What's the weird thing about your city/state/region that only the locals get?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tgb

Re: What's the weird thing about your city/state/region that only the locals get?

Post by tgb »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 am If I have to pull my own crab meat
Great. Another image I'll never be able to get out of my head.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Re: What's the weird thing about your city/state/region that only the locals get?

Post by Holman »

Sectoid wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:29 am
malchior wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:09 am
Sectoid wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 am I'm from Bergen County. It is Taylor Ham regardless of brand. Most times, if you are getting it from a Bagel place, diner, or breakfast joint, they list it on the menu as Taylor Ham. Don't really get the controversy either. Trenton does have a Pork Roll Festival, though.
Right it is just one of those weird NJ linguistic things. Sort of like how there is an argument about whether central jersey exists. Also another thing for the thread. :D
Another one is "Down the shore". We say that regardless of if you are going north, east, or south to get to your beach destination.
That one drives me nuts. I feel my blood pressure every time I hear it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:59 am
Sectoid wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:29 am
malchior wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:09 am
Sectoid wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 am I'm from Bergen County. It is Taylor Ham regardless of brand. Most times, if you are getting it from a Bagel place, diner, or breakfast joint, they list it on the menu as Taylor Ham. Don't really get the controversy either. Trenton does have a Pork Roll Festival, though.
Right it is just one of those weird NJ linguistic things. Sort of like how there is an argument about whether central jersey exists. Also another thing for the thread. :D
Another one is "Down the shore". We say that regardless of if you are going north, east, or south to get to your beach destination.
That one drives me nuts. I feel my blood pressure every time I hear it.
Well technically it is always down unless you live below sea level.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's what I hear. When you say "Down the shore" I hear Robert Plant singing "Down by the seaside See all the boats go sailing (sailing)"

OtOH, while the beach always seems like a down, you never hear anyone say "Bill's up the at store" It's always "Bill's down at the store." unless Bill's gone. Then Bill can either have gone up the store or gone down to the store, which makes no sense because he's really gone over to the store, which sounds awkward, unless Bill is going to a friend's. Bill can go over to Sue's place but rarely goes down to Sue's place and never goes up to Sue's place unless Sue lives pretty far up north. Up North is, in fact real geographical location in Michigan speak. It's the magical place of nature where people go for holiday weekends. They need this magical place after spending 7 hours in traffic fighting all of the other people trying to go up north for the long weekend.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The problem with "Down the Shore" is the wreck of the preposition.

"To the shore" would work. "Down to the shore" would work. "Down the shore" says that you are already at the shore and are now moving down it, like rain running down a window or stones rolling down a hill.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Jeet? (NJ for "Did you eat?")
Well, maybe not just NJ.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Enough

Post by Enough »

Coloradans, not Coloradoans.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Coloradanians?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I was stationed there we always called the locals Mainiacs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
tgb

Post by tgb »

Sectoid wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:09 pm Jeet? (NJ for "Did you eat?")
Well, maybe not just NJ.
No, NY as well (Brooklyn, at least).

Jeet jet?
No. Jew?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:37 pm The Garbage Plate
You are in Rochester?!?!?

I grew up there, live in Buffalo. Most of my Family is still there, which means I make the commute home once very couple months to have my family tell me how awesome my brothers bar is.

Got my first Garbage Plate downtown Rochester (at the original location) like 25 years ago.

Speaking of Buffalo:
4am Bar closings
Lake Effect snow
The Food (Real Chicken Wings, Chicken Finger Subs, Beef on Weck)
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Semaj wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:03 pm

I grew up there, live in Buffalo. Most of my Family is still there, which means I make the commute home once very couple months to have my family tell me how awesome my brothers bar is.
I grew up in the Finger Lakes and went to RIT. I live near Dallas now. I consider Rochester home.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:14 pm Coloradanians?
Isn't that how you use the Force?
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Semaj wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:03 pm Speaking of Buffalo:
4am Bar closings
Puritanical amateurs. :P

I grew up in Berwyn, which is next to Cicero, which had 6 am liquor licenses until well after I came of age (not sure if there are any left). Sometimes my dad would work on a Saturday and I'd have to give him a ride...it was amusing to see some of these bars empty out into the morning daylight.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 pm
Semaj wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:03 pm

I grew up in the Finger Lakes and went to RIT. I live near Dallas now. I consider Rochester home.
I too went to RIT but didn't finish my degree there. I don't consider it home - that area is way too cold. :)
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 pm I grew up in the Finger Lakes and went to RIT. I live near Dallas now. I consider Rochester home.
Ahhh, does that mean you are a long time Bills sufferer? :)
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

malchior wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:07 pm I too went to RIT but didn't finish my degree there. I don't consider it home - that area is way too cold. :)
Now the spine could be brutal... But really the cold isnt that bad...
malchior

Post by malchior »

Semaj wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:10 pm
malchior wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:07 pm I too went to RIT but didn't finish my degree there. I don't consider it home - that area is way too cold. :)
Now the spine could be brutal... But really the cold isnt that bad...
I was there in '95-'96 when we had 14 ft. snow drifts after a couple of heavy days and IIRC Buffalo was around 20. And that snow was around for months - too cold. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Taylor Swift Settles Age-Old New Jersey Food Debate, As Governor Proclaims New Sandwich In Her Honor
Now, NJ Gov. Phil Murphy may have brought peace to the valley. In honor of Taylor Swift’s shows at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands, Murphy has declared the “Taylor Swift ham, egg and cheese” as the official state sandwich.
It's almost as if people are the problem.