Hermit or Social Butterfly?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: Hermit or Social Butterfly?

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:57 am When's the last time we gained a bona fide new Overlord in EBG? It would be nice to not die out. I, for one, welcome my bot brethren.
I would welcome a bot overlord that doesn't chose to sort the forum oldest-to-newest before replying to a random thread on the "first" page. It's the one weird trick that they still haven't mastered in their quest to pass the Turing test.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:04 am
Kraken wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:57 am When's the last time we gained a bona fide new Overlord in EBG? It would be nice to not die out. I, for one, welcome my bot brethren.
I would welcome a bot overlord that doesn't chose to sort the forum oldest-to-newest before replying to a random thread on the "first" page. It's the one weird trick that they still haven't mastered in their quest to pass the Turing test.
I honestly had the same thought. Why do they always seem to resurrect these ancient posts, when any human would find a current conversation and work their way into it.
And then of course, this is a Hermit that doesn’t like engaging people in conversations any more — so he finds this random old post about Hermits and decides to suddenly jump into a conversation about it?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:14 am
Max Peck wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:04 am
I honestly had the same thought. Why do they always seem to resurrect these ancient posts, when any human would find a current conversation and work their way into it.
And then of course, this is a Hermit that doesn’t like engaging people in conversations any more — so he finds this random old post about Hermits and decides to suddenly jump into a conversation about it?
Our puny human brains cannot comprehend the AI reasoning for this, but trust that they know what they are doing, and that it's in our best interest. Don't fight it, just sit back, relax and watch more (or ALL!) Netflix. It's soooo much easier just to let them have their way with us, stop resisting! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

BTW, can I interest you in some used $100K chapstick? :P
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

New new? 2009.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

If the AI bots can earn an income and provide toward the server...then welcome. (AI DeKonstruct- See red text above).
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:52 am
Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:37 pm It's mine that I'd rather give a bot credit than unintentionally attack a real person. The bot won't care if I'm wrong. The human might.
Again. This potential human just told us all how they can hardly be bothered to listen to anyone for more than a few second before the lose interest.

I replied to that ‘human’ that I lost interest after only a few seconds.

That ‘human’ would then be at a fork in the road.

Do they see the humor and irony in my reply? Do they hear their own statement echoed in my reply and reflect on it all. And then do they chuckle at me, and themselves, and strangers talking about themselves on the internet.

Or are they insulted by me, because like them, I declared that I got bored and lost interest in a few seconds - but unlike them, I should be held to a higher standard and respect what they had to share.

So, while I am pretty sure it’s a bot. I’m sincerely perfectly fine breaking the ice with Mr.DeKunconstuctor by way of that reply. And from what he posted, shouldn’t he only see me as a kindred spirit?

In fact, I will point out that I’m the only one to reply to their post, and I did so specifically to see if they would reply. To see if they were real or not.

Please don’t let me keep you guys welcoming this new poster with more ‘welcome’ replies, if you honestly feel that way.

No?

“attack” is a little heavy.
I was talking about my approach to dealing with people (including when they may or may not be people - even if there is a strong likelihood.) I was not talking about you or your reply beyond it being the catalyst that took the discussion in a different direction.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:29 pm
I was talking about my approach to dealing with people (including when they may or may not be people - even if there is a strong likelihood.) I was not talking about you or your reply beyond it being the catalyst that took the discussion in a different direction.
Yes, I know, and it was my comment to the stranger that led to you making that comment. And so I am talking about your claim that I am okay with insulting and attacking strangers. I don't care where else the conversation led, I found that topic something I would like you to address as well, because :

I do not...

a) think I attacked a stranger with that comment, given the context of their comment. If a human posted that - I believe they will read my reply as being worthy of a: "I see your point, har har".
b) like to attack strangers either, and your comments seem to imply that my reply implicates me as someone that does like to attack strangers.

As to your approach to dealing with people... Maybe take measure here as to whether or not you've just insulted me (don't sweat it) and if you should care how I feel about that comment. I tried to communicate as much, and yet you just told me that you aren't talking to me.