NFL 2023 Offseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: NFL 2023 Offseason

Post by Jaymann »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:45 pm
stessier wrote:The Jaguars not existing is phenomenal. I needed a laugh today and that was great.
Unrelated question. The over/under on the Pats total wins this season is 7.5, which makes me want to bet everything I have on the under. Am I missing something?
Because of my hatred of the Patriots with the heat of a thousand suns, I will take the over on the Pats right now for a game of choice.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I think they are the fourth best team in the division, by a wide margin. I think there’s a real threat that they go 0-6 in the division.

They also have to play KC, LAC, PHI, DA, and PIT.

Seems like a long way to go to get to 8 wins.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:13 pm I think they are the fourth best team in the division, by a wide margin. I think there’s a real threat that they go 0-6 in the division.

They also have to play KC, LAC, PHI, DA, and PIT.

Seems like a long way to go to get to 8 wins.
I've read they have the hardest schedule this year.

On the plus side, the Defense should still be good and they have an Offense Coordinator who has called plays before. Um, that's about it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

NFL 2023 Offseason

Post by RunningMn9 »

I mean, I don’t think they are a bad team, but man does their schedule look brutal.

I live in a land of Jets fans and have to endure daily talk about how they should be favored to win the division, and I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

I get that everyone has decided that the Bills are bullshit, but really? The Bills suffered through incredible injuries last year. They had to play multiple multi-game stretches with their entire secondary out. They lost key starters at every level of the defense. Allen jacked his elbow halfway through the year and wasn’t the same for like 7 games. They watched their teammate die on the field in front of them and get resurrected.

And they went 13-3.

I get that the Jets are bringing in a 39 yr old QB. Who went 8-9 last year. But they’ve got a lot a ground to cover the be the favorite to win the division, no?

I agree that they COULD win the division. Their defense is great, and they will no longer have the worst QB play in the NFL, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

I dunno. I guess we get to be underdogs again.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m fine with delusional Jets fans.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Will Bryce Hall be healthy?

Rodgers may not be better than what they had for the first part of last year, he was also awful in GB last year...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:53 pm I mean, I don’t think they are a bad team, but man does their schedule look brutal.

I live in a land of Jets fans and have to endure daily talk about how they should be favored to win the division, and I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

I get that everyone has decided that the Bills are bullshit, but really? The Bills suffered through incredible injuries last year. They had to play multiple multi-game stretches with their entire secondary out. They lost key starters at every level of the defense. Allen jacked his elbow halfway through the year and wasn’t the same for like 7 games. They watched their teammate die on the field in front of them and get resurrected.

And they went 13-3.

I get that the Jets are bringing in a 39 yr old QB. Who went 8-9 last year. But they’ve got a lot a ground to cover the be the favorite to win the division, no?

I agree that they COULD win the division. Their defense is great, and they will no longer have the worst QB play in the NFL, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

I dunno. I guess we get to be underdogs again.
Also - they are the Jets. You could gift them Patrick Mahomes and they would still find a way to have a losing record.

As for the Pats, if you're betting the "over" you're basically betting that Matt Patricia was the problem weighing the team down last year, and that with an actual OC that Mac Jones is a great QB. It's not a crazy bet IMHO, though I wouldn't put a lot of money on it.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:51 pm As for the Pats, if you're betting the "over" you're basically betting that Matt Patricia was the problem weighing the team down last year, and that with an actual OC that Mac Jones is a great QB. It's not a crazy bet IMHO, though I wouldn't put a lot of money on it.
He destroyed the Lions with a big hand from Daniel Quinn. But then he was the head coach and not a lackey. Turned them from a 10 win team to 2 win team quickly.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:51 pmAs for the Pats, if you're betting the "over" you're basically betting that Matt Patricia was the problem weighing the team down last year, and that with an actual OC that Mac Jones is a great QB. It's not a crazy bet IMHO, though I wouldn't put a lot of money on it.
When you look at the schedule, do you see where the 8 wins come from? Again, I don't think that the Pats are bad, but man is that schedule rough. Playing in the AFC East, and then having to deal with the AFC West and NFC East seems like a rough ride, even if Patricia's ineptitude was the problem.
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:29 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:51 pmAs for the Pats, if you're betting the "over" you're basically betting that Matt Patricia was the problem weighing the team down last year, and that with an actual OC that Mac Jones is a great QB. It's not a crazy bet IMHO, though I wouldn't put a lot of money on it.
When you look at the schedule, do you see where the 8 wins come from? Again, I don't think that the Pats are bad, but man is that schedule rough. Playing in the AFC East, and then having to deal with the AFC West and NFC East seems like a rough ride, even if Patricia's ineptitude was the problem.
The Patriots defense last year was good and may be better with some of the draft picks. So if Mac Jones is a great QB next season, then I think they'll be in most games even against tough opponents and will have a good chance to go at least 8-9. I think most people think that the issues with Mac go beyond Patricia, and honestly that Belichick even tried the Patricia thing which was completely indefensible from the start raises questions for me about the quality of his current decision-making, so I wouldn't say I'm optimistic. But if Mac is completely rejuvenated then they'll be competitive even with a tough schedule.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It’s a storyline of next season I will be curious to see unfold. At the moment, I think the have the 4th best defense and 4th best offense in their own division. That feels like a recipe for disaster.

But that also might be my hate blinders. :)
Make up bags of change
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

NFL just enacted the bylaw (or brought back an old one?) to allow teams to keep an emergency 3rd QB that doesn't take up a roster spot. Basically to avoid another fiasco like the 49ers in the NFC championship game.

I'd say about time. Otherwise it's just not fair, you can't play a game without a QB no more than a hockey game without a goalie (hence the NHL rules around having a list of available EBUGs in every city where they play, although it can get much funnier in the NHL, since he can end up being anyone from your opponent's emergency backup goalie to the local zamboni driver).

On a completely unrelated note, I was today years old when I found out that F1 driver Lewis Hamilton is a part-owner of the Denver Broncos.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gilraen wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:21 pm NFL just enacted the bylaw (or brought back an old one?) to allow teams to keep an emergency 3rd QB that doesn't take up a roster spot. Basically to avoid another fiasco like the 49ers in the NFC championship game.

I'd say about time. Otherwise it's just not fair, you can't play a game without a QB no more than a hockey game without a goalie (hence the NHL rules around having a list of available EBUGs in every city where they play, although it can get much funnier in the NHL, since he can end up being anyone from your opponent's emergency backup goalie to the local zamboni driver).

On a completely unrelated note, I was today years old when I found out that F1 driver Lewis Hamilton is a part-owner of the Denver Broncos.
One of my favorite moments in 49er history was when we ran out of QB's, and had WR Freddie Solomon play Option QB.
With nowhere else to turn, O'Connor gave the nod to Mr. Solomon, who had been a marvelous option quarterback at the University of Tampa.

Mr. Solomon danced around Lions tacklers for 42 yards and passed for 85 more. When he scored on an 11-yard run, Lions fans gave him an appreciative cheer.
I still remember that run! ;).

but for the playoffs and not a meaningless end of season game? Yeah.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Time Walter Payton Played Quarterback For The Bears

If you're wondering, he was 1-4 for 2 yards with an INT and a TD. He also ran for 175 yards with another TD.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:04 pm The Time Walter Payton Played Quarterback For The Bears

If you're wondering, he was 1-4 for 2 yards with an INT and a TD. He also ran for 175 yards with another TD.
Careerwise he was 11/34, 311 yards, 8 td (insane considering 11 completions), 6 int, and a QB rating of 69.6 -- just behind Jay Cutler's 85.2 on the Bears all-time best QB rankings...
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:29 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:04 pm The Time Walter Payton Played Quarterback For The Bears

Careerwise he was 11/34, 311 yards, 8 td (insane considering 11 completions), 6 int, and a QB rating of 69.6 -- just behind Jay Cutler's 85.2 on the Bears all-time best QB rankings...
The real bonkers part of that stat line is yards per completion - 30 yards per catch! (His actual yardage per Football Reference was 331, not 311). And that includes the 2 yard TD he threw in that Packers game! I get that most of his attempts were halfback option/trick plays intended to go for big yards, but that's still nuts.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NFL approves $6.05B sale of Commanders, fines Dan Snyder $60M after releasing investigation report
Snyder’s fellow NFL franchise owners voted unanimously to approve the $6.05 billion sale on Thursday, the league announced, transferring the team into the hands of a group led by private equity investor Josh Harris. The move came swiftly after the league’s finance committee gave club owners a green light earlier in the week, recommending a transaction that could ultimately pave the way for future “group collectives” purchasing NFL teams, rather than the tradition model of one owner holding the majority of equity in a franchise.
The league released its findings from the sexual and financial misconduct investigation into the franchise by Mary Jo White just minutes after announcing the sale was approved. The investigation sustained former employee Tiffani Johnston's allegation of sexual harassment by Snyder and allegations of underreporting of NFL revenues. As a result, the NFL said in its report, fined Snyder $60 million.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

How do you fine someone that is no longer an owner?
Make up bags of change
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:07 pm How do you fine someone that is no longer an owner?
Fine him for $60 million and then 20 minutes later agree to have someone pay him $6.05 billion. Thus he was an owner when the fine happened. Wonder where he will find the money to pay it?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »