Soccer (All Leagues)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Alefroth

Soccer (All Leagues)

Post by Alefroth »

England v Italy in the Euro final today.

England have had a pretty solid tournament. I'll go with England 3-2
Isgrimnur

Re: Soccer (All Leagues)

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Good lord, what an absolutely epic fail from England.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:55 pm Good lord, what an absolutely epic fail from England.
Totally. What a game overall though.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Southgate is going to get crucified for putting in those two subs (who both missed in the shootout) in the last minute.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:44 pm Southgate is going to get crucified for putting in those two subs (who both missed in the shootout) in the last minute.
I expect so. Putting young players in a spot like that probably deserves to be criticized some. It'll be hard for him to explain his decision to put in subs that he sat most of the tournament. It is a bit of a headscratcher.

Also, the entire 2nd half of regulation was a complete mess for England. They dominated the 1st half. To see Italians adjust in the 2nd and put pressure on England the entire time without an answer won't be a good storyline for him either.
Holman

Post by Holman »

There's something wrong with the whole culture of sport when Twitter right now is Londoners giving advice to foreigners about how and where to avoid violent mobs.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

There’s a lot to be said for what’s wrong with the culture of sport today. After that final, I’m in no mood.

Hats off to Italy. Hard to root against that team. I remember hearing the heartbreak and soul-crushing depression in the voices when NPR was doing man-on-the-street interviews with Italians when Italy failed to even qualify for the last World Cup. Good for them that they bounced back and rebuilt to win the Euros so quickly.

And what a run by England. But how hard to fall short at the end. I had a very bad feeling when they scored at 2” that they’d immediately turtle and try to protect that 1-0 lead, which, to my uneducated eye appeared to be exactly what they did. What a shame given all the potential offensive firepower that squad has at its disposal.

Oh well. If they were going to lose, I’m glad it was to Italy. They were deserving. And all my Italian colleagues will be very, very happy when I talk to them this week. So there’s that. But, still. As an England supporter . . . Very bummed.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Salvador has suspended all "conglomeration of masses" for the next 90 days, including sporting events, due to the Coronavirus.

This means El Salvador will either have to play their first three World Cup qualifiers at home behind closed doors, or possibly just move them to the US instead.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Leo Messi OUT at Barcelona, as Barca is blocked from being able to complete their re-signing of the player.

What an epic fail.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
Messi, 34, has been a free agent since his previous terms expired on June 30, but ESPN revealed in July a loose agreement over a five-year extension had been reached.

However, Barca have been unable to register Messi's new contract with LaLiga while complying with the league's financial fair play rules.
Barca's spending stood at over €600 million prior to the coronavirus pandemic but was reduced to €347m last season and is expected to be slashed even further for the upcoming campaign.

Therefore, to register Messi's new contract with the league, the Catalan club needed to reduce their wage bill or bring in a significant amount of money in transfers.

However, the club have failed to move on big earners such as Miralem Pjanic, Philippe Coutinho and Samuel Umtiti and have so far failed to reach an agreement with some of the club's longer-serving players over wage cuts.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:21 pm Leo Messi OUT at Barcelona, as Barca is blocked from being able to complete their re-signing of the player.

What an epic fail.
My son was devastated. He was very upset when I talked to him this morning.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

At US vs Canada world cup qualifier.
Enlarge Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Lassr on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That's awesome.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Pulisic
Enlarge Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ESPN:
A World Cup qualifier between Brazil and Argentina was suspended after Brazilian health officials objected to the participation of four Argentine players they say broke quarantine rules.

Just minutes after kickoff on Sunday at Corinthians Arena in Sao Paulo, officials entered the pitch to stop the game, prompting players from Argentina to walk off the pitch.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

A survivor of the Hillsborough disaster has died of injuries sustained there 32 years ago, making him the 97th casualty.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-58005871
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Sheriff just upset Real Madrid in the Bernabéu on this absolute wonder goal.

Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

DOS A CERO
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:09 amDOS A CERO
McKennie and Robinson both out for Jamaica match on Tuesday (qualifier) due to cards. It got chippy and USMNT is tied with Mexico on points.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Some fun upsets in England's FA Cup tournament this weekend:

Nottingham Forest beats Arsenal, who sit 25 places above them in English football.

Cambridge United over Newcastle, who are 41 places above them.

Kidderminster defeats Reading, 79 places above them.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The Seattle Sounders become the first MLS team to become CCL champions beating Pumas 5-2.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Alefroth wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:51 am The Seattle Sounders become the first MLS team to become CCL champions beating Pumas 5-2.
and they made it look easy...

Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Pretty sick.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh hell yeah, totally sweet. Almost feel bad for the goalie. No one could have covered that goal.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Nice volley. Keeper was too slow in her recovery though.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:08 am Oh hell yeah, totally sweet. Almost feel bad for the goalie. No one could have covered that goal.
She should have re-positioned quicker. She slowly jogged back to the goal with the ball on the opposite side of the box

Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I suppose a bit, but she would have covered the far side of the goal I think and mostly - that arch was perfect.

You are speaking laterally , but I think she had committed to being out from the goal, and that cost her any chance to be at the goal line
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Did anyone else catch the Thomas Tuchel v Antonio Conte dust-up at the Chelsea vs Tottenham game? Always entertaining to see a couple of middle-age managers act like petty teenagers.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:50 pm Did anyone else catch the Thomas Tuchel v Antonio Conte dust-up at the Chelsea vs Tottenham game? Always entertaining to see a couple of middle-age managers act like petty teenagers.

I was watching it live. They got into 2 tiffs during the match. It seemed to me like the Chelsea coach should have been more pissed at the refs and instead he was taking it out on the other coach. All of this over a tie.
FTE
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Got my season tickets tonight during Huntsville's MLS Next Pro team emblem reveal.

Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

This is the first season where I have not watched a single MLS match. The reason being that they signed an exclusive deal where all of the games for every team are on Apple TV (The only exceptions are the weekly spotlight games on FS1). So not only do you have to have Apple TV to watch your local team but you also have to sign up and pay extra to get the MLS package. I think this was a terrible move on MLSs part if they truly want to grow their league. It completely excludes every casual fan and now the only people watching are the hard core fans.

I refuse to pay for the MLS package and won't be watching any of their games this year. This is coming from someone who used to have season tickets to the Crew and would go to roughly 15 games a year.

I'll keep watching the Premier League and the Champions League.
FTE
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Lassr wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:13 pm Got my season tickets tonight during Huntsville's MLS Next Pro team emblem reveal.

Noice!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's crazy. I guess MLS went for the short term money rather than growing the sport.

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:16 pm This is the first season where I have not watched a single MLS match. The reason being that they signed an exclusive deal where all of the games for every team are on Apple TV (The only exceptions are the weekly spotlight games on FS1). So not only do you have to have Apple TV to watch your local team but you also have to sign up and pay extra to get the MLS package. I think this was a terrible move on MLSs part if they truly want to grow their league. It completely excludes every casual fan and now the only people watching are the hard core fans.

I refuse to pay for the MLS package and won't be watching any of their games this year. This is coming from someone who used to have season tickets to the Crew and would go to roughly 15 games a year.

I love soccer, but not necessarily any particular league. That's why I drifted to whichever league is the most accessible. For me right now, that's the EPL on Peacock. I haven't followed MLS much since it stopped airing on the ESPN app on X360.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Until last year you could watch every single MLS game on ESPN+ at no extra cost over the ESPN+ subscription (Excluding local blackouts). Which was a really good deal. Not to mention every team had local TV deals. This year nope, it will cost at least $17 per month for the ability to watch your local team.
FTE
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:16 pm This is the first season where I have not watched a single MLS match. The reason being that they signed an exclusive deal where all of the games for every team are on Apple TV (The only exceptions are the weekly spotlight games on FS1). So not only do you have to have Apple TV to watch your local team but you also have to sign up and pay extra to get the MLS package. I think this was a terrible move on MLSs part if they truly want to grow their league. It completely excludes every casual fan and now the only people watching are the hard core fans.

Signing up for Apple TV is free, and 40% of the games are in front of the paywall. You can't watch all your team's games if you don't pay, but it's not like you're prohibited from watching all of them.

Also it's $99 for a season which is quite a bit less than the $17 a month you stated in your last post (it's only $15 if you pay by the month anyway).
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:20 pm That's crazy. I guess MLS went for the short term money rather than growing the sport.
Considering the terrible state of production of a lot of games on regional sports networks (a bunch of which just went bankrupt after all) with some teams getting paid $0 for broadcast rights, and how little Fox cared about their MLS coverage anyway (which they still are putting zero effort into), I don't blame MLS for taking Apple's money.
Hodor.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:07 pm

Signing up for Apple TV is free, and 40% of the games are in front of the paywall. You can't watch all your team's games if you don't pay, but it's not like you're prohibited from watching all of them.

Also it's $99 for a season which is quite a bit less than the $17 a month you stated in your last post (it's only $15 if you pay by the month anyway).
It's $15 a month and I assume they tack on taxes and some fees. But even if it is just a flat $15 it's still exactly $15 more than the average sports fan will be willing to pay and therefore they will lose existing fans and fail to gain new ones. I find it hard to believe that any fan other than the hardcore supporters will shell out for it.

Also, think about what will happen if other leagues follow suit. Remember when it was just Netflix and it was fine. But then came Prime, Disney Plus, Discovery Plus, HBO Max, Paramount, Peacock, etc. It's suddenly extremely expensive to watch everything. Now imagine that the NBA, NCAA, NHL, NFL, MLB all follow suit. The days of Cable TV with everything you want to watch and a $100 a month cable TV bill are starting to become appealing.
FTE