Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by hepcat »

54 bucks for 2 more big boxes weighing about 20 pounds each compared to my 213 dollars for 2 boxes weighing around 3 pounds in total sounds just right!

kidding aside, 54 bucks doesn't sound outrageous for what you're getting. But I'd still wait to pay anything until they've sorted this crap out.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Yeah, I think it is right. It feels crazy if I think about 3 years ago, but seems pretty typical these days.

IIRC there was another KS that had this issue. Something about the weights being off on smaller items (reporting much higher weights than they should).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, they fixed mine. It's down to 13 dollars from 213 dollars. Whew.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Isofarian Guard was delivered today. What an absolute beast - the box is bigger than Frosthaven. Won't fit in a Kallax; not sure how I'm going to store it...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:43 pm The Isofarian Guard was delivered today.
Awesome!
Won't fit in a Kallax;
Damn it!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I am really not sure what I'm going to do with it. I have a 5x5 array and it technically fits on top with about 2" to spare from hitting the ceiling, but getting it down from there? Would be a hell of a way to die.

EDIT: What you *could* do (and what I might consider) is take everything out of the box it comes shipped in. Inside the main box are 5 thematically detailed smaller boxes - they mostly look like giant books - and then configure those individual boxes into a Kallax, all except for one (it holds the maps and enemy dashboards).

You can kinda see them all here

Enlarge Image

That feels like a solid option. Will test.

EDIT: #2 - the game component quality is so good. I know they said they were using same chit producer as Chip Theory Games, but actually having them in my hands? They're glorious.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I don't back a lot of Kickstarter projects, especially the current trend of massive mega board games with tons of plastic... but as a big fan of Deep Rock Galactic on the PC I made an exception for DRG The Board Game.

It was a very successful campaign that funded early March 2022. If I'm not mistaken it's from a publisher that's new to this sort of thing so it was amazing to see it zip through production and shipping all ahead of schedule. By early December the update was that the games made it to the US and shipping was starting. Some would get their game before Christmas, the rest by the end of the year.

Then the trickle of people saying they got it by New Years was troubling. A month or so later they updated that there were obviously delays with whoever they contracted to handle fulfillment, then more delays, etc.

So late March they revealed they were switching to a new fulfillment company, and needed 2 weeks to move product to their warehouse but everyone should have gotten it by last week. There has been a large uptick in posts from people getting their games but for me, still no word.

I've just been surprised. In my experience with Kickstarter the delays usually occur earlier, I've never seen a project get practically to the finish line and then stumble like this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I came very, very close to backing it, and I still regret not doing so. I'm also a big fan of DRG.

Is this related to what happened with Funagain Games? The timing is right, and a lot of creators got stuck in a huge distribution mess because of it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

They've not said who they were using, or who they moved to.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daveman wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:02 pm They've not said who they were using, or who they moved to.
I don't know how much you keep up on it, but one of the biggest KS distributors (Funagain) decided to throw in the towel a few months ago. They were already a notoriously unreliable company, but a lot of creators were stuck with them due to the costs. When they threw in the towel, they basically said that anyone who had products in their warehouse or already on the way to their warehouse would get them shipped... eventually. Anyone else, including those who had already based their entire financial plan around their fees, had to make other arrangements. For companies that were just about to start distribution, this gave them, essentially, zero warning. Hundreds, possibly thousands of project got pushed under the bus and had to make alternate arrangements, often needing to ship thousands of products all over the place from other companies at a much higher cost than what they'd originally paid for.

In other words, the unreliable company was unreliable, and everything under the sun got screwed over and delayed. A side effect is that every other delivery house has been swamped.

The company's official final closing is five days from now, so the timing's right.
Ertic

Post by Ertic »

Received my copy of DRG last Thursday and got my first game in tonight with my daughter and 7year old grandson.

As a fan of the video game I enjoyed the board game well enough, a simple take up to three actions and draw an event card; pandemic anyone? Mix in some dice rolling for combat, ammo token management, and the swarm mechanic. We all had a fun experience playing the first mission which was relatively easy, however my grandson almost died twice!

One game isn't enough to say how deep the game is, however I am looking forward to getting it to the table again soon.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ertic wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:29 am Received my copy of DRG last Thursday and got my first game in tonight with my daughter and 7year old grandson.

As a fan of the video game I enjoyed the board game well enough, a simple take up to three actions and draw an event card; pandemic anyone? Mix in some dice rolling for combat, ammo token management, and the swarm mechanic. We all had a fun experience playing the first mission which was relatively easy, however my grandson almost died twice!

One game isn't enough to say how deep the game is, however I am looking forward to getting it to the table again soon.
I saw the reviews on BGG last night, and it was getting great numbers. If it turns out to be good, I may still wishlist it - my son and I would love to rolls some dice for rock and stone!
Ertic

Post by Ertic »

Since my last post I have played missions 2-5 of DRG with five different players. Everyone that has tried the game has enjoyed it, and the difficulty/scaling of the missions has felt spot on. This appears to be one of the better video game to board game adaptations I have tried, and am happy with the game.

Solid purchase if you enjoy coop games.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

... Dammit.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

So yay, finally got my DRG shipping notice, coming from Lakewood, NJ, about 1.5 hours away LOL.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've heard it's the greatest game since chess! Also, it will add two inches to your biceps, take 3 inches off your waist, and it smells good!
Covfefe!
Ertic

Post by Ertic »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:02 pm I've heard it's the greatest game since chess! Also, it will add two inches to your biceps, take 3 inches off your waist, and it smells good!
Damn if that's the case I need to get my money back.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Anyone familiar with the current Rainbow 6 KS drama?
Short version. KS is completed. Pledge manager is completed. Funds were paid for both.
Mythic Games is now basically holding the game for ransom and demanding more money or you don't get your game. It's not like they are asking for an extea $20, no they are asking for an additional approximate 60% more.
Ex. I went all in for about $450. Already paid shipping.
They want an additional $300 from me or I don't get my game.
Everyones additional "contribution"( it's what they are calling the ransom) will vary but it seems to be about 60% of what you already paid. They are also asking to pay more shipping. They also only gave everyone about 30 days to come up with the money.
If you pay the ransom you might get your game. If you dont then you DEFINITELY won't get it. Instead you get added to the refund list that is already a year behind and you only get some of your money back although most people believe that few if any will actually get their refunds. They only process a limited amount of refunds per month apparently.
I have gone on a fixed income since my initial PM payments and just can't afford to pay the ransom but I'm not sure I'd want to pay if I could.
Definitely staying away from Mythic Games going forward.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just read the last few updates. Did they really play the 'unexpected COVID expenses' card on a game funded in mid-2021?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:04 pm I just read the last few updates. Did they really play the 'unexpected COVID expenses' card on a game funded in mid-2021?
Yes.
They also blamed the war in Ukraine.
They also still haven't explained where the shipping money we already paid went.
Enough people paid the ransom that they are allegedly starting production for those people with a ship date in Oct. I'll be shocked if it makes that date but I won't be a part of it. Just way too much money to come up with at the last minute.
Oh, and I forgot this little gem.
If you say went all in you can also drop yourpledhe to a lower level HOWEVER the way they are doing that is still scummy as hell.
Let's say I went all in at 400.
Lets say the new cost of all in is now 700.
I can't afford the difference now so I say drop to base game that was say 80 and is now 120.
Logic says that I should get a refund of 280 and be all set with my new pledge. NOPE.
I have to submit a refund request for the full 400 and pay my 120 up front.
So even if you wanted to drop your pledge to cover the difference you can't.
With refunds already 1 year behind and they having some sort of refund limit each month in addition to the bad press they will get once this all becomes mainstream I can't see them lasting much longer. I'm generally easy going and flexible with KS issues but this isn't a new company. They've been doing this for a while. Apparently they mismanaged their last KS as well but only asked for an additional 30 dollars give or take. This one takes ot to a whole new level.
I don't usually hold grudges but I fully plan to back every KS they try to create just to hit the comments to warn people about this company. Obviously I'll cancel at the last minute because they are not getting any money from me.
They also apparently knew about the money issues for a long time but kept putting off giving us any sort of realistic idea of what we would need to pay extra until the last second.
Honestly, this is the 2nd KS I've backed where it really sounds like a scam to steal money. The 1st was a $30 3d model KS that the creator canceled almost immediately AFTER funding. He just took the money and ran. I complained to KS about that one and nothing happened but at least it was only $30.
This is a lot worse and the whole give us a lot of money right away or you get nothing screams like they are just trying to get as much money as they can before just announcing they are shutting down or something.
I hope the people who paid get there stuff because this isn't their fault but I'm also not gonna have much sympathy for them if this falls apart like a lot of people think it will.
I'm real skeptical about a 5-6 month schedule to produce everything from scratch and have it shipped. They are saying that backers will have their products by Oct. They have mismanaged this for over a year but all of the sudden NOW they'll get their act together? Doubtful.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yikes, that does sound shady as heck. I had a similar problem recently with Drunagor, but thankfully that turned out to be an issue with the game found software. They adjusted it eventually. Could this be a similar issue? Or are they just outright running a Ponzi scheme of sorts?
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:20 am Yikes, that does sound shady as heck. I had a similar problem recently with Drunagor, but thankfully that turned out to be an issue with the game found software. They adjusted it eventually. Could this be a similar issue? Or are they just outright running a Ponzi scheme of sorts?
I read through the last few updates. My guess is neither. My guess is that someone there mismanaged something horribly and they dug themselves into a hole where they can't pay their bills anymore. It's possible that they doing that old chestnut where they find they run a campaign for game 1, then find out it's more expensive than they expected, so they fund game 2 and use those funds to finish game 1, then use game 3 to fund game 2, and so on, until it finally falls apart. The difference is their approach. Instead of humble honesty, they're actually using strong arm/fear tactics. Other Kickstarters in similar situations have said, "We're in a pickle, and are out of money. We'll find a way to deliver, but we really do need help." Instead, they're using "You want your game? Well, you're going to have to offer us a little 'contribution.' Shall we say, oh, 60%? Yeah, 60%, if you don't want your game to have a little 'accident. You got 30 days."

And yeah, if you don't want to pay (or can't come up with hundreds of dollars in 30 days), you can ask for a refund, but you're probably not going to get it. They said that they'll honor refund requests in the order received, but that they have maximum number they'll pay every month (a number that they don't tell you - it could be 2), a number that they'll be adjusting behind the scenes to ensure that they money given back doesn't affect fulfillment. And given that this whole thing was that they are out of money for fulfillment, I'm guessing that every refund will affect it.

Also, unless I'm reading it wrong, they also backed out on some of the languages they were publishing it in at the last minute. Don't worry, though, if you don't speak one of the languages that got more sales than yours, you can ask for a refund.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:28 am Also, unless I'm reading it wrong, they also backed out on some of the languages they were publishing it in at the last minute. Don't worry, though, if you don't speak one of the languages that got more sales than yours, you can ask for a refund.
Or get a PDF of the game in your chosen language. I had read that as well.

...although I doubt they have it in my preferred language, Esperanto.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Yeah, it's definitely not a programming mistake. It's very deliberate.
Most people agree with Blackhawk. They mismanaged previous KSs and use future KSs to pay for them but don't remember to increase the cost of the cost of the current KS to cover both and it just keeps going.
I have had other KSs do the ask thing and sent what I could. This is way different.
If they had increased the pricing in the PM there would have been complaints but at least you knew what you were getting into and could choose to spend more or less.
This is horrible on so many levels.
Plus, if they don't reach a minimum number of contributions then nobody gets the game including the people who paid for a 3rd time. You just get added to the refund queue minus any fees that have already been paid including the new credit card fees from tound 3 of payments. So you could theoretically pay an additional $300, not enough people contribute, game gets canceled and you're out the 300 plus your intial 400. Minus the fees so you won't even get your full 300 back. I think they mentioned around 6% off that but I could be wrong.
They did apparently get enough contributions because there are quite a few comments about wanting the game and not wanting their initial money to go to waste not realizing that there is nothing stopping MG from just asking for more money down the road or mismanagement causing them not to be able to pay for the shipping or some other thing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Punisher wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:12 pm Plus, if they don't reach a minimum number of contributions then nobody gets the game including the people who paid for a 3rd time. You just get added to the refund queue minus any fees that have already been paid including the new credit card fees from tound 3 of payments.
This really is a cut your losses scenario then. If you can't afford to 100% lose your initial investment and whatever additional money they're asking for now, walk away and accept the loss. I have about 6 KS projects now that are in limbo and I honestly don't expect to see any of them. The latest one (Rallyman: Dirt) was literally in the warehouse ready for distribution when the publisher declared bankruptcy.

I'm a bit surprised the licensor for the R6 name hasn't stepped in because this association is really going to tarnish the "brand" moving forward.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:23 pm I'm a bit surprised the licensor for the R6 name hasn't stepped in because this association is really going to tarnish the "brand" moving forward.
That would be Ubisoft... so I'm not sure they are that worried about this tarnishing their reputation. They are good at doing that all on their own. :ninja:

Out of the blue I got my copy of Too Many Bones Unbreakable. I knew they were shipping soon, but not right not. I haven't had time to look at the new stuff, but hopefully all there and all good. Of course I don't think I can fit it into my Trove box, so that is a bit of a bummer.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:51 pm Of course I don't think I can fit it into my Trove box, so that is a bit of a bummer.
I have the room, but none of the stickers. Apparently I was supposed to buy a $30 set on the backer kit to get trays and stickers. My Trove box was only about 70% filled so I already had a ton of storage space and empty trays. Didn't realize I needed to actually buy more and the sticker set to get access. I'm less than amused, so now I just have a pretty full trove and a whole bunch of stuff without labels.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

baelthazar wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:51 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:23 pm I'm a bit surprised the licensor for the R6 name hasn't stepped in because this association is really going to tarnish the "brand" moving forward.
That would be Ubisoft... so I'm not sure they are that worried about this tarnishing their reputation. They are good at doing that all on their own. :ninja:

Out of the blue I got my copy of Too Many Bones Unbreakable. I knew they were shipping soon, but not right not. I haven't had time to look at the new stuff, but hopefully all there and all good. Of course I don't think I can fit it into my Trove box, so that is a bit of a bummer.
In their FAQ the publisher mentioned licensing costs as one of the expenses drawn from the initial 1.5 million KS money so I’m sure that since Ubisoft ain’t waiting for their money they aren’t even an afterthought.

As I read about the game and the assorted comments I feel pretty bad for the backers.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:05 pm
baelthazar wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:51 pm Of course I don't think I can fit it into my Trove box, so that is a bit of a bummer.
I have the room, but none of the stickers. Apparently I was supposed to buy a $30 set on the backer kit to get trays and stickers. My Trove box was only about 70% filled so I already had a ton of storage space and empty trays. Didn't realize I needed to actually buy more and the sticker set to get access. I'm less than amused, so now I just have a pretty full trove and a whole bunch of stuff without labels.
I just happened to catch the update that told previous Trove Chest owners that they needed to buy the gearloc and tyrant storage expansion for another 25 bucks. But it was close. The price for the Trove Chest is a bit higher than I paid for mine the last time around though, so the 25 bucks extra didn’t upset me too much in light of that. But I really think they should have just included it for everyone at the all in new gameplay level.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For me it's kinda wasteful. I already have quite a few empty trays - all I need is a sticker sheet, which I'm happy to pay for. I totally missed the info somehow regarding all that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m betting if you send them an email, they’ll sell you that cheap. They do have fantastic customer service.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'll give them that. Here's hoping I'm not the only one with a similar issue and maybe they'll eventually start selling them in their online store.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

baelthazar wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:51 pm Out of the blue I got my copy of Too Many Bones Unbreakable. I knew they were shipping soon, but not right not. I haven't had time to look at the new stuff, but hopefully all there and all good. Of course I don't think I can fit it into my Trove box, so that is a bit of a bummer.
I received my shipment as well today. It was packed very well and arrived in great shape. From what I understand, everything is supposed to fit in the trove chest. But I must admit, mine is already quite full. I know I have room for more cards and probably the chips for new baddies, but fitting in the the new characters mats will be super tight. There were what . . . 2 characters in the Unbreakable expansion, 3 additional characters, and then of course Riffle, if you bought it during one of the "pop up" sales. (I did, of course. :mrgreen: )
Last edited by Fishbelly on Tue May 16, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

$iljanus wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:39 pm
baelthazar wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:51 pm

In their FAQ the publisher mentioned licensing costs as one of the expenses drawn from the initial 1.5 million KS money so I’m sure that since Ubisoft ain’t waiting for their money they aren’t even an afterthought.

As I read about the game and the assorted comments I feel pretty bad for the backers.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Ubi was the 1st bill they paid after the KS ended. While a few people have brought Ubi up just about nobody believes they will actually care or do anything about it. They got their money and I'll bet that the minute they did they wiped their hands of the whole thing except for any game approvals.
Ertic

Post by Ertic »

The Apex Legends Kickstarter is live for anyone interested. I'm old and slow so maybe I can win a match or two on a table rather than on a screen!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Little something for Blackhawk?

WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Backed this on a whim. Hopefully it'll be good

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:Little something for Blackhawk?

Ugh. Cards on a tabletop. I hate rules sets that have you put cards on the table to keep track of units. That was a big turn off for me with Dead Man’s Hand, and one of the reasons I stopped playing that rule set.

(Unless those cards were just there during a play phase and are picked up again right away, in which case carry on.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If they're using Savage Worlds rules, then the cards determine initiative. Kings go before Jacks, who go before 5s, jokers go whenever they want and get a bonus, etc.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just got my honkin' big box o' Too Many Bones stuff today. That's just an embarrassing amount of stuff I'll probably barely play. I think I'm at the point now in life where my gaming obsession is entering a new phase. One in which I just stick with stuff I know I'll play consistently.* I've already avoided more than a few kickstarters that I would have jumped on immediately "back in the day" (which, let's be frank, is just a matter of a few months ago).

Still, I suspect I'll play this at some point. If I do find myself tiring of TMB at some point, I do believe the resale value is still fairly high at least.

*at least I fervently hope this is the case.
Covfefe!