Dead Island 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Dead Island 2

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not gonna lie, all the positive reviews and my general love for destroying zombies has me interested. I have so much backlog, but the cult of the new is always strong...maybe for the big summer sale. I think I can divert myself for another ~6 weeks...

But 12 months? Not sure about that. :P
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:17 pm Yeah, as in the previous games in the series, you start out with only melee weapons and firearms are introduced as you progress. They're useful, and fun, but the real heart of the game is the melee combat. Shooting a crusher (equivalent to a thug in the OG games) is all well and good, but nowhere near as satisfying as punching it into the ground with brass knuckles or slicing it apart with an electrified katana.

And nothing is better than wading into a mob of zombies with your trusty tricked out bo-staff.
I’m in the early part of the game but have to agree that melee combat is really fun. The sound effects are so visceral and squishy which must stimulate some portion of the brain keyed into whacking prey. :violence-hammer:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:32 pm I'm not gonna lie, all the positive reviews and my general love for destroying zombies has me interested. I have so much backlog, but the cult of the new is always strong...maybe for the big summer sale. I think I can divert myself for another ~6 weeks...

But 12 months? Not sure about that. :P
It's brand new. You know it's not going to go on a meaningful sale for quite some time. Give in. Join us...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I made it a little over half way through the game playing as Ryan before realizing:
Spoiler:
He's not a firefighter. He's a stripper that was dressed as a firefighter when it all started. #Backstory
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:24 pm I believe it's 12 months but I can't swear to that under oath. The game is actually a lot better than I expected, given its troubled development history, so I'm glad I didn't wait for it to arrive on Steam.
That is great news! I'm glad it turned out great.

I waited something like 3-4 years for the first Borderlands (price point), and probably about the same for the first Dying Light (also price point)

I'll try to be patient for this one. But your forum effect is powerful.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:13 pm It's brand new. You know it's not going to go on a meaningful sale for quite some time. Give in. Join us...
:D

Still seeing people that are prone to sick tummies suggesting DI2 is problematic. There's a FOV adjustment and you can disable motion blurring, but there's still camera shaking and something else that is making some people ill.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If it's like DI1, they had a very odd camera. I have played a lot of first-person games, including tons of first-person melee games. Most games effectively replace the character's head with the camera, then add shake. In Dead Island it was almost like they attached the camera directly to the character's head and just used the existing movement.

Sort of like this:
Spoiler:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:46 pm I’m in the early part of the game but have to agree that melee combat is really fun.
I watched a recorded stream and the combat looked great, and this was early on with no real combat skills/cards unlocked yet.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This is a little on the nose...

Enlarge Image

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ah, long pig. Video games have taught me not to turn my nose up at anything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, so I went against how I'm wired and purchased a copy on Epic last night. Played for about an hour and enjoyed every minute. Looks beautiful (the opening / tutorial area was well done) and I'm just now really starting the game (I think) after being handcuffed.

So far no motion sickness issues except for maybe a little during cut scenes where I think the FOV tightens up and the head/camera shaking is a bit much sometimes. I can deal with short cut scenes, but so far the game isn't making me sick at all.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I just realized my system is years old and may not be up to the challenge even if my willpower gives out.

Hmmm. I won't spend full price on a game but will I spend thousands on a new system for that game that I won't buy? Life is full of conundrums.

I have a switch and PS5 in the living room...

Anywho, I'm glad you're enjoying the game Smoove. I know motion sickness is a real problem for you. I sympathize.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just finished the main story and maybe a third of the optional content. 23 hours. It was start to finish. Story wasn't completely awful even if most of the NPCs were.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:24 pm Just finished the main story and maybe a third of the optional content. 23 hours. It was start to finish. Story wasn't completely awful even if most of the NPCs were.
It honestly amazes me how fast you can consume these games. Just the focus alone, I couldn't do it... let alone the skillz.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Unagi wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:17 am
coopasonic wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:24 pm Just finished the main story and maybe a third of the optional content. 23 hours. It was start to finish. Story wasn't completely awful even if most of the NPCs were.
It honestly amazes me how fast you can consume these games. Just the focus alone, I couldn't do it... let alone the skillz.
You say focus, my wife says obsession. Other people have social lives, care about sports or concerts, have other hobbies and distractions. I work and play games. My kids are teenagers that have little use for dad except to talk about video games.

I'd say the only relevant skill I have is determination.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finished the main story today, completing all the available side quests along the way, for a total of about 60 hours of play time so far.

The game isn't "over" when the story is completed. About a third of the side quests don't unlock until you finish the story, and there's an obvious dangling plot hook for an expansion DLC.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's good to see that the game is selling well, despite being an EGS exclusive for now. It'll be interesting to see how well it does when it eventually arrives on Steam.

Dead Island 2 breaks 2 million sales, is now 'the biggest launch' in Deep Silver's history
It took a decade and multiple development teams to get Dead Island 2 finished and out the door, but in the end it was worth the effort. In its year-end financial report, Embracer Group said that it is now the most successful game release in Deep Silver's history.

Dead Island 2 didn't knock our socks off, but it racked up one million sales in its launch weekend, a pretty solid success by any measure. One month later, it's more than doubled that number.

"Dead Island 2, developed by internal studio Deep Silver Dambuster (Plaion), was released after the quarter, on April 21, by internal publisher Deep Silver (Plaion)," Embracer said in its Q4 financial report. "It has enjoyed a highly successful start, surpassing 1 million units sold within its first weekend (21-23 April). Currently, the game has achieved an impressive milestone of over 2 million units sold.

"When measured over the initial seven-day sales period, Dead Island 2 has become the largest launch in both units sold and revenue generated in the history of Deep Silver and Plaion. The game’s performance has far surpassed the management’s initial expectations."

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Excellent.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Really struggling with this one. I'm about 7 hours in, and the mechanics just aren't clicking for me. I feel like the game wants me to (1) block more and (2) figure out creative solutions to zombie attacks. I don't mind the second part, but trying to time my attacks to pace a block in the hopes I can then launch into a special counter attack is...not something I'm finding enjoyable.

The other thing I absolutely hate is how in some areas zombies keep spawning in no matter what you're doing. I get that sometimes they come crawling out of stuff and that's cool. But I've been to a few locations where they clearly didn't want me to hang around as they just would keep coming out of sewer grates or under cars.

I guess the flow feels off to me - the pacing. Might need to let it sit for a bit or maybe I'm just using the wrong character (Ryan). Normally I'd lower the difficulty level but that's not an option in this game, for reasons.

It does have me wondering if my tastes have changed and maybe I wouldn't like the original as much anymore? Strange times.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

After I finished the first one, my preferences were clear that I had no interest in a second helping.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I went with Ryan on my first play-through and Carla on the second.

I had a tough time blocking early on, but eventually got the hang of it. Even then, I usually don't rely on blocking unless I feel in control of the situation (i.e. when it's one-on-one rather than me-vs-swarm). Simply moving around a lot instead of standing still has been more effective for me to reduce incoming damage when things get busy. Crowd control also gets a lot easier once you get your hands on some firearms.

A major difference between this and the original games is that regular kicks aren't as powerful. It's more useful to interrupt a zombie than to do any damage (unless they're on the ground, in which case a kick can set up a head-stomp instakill). Jump kicks, on the other hand, are very useful, especially as you slot some cards that enhance their damage or effects.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think it's all the keys I'm expected to use - feels like it would be *perfect* for a controller but trying to hit various buttons so I can block, jump, run, slide, kick, dodge, etc... is too much.

Maybe I'll try some custom keyboard configurations, but I'm really just disappointed. :?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I play with keyboard/mouse (because I'm very bad with controllers), but I did map a couple of actions (kick and block) to side-buttons on my mouse to make them easier to use.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's the issue for me - the way I hold/use my mouse, side buttons never were viable for me. I can use the mouse wheel; I can use the two buttons but anything on the side? Trouble. So block is default mapped to a side button and I'm always fumbling it. It just feels clunky.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:44 pm I think it's all the keys I'm expected to use - feels like it would be *perfect* for a controller but trying to hit various buttons so I can block, jump, run, slide, kick, dodge, etc... is too much.

Maybe I'll try some custom keyboard configurations, but I'm really just disappointed. :?
I finally started Shadows of War. Talk about too many buttons. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:44 pm I finally started Shadows of War. Talk about too many buttons. :D
Another sequel that I didn't like. I've tried at least four or five times to get into it and cannot. Loved the original; played both with a controller. But yes, for some reason, the sequel felt...off. Maybe I was struggling with those controls too.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just noticed that Dead Island 2 is up on Microsoft Gamepass now.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:45 pm Just noticed that Dead Island 2 is up on Microsoft Gamepass now.
Oh man...what are the chances that it shows up on Playstation plus, I wonder.

Often games show up in the monthly humble bundle around the same time they show up for free on the 2 console services.