The George Santos Circus

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

naednek

Re: The George Santos Circus

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:36 am
Octavious wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:55 am Just the libs using the DOJ as a weapon again! Ridiculous! What about Clinton? Lincoln? My dog Toby?
My grandmother had a dog named Toby. What a great dog!
my dog is named Toby and he's an asshole
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You don't like what Toby's saying, then stay off his Twitter account!
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You get who you elect. Democracy is about participating in your own oppression.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just saw a report on tv that McCarthy is suddenly moving to refer Santos to ethics committee for expulsion. What could be coming that was worse than what we already know?! Apparently there has to be something though because McCarthy through yesterday was unwilling to touch him.

Edit: Also possible that McCarthy is sending it to ethics for fellow Republicans to either slow play it or exonerate him. Let's see...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:48 pm I just saw a report on tv that McCarthy is suddenly moving to refer Santos to ethics committee for expulsion. What could be coming that was worse than what we already know?! Apparently there has to be something though because McCarthy through yesterday was unwilling to touch him.
A host of challengers are announcing. The GOP needs to kick him out to get someone in there who won't lose to a half eaten slice of pizza, let alone a decent Dem candidate.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

That's definitely possible.

I also have to give credit to some of the Democrats who figured out a parliamentary procedure to push expulsion that at least grabbed some headlines and put pressure on McCarthy to do something at least. I welcome them leveling up their ability to at least show some spine.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I believe it takes 2/3 of the House to vote to expel. Since the last few sane members of the House GOP don't make up that tally even with all the Democrats on board, the MTG/Gaetz party will get to extract further concessions from McCarthy before they agree to play along.

I'll go ahead and put down a marker on "refuse to raise the debt ceiling under any circumstances" as the price demanded.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Odd, I read that McC needs Santos at least through the end of the month because Santos was the decisive vote on the R debt ceiling bill. McC needs Santos in the short term to pass any debt limit agreement. Maybe they've just decided they aren't going to do that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:48 pm Edit: Also possible that McCarthy is sending it to ethics for fellow Republicans to either slow play it or exonerate him. Let's see...

Just now 100% of House republicans voted to block expelling con artist and indicted fraudster george santos and then cowardly buried the matter in committee to keep him in Congress.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:39 pm Odd, I read that McC needs Santos at least through the end of the month because Santos was the decisive vote on the R debt ceiling bill. McC needs Santos in the short term to pass any debt limit agreement. Maybe they've just decided they aren't going to do that.
This, and yet it says a LOT about how dysfunctional the GOP is that the US not Defaulting probably depends on an accused felon and fraudster (again?).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Truth continues to be stranger than fiction:
George Santos, the lying and indicted GOP congressman from Queens, New York, has steadfastly refused to say where he was on January 6, 2021, while pro-Trump rioters were attacking the US Capitol to prevent the certification of Joe Biden’s electoral victory. He was filmed that day in the VIP section for the Donald Trump rally at the Ellipse that preceded the assault, but his post-rally whereabouts remain a mystery. Yet newly uncovered photos and video footage of January 6 show that his attorney, Joseph Murray, was in the angry pro-Trump mob that trespassed on Capitol grounds.

Archived footage obtained by Mother Jones from that day traces the movements of Murray and Angela Ng, who is identified on the website of Murray’s law firm as its office manager, as they marched from the Ellipse to the Capitol. Both Murray and Ng are retired New York police officers. Ng is also currently listed as working for Santos in his Queens district office as a constituent services representative, according to LegiStorm.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Archived footage?!

I thought all government archives were destroyed and the use of any surviving and unregistered archives was made to be a criminal offense way back in 2025.

Oh, wait, I'm getting ahead of myself.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The mystery of who paid his bail has been solved:
An ABC News journalist reported Thursday that Santos told her that his father and aunt put up the $500,000 bail bond that allowed Santos to walk free after his arrest by federal authorities. MSNBC confirmed the report.

Santos’ father, Gercino dos Santos Jr. lives in New York and previously worked as a house painter, according to The New York Times.

His aunt is Elma Santos Preven. Federal elections data shows an Elma S. Preven contributed several thousand dollars to Santos’ campaign and is listed as working as a mail handler for the United States Postal Service, with an address in Queens, New York.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I have so many more questions now.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:07 pm I have so many more questions now.
Dude every mail carrier and house painter has a spare 500k sitting around.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

His opposition to having them revealed sure makes more sense. On the one hand, yeah they're family members ad he wanted to protect their privacy. But on the other, how indeed did they scrape up that kind of cash?

George Santos really is a man of mystery.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Time for someone to look at the CTRs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Funny how Adam Schiff is censured but this guy....
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:40 pm The mystery of who paid his bail has been solved:
An ABC News journalist reported Thursday that Santos told her that ...

[...]
Let me stop you right there...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Santos enjoyed a $500k windfall when his ticket for a trip on the Titan was canceled.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:35 pm Let me stop you right there...
:lol:

They did have supporting documents. For example, take a look at this:

SANTOS: The redacted transcript of the hearing at which his dad signed the appearance bond has been released. And his dad attests that neither he nor his aunt owns any home or property that could satisfy the $500k bond.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, wait - what???
I'm lost now.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I understood it to mean that Santos lied. Yet again. About where the money came from.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TheMix wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:14 pm I understood it to mean that Santos lied. Yet again. About where the money came from.
No. Way.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I'm ignorant because I didn't think campaign funds paid benefits to the person running. Is that normal? If so, I'm going to announce my campaign tomorrow, raise money and just add myself to the payroll.
The campaign of embattled Rep. George Santos, who is facing federal indictment on fraud and money laundering charges, paid the congressmember $85,000 in the second quarter of this year.

Though the New York representative says he is running for reelection, he spent virtually nothing on campaigning.

The payments the campaign made to Santos stemmed from hundreds of thousands of dollars that the congressmember previously loaned to his campaign. Those loans had sparked questions about how Santos had so much money to lend his political efforts. Previous reports with the Federal Election Commission indicated Santos had loaned the campaign $715,000, although his latest report indicated he was now owed only $530,000.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:51 am I guess I'm ignorant because I didn't think campaign funds paid benefits to the person running. Is that normal? If so, I'm going to announce my campaign tomorrow, raise money and just add myself to the payroll.
The campaign of embattled Rep. George Santos, who is facing federal indictment on fraud and money laundering charges, paid the congressmember $85,000 in the second quarter of this year.

Though the New York representative says he is running for reelection, he spent virtually nothing on campaigning.

The payments the campaign made to Santos stemmed from hundreds of thousands of dollars that the congressmember previously loaned to his campaign. Those loans had sparked questions about how Santos had so much money to lend his political efforts. Previous reports with the Federal Election Commission indicated Santos had loaned the campaign $715,000, although his latest report indicated he was now owed only $530,000.
The $85K looks like a loan repayment. Nothong too crazy there. The question, which has been asked often, is where did he get the money to loan his campaign in the first place.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, but aren't there issues about loan repayment, like timing? I'd think if he (allegedly) loans the campaign $50K on Day 1 and then over the weekend takes in $55K in donations, what's stopping anyone from taking the $50K back immediately and leaving campaign with $5K in operating expenses on Day 3? It feels like...loan repayment should be last - after campaign official ends and all other expenses/debts have been accounted for. Otherwise, it seems like there's potential (to me) for financial abuse. Or maybe that's just normal (and expected) in politics.

Maybe they are following all the rules and they can pay out quarterly, it just seems...sketchy.

And also yes, where did the money come from initially to loan to the campaign - of course. It will also be interesting to see if the campaign ever paid money to his dad and/or aunt as well - either directly or in loan payback.

He apparently hasn't learned the Ted Cruz trick of "writing" a book to launder money.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Santos likely took money from somewhere to get started. He’s taking the money out to repay it, in theory. Unless he’s pocketing the money which is also likely because he’s a known scam artist. His campaign finances should be under investigation.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:00 pm He apparently hasn't learned the Ted Cruz trick of "writing" a book to launder money.
Supreme Court overturns law that barred Ted Cruz from fully recouping a personal loan he made to his campaign
Chief Justice John Roberts said in the court majority’s opinion that disallowing candidates from being able to fully recoup their funds past the cap could lead to less campaign messaging.

“That risk in turn may deter some candidates from loaning money to their campaigns when they otherwise would, reducing the amount of political speech,” Roberts wrote.
That would be such a horrible thing...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holy crap, how did I forget about that ruling? It's weird how all these things are connected somehow, eh?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:55 pm Holy crap, how did I forget about that ruling? It's weird how all these things are connected somehow, eh?
What could have possibly distracted you over the last year???
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You don't even know the half of it. Someday, but today is not that day.

But yeah, it's been a year. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess more eyes on his campaign finances is a good thing:
Since his May 10 indictment, Rep. George Santos (R-NY) has brought in a surprising amount of money—about $133,000, according to his new campaign finance report—but what’s more interesting than Santos just raising money is who’s been donating to him and why.

The short answer? It may have something to do with Guo Wengui, the self-proclaimed billionaire who defected from China and is now an enthusiastic supporter of American right-wing causes.

The vast majority of Santos’ fundraising haul—a total of $101,861—rolled in over the course of just three days, between May 20 and May 22. All of those donors had Chinese surnames, almost all of them contributed the maximum allowable amount of $3,300, and 26 of them had never given to Santos previously, according to Federal Election Commission data. For 14 of those donors, it was their first political contribution ever.
If only we could do this regularly for all of the politicians...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... donor-ids/
Santos, 35, faces 10 additional charges, according to the indictment: one count of conspiracy to commit offenses against the United States, two counts of wire fraud, two counts of making materially false statements to the Federal Election Commission, two counts of falsifying records submitted to obstruct the Federal Election Commission, two counts of aggravated identity theft, and one count of access device fraud.
Next Speaker of the House right there.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

😂 😂
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

One hilarious point is that he's responding to a charge of impersonation by declaring "That wasn't me!"

I mean, yeah, we heard that the first time.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:50 pm

😂 😂
This makes me think Santos has no idea what Fascism is and it also points out just how rotten he is. He's essentially saying "don't punish me for the wrong things I've done because if you do I'll tattle on you for the wrong things you've done". That's the very definition of political rot. He also has no clue that he has absolutely zero good will built up with anyone and has no leverage at all.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Tents is opening again:
Some New York Republicans say they're going to push ahead with a formal resolution to expel embattled Rep. George Santos, Republican of New York, now that the House is open after its three-week speaker stalemate.

Santos' New York House colleagues announced a measure last week to boot him from Congress, after federal prosecutors added new charges and allegations to a federal indictment that accuses Santos of committing fraud and conspiracy.

The New York Republicans said they expect to move ahead with the measure as early as this week.

Santos faces an arraignment court proceeding on the newest charges Friday morning at the federal courthouse in Central Islip, New York.
Note:
An expulsion resolution requires a two-thirds vote of the entire House. The measure does not need to go through a time-consuming committee process to reach a floor vote.

The House Ethics Committee has already launched a probe of Santos. One New York House Republican told CBS News he expects a report on Santos from the Ethics Committee will be coming "soon."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

THE HOUSE voted overwhelmingly to reject a resolution to expel George Santos.

213 voted no
179 voted yes
19 voted present.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Absolute clownshow.