Factorio, highly addictive game(alpha)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

Re: Factorio, highly addictive game(alpha)

Post by Lorini »

He needed to ignore it. Why devs say stupid shit when they are trying to sell a product is a full mystery.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

1.8 is out, and I've gone back to it with a complete restart, as there was no way I was going to be able to figure out what I was doing back in the day.

I've researched a lot of technologies, but my usage of them is way behind. And I don't know that I'll ever get to Butterknife level.

At the moment, I only have four research colors going, with grey and blue to complement the red and green. I will likely exhaust all techs using only those four before I attempt yellow/purple/et. al.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'll need to go check what 1.8 brings.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:35 pm 1.8 is out, and I've gone back to it with a complete restart, as there was no way I was going to be able to figure out what I was doing back in the day.

I've researched a lot of technologies, but my usage of them is way behind. And I don't know that I'll ever get to Butterknife level.

At the moment, I only have four research colors going, with grey and blue to complement the red and green. I will likely exhaust all techs using only those four before I attempt yellow/purple/et. al.
Are there significant differences you are aware of that make it worth going back to and restarting?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:40 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:35 pm 1.8 is out, and I've gone back to it with a complete restart, as there was no way I was going to be able to figure out what I was doing back in the day.

Are there significant differences you are aware of that make it worth going back to and restarting?
I just checked the last few updates' patch notes, and nothing has really been added - mostly optimizations, bug fixes, and a few technical changes like adding a preferred audio channel in settings, or other things like if the music fades out while looking at the tech screen.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I will say this though: when ever I do go back to a game like this - I always 'Restart'. (unless maybe I only put it down a month ago or something)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:29 pm This and Fortresscraft are taking all of my free time.
I see you.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:19 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:29 pm This and Fortresscraft are taking all of my free time.
I see you.

I've got a handful more I'm working on, but I found out how I really enjoy these. I created a headless server and it allows me to play multiplayer without having to schedule anything. It runs and my friends can connect any time. When I finish my achievement hunting, I may do the same with Satisfactory. It will depend on the timing with Diablo and whether I can keep to my Bobby Kotick boycott.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Getting into the efficiency modules and taking down my initial base might have left me a bit ahead of the electricity power curve.

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got to the point of needing to set up the yellow science pack production, and the size of that task is currently more than I want to bite off, so it looks like I might play something else for a while.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:05 pm I got to the point of needing to set up the yellow science pack production, and the size of that task is currently more than I want to bite off, so it looks like I might play something else for a while.
if you want to join our group game, ping me and I'll send you the ip. It's a persistent server.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

One pumpjack!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I may have run over it or accidentally tossed a grenade at it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Having recently been running through Red Dwarf, I approve of the achievement. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I don't know why, but somehow this game has been on my "ignored" list on Steam, but now I'm interested. Is it ever on sale? SteamDB doesn't show a sale since 2016.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:16 pm I don't know why, but somehow this game has been on my "ignored" list on Steam, but now I'm interested. Is it ever on sale? SteamDB doesn't show a sale since 2016.
Nope. Looks like the price goes up on occasion, possibly as it was being developed/finished. I think it is well worth the price. It's the crown jewel of factory builders in most every way but graphics, but the graphics are NOT a hindrance at all.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:26 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:16 pm I don't know why, but somehow this game has been on my "ignored" list on Steam, but now I'm interested. Is it ever on sale? SteamDB doesn't show a sale since 2016.
Nope. Looks like the price goes up on occasion, possibly as it was being developed/finished. I think it is well worth the price. It's the crown jewel of factory builders in most every way but graphics, but the graphics are NOT a hindrance at all.
Thanks, good to know. I'm in one of those moods where I need something new to play.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

KDH wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:29 am .
... ... Factorio Price Boost Next Month ...

:coffee: ...
Version 0.16 has become stable, and this means that there is one last step for us to reach the 0.17 which will probably become 1.0 version. Then Factorio will finally step out of the Early Access zone. This will take some months but the roadmap is clear for us.

We feel that now is a good time to adjust the price of the game. The price of the game has been growing steadily together with the game becoming bigger, more stable and polished. After careful consideration, we have decided to set the new price of the game to 30 USD (or your regional equivalent). This change will become effective as of 16th of April 2018. This is the final Factorio price update, unless something unforeseen happens, so it will also be the price for the game for 1.0 release.

* As you probably know we have a strict no sale policy. The game will not go on sale on Steam or any other platform. This basically means that purchasing before the 16th of April 2018 is the only way to buy the game cheaper than the increased release price.

Of all the games on Steam, these guys post "all the damn time" .. full, in-depth, write-ups on all changes and improvements
See above quote about strict "No Sale" policy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:16 pm I don't know why, but somehow this game has been on my "ignored" list on Steam
mind blown
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:33 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:16 pm I don't know why, but somehow this game has been on my "ignored" list on Steam
mind blown
Probably because the last time I looked at it, it was still in alpha.

By the way, why can't I get a repair kit to work? It says when in cursor, left-click and hold to repair, but my damaged radar isn't being repaired. What am I doing wrong?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If it's purple, it's not damaged, it's been destroyed and needs to be rebuilt.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:39 pm If it's purple, it's not damaged, it's been destroyed and needs to be rebuilt.
Nope, not purple,

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wait, it turns out there are repair packs and repair kits. According to Bard, I can't use a repair pack until a structure is red. A repair kit is different and I don't have one of those. So because the things I'm trying to repair are green and yellow, a repair pack won't work on them. Must find repair kits...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Put it on your hotbar, hit the number to activate it, then mouse over and press.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:18 pm Put it on your hotbar, hit the number to activate it, then mouse over and press.
That did it. Maybe when the game comes out of alpha they will have that straighten out :wink:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:55 pm Wait, it turns out there are repair packs and repair kits. According to Bard, I can't use a repair pack until a structure is red. A repair kit is different and I don't have one of those. So because the things I'm trying to repair are green and yellow, a repair pack won't work on them. Must find repair kits...
This is really weird. I've played this game quite a lot and I don't recall this specific nuance at all.

It's been a couple of years, so perhaps this is a new thing... I'm tempted to load it up and see what the confusion is...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

When I played the demo I went through the first three tutorial levels, then bought the game. I was able to start with level four of the tutorial and now I'm at level five, the final tutorial with the trains. But first I have to clean up that mess! I feel a bit thrown in at the deep end. Maybe I ought to switch to Freeplay instead and just hold on to that tutorial save till I get some more practice in at the easier stuff.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I decided to go to Freeplay, left all the settings where they were and started. I do have a question, maybe because I'm old and my brain hurts :roll:

As you can see in the image below, I've got a little assembly area for making iron plates. The three drills, the three furnaces and the three inserters all need coal. I can run a belt up the right side behind the drills to supply them with coal from an area to the south, but is there a way to get the coal to the furnaces automatically as well? I can't think of it. I know I'll be going to electric drills at some points, but I was wondering if I could figure out how to automate the coaling to some degree right now.

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Run the coal belt up the right side and put three inserters to move coal into the furnaces.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:04 pm Run the coal belt up the right side and put three inserters to move coal into the furnaces.
But the drills are on that side. I tried using the long-handed inserter but it won't reach past the drills.

Never mind, I figured out how to use the long handed inserter :roll:

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now never use a burner inserter again.
stessier

Post by stessier »

If you hit the ALT key, it will turn on the ability to see inside all the objects - so you'll know what's in your boxes and ovens.

Edit: Never mind - your first image showed you know how to do that. In that image, you could have extended the iron belt south and had the coal belt join it on the right side. This would have been a combined belt with iron on the left and coal on the right. The inserters are smart - they would have grabbed coal or iron as needed to keep both them and the furnaces running.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, I've unlocked the tech for a circuit network and I'm totally lost :shock:

I've gone to the wiki and read several articles but I'm afraid it's a case of trying to drink out of a fire hose. If someone would like to help me, I'm trying to make a very simple logic situation, where if the contents of a chest (in this case with ammo) is less than 100, an alarm sounds. I've set it up but it isn't working which isn't a surprise as I have little idea what I'm doing. I think if I can get one (or two) examples to work, I can tinker around and figure out more of it.

Here's what I have so far. I'm using a green wire to connect the ammo chest to a Decider Combinator which then is connected to a programmable speaker. Am I even in the ballpark?

Enlarge Image

Never mind, I've figured out this simple example, see below
Last edited by jztemple2 on Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wait, I think I figured it out! More details in a minute...

Enlarge Image

I was over-complicating it. As seen above, I just hooked the chest to the programmable speaker and used the settings as seen below. So when the ammo chest goes below a value of 100, the alarm goes off. Hmm, that's too simple... there must be a catch :wink:

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Those programmable speakers have come in handy, I don't need to keep running around to see if my storage boxes are getting near empty :wub:

I'm having more... friction with this game than with Satisfactory or Dyson Sphere Generator, it just seems a bit harder to figure out what to do next other than keep doing more and more research. Also, I can't seem to work on the game if I'm a bit knackered, it takes more mental energy than most other games. But that's good, keeps the grey matter churning :think:
telcta

Post by telcta »

I had trouble knowing what to research next and I moved away when Satisfactory and Dyson came out. It’s been a long time and I want to start again after reading your posts. I appreciate the time you put into these posts.

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:45 pmI can't seem to work on the game if I'm a bit knackered, it takes more mental energy than most other games.
I have to say, I never heard the term knackered.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

telcta wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:56 pm I had trouble knowing what to research next and I moved away when Satisfactory and Dyson came out. It’s been a long time and I want to start again after reading your posts. I appreciate the time you put into these posts.
Glad to help. Honestly, I'm just researching everything that can be researched with my current science level, the red and green flasks. I already have the resources to make the black flasks (military), but the next ones, the blue, need sulfur which need petroleum which is quite far away from me. I'm going to have to experiment with railroads and other stuff.
telcta wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:56 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:45 pmI can't seem to work on the game if I'm a bit knackered, it takes more mental energy than most other games.
I have to say, I never heard the term knackered.
I've watched a lot of old British movies, TV shows and books and find the word to be most useful.
stessier

Post by stessier »

FWIW, until you figure out the more complicated stuff, really long belts and pipelines are a perfectly viable option.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's where I am right now, I need crude oil for my next stage of research and the nearest field is way up towards the top of the map:

Enlarge Image

If I build a land bridge across that lake to the northwest and then head straight towards the oil field, hugging the water, I ought to be able to get to the field without getting too many enemies coming down on me.