Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Smoove_B »

Debt Ceiling Crisis is imminent, let's check in with Ted Cruz

Day [4]8 of the Right melting down over a trans woman being sent a can of beer with her face on it: Senator Ted Cruz demands an investigation
Read it here:
I can’t think of a company in modern times that has more alienated its customer base and had so little understanding of who it is who actually drinks Bud Light. This week I sent a letter to the CEO of Anheuser-Busch, along with Senator Marsha Blackburn, because the CEO of Anheuser-Busch is also the CEO or the chairman of the Beer Institute. The regulatory body, the industry regulatory that regulates itself and one of the rules that beer companies are supposed to follow is that they’re not supposed to market to kids. Remember the whole Joe the Camel thing? Same thing here. Well, a massive percentage of Dylan Mulvaney’s audience are kids and Budweiser was trying, I believe, with this ill-fated marketing attempt to target teenagers.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

This is such a good media story. All you hear is how it's terrible for Inbev, but Bud Light sales are down 1% which could be anything.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jim Jordan's "Weaponization" committee is about as dishonest as you'd expect.

Paid "informants":
suspended FBI special agent Garret O’Boyle and former FBI special agent Steve Friend both said they’d taken money from Kash Patel. Rep. Dan Goldman (D-NY) pressed both on the payments, with Friend saying that he had received a “donation” from Patel last November. “Are you a charitable organization?” Goldman asked. “I was an unpaid, indefinitely suspended man trying to feed his family,” Friend answered. “And he’s reached out to me and said he wanted to give me a donation.”
Hiding transcripts to cherry pick statements:
ater in the hearing, after initially being shut down by Jordan, Goldman requested a point of order to state the rules, which he noted required transcripts to be made available to all members of committees.

“Where is the whistleblower exception to the rules?” Goldman wondered.

An animated Jordan said it was the “prerogative of the committee to decide” before adding: “We have the whistleblower testimony. The whistleblower does not wish it to be made available to the Democrats at this time!”

Goldman quickly shot back that “the whistleblower doesn’t make committee rules”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is who they are. We're well past the point where they have credibility. Well...except for the major portions of the population who are smooth brains. :cry:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Very serious people.

Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That cannot possibly be true.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:50 am That cannot possibly be true.

Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I guess I should clarify that in upside-down land, I believe it, but it still cannot possibly be true. We exist within a simulation.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Choo choo motherfuckers the crazy train is coming through.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:50 am That cannot possibly be true.
It's probably a bullshit sideshow. The odds of her having to fork out $100k or there even being a charity involved is near zero.

It seems like BDE to the base and trolls everyone else so there it is.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Looks like it's going into Mr. Bean's campaign coffers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Texas AG Paxton even more corrupt than I thought (impossible, right?)
A Texas House committee on Wednesday heard explosive new testimony from lawyers investigating Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, including that he appeared to provide a friend with confidential FBI documents and committed other potentially impeachable crimes in an effort to help him retaliate against adversaries and federal officials.

Many of the details have been outlined in a whistleblower suit that accuses Paxton of firing four top aides as retaliation after they reported the alleged misconduct to federal authorities.

BACKGROUND: Donor in Ken Paxton bribery case loses appeal as he seeks to avoid jail time for contempt of court

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hmm Paxton is suddenly getting outsized attention since he called out...Dade Phelan. It seems what might get him is not the corruption or the criminality but that he broke the cardinal rule - though shall not turn against a fellow Republican.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:47 pm Texas AG Paxton even more corrupt than I thought (impossible, right?)
A Texas House committee on Wednesday heard explosive new testimony from lawyers investigating Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, including that he appeared to provide a friend with confidential FBI documents and committed other potentially impeachable crimes in an effort to help him retaliate against adversaries and federal officials.

Many of the details have been outlined in a whistleblower suit that accuses Paxton of firing four top aides as retaliation after they reported the alleged misconduct to federal authorities.

BACKGROUND: Donor in Ken Paxton bribery case loses appeal as he seeks to avoid jail time for contempt of court
That's not more corrupt that I thought. Par for the course.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given that my thoughts on his corruption level are about here:

It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:42 pm Hmm Paxton is suddenly getting outsized attention since he called out...Dade Phelan. It seems what might get him is not the corruption or the criminality but that he broke the cardinal rule - though shall not turn against a fellow Republican.
Indeed. But sounds like he is actually going to be impeached and removed?? It'd be wonderful for him to actually get some consequences, even if it's (probably) ultimately for the wrong reasons.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:46 am
malchior wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:42 pm Hmm Paxton is suddenly getting outsized attention since he called out...Dade Phelan. It seems what might get him is not the corruption or the criminality but that he broke the cardinal rule - though shall not turn against a fellow Republican.
Indeed. But sounds like he is actually going to be impeached and removed?? It'd be wonderful for him to actually get some consequences, even if it's (probably) ultimately for the wrong reasons.
Oh definitely not shedding a tear. It looks serious for him. I just don't want to step over the thuggish undertone here. He was brazenly, openly corrupt for years but now it suddenly matters? Please. The Republicans are a quasi-criminal syndicate in many places. This just reinforces that idea for me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

In a crowded field, Tommy Tuberville stands out as a truly remarkable piece of shit. First he singlehandedly holds up hundreds of military promotions(including the proposed Chairman of the Joint Chiefs) for his grandstanding BS, and now this gem.

A guy who made millions from student athletes - many of whom were from inner city schools - then just flat out quit that job now complains about inner city teachers and work ethic. That's rich.

Oh, and the ad for "donjrgold.com" at the bottom is just *chefs kiss*. Eternal grifters, the lot of them.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:46 am
Hahahahaha...

Yeah, sure he is.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh, so now upholding free and fair elections suddenly matter. When it’s about him. :lol: :lol:

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

CNN is reporting that the Texas House of Representatives voted to impeach him.
The Texas House of Representatives has voted to impeach Attorney General Ken Paxton, an unprecedented move following a legislative probe which faulted the third-term Republican for a yearslong pattern of corruption, including abusing his office’s powers, retaliating against whistleblowers, and obstructing justice.

Under state law, Paxton is now temporarily suspended from his duties as attorney general and will await a Senate trial.

The vote was 121-23, with two members voting “present.”

“The evidence is substantial. It is alarming and unnerving,” said GOP Rep. Andrew Murr, chair of the General Investigating Committee, during his closing statement following hours of debate. The committee recommended 20 counts of impeachment against Paxton.

Democrat Rep. Harold Dutton was one of the members voting present. He said the impeachment vote had been rushed. “The process by which we’re getting this done seems to be abbreviated to the point that it just encroaches on due process,” said Dutton.
I guess it's up to the state senate to let him off the hook, now?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:17 pm
It is alarming
Alarming to whom? It's been a known quantity up here for over half a decade.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:17 pmI guess it's up to the state senate to let him off the hook, now?
This is the question. Guess we'll find out if this is a warning or an execution. If it's the latter, I expect the logjam against him to unspool. His state case will move forward as well in my estimation. It looks (for now) that he made a fatal error when he called for Phelan to resign. Couldn't happen to a shittier guy but also the Republicans really appear to be hopelessly unethical.

You have to assume those who understand see the dynamic here which is appears to be akin to many authoritarian regimes. You are allowed to be corrupt. They hold each other unaccountable...which doesn't happen unless you cross red lines. Ugly stuff. Worse people will think Paxton is a sign things are improving ethically when the outcome here is more likely to worsen ethics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:57 am
Max Peck wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:17 pm
It is alarming
Alarming to whom? It's been a known quantity up here for over half a decade.
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Heritage has been on a long road to hell from plain old reactionaries that sometimes proposed useful policy to complete whack jobs. Conservatism is in crisis and we're all trapped in the asylum with them as they work through their darkest fever dreams through regressive, mean spirited political activism.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote:Heritage has been on a long road to hell from plain old reactionaries that sometimes proposed useful policy to complete whack jobs. Conservatism is in crisis and we're all trapped in the asylum with them as they work through their darkest fever dreams through regressive, mean spirited political activism.

On the good news side, they haven't gone quite as far down the road as the Claremont Institute and actively participated in subverting the Constitution?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:05 am Heritage has been on a long road to hell from plain old reactionaries that sometimes proposed useful policy to complete whack jobs. Conservatism is in crisis and we're all trapped in the asylum with them as they work through their darkest fever dreams through regressive, mean spirited political activism.

I've been spending a lot of time at the FBI Chicago Division over the last few months and I'll say this. They are extremely non-partisan and wholey devoted to the constitution. They are also very polished and professional. Of course the new Heritage is going to dislike these traits.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sort-of a counterpoint. How I won $5M from the MyPillow guy and saved democracy
In the summer of 2021, Lindell announced that he was going to hold a “Cyber Symposium” in Sioux Falls, S.D., to release data that proved that U.S. voting machines were hacked by China. He said he would even pay $5 million to anyone who could disprove his data.

Right away, friends started calling to ask me if I was planning to go. After all, I invented the field of software forensics, the science of analyzing software source code for intellectual property infringement or theft. Still, I wasn’t sure. There are a lot of experts that could analyze data. And no one in their right mind would offer $5 million if the data wasn’t real and verified, right? Anyway, the symposium ran three days — not nearly long enough to analyze and verify any data.

But I’m also a tournament poker player. I love a good challenge. And as the calls and emails kept coming in, I started to think, I should go, just to be there when history was made. I voted for Trump twice. If Lindell’s data was correct, maybe a presidential election would be overturned. I’d at least get to meet some really interesting people. So I flew to Sioux Falls.

... [Author details how he disproved Lindell's data]

Lately, people have been saying to me that I “saved democracy in America.” I’m really flattered, though I think that’s an exaggeration. But if more people sought truth, even when that truth is contrary to their beliefs — such as when a Republican like me destroys a Republican myth — then I think we really can save democracy in America. In fact, I think that’s the only way.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:37 pm Sort-of a counterpoint. How I won $5M from the MyPillow guy and saved democracy
FWIW what he did was helpful but let's not pretend his primary motivation wasn't grabbing at a $5M bounty potentially posted behind a flimsy film of flim flam. And now he appears to be trading on that for even more money and attention. Though I'll happily concede he tried to save democracy is he goes through and actually donates his bounty to election defending non-profits. I'll patiently wait for that. :lol:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jesus, man. Malchior: toughest crowd of all. :D

And I thought *I* was cynical! I humbly bow in deference. :P

Disclaimer: I didn’t read the original article about this, so if it’s blatantly obvious this guy is solely chasing money and doesn’t give a shit about our democracy (he DID vote for Trump 2x, soooo..?), and looking for a public attaboy…
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

lol.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Now warm turd Lindsey Graham.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:38 am Jesus, man. Malchior: toughest crowd of all. :D

Disclaimer: I didn’t read the original article about this, so if it’s blatantly obvious this guy is solely chasing money and doesn’t give a shit about our democracy (he DID vote for Trump 2x, soooo..?), and looking for a public attaboy…
To be a bit fair, he does concede 'saving democracy' is over the top and the story is transparently about trying to get the $5M prize so that's why I give him the tiniest bit of credit...but in the end we live in a time where lack of integrity, morals, or ethics is frankly acceptable as long as you make money. And I'm not with that.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Why the heck do all these people toss into the primary when they have no shot? To make money? Christie is such a sack of shit. His own family probably wouldn't vote for him. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Octavious wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:58 am Why the heck do all these people toss into the primary when they have no shot? To make money? Christie is such a sack of shit. His own family probably wouldn't vote for him. :P
My mother tried to tell me that she thinks Chris Sununu has a real shot at it. I told her she was delusional. All Chris Sununu will get from it will be trash-talked by Trump and possibly an uptick in family members being threatened by random psychos.

DeSantis is the only one that's remotely on the radar, and he will never beat Trump.

Trump would need to be dead or in jail (and even those are not guarantees) for someone else to win the GOP nomination.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:58 am Why the heck do all these people toss into the primary when they have no shot? To make money? Christie is such a sack of shit. His own family probably wouldn't vote for him. :P
It's an industry. Strategists will advise them that they have a shot, millions will get raised, millions will get spent on campaigns, and candidates will get a ton of press.
Down the road, loser candidates have a shot at parlaying that press into a lucrative endorsement of a candidate that actually has a shot.

Lots of people are happy to get rich off of unsuccessful campaigns.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:38 am Jesus, man. Malchior: toughest crowd of all. :D

First, China didn't hack your election. No one could "prove" they did, whether this guy did his thing or not. Because there was no evidence to support the claim, because it didn't happen. This guy could have stayed in bed and literally nothing about your democracy would have changed, positive or negative.

Second, he voted for Drumpf. Twice. That tells me all I need to know about this "hero".

He got his 5 million. Well done. The only time Democracy noticed this guy was when he voted, twice, for a petty grifter facist wannabe.

Geezus.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

One wonders if this is the path the election deniers are on...
A failed political candidate has been indicted on federal charges including election interference in connection with a series of drive-by shootings at the homes of state and local lawmakers in Albuquerque, according to a grand jury indictment that was unsealed Wednesday.

The indictment filed in U.S. District Court in Albuquerque takes aim at former Republican candidate Solomon Peña and two alleged accomplices with additional conspiracy and weapons-related charges in connection with the shootings in December 2022 and January of this year on the homes of four Democratic officials, including the current state House speaker...

...“Peña targeted several of these public officials because, in their official capacity, they certified the election, which he lost,” Uballez said at a news conference. “In America, voters pick their leaders and would-be leaders don’t get to pick which voters they heed, which rules apply to them, or which laws to follow.”

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’ve always assumed it was for their own ego, or maybe a long shot at VP.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Some reasons:
1. People are deluded enough to think they have a chance.
2. Even unknowns can get 100,000+ votes, which I imagine feels pretty good to one's ego.
3. It gives them free press coverage and increases name recognition, which can translate to better prospects in the future (if they plan to run for something, or in terms of money, as in speaking engagements, books, etc)
4. A chance to get a job in the new administration
5. The opportunity of bringing up an issue in the primary that might otherwise be ignored, or potentially even getting the likely candidates to change their stances on an issue.
6. The opportunity to attack one of the other candidates you don't like and potentially drive support away from them (even if it doesn't get you support).