RIP Klaus Teuber

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

RIP Klaus Teuber

Post by Zaxxon »

baelthazar

Re: RIP Klaus Teuber

Post by baelthazar »

I saw that this morning. His game basically restarted my adult love of board games when we grabbed a copy to play in college. For there it was the gateway to a whole larger world.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:25 pm I saw that this morning. His game basically restarted my adult love of board games when we grabbed a copy to play in college. For there it was the gateway to a whole larger world.
Similar story here.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

That is sad, as I don't believe Klaus Teuber was particularly old.

Catan was the first modern Euro board game I can recall playing, and it undeniably helped get me hooked on the hobby as a whole. So RIP, and kudos for the innumerable memories and joy his games have surely brought to families all over the world.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:37 pm That is sad, as I don't believe Klaus Teuber was particularly old.
He was 70.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unsurprisingly my story is similar. Catan was the first what I consider "adult" board game I ever bought. While I was a big fan of mass market boardgames (Sorry, Monopoly, etc) all my life, Catan was certainly my gateway into the modern hobby.

One of the guys in my gaming group is such a huge Catan fan that he actually has an $800 custom-made Catan table.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Same here, although I think we tried Carcassonne before Catan. It was a big hit for awhile... I fondly remember playing it a lot with my wife and son during her 2nd pregnancy, we would sometimes play twice in a night.

Strangely, despite my completionist OCD, the only expansions I ever bought for Catan were the 5-6 player add on and Seafarers. Played one 6 player game it was just too long, never even tried Seafarers.

I'm not gamer snooty about Catan now, I'd happily play it... but I think it's just a little too long. Maybe playing to 8 points would suit us better.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I picked up Catan from a long gone game shop here. Went to a friend's house played it and that is when I learned there are games better than Risk and Monopoly, those were the only games that I grew up playing.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*