Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrothgar

Re: Random randomness

Post by Hrothgar »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:59 pm Just had the biggest damned Brown Recluse jump on me and run across my chest I've ever seen. Thankfully he seemed to be in a hurry.
You're not worried about what it was afraid of?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

There was a sale on roaches in the kitchen.
Actually I would pay him.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How do you know you're a zombie?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My little buddy Rocket got into the kitchen trash last night. Why did I not see that coming?
Goes to show how stupid you can get with olde age.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After 46 years it finally dawned on me.....in Star Wars during the trench run Han shows up and shoots Darth off target. How does it do that all alone in the cockpit? I mean before you always see him yelling "Man the guns!" and they have to have people shoot them. Is Chewy back there on a gun and if not how does he do it?

Could it be that small drop down turret we see him use in the hanger in escaping from Hoth In Empire?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:58 pm After 46 years it finally dawned on me.....in Star Wars during the trench run Han shows up and shoots Darth off target. How does it do that all alone in the cockpit? I mean before you always see him yelling "Man the guns!" and they have to have people shoot them. Is Chewy back there on a gun and if not how does he do it?

Could it be that small drop down turret we see him use in the hanger in escaping from Hoth In Empire?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

I thought the Falcon also had fixed forward-facing guns?

They'd be useless in a free-wheeling dogfight against more nimble TIE fighters, but Vader is traveling is a straight line with no room to maneuver (and even then Han only wings him).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If you're single how do you know when to take out the trash?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

"Take out"? Huh?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:58 pm After 46 years it finally dawned on me.....in Star Wars during the trench run Han shows up and shoots Darth off target. How does it do that all alone in the cockpit? I mean before you always see him yelling "Man the guns!" and they have to have people shoot them. Is Chewy back there on a gun and if not how does he do it?

Good point, but it's vague. From Wookiepedia:
The weaponry of the Millennium Falcon was normally suited for a much larger warship.[1] It included two CEC AG-2G quad laser cannons (one ventral and one dorsal) with enhanced laser actuators and gas feeds, which gave them maximum range and damage. Between the forward mandibles, there were two Arakyd ST2 concussion missile tubes, each of which carried a four-missile magazine.[12] Additionally, a BlasTech Ax-108 "Ground Buzzer" blaster cannon mounted near the ventral boarding ramp allowed its crew to defend the ship while on the ground.[1] Duralloy plates salvaged from an Imperial cruiser afforded the Falcon capital ship-class hull armor.[12]
Going back and looking at footage of all of them firing, plus the trench run... I'm going to say that it was the automated belly-gun. The reasoning: the manned turrets were quad cannons that fired blasts in pairs (two beams at once.) The shot that hit the TIE fighter was a single beam, like the belly-gun. Also, the belly-gun could be fired by computer. It's also possible that the two beams were just lined up so that they looked like one (after all, Han's wearing a coms headset, which he normally only wears when talking within the ship (IE - if Chewie was on the guns.) It's even more possible that they weren't paying that level of attention to the continuity and just made it a 'red laser.'

In any case, nobody shot Vader. Han/Chewie/the computer shot Wingman 1, after which Wingman 2 panicked and rammed Vader. Which is funny, as it's actually the thing that makes most sense continuity-wise from the perspective of the future films (a shot aimed at Vader likely would have triggered his Force senses.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:26 pm If you're single how do you know when to take out the trash?
Because I try to throw something away and it doesn't fit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:29 pm "Take out"? Huh?
In Americanese, it means to take the trash outside. After it’s outside, it’s an American tradition to then trigger what’s known as a “Trash Alarm” to alert everyone that you’ve brought the trash outside for everyone to see. Once everyone has observed your trash, and commented on its quality, we take it back inside where it is formed into what we call a “Trash Man”. This being made of pure garbage is accepted into the family unit and provides domestic help.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If he behaves himself, we even make him a Trash Truck to drive around in.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wont someone think of the pandas?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Or of the Burger Kings.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:58 pm automated belly-gun
The Ground Buzzer wasn't revealed until Empire.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And Wingman 1 was targeted by 2 lasers that come in on different angles.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:59 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:26 pm If you're single how do you know when to take out the trash?
Because I try to throw something away and it doesn't fit.
When it's spilled, it's filled.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:28 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:58 pm automated belly-gun
The Ground Buzzer wasn't revealed until Empire.
True.

But then again, I really don't think they thought too much about continuity and consistency when the first film was made. Lucas has let that slip over the years - half of the stuff they finally showed in Empire and Jedi (including the nature of the relationships within the Skywalker clan) wasn't even conceived of when they made the first film. There's the 'with what we know now' answer (which I poked around at above), and then there's the real answer, which is that they just threw things at the wall without paying attention to the little details (like how the shot was actually fired) the way they did later on.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres only a single good thing about the touched up trilogy...that they added a DONK! sound to the storm trooper hitting his head in the first movie. All the rest of the crap and cgi they shoulda left out. Im lucky to own the originals untouched on VHS.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:44 am Theres only a single good thing about the touched up trilogy...that they added a DONK! sound to the storm trooper hitting his head in the first movie. All the rest of the crap and cgi they shoulda left out. Im lucky to own the originals untouched on VHS.
Realistically, when was the last time you actually tried to play back your untouched VHS originals? Because unless you kept them stored in optimal, climate-controlled conditions and did not subject them to heavy usage in a VCR for repeated playback, by now they're likely significantly degraded, if not downright unwatchable:
capture.com wrote:How Long Do VHS Tapes Last?
The life expectancy of VHS tapes can vary greatly from one VHS cassette to another. In general, VHS tapes will start to degrade in as little as 10 years as the magnetic tape reels begin to experience signal loss.

On average, your priceless VHS tapes will degrade 10 to 20% over 10 to 25 years, which means your VHS tapes from the 1990s and early 2000s are highly susceptible to data loss, discoloration, fading, and other issues.

However, this is only an average and an estimate. The true lifespan of your video tapes is impacted by many different factors. Heat, humidity, and sunlight can all speed up deterioration. This is especially true if the conditions cause mold and mildew. Unfortunately, lots of people store their video cassettes in humid environments like basements.

The quality of the tape is also a concern. While reliable companies like Sony use high-quality Mylar phthalate-laden polyethylene, lesser-known brands may not produce durable old video tapes. Either way, heavy use in a VCR for repeated playback, fast-forwarding, or rewinding can wear out the tape path.

Even storage near a magnetic source can weaken the iron oxide magnetic particles and impact the VHS tape’s ability to hold information. Finally, recording over original memories or content can also reduce the expected lifespan because the magnetic particles will have to record new information.
So nowadays, you're probably better off downloading and watching the much higher quality Harmy's Despecialized Editions of the original trilogy rather than clinging to a fantasy of rewatching knackered and decrepit old VHS tapes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Actually Ive never played them. Kept them pristine as I could.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:13 am Actually Ive never played them. Kept them pristine as I could.
For what purpose? I mean, why concern yourself with hanging onto such obsolete clutter and keeping old VHS tapes "as pristine as you could," if you've never even bothered to play them or enjoy watching them? Seems like a recipe for pointless hoarding.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I agree.
In what way are you ‘lucky to have them’ , if you refuse to enjoy them.

I mean, they could be blank video tapes for all you know.
:)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Why do people keep anything they never use?
I suspect it's so they can sell them someday at a major profit or maybe they just like to have it.
I have a major gun collection.What's the purpose?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got them to collect initially. But it wasn't long after that..like a couple years ...that Lucas 'touched up' the original trilogy to bs levels and I knew I not only had a collectors item for myself but one I might one day sell for a good profit. May do that someday soon. Having untouched original movies is quite a boon Id imagine to some.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:27 am I got them to collect initially. But it wasn't long after that..like a couple years ...that Lucas 'touched up' the original trilogy to bs levels and I knew I not only had a collectors item for myself but one I might one day sell for a good profit. May do that someday soon. Having untouched original movies is quite a boon Id imagine to some.
Perhaps, if your idea of a "a good profit" is $9.00 on Ebay? As Unagi aptly observes, they could be tapes of white noise or blank for all you know, so you'd best get to testing and selling them before they degrade away to nothingness, otherwise you're just pointlessly hoarding worthless junk.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Above and beyond all that, if you're living without water (or a washing machine), complaining about your mortgage while holding on to tapes that *might* have value and you have no intention of watching...figure things out here.

I know you've been selling stuff and dealing with crazy people, but keep at it - no need to hold on to things for some magical future payoff when you can literally use the money right now.

It's not easy - believe me, I know. Had to deal with too much stuff while moving back in 2019, and I still have too much stuff.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:47 am Perhaps, if your idea of a "quite a boon" is $9.00 on Ebay?
Well, there is someone asking $15 too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

All of which is why I bought a video-to-USB attachment about five years ago, which passes RCA jacks (red/white/yellow) to USB. I dug my VHS out of the back of the closet, hooked it up to my PC, and copies all of the few remaining videotapes I owned over (almost all were old home movies.)

The VHS then went bye-bye.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well guess theres no money in that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:04 pm Well guess theres no money in that.
So you'd might as well watch 'em or copy 'em. Or feel that since you own them, you might be justified in acquiring digital copies by other means.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My MILs birthday today. She'd have been 105. She also lost one of her brothers on this day.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to feel my MIL lived too damn long. But Ive mellowed since she passed and can feel ok with her and her shit towards me.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I keep a small pile of individually wrapped cleaning wipes at my desk to clean off laptops, phones, monitors, etc before deploying them to clients.

I needed to clean off a Cisco desk phone and grabbed a wipe off my desk and ripped it open....it was a packet of crushed red peppers from the pizza I had last week.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:lol:
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:53 am My MILs birthday today. She'd have been 105. She also lost one of her brothers on this day.
Coincidence, or was the brother at D-Day?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

D-Day. He was a pilot I believe.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Am I alone in my hatred for the spork? The almighty spork?

Its useless.The tines of the fork part are too short to actually work as a fork and spear anything and when you try using it as a spoon to dollop up liquids the fork parts are in the way and prevent you from doing so.

Useless. Hate'm
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:10 am Am I alone in my hatred for the spork? The almighty spork?

Its useless.The tines of the fork part are too short to actually work as a fork and spear anything and when you try using it as a spoon to dollop up liquids the fork parts are in the way and prevent you from doing so.

Useless. Hate'm