[Iowa] Apartment building partial collapse

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[Iowa] Apartment building partial collapse

Post by Smoove_B »

Property owner was permitted to do some repairs and while that was happening, there was a partial building collapse. Apartments were still occupied and now there's chaos over what should happen next as confusion over whether or not there are still people inside the building continues:
Five people remain unaccounted for, including two people whose remains may be in a pile of rubble at the site of a partially collapsed apartment building, officials of the city of Davenport, Iowa, said Tuesday.

Mayor Mike Matson confirmed the numbers at a news conference following criticism that the city was moving too quickly toward demolishing the building before making sure that no one is still inside. Protests erupted after a woman was rescued Monday night, hours after the city ordered the demolition to begin as early as Tuesday.

“This could be a place of rest for some of the unaccounted,” Matson said. The city is trying to determine exactly how to bring down what remains of the building in a way that accounts for the dignity of people who may have been killed, he said.
Locals and families organized a protest this morning but the local police set up a 2-block barrier to prohibit anyone from getting close. Up until a few hours ago, the mayor and township officials were completely silent on what was happening.

This is what happens when you don't have local (or county) emergency response offices. Not only is there a lack of emergency management overall, but communication about what is going on has been completely overlooked.

I'm speechless.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Re: [Iowa] Apartment building partial collapse

Post by Octavious »

It's Iowa, they probably will send in kids to do the cleanup. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:21 pm
This is what happens when you don't have local (or county) emergency response offices.
Not just that but also when permitting and enforcement ecomes primarily a source of revenue and graft rather than a safety check.

Regarding a protest, totally understand but it should be common sense that you don't protest at a site of an active emergency rescue/recovery operation.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:18 pm Regarding a protest, totally understand but it should be common sense that you don't protest at a site of an active emergency rescue/recovery operation.
Well it's a good thing it was cleared of emergency status after a day or so and then just shifted into demolition (with people still missing / unaccounted for).

To be clear, randos shouldn't be accessing the building in either case, but this is a complete failure of PR.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:21 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:18 pm Regarding a protest, totally understand but it should be common sense that you don't protest at a site of an active emergency rescue/recovery operation.
Well it's a good thing it was cleared of emergency status after a day or so and then just shifted into demolition (with people still missing / unaccounted for).

To be clear, randos shouldn't be accessing the building in either case, but this is a complete failure of PR.
Yes, total failure. It's a terrible incident but should be within the scope of any competent EM to manage. Quad Cities CSA is about 500K. That's not tiny.

But hey, Ron DeSantis is kicking off an Iowa campaign tour today. I'm sure he'll swing by and shine a light on this...
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Why were they so gung ho to knock it down? As long as you stay away it's not going to run at anyone. ;) It sure is terrifying to think you could be in a big huge building and it just falls over. I think this will become more of a trend soon. We build like crap now and nobody maintains things properly.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Looks like the building was over 100 years old (1911). There was some repair work that sounds like it was tuckpointing. If that is indeed what led to the collapse, there were some serious overlooked issues and negligence in upkeep.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

One of the articles referenced an engineering assessment. If there was a PE involved who signed on an assessment let's say a prayer for his license.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Missed this update:
After a 52-year-old woman was pulled unscathed Monday evening from a partially collapsed Davenport, Iowa, apartment building, the city's mayor said a previously announced plan to quickly tear down the structure was "under evaluation."

Lisa Brooks was rescued after more than 24 hours apparently hiding under a couch on an upper floor of the six-story structure, authorities and family members said.

A crowd of 100 or so onlookers welcomed her, even as some staged impromptu protests against the city's decision to tear the 116-year-old building down as soon as Tuesday morning.
Of note:

The rush, including a transition from search-and-rescue to recovery, is relatively unusual. In a collapse at a condominium complex, albeit a much larger building than the Davenport structure, in Surfside, Florida, in 2021, search-and-rescue efforts continued for two weeks. Ultimately, 96 people died.

At a news conference Monday morning, Carlsten said the operation would shift to recovery mode, and by late morning the city had announced the shift had taken place.

"Demolition is expected to commence in the morning," the city said.
So they pulled someone out on Monday morning and then someone else on Monday evening, but then indicated the building would be demolished ~12 hours later. Seems reasonable.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Honestly it feels like they want to avoid any chance a proper investigation occurs.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:36 pm Honestly it feels like they want to avoid any chance a proper investigation occurs.
That’s what I was thinking too. It’s almost the only thing that explains the rush.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:48 pm Looks like the building was over 100 years old (1911). There was some repair work that sounds like it was tuckpointing.
That building must have needed a whole hell of a lot of tuckpointing. :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How in the hell does a 52 year old woman hide under a couch? How does she fit under there? Its like an inch or two of space there.
After a 52-year-old woman was pulled unscathed Monday evening from a partially collapsed Davenport, Iowa, apartment building, the city's mayor said a previously announced plan to quickly tear down the structure was "under evaluation."

Lisa Brooks was rescued after more than 24 hours apparently hiding under a couch on an upper floor of the six-story structure, authorities and family members said.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Couches have extra power in Davenport. IDK about anyone else, but when I was a kid we didn't call it a couch...it was the davenport.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:39 am Couches have extra power in Davenport. IDK about anyone else, but when I was a kid we didn't call it a couch...it was the davenport.
My grandma called it the davenport.
Briefly we used the word sofa.
But we have landed on couch.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:54 am How in the hell does a 52 year old woman hide under a couch? How does she fit under there? Its like an inch or two of space there.

She’s a shapeshifter. Took a wild form. Obviously.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It sounds like the couch woman wasn't even one of the 5 unaccounted for.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You pivot.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Did you just call LB a pivot? :shock:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:57 am Did you just call LB a pivot? :shock:
No Pivot. No Pivot. You're the pivot!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Independent
A contractor has said he warned the owner of the residential building that collapsed in downtown Davenport, Iowa, on Sunday that the disaster was imminent.

Speaking to The Quad-Cities Times, Ryan Shaffer, co-owner of local firm RA Masonry, said he was working on another building close to the six-storey 324 Main Street complex when he was approached by the latter property’s owner, Andrew Wold, about potential work, only for Mr Wold to walk away saying the quote was too high.

“He wanted to cut the cost by cutting out the shoring and supporting of the building," Mr Shaffer said.

“I said, ‘If we don’t do it this way exactly, I’m not putting my guys in there. Somebody is going to die.’”

Mr Wold appears to have subsequently shopped around for a cheaper firm to carry out the work and found an alternative business that would do it for less, as reflected by city records.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And thus the rush to destroy the evidence.

Why, at this point, has no state/federal level agency declared an investigation and taken control of the site?

I mean, it's like giving the murder weapon to the suspect for safe keeping after watching him install a blast furnace.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Hopefully RA Masonry has all the paperwork from the quote that they originally provided, specifying what issues they found and why they recommended the repairs that they did. The guy literally predicted the building was about to collapse, he must have seen something very serious.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:39 am Couches have extra power in Davenport.
Just like student desks during the Cold War.
Enlarge Image
RM2

Post by RM2 »

I am old enough to remember having bomb drills in grammar school that included getting under your desk
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Me too.

I got in (call parents) trouble at my grade school for telling everyone that a desk would never protect you from a nuclear attack, not even remotely.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:44 pm Me too.

I got in (call parents) trouble at my grade school for telling everyone that a desk would never protect you from a nuclear attack, not even remotely.
Now that's funny! :lol:
So they've always disliked people questioning "the science".
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

RM2 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:07 pm I am old enough to remember having bomb drills in grammar school that included getting under your desk
+1. Also tornado drills that involved crouching in a hallway with your head tucked between your knees. Nuclear bombs? Under the desk. Tornadoes? Into the hallway. We got this.

We took a field trip once to the gypsum mines on the outskirts of town that had been converted to fallout shelters. They were chock full of crates and barrels of food and water. That was supposed to be reassuring.

I never expected to live to adulthood, much less old age.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The two-story Woolworths was ground and basement, which was also a fallout shelter.
RM2

Post by RM2 »

In my grammar school at the time I also got information and pamphlets about how to build a bomb shelter at home.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:21 pm Property owner was permitted to do some repairs and while that was happening, there was a partial building collapse.
Quotes from that article.
City inspectors reviewed the ongoing repairs three days before the collapse, records show.

More recent info shows that the repairs were due to the wall bulging out, and as Isg posted, the owner was told it was on the verge of disaster before he went shopping for a cheaper quote.

Enlarge Image
“Wall bracing will be installed per engineer’s design,” the notes said.
Yep. That they did. They braced the wall that was supporting that there six-story building full of humans.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image

Yep! Slap some 4x4s on there. That'll hold 'er!
The owner had known for days that the wall was bulging. They had been told it was near collapse. The city was notified. The building remained occupied. People died.
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:04 pm Why, at this point, has no state/federal level agency declared an investigation and taken control of the site?
Who would have jurisdiction in something like this, anyway? I can't imagine anyone associated with the city itself should be allowed to handle it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"We have investigated ourselves and determined that we did nothing wrong."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:42 pm "We have investigated ourselves and determined that we did nothing wrong."
Untrue!
The city of Davenport sued Wold for violating Davenport city code. Court records show the city believes he failed to keep his building safe at about 5 p.m. Sunday, when the building collapsed.

"On or about May 28, 2023, at 5:00 p.m., the defendant failed to maintain his building in a safe, sanitary and structurally sound condition," the city said in its complaint. A court hearing is set for June 9 at 8:30 a.m. in Scott County court.
They found the culprit! Now, to nail him to the wall...
If convicted for the violation, Wold faces a $300 fine and $95 in court costs.
Oh. Well, he must have shown great remorse to get handed such a fune. He did, after all, release a statement...
"Our thoughts and prayers are with our tenants and families during this difficult time. We would like to thank the brave men and women of Davenport fire, Davenport police department, and all other first responders for their tireless efforts to ensure everyone’s safety. We have been working closely with the American Red Cross and other agencies to assist the displaced tenants affected by this event. We are forever grateful to them for all of their assistance with our tenants,"
Thoughts.

Prayers.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Branden Colvin Jr. walked the stage at his high school graduation Saturday to rounds of applause and shouts of “we love you.”

But one person wasn’t there to join in the celebration.

Authorities told Colvin Jr.’s family Saturday afternoon the body of his father, Branden Colvin Sr., had been recovered from the rubble of the partially collapsed apartment building in Davenport, Iowa.
The city is providing financial assistance for relocation to residential and commercial tenants of the building, as well as nearby buildings affected by the collapse.

Commercial tenants will receive a $25,000 grant to help replace equipment, inventory and start up costs at a new location, while residents of the building will receive a $6,000 grant to help replace lost property and pay deposits on a new place to live. People from adjacent buildings will be granted smaller amounts.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ooh, $6k for all of your worldly possessions, plus seed money for starting fresh. Ya'd better make that stretch!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's why renter's insurance exists. But I expect that the survivors who hire lawyers will ultimately receive a lot more than $6,000.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:01 pm That's why renter's insurance exists. But I expect that the survivors who hire lawyers will ultimately receive a lot more than $6,000.
Yeah, there will be a shower of civil suits. Every tenant and neighbor will receive multiple calls from attorneys eager to take up the case.

The grant from the city is actually pretty helpful and fairly generous. It's not meant to replace all their possessions lt's meant to replace the essentials and pay deposits on new accommodations.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
A week of agony has culminated for the families of three Iowa men missing since their six-story Davenport apartment building partially collapsed.

Amid the rubble, the remains of Daniel Prien, 60, were found early Monday, and those of Ryan Hitchcock, 51, found Sunday, Davenport Police Chief Jeff Bladel said Monday. Two victims had been unaccounted for, a city official said the prior day.
In the 10 minutes before the partial collapse of 324 Main St., a support brace bent and parts of the brick façade crumbles around it, surveillance video taken from the roof of a nearby building and obtained by CNN shows. The video cuts off as the building collapses as power is knocked out, the person who owns the camera told CNN on the condition of anonymity.

In the footage, five support braces lean up against the wall and one – the closest to the camera – gradually bends.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:21 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:21 pm Property owner was permitted to do some repairs and while that was happening, there was a partial building collapse.
Quotes from that article.
City inspectors reviewed the ongoing repairs three days before the collapse, records show.

More recent info shows that the repairs were due to the wall bulging out, and as Isg posted, the owner was told it was on the verge of disaster before he went shopping for a cheaper quote.

Enlarge Image
“Wall bracing will be installed per engineer’s design,” the notes said.
Yep. That they did. They braced the wall that was supporting that there six-story building full of humans.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image

Yep! Slap some 4x4s on there. That'll hold 'er!
The owner had known for days that the wall was bulging. They had been told it was near collapse. The city was notified. The building remained occupied. People died.
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:04 pm Why, at this point, has no state/federal level agency declared an investigation and taken control of the site?
Who would have jurisdiction in something like this, anyway? I can't imagine anyone associated with the city itself should be allowed to handle it.
Not just all this, from what I read briefly last week, there was water damage EVERYWHERE. Heck, you can even see it in the photos above. Wouldn't be surprised if there was mold everywhere too.

That property owner is likely to be charged with negligent homicide.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.