, while not as good, had enough moments to make me watch the third.

It helps that I'm a big Denzel fan.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

+1
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I liked the first one, but completely forgot that the second one came out.

I might have skipped the first one had I seen the score first and missed a fun movie - which is why I avoid that type of 'scoring' system like the plague. They're inevitably the consolidated positions of a multitude of film experts who love to analyze every element of the plot and production from a professional perspective. I'm not a film expert. I watch films to enjoy myself, and I've found that a significant portion of the things that the critics nitpick are things I'd never have been aware of to begin with.

It's also why I generally don't read any reviews until after I've seen a movie.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

geezer

Post by geezer »

So basically, people like dumb movies, critics don't.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I seldom read critics reviews before I see a film. They seldom agree with me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

geezer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:13 pm
So basically, people like dumb movies, critics don't.
I'd go with 'people watch movies, critics analyze them.' And since I'm not a critic, their analysis isn't all that relevant. Critics tend to fall back on objective technical analysis. That's fine if you're a film student, but for the rest of us, enjoyment is subjective.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

In my experience, a really good movie rarely generates a lot of Bad Reviews.

And yet, a really bad movie can absolutely generate unwarranted Good Reviews, that's for $ure.

True art is being able to read between the lines in bad Reviews to know if it's your schtick - - those are the ones that can be hidden gems (to you).

Rotten Tomatoes reviews.

Warcraft: Critics(28%) vs Audience(76%)
It's not a good move, it's just that anyone that would go out of their way to see it was inclined to like it.

Sausage Party: Critics(82%) vs Audience(50%)
It's a raunchy dumb movie... half the people that saw it think... Critics apparently judged it as "but is it a good raunchy dumb movie?" and/or they were paid to like it.

King Kong: critics(84%) audiences(50%)
Critics were stroking the Peter Jackson johnson, and the fans thought it was just too CGI.

Antz: Critics(92%), audience(52%)
Critics watch movies all the time and didn't get the "It's not Bugs Life - Pooey" mindset... but audiences mostly rejected it.

Venom: Critics(30%), audiences (80%).
Critics were very critical (I think many were, I never saw it - and I always assumed this film did have issues) - but audiences generally gave it all a pass and just enjoyed it.

Spy Kids: Critics (93%) - audiences (46%)
lol - I know this movie. It was garbage, but my kids actually totally enjoyed it... and yet I bet they don't remember it very much at all. I think both Critics and Audiences were right.

Harlem Nights: Critics(25%) vs audience (80%). The critics hated it... audiences generally loved it. I'd argue they both are a little wrong.

Sponge Bob Movie - Sponge Out of Water : critics (81%) vs audience (54%).
Critics nailed it.

I don't think there is any rule to be found.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:41 am In my experience, a really good movie rarely generates a lot of Bad Reviews.

And yet, a really bad movie can absolutely generate unwarranted Good Reviews, that's for $ure.
Very true.

I’m not a fan of the school of “critics are wrong until they like something I like” thought. If you like a film that critics don’t, it’s fine. But that doesn’t mean it’s a good film and they’re all wrong.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I lean heavily on RT (and to a lesser extent Metacritic for games) because it almost always tracks with my…taste for lack of a better word.

Occasionally I will watch something that scored in the 90’s only to scratch my head later wondering why (very rarely, and usually applies to a specific genre, like kung fu, etc).

Even more rare is watching and enjoying a movie that had a terrible score (exceptions: some silly comedies)

We’ve had this discussion before, but in a world with seemingly infinite content, I use it to weed out all the shite if you will. :D

Life’s too short to watch a movie that many people who watch movies for a living, think is garbage.

Can they be “wrong”? (Emphasis on the quotes there) Sure! But the beauty of aggregation is that a lot/most of them have to be wrong, for it to significantly affect the score.

My sister is pretty much the opposite of me: she seems to love movies that have terrible RT scores, and dislike quite a few that had great reviews. Her tastes aren’t wrong in any way, just different than mine, and I’m lucky to have a rating system that tracks with mine…very convenient!

Interestingly, or not, IMDb seems to be much less aligned with my opinions for whatever reason.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I own streaming copies of Con Air, Soldier and The Postman. I will watch them every few years and enjoy myself. But I will readily admit they're not good films.

But a franchise like the Underworld films baffle me. I can't see how they're even bad films that are enjoyable. They just strike me as bad films....period. But then I remember that The Postman is sitting in my library and I try to shut up...

...not successfully, mind you. But I try. :P
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Equalizer 3 is a gorgeous, moody, and brutally violent wandering-samurai-style action film which is nearly brought down by some stupid plot points. At 109 minutes, it's leaner than the series's previous entries and better for it. With a welcome scenery change, it feels a lot more focused and less generic, but it also deconstructs and simplifies the main character which IMO does him a disservice. Somber, contemplative McCall is largely supplanted by haunted, Rambo McCall.

There are fewer callbacks to the earlier films than you'd expect (again, this might be a plus--I was so tired of the Bourne lore by the 19th film), but there's one key reference that made me roll my eyes and probably won't be very meaningful to you unless you've recently re-watched the others.

5.5 out of 8 tentacles. You know what you're getting into, but the setting elevates it to the next level. There's some outstanding lighting and set dressing in this, though occasionally it's a little over the top.
Spoiler:
Statue room, I'm looking at you.
Honestly, this is what I hoped John Wick would be.

Spoiler:
Whyyyy did they have to add the CIA subplot. The film just doesn't need it, and it was so goofy. Why is this young, analyst-type agent leading a taskforce in a foreign country? Why isn't McCall taken into custody after not one, but two killing sprees? (I mean, that's not what anyone wants from this kind of story, but suspension of disbelief goes out the window once the CIA tracks him down.) At least they lampshade the character's miraculous ability to avoid being caught by surveillance (a laughable element in the second film).

If he was trying to help Fanning's character, maybe he shouldn't have put her in an extremely dangerous situation?!

Jihad drugs smuggled in Syrian wine bottles? LMAO!

Just flesh out the Camorra plot and let it stand on its own. Bloody hell....

His reason for being in Italy in the first place isn't revealed until the end, either, and it's completely underwhelming.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The last Wick entry was a bit of a muddied mess, but the world building of the series is light years ahead of the crap the Equalizer films cribs from other movie franchises and then shits out for audiences.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Let me clarify that I didn't care for the first two films in the Equalizer series. Equalizer 3 is the The Wolverine (2013) in Japan of the series, it's largely disconnected from the previous films.

As for John Wick, I thought the first film was OK but I wasn't really looking for a graphic-novel-like mythical world. The tone of these franchises are different. Equalizer 3 is just more in line with what I "wanted" from what I expected John Wick to be.

Equalizer 3 is a modestly above average wondering samurai action flick set in a gorgeous region of Italy. It's not the best film in its subgenre, or anything.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While I thought the world building of the Wick films is what saved it from becoming a cliched franchise.
He won. Period.