O, the weather outside is...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: O, the weather outside is...

Post by Jeff V »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:13 am
Jeff V wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:31 pm Can you schedule an early December hurricane in the Caribbean? The boat is going from Miami to Ocho Rios to Grand Cayman to Cozumel and back to Hawaii -- a hurricane would likely be the most exciting part of the voyage (bonus if you can time it the same time as the wedding we're attending).
Good gosh, most folks would kill to have a trip like that. Are you like me and don't like cruising, or it is the wedding stuff? And seriously, the cruise ends in Hawaii? Wow.
Ack! That's some typo...ends in Miami, unfortunately, not Hawaii.

A few weeks ago, the State Department issued an advisory against Americans going to Jamaica. Express kidnappings -- so popular in Mexico and Brazil, seem to be catching on there. Aside from seeing banks that fantastically rich people use, I'm not sure what there is to see in Grand Cayman. Cozumel seems to be the only place with the possibility of interesting, history-related stuff, but I'll have to talk the wife off the beach, which will likely be near impossible.

I've never had a desire to go on a cruise. Everyone seems quick to tell me how much fun I'll have, but not a one can tell me how exactly it will be fun. Wife wasn't sure she wanted to go, but others of her friends here are going, and I told her if ever she wants to experience a cruise in my lifetime, this is her best chance.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've gone on two cruises in my almost 44 years of marriage. One we did on the cheap and I didn't like it and one we upgraded and I still didn't like it. And since I live in Florida, going to some tropical place seems very redundant. And not to sound xenophobic, but we've done the Bahamas and everything seemed a bit tacky, tattered and just waiting to rip us off.

We did fly to and visit Bermuda, that was great. Also Hawaii, likewise. But otherwise, eh.

Unless you really, really like being constantly around a lot of people, cruises are best avoided. And no matter how many cool onboard and on shore cool events and excursions they advertise, it's almost all first come, first served. If you don't sign up right away (or in advance, if they let you) you'll be stuck with all the general entertainment on board, like the cheesy musical reviews and the other mass events.

I'll see what I can do about that December hurricane! :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:18 am Unless you really, really like being constantly around a lot of people,
(shudder)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:16 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:18 am Unless you really, really like being constantly around a lot of people,
(shudder)
On our two cruises, once you were outside your cabin, you were around other people. Sometimes not too many, sometimes a lot, but with thousands of passengers on board, there just wasn't any privacy.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Couldn't even wait for tomorrow which is the start of the hurricane season :roll:
Enlarge Image

1. Eastern Gulf of Mexico (AL91):
An area of low pressure over the eastern Gulf of Mexico is producing disorganized showers and thunderstorms mainly to the northeast of the center. Environmental conditions appear marginally favorable for some slow development over the next day or two as the system meanders over the eastern or northeastern Gulf of Mexico. However, by this weekend environmental conditions are forecast to become unfavorable for additional development as the system drifts southeastward towards the Florida Peninsula. Regardless of development, the system could produce heavy rainfall and gusty winds
over portions of the Florida Peninsula through this weekend. An Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate the system on Thursday, if necessary. Additional information on the rainfall and flooding potential can be found in products issued by your local National Weather Service forecast office and Excessive Rainfall Outlooks issued by the Weather Prediction Center.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...low...20 percent.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Didn't think it started this early -- I assume this applies to the Pacific too? Because we are going to Typhoon Central in 10 days.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:09 pm Didn't think it started this early -- I assume this applies to the Pacific too? Because we are going to Typhoon Central in 10 days.
Typhoon Central?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Philippines seem to be where the biggest storms earn their cats.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:19 pm The Philippines seem to be where the biggest storms earn their cats.
Guam just got hammered by a Cat 4 storm a few days ago, so yes, things in the Philippines will probably be interesting soon :shock:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ah, terrific. In the middle of our stay, we are taking a Supercat from Leyte to Cebu. That is a big passenger ferry with a history of going down and taking 400 or so people down with it. I bet a typhoon hits when we're on it.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We've been enduring a heatwave of nearly steady 30C/86F for a week, which is quite hot for this region. No AC in this house either. Been very hot and humid.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We've had one of the wettest months of May on record, and next week it's again supposed to rain every day, with some days dropping below 70 and night time lows in the 50s. A few years ago we did have a fairly rainy June but it was still much warmer during the day. I'm definitely not complaining though. We need the rain, and I hate summer heat.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:29 am We've been enduring a heatwave of nearly steady 30C/86F for a week, which is quite hot for this region. No AC in this house either. Been very hot and humid.
Good gosh, that is pretty unusual for your area. I'm guessing there's a run on window AC units at the local hardware stores?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

We're enjoying our first heat warning of the summer, with temperatures hitting the low 30s C. Relief is forecast for the weekend, when overnight temperatures will drop back into the teens. It's not that bad, but still a good reminder to get the A/C set up and running.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:23 am
Rumpy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:29 am We've been enduring a heatwave of nearly steady 30C/86F for a week, which is quite hot for this region. No AC in this house either. Been very hot and humid.
Good gosh, that is pretty unusual for your area. I'm guessing there's a run on window AC units at the local hardware stores?
Not really no. AC in general is just not very common here because of how expensive they are. Usually they're added to newly built houses, but for the most part it's more of a feature businesses use, and there are sometimes cooling centres offered for the homeless. Our place was built sometime in the 60's before all of that convenience. Window fans are more common.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yeah, National Hurricane Center, tell me on Wednesday there's only a 20% chance of development... oops, now it's 70% :roll:
Enlarge Image

1. Northeastern Gulf of Mexico (AL91):
Recent satellite wind data, along with buoy and ship observations indicate the area of low pressure over the northeastern Gulf of Mexico has a broad but well-defined circulation with maximum sustained winds of about 35 mph. Shower and thunderstorm activity associated with the low is also showing signs of organization. Environmental conditions remain marginally favorable for additional development, and if these trends continue, a short-lived tropical depression or storm is likely to form as soon as this afternoon. The system is likely to meander over the northeastern Gulf of Mexico through tonight but begin a slow southward motion on Friday. By this weekend, environmental conditions are forecast to become unfavorable for additional development as the system continues moving southward, likely remaining offshore over the Gulf of Mexico. An Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate the system later this afternoon.

Regardless of development, locally heavy rainfall could occur over portions of the Florida Peninsula through this weekend. Additional information on the rainfall and flooding potential can be found in products issued by your local National Weather Service forecast office and Excessive Rainfall Outlooks issued by the Weather Prediction Center.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...70 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...high...70 percent.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's something useful for budding hurricane nerds out there:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Tropical Storm Arlene, not a threat to anybody

Enlarge Image
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So question, is there really a difference between a cyclone and a hurricane? Reason I ask is I watched a video about word differences between countries, which was interesting in itself, but one of those words was hurricane, and between the countries they either used hurricane and cyclone as if they referred to the same thing. But I've always thought they were quite different.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:09 pm So question, is there really a difference between a cyclone and a hurricane? Reason I ask is I watched a video about word differences between countries, which was interesting in itself, but one of those words was hurricane, and between the countries they either used hurricane and cyclone as if they referred to the same thing. But I've always thought they were quite different.
Cyclones are hurricanes in the Indian Ocean, but the word was and still is used for US western tornados, hence in The Wizard of Oz, the house where Dorothy is hiding is hit by a cyclone.

Update: And typhoons are hurricanes in the western Pacific.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Interesting. I hadn't even considered that about the Wizard of Oz. Whenever I hear of gale-force winds, I think it much more regular tornado, whereas a hurricane would be a step above, but that a cyclone would be even worse, but I guess I realize now it's more in the perception of where these are generally spoken about in relation to the damage they've caused.

Languages. Gotta love it :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A cyclone is a rather generic term for any cyclonic storm. Could be hurricane, could be typhoon, could be tornado, could be a mean game of Twister. Hurricane is generally referred to an Atlantic cyclonic storm while Typhoon is Pacific, but when I was in Hawaii, a cyclonic storm off Oahu was referred to as a hurricane. Methinks Americans refer to any oceanic cyclonic storms as hurricanes regardless of where they are at.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Aren't they usually called Cyclones in the Indian Ocean?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yes. But also a dust devil is a cyclone.

Thankfully dust devils in the Indian Ocean are rare, or there would be more confusion.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Also a CH-148 helicopter.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:06 am A cyclone is a rather generic term for any cyclonic storm. Could be hurricane, could be typhoon, could be tornado, could be a mean game of Twister. Hurricane is generally referred to an Atlantic cyclonic storm while Typhoon is Pacific, but when I was in Hawaii, a cyclonic storm off Oahu was referred to as a hurricane. Methinks Americans refer to any oceanic cyclonic storms as hurricanes regardless of where they are at.
I find it fascinating how it all differs geographically. It's no wonder the English language is confusing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not in NY (about 50 miles West), but there's definitely an odd haze in my part of NJ - worse than yesterday.

The wildfire smoke is so bad this morning in New York City you cannot see the sunrise. At all. Probably the worst I've ever seen it.
Particulate levels in my area are around 125 or so - unhealthy for sensitive groups - just below what they're reporting in NYC (150+, which is unhealthy for everyone). We're under a fire watch because of the lack of rain we've had over last last month, but the wildfires from Quebec. Crazy times.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, probably those wildfires in Canada, and there are a lot of them, not just in Quebec. We've had poor air quality advistories on two occasions due to them.

Here's a fun interactive map. You can definitely see that NY is impacted by the smoke.

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:12 pm Yeah, probably those wildfires in Canada, and there are a lot of them, not just in Quebec. We've had poor air quality advistories on two occasions due to them.

Here's a fun interactive map. You can definitely see that NY is impacted by the smoke.

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/
Cool map, thanks for posting! It looks like Toronto and Buffalo will be having really bad air tomorrow.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Today even. Ottawa too. Saw a comparison image to the air quality in New Dehli which is supposedly pretty bad, but Ottawa was worse due to the widlfires.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The wildfire haze is NYC is so dense right now. I didn't notice it much this morning because it was raining, but right now it's crazy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, it's definitely worse now in my part of NJ than it was at 9am this morning. Here's a great shot of what's happening:

Where did all of this thick, heavy smoke across the Northeast come from? Raging wildfires in Quebec are generating large smoke plumes to the north and ALL of the smoke is being funneled right into the Northeast. Unfortunately, more smoke is on the way for tonight and Wednesday.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/image ... oss-quebec
The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite captured this view of smoke billowing from the fires on June 3.
Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:48 pm The wildfire haze is NYC is so dense right now. I didn't notice it much this morning because it was raining, but right now it's crazy.
Parts of NJ and NYC are over 200 right now, which is *insane* to me. Protect your lungs, my friend!

For those unaware, here's info about the numbers (and colors) on the map.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It was really bad by my work when I left at 5:30. Good thing I stopped smoking last year so I was only outside for like 10 minutes today. It was super hazy driving back. Looked like a Mad Max movie.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NYC currently has the worst air quality for a major city on the entire planet. Again, *insane*.

Enlarge Image

What's also weird is that I'm not seeing any type of warnings from any state agencies in NY/PA/NJ about how bad this is. Above 150 and people should be wearing n95 masks while outdoors to avoid the PM 2.5 that are floating around at dangerous levels, destroying your lungs. Ideally running air filtration indoors, making sure to sleep with windows closed, etc...

Maybe these things are being shared somewhere, but I'm not seeing it.

EDIT: Time published an article at 5pm today:
Air quality standards typically don’t distinguish risks based on the source of the PM2.5. But there’s worrying evidence that PM2.5 from wildfires may be more dangerous than other varieties of the pollution. That evidence comes from preliminary studies on mice, and researchers aren’t sure what’s causing the effect, though they think it may have to do with the chemical properties of wildfire smoke that cause more inflammation and toxic buildup in the lungs.

None of that is likely to provide much comfort to the millions of people affected by smoke from the recent Canadian wildfires. The best advice, though, is to be aware of the risks and check for updates and guidance from local health authorities about how to best protect the health of family and loved ones. If local officials say it’s best to stay indoors, make sure to keep doors and windows closed to help keep pollution from getting inside. Home air purifiers can also help. And if you have to go outside, wearing an N95 mask can be a good option to protect yourself.
disarm

Post by disarm »

The haze/smoke was surprising bad in CT today...smells like smoke outside and was so bad this evening that it made the sun disappear. I was outside around 5pm and noticed that the sun was so hazed out that I could look directly at the pale red spot in the sky. Over the next ten minutes, it got so bad that I could no longer see the sun at all. Crazy
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Would it make sense to run my central air fan nonstop? Or would that make it worse? :lol: I know that technically it doesn't draw in air from the outside except for air leaks...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My kids have been marveling at the red moon.
Black Lives Matter