Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back...today 43 years ago

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back...today 43 years ago

Post by Daehawk »

I was there in theaters as my 11 year old self to see it. Maybe not on the exact release day but around there.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Re: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back...today 43 years ago

Post by Lassr »

I remember skipping school and waiting in line that Friday morning for the noon opening.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I must have been out of school because no way I would have been allowed to skip.

My brother and I saw the first showing in our city. We showed up a few hours early and I remember there were only two people ahead of us in line.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

McNutt wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:56 am I must have been out of school because no way I would have been allowed to skip.

My brother and I saw the first showing in our city. We showed up a few hours early and I remember there were only two people ahead of us in line.
We had about 50 people in line ahead of us. I wonder if we were out of school also...I would have been only 14 so we didn't drive there, mom would have had to take us.
I know it was opening day and we were there a few hours early for the first feature. Skip school or school out...either way we were there.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Y'all are old.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I remember seeing it in the theater (I was 6) but I don't think I saw the first movie prior. Maybe that's why I'm generally meh about all things Star Wars. Either way, I do clearly remember being in the theater and how insanely awesome the opening was on on Hoth (even if I had no idea what was happening).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I remember clearly seeing the first one in a movie theater, but i don’t get the math, considering I turned 50 on Jan 2 of this year. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Now I’m wondering if I saw the first one on VHS, which prompted me to see Empire in the theater.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I also remember trying to go see RotJ right when it opened and the giant line that went around the entire back of the movie theater (Rockaway, outer for locals). It was so busy my friend's dad just gave up and took us to Chuck E Cheese instead - the first (and only) time I've ever been there. I did eventually see it in a theater, but I couldn't tell you how long after it came out that it happened. I do kinda remember the early 1980s being Star Wars everywhere - toys, sheets (I had curtains), glasses from some fast food place (Burger King?) - I had an Ewok glass.

A veritable lifetime ago.

Also, Empire is still the best.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I remember clearly seeing the first one in a movie theater, but i don’t get the math, considering I turned 50 on Jan 2 of this year. Image

Now I’m wondering if I saw the first one on VHS, which prompted me to see Empire in the theater.
We're the same age and I know I saw it in the theater three times before Empire. If I remember correctly, it not only stayed in the theater a long time in 1977, but was re-released a year or two later. I think I saw both runs.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ah, a re-release would explain it. Also, knowing my Dad, he waited to take us until it hit the dollar theater, which I vaguely remember.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:04 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote:I remember clearly seeing the first one in a movie theater, but i don’t get the math, considering I turned 50 on Jan 2 of this year. Image

We're the same age and I know I saw it in the theater three times before Empire. If I remember correctly, it not only stayed in the theater a long time in 1977, but was re-released a year or two later. I think I saw both runs.
Wait, you saw it when you were 4?!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:26 pm I remember seeing it in the theater (I was 6) but I don't think I saw the first movie prior. Maybe that's why I'm generally meh about all things Star Wars. Either way, I do clearly remember being in the theater and how insanely awesome the opening was on on Hoth (even if I had no idea what was happening).
I saw Empire first and saw it in theaters. I can remember sitting beside some chubby kid who was there for the showing before me and stayed again. He kept knudging me with his elbow "Oh watch this watch this" and "This part is cool!"...ugh. I saw Star Wars later on VHS.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
McNutt wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:04 pm

Wait, you saw it when you were 4?!
Between 4-5, depending on the month.
I let my son see it when he turned 4.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I remember waiting for Empire at the theatre, and my favorite uncle took me, my brother and his friends kid. We got posters that were ruined by our lightsaber battles in line.

I most remember that winter, we lived on a hill and my uncle had a nearby snow plow contract — so the snow was level to a sheer drop at the street. We dug with dirt shovels to build a defense trench that would have held back the Empire in our neighborhood.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

You know you're old if you saw Star Wars when it was just Star Wars and not Episode IV - A New Hope.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Lines were too long for me. I waiting about a year before I got around to seeing it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You waited in line an entire year!?? :ninja: :mrgreen:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I remember reading the book before the movie came out, and being in the back of the car when I got to the stunning reveal!!!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:03 pm Lines were too long for me. I waiting about a year before I got around to seeing it.
Not a Tuesday matinee with the rest of us old folk?
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

There were long lines in those too plus I was actually working back then. That was what....1977?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:37 pm There were long lines in those too plus I was actually working back then. That was what....1977?
Yeah, 1977 (if you mean the first Star Wars movie).

I..uhm...wasn't born yet :)