Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Political Randomness

Post by GreenGoo »

malchior wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:45 am Wow. I thought that was well-known. It might be regional.
Not regional, but not as well known as other slurs.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's so hard to keep up these days.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I wonder if it's more well known if you waited tables. I've certainly heard of it from my days slinging seafood at Red Lobster, although my anecdotal evidence found no truth to the stereotype.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It still pops up at r/TalesFromYourServer.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:35 am I wonder if it's more well known if you waited tables. I've certainly heard of it from my days slinging seafood at Red Lobster, although my anecdotal evidence found no truth to the stereotype.
+1
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:45 am
Kraken wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:25 am
Kurth wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:49 am
Daehawk wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:19 pm Standard dress for all Florida state government employees comes with complimentary white hood.

Enlarge Image
Is she saying Black people don't tip? Is that a common racist slur, or is this just Ann Coulter making up a new one?
I just read it as business with decline by 0%. But I'm often naive when people speak in codes.
That was how I read it when I first saw it. But when I went back and re-read it, that it specifies tips (and not business or some more general terms), it's hard to read it as anything other than "black people don't tip." Which is also a new stereotype to me.
News to me, too.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:35 am I wonder if it's more well known if you waited tables. I've certainly heard of it from my days slinging seafood at Red Lobster, although my anecdotal evidence found no truth to the stereotype.
I waited tables for years, but I never heard this particular stereotype until I was well past that time in my life. There's always something new to complain about other peoples' races, presumably.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:48 am
+1
Even black wait staff tend to hold this ‘stereotype’.

I was going to suggest that the people that have never heard the sentiment haven’t rubbed shoulders with a lot of servers.

I married my cocktail waitress, I’ve heard it before.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Could be regional, but it's definitely true in Houston. I worked restaurants for 6 years; both rural and urban. The only worse demographic for tipping was Baptists.

I've held the opinion for years that working restaurants is weird because it will make you prejudiced, but at the same time forces you to treat everybody the same. While demographics are similar and there's truth to stereotypes, there's enough variation you have to treat your guests well.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

malchior wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:50 am LOL. I unfortunately schooled with actual white supremacists in upstate NY (which is way, way, way more racist than most people realize).
I guess I grew up and went to college in better parts of upstate NY... well ok where I grew was racist but there was only one black family in town so it was hardly a common topic.... oh also where I went to college tried hard to outdo Derek Chauvin so maybe it was just my bubble.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'll get more specific and say that Rochester was easily...*easily* the most racist place I've ever lived.

I had a roommate who secretly hated me because I once mentioned my paternal grandfather was Jewish. That came out while he was drinking my beer offered freely him...like I had many times before. Next to my goddamn Christmas tree. Fucking idiot. He was from Buffalo and I found out that it wasn't unusual for his area (from a fellow resident of Buffalo).

I saw black and Hispanic people yelled at and intimidated. Also so much homophobia. This was nearly 30 years ago now so it's likely different now but I was shocked how l common and casual the racism was. I eventually quit school there and left for good. That was a big part of it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I went to RIT around the same time (89-94) and really saw none of that, but I was pretty much drunk the whole time and not what you'd call woke so it could be I just ignored it. I did have a huge crush on a jewish girl and I never heard anything negative in response to that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I managed a bookstore in Elmira NY in the early '80s. One day we started discovering racist/antisemitic flyers being slipped into our books. Turned out that the regional KKK headquarters was a few towns away and this was a routine part of their playbook. I can't say I ever witnessed any egregious acts of racism, but like coop I was not even remotely "woke" back then and it wouldn't have made a big impression on me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know why people cant live their life and not hate on or torment someone else. How is a person raised that end up like this. Or are they simply born bad and can either not improve, improve, or get worse depending on their childhood.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It turns out that The Man can save money on healthcare by providing free medication.

Free medications produce overall health-care savings in Ontario trial, new study suggests
Results from an experimental program that provides free prescription drugs to hundreds of people in Ontario suggest covering the cost of medication produces overall savings for the health-care system, according to a new study.

The research, published Friday in the journal JAMA Health Forum, tracked a total of 747 patients who reported that the high cost of drugs has forced them to leave prescriptions unfilled or stretch out the time between doses. About half were randomly selected to have their drugs fully covered.

After three years, the researchers found that providing prescriptions free of charge to these patients saved the public health-care system an average of $1,488 per patient per year, by helping to prevent such things as unexpected trips to the hospital.

"I was surprised by the magnitude of the savings," said Dr. Nav Persaud, one of the study's authors, a Canada Research Chair in Health Justice and a staff physician at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto.

"It seems like eliminating medication costs both saves money in avoided hospitalizations, avoided emergency room visits, makes people healthier and addresses health inequities — it makes access to health more fair."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

SNL's parody about... COVID = free vacation

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

"Sure, there might be long term memory problems, but honestly, that would honestly be amazing, because there's so much I want to forget"

:lol:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

US politicians have nothing on India for using power for personal reasons

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-65726193

Tho the idiocy factor is high!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:16 pm US politicians have nothing on India for using power for personal reasons

To be fair, he's a bureaucrat, not a politician.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Texas House of Representatives votes to impeach Attorney General Ken Paxton

The Texas House of Representatives has voted to impeach Attorney General Ken Paxton, an unprecedented move following a legislative probe that faulted the third-term Republican for a yearslong pattern of corruption, including abusing his office’s powers, retaliating against whistleblowers and obstructing justice.

Under state law, Paxton is now temporarily suspended from his duties as attorney general and will await a Senate trial.

The vote was 121-23, with two members voting “present.”

“The evidence is substantial. It is alarming and unnerving,” said GOP Rep. Andrew Murr, chair of the General Investigating Committee, during his closing statement following hours of debate. The committee recommended 20 counts of impeachment against Paxton.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ugh. Erdogan wins the run-off election.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From the little I saw on the news the other guy was worse..a far right winger.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:16 pm US politicians have nothing on India for using power for personal reasons

He should have just filled the reservoir with rice.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ME-MORIAL DAY: Trump and Biden’s Memorial Day messages show a stark contrast
“All gave some, some gave all.”

The beautiful turn of words has memorialized America’s fallen in their sacrifice, and even though Trump is all too alive, he wants his sacrifice memorialized, too.

No, there is no evidence that Trump has sacrificed anything.

But his Memorial Day message expressly states that his fight is equal to the sacrifices made by those who died on Omaha Beach, in Da Nang, and Iraq.

The Saudi-loving presidential candidate started out off-key for a day in which we remember the dead by beginning with a big, all-caps HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

To be fair, he did wish a “happy” Memorial Day to everyone, not just his supporters, and thus included families who have lost loved ones and remember them today.

He must hope they’re happy.

Trump’s statement insists that everyone remember his equal sacrifice in service of the nation by bravely fighting on the front lines in a war against Americans.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Lula welcomes back banned Venezuelan leader Maduro
Venezuela's President Nicolás Maduro has visited Brazil for the first time since he was banned by former far-right President Jair Bolsonaro in 2019.

Mr Maduro was received by the new president, fellow leftist Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, ahead of a summit of Latin American leaders in Brasilia.

"What's important about Maduro coming here is that it's the beginning of Maduro's return," Lula said.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Enlarge Image
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats news?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:13 pmThats news?
She levied an allegation against the current President...and then ran off to Russia...in what world would that not be news?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

She was also going to testify in Congress a few months ago against Biden, but I guess Hillary's ninja squad scared her off to Russia.

Has the GOP started claiming yet that Biden had a Russian defector working for him as a Senate staffer?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I meant it as shes a nobody a nothing.I wouldn't give her the time.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:32 pm I meant it as shes a nobody a nothing.I wouldn't give her the time.
What time?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:32 pm I meant it as shes a nobody a nothing.I wouldn't give her the time.
She’s being exposed here, and so the time spent here is in favor of exposing her. If you were the target of her lies, you may appreciate a little attention put on this part of her story, no?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Today's news certifies that her Biden accusation game was a Russian scheme intended as an "October surprise" in the 2020 election.

She announced her defection in Moscow sitting next to her friend Maria Butina, the confirmed Russian spy who cozied up to the NRA and numerous right-wing figures.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

...waiting for the consistent impending, I'm not a republican, conspiracy following tweet storm from Musk in support of Biden.

... a Brazilian different My Cousin Vinny gifs out there and none of "I'm waiting" how disappointing...
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:43 am ...waiting for the consistent impending, I'm not a republican, conspiracy following tweet storm from Musk in support of Biden.

... a Brazilian different My Cousin Vinny gifs out there and none of "I'm waiting" how disappointing...
It's not Brazillian, or My Cousin Vinny - but this seemed appropriate

Enlarge Image
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder why Reade left now. Was she under some investigation or legal threat?
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:39 pm I wonder why Reade left now. Was she under some investigation or legal threat?
Putin needs Americans with any amount of name recognition to say "Russia is better."

Reade looks like a clown to us, but she still has credibility with QAnon and other hard-right types. In their view, she was the innocent victim of far-left criminal Joe Biden's rapacious lust and cruelty.

And, of course, she is probably so compromised that saying Yes to Moscow is much easier than saying No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Utah
Days after the Bible was removed from many Davis School District libraries, a challenge has been made to ban the Book of Mormon from school shelves.

The district confirmed a request was made Friday by an individual who wants the book removed due to violent content. A committee will now review the religious text to decide whether it will also be taken out of school libraries in the district.
The same committee that will review the Book of Mormon found the Bible "does not contain sensitive material as defined by Utah Code," according to a district spokesperson, but contains "vulgarity and violence" that caused concerns over age appropriateness.