Grifman

Joe, no, the other one, for president

Post by Grifman »

What a disaster this would be:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Re: Joe, no, the other one, for president

Post by malchior »

So 'No Label' is being funded by GOP aligned operatives, right? Anyone who thinks Biden isn't a centrist doesn't have their head on straight. FWIW this is what I've always worried about when I talked about how difficult it was for anyone to maintain a winning coalition that doesn't have any of the red states in it. The temptation to forge one built in fantasy is very strong. The 'radical centrists' really think there is a real appetite for this. They could very well hand us over to the darkness and/or hasten a hot civil war.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

By “GOP aligned operatives” you mean Russians (and/or possibly Chinese), correct?

Only half tongue in cheek there.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The oligarchs R us corporate candidate...
The call included several billionaire investors and corporate executives, among them Louis Bacon, chief executive of Moore Capital Management; Kenneth D. Tuchman, founder of global outsourcing company TeleTech; and Howard Marks, the head of Oaktree Capital, one of the largest private equity firms in the country. The Zoom participant log included a dial-in from Tudor Investment Corporation, the hedge fund founded by billionaire Paul Tudor Jones. Also present was a roster of heavy-hitting political influencers, including Republican consultant Ron Christie and Lieberman, who serves as a representative of No Labels and now advises corporate interests.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:00 pm What a disaster this would be:

So not the plumber?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:33 pm By “GOP aligned operatives” you mean Russians (and/or possibly Chinese), correct?

Only half tongue in cheek there.
Who knows anymore. Our esteemed elite have made it impossible to see who is donating money so it could be anyone.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:04 pm So 'No Label' is being funded by GOP aligned operatives, right? Anyone who thinks Biden isn't a centrist doesn't have their head on straight. FWIW this is what I've always worried about when I talked about how difficult it was for anyone to maintain a winning coalition that doesn't have any of the red states in it. The temptation to forge one built in fantasy is very strong. The 'radical centrists' really think there is a real appetite for this. They could very well hand us over to the darkness and/or hasten a hot civil war.
Clarence Thomas's vacation buddy Harlan Crow is a big funder of "No Labels." So, yeah.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:54 pm
malchior wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:04 pm So 'No Label' is being funded by GOP aligned operatives, right? Anyone who thinks Biden isn't a centrist doesn't have their head on straight. FWIW this is what I've always worried about when I talked about how difficult it was for anyone to maintain a winning coalition that doesn't have any of the red states in it. The temptation to forge one built in fantasy is very strong. The 'radical centrists' really think there is a real appetite for this. They could very well hand us over to the darkness and/or hasten a hot civil war.
Clarence Thomas's vacation buddy Harlan Crow is a big funder of "No Labels." So, yeah.
Also, there's no chance in hell that Manchin can win CA (hell, I expect he would lose West Virginia!), so this is just to eff Biden up in the swing states.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Wait, the other Joe?

:wink:
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

All the Republicans need is an “independent” that can take 5-10% off the Democrats in the way Perot took 18% of Bush Snr which undoubtedly carried the 1992 election to Clinton.

A conservative Democrat like Joe Manchin might take votes from the republicans as well. They need a Ross Perot not a Jesse Ventura.

They need someone like Tricia Cotham who pretends to be a centrist and then switches to hard right on a dime after the election. :twisted: :twisted:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Defiant wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:13 pm
Wait, the other Joe?
I was expecting the black sheep Kennedy, before I remembered that he's a Robert.
waitingtoconnect wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:33 pm A conservative Democrat like Joe Manchin might take votes from the republicans as well. They need a Ross Perot not a Jesse Ventura.
I agree that Manchin might draw votes from both parties more or less equally. Ideologically, he's a moderate R, to the extent that ideology drives him at all. Sinema would be a bigger threat to Dems, IMO.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:50 pm
Defiant wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:13 pm
Wait, the other Joe?
I was expecting the black sheep Kennedy, before I remembered that he's a Robert.

I thought it was going to be "Joe the Plumber"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:33 pm All the Republicans need is an “independent” that can take 5-10% off the Democrats in the way Perot took 18% of Bush Snr which undoubtedly carried the 1992 election to Clinton.
Exit polling shows that Perot voters would have voted roughly evenly between Bush Sr and Clinton if Perot hadn't run, so it is doubtful Bush would have won. 2000 is a far clearer example of a third party candidate costing an election.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Defiant wrote:
waitingtoconnect wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:33 pm All the Republicans need is an “independent” that can take 5-10% off the Democrats in the way Perot took 18% of Bush Snr which undoubtedly carried the 1992 election to Clinton.
Exit polling shows that Perot voters would have voted roughly evenly between Bush Sr and Clinton if Perot hadn't run, so it is doubtful Bush would have won. 2000 is a far clearer example of a third party candidate costing an election.
Pretty sure you mean 1992, unless you mistyped and completely mischatcterized Ralph Nader's impact in 2000.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:55 pm
Defiant wrote:
Pretty sure you mean 1992, unless you mistyped and completely mischatcterized Ralph Nader's impact in 2000.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
No, I didn't mistype - Nader in 2000 is a clearer example of a third party candidate costing an election. 1992 was not, per the exit polling.

Bush Jr won Florida by 537 votes. Nader won 97,488 votes in Florida. While there's no polling to back it up, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that had Nader not run, Gore would have gotten at least 0.5% more of Nader's votes than Bush would have and would have won Florida, the electoral college and the presidency.