Tom Clancy's The Division 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

habibi

Re: Tom Clancy's The Division 2

Post by habibi »

Found this thread. I’m guessing this game is not popular here. I recently went back into this game after purchasing the Warlords of New York expansion during the sale in Steam two weeks ago. I must say that I’m hooked all over again. I haven’t been to NYC yet, but the current romp in DC, which is still beautiful by the way, and super smooth on my 3070, made the experience worth while (I last played on a 1060, so this is definitely a very pleasant experience now). Can’t wait to go back to NYC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I haven't played it recently, but I did enjoy my time with it back in the day. I completed all the story content in the main game and the expansion, then eventually burned out on the end game stuff.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I played it. I guess I... liked it? I found the first one to be more enjoyable, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
habibi

Post by habibi »

Max Peck wrote:I haven't played it recently, but I did enjoy my time with it back in the day. I completed all the story content in the main game and the expansion, then eventually burned out on the end game stuff.
Apparently, WONY is THE real game according to many. Div 2 base game pales in comparison. So, maybe it’s a good time to get back to it, but I can imagine being burned out with this game.

habibi

Post by habibi »

Blackhawk wrote:I played it. I guess I... liked it? I found the first one to be more enjoyable, though.
I hear you. The first one is more atmospheric, I think mainly because of it being in a foggy NYC setting. DC feels too bright and does not feel like a post apocalyptic event had happened.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The atmosphere was a big part of it.

But it was also the feel. The sequel lacks the immediacy of the first one. 1 was about dealing with a crisis while it was happening. 2 was about dealing with the aftermath. 1 felt like you were countering wandering groups of opportunistic criminals. 2 felt like Fallout - a bunch of well-armed groups with outlandish themes.

And 2 also suffered from Ubisoft's iconic feature creep. Systems inside of systems on top of systems. Complexity being confused with depth, all designed to remind you of the microtransactions. That isn't to say that you had to spend, just that it felt like it was constantly tapping me on the shoulder. It was, like the systems in some other recent (relatively) Ubisoft games, an overwhelming and poorly explained pile of materials, terms, tasks, events, currencies, cosmetics, passes, keys, and statistics.

Like I said, I had some fun with it, but I liked the first one better. I really hope that Ubisoft dials it back in the future.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The first Division may be the only Ubisoft game where I've tracked down 100% of the collectibles (although, iirc, they made it easy to do so by putting any remaining ones on the map after you finished clearing the neighborhoods). I became really invested in piecing together all the background stories and finding out what happened to those people.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
habibi

Tom Clancy's The Division 2

Post by habibi »

I don’t quite like all those Control Point missions, public executions and what not. While these make the world building some what alive, they also made the exploration a chore with so many battles at every block away. I don’t remember Div 1 having so many of them.

Last edited by habibi on Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive tried this game 6 times and not gotten into it like I did the first one. I thought maybe it was me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I liked the second game right up until it undid everything that I'd done up until that point.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Story-wise the first game was definitely stronger. Live-service wise, the second was much better. If you don't value that, then it doesn't help.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I value live service. I didn't enjoy what their live service entailed.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There was a disappointing lack of The Division content during the Ubisoft Forward event. They did show a trailer for The Division: Resurgence, but that's the mobile game that I have zero interest in playing. I was hoping for more information about The Division: Heartland, anything that would give me hope that there's enough of a PvP game in there to make it worth my time, but there was nothing.

Anyway, here's Wonderwall the Resurgence trailer...

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I got an email inviting me to The Division Heartland closed beta. When I registered I could invite five Ubisoft friends via the interface and so some of you will be getting invites. However, I suspect that everyone would already be getting that invitation email anyway. In any case, the beta starts June 27th.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
habibi

Post by habibi »

I just went to New York at level 30. The WONY story mode is so easy, it’s almost a joke to play. I hope I don’t have to grind long to reach 40.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just played the closed beta for Tom Clancy's The Division Heartland. Meh... it's alright I guess. It's been so long since I played The Division 2 I'm a bit hazy on the details, but it feels like a less complicated version of it. Anyway, I have Ubisoft+ so I'll be playing it when it hits full release.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The last I heard it was going to be free-to-play, so I'm not sure anyone needs Ubisoft+ to check it out at some level, although I'd expect there will be benefits for Ubisoft+ subscribers.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:36 pm The last I heard it was going to be free-to-play, so I'm not sure anyone needs Ubisoft+ to check it out at some level, although I'd expect there will be benefits for Ubisoft+ subscribers.
Free to play? They're going to let the riffraff in? Heavens, there goes the mid-western neighborhood :wink:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, although I haven't seen anything yet about how they plan to monetize it. The problem, for me, is that the entire game sounds like a rural take on the Dark Zones in The Division 1/2, which I disliked to the extent of pretending they didn't exist unless a story mission took me into one. I have no interest in being content for roaming teams of murderers, so if there isn't enough PvE in the game to let me ignore the PvEvP, then I have little to no interest in it.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:21 pm Yeah, although I haven't seen anything yet about how they plan to monetize it. The problem, for me, is that the entire game sounds like a rural take on the Dark Zones in The Division 1/2, which I disliked to the extent of pretending they didn't exist unless a story mission took me into one. I have no interest in being content for roaming teams of murderers, so if there isn't enough PvE in the game to let me ignore the PvEvP, then I have little to no interest in it.
Yes, this!

But I guess there's no money to be made on players like us. Or this is Ubisoft mismanaging the franchise.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:21 pm Yeah, although I haven't seen anything yet about how they plan to monetize it.
Play it for a couple hours and the paths to monetization will be abundantly clear.... allegedly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Is it pay to win, or simply pay to not look like a hobo?

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I reinstalled this...again. Figure maybe the 5th or 6th time is the charm. I usually dont get far. I loved the first game but this one has never grabbed me.

Even now just getting to the White House Im thinking.."Where are the zombies? This game could use zombies to go along with the rest"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
habibi

Post by habibi »

I still like NYC in the first game. It has a very different t vibes.