[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by hepcat »

I'm not sure why you think it's weak though. :?
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres another video on them. They seem to have metaphasic shields and such which is nice. No mention if proton, neutron, or quantum torpedoes.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres another video looksee . Its all making me want to reinstall Star Trek Online and make a new character ....again. I just wish they'd fix their story stopping bugs. Do so much work down one quest line only to run into the same old bug again and again is disappointing. Then you have to leave that line and find a new quest to pursue. And Ive done them so many time it gets boring. lol.

Anyways....

Fireball

Post by Fireball »

I like the backstory notion that this is the Titan-A, despite being in large part the same ship as the original Titan, because the destruction of the Utopia Planitia shipyards forced Starfleet to reuse hard-to-produce elements (like the nacelles) of older ships while the ship building facilities were, themselves, being rebuilt.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I thought the Titan was originally based on a much different class (Titan class if I remember right), hence the A. This was based on details from Nemesis when Riker left to go to his own ship.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get it all mixed up myself from movies to books to tv shows.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Enlarge Image
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I should hate this final season of Picard for being so blatantly manipulative. It’s throwing so much nostalgia at me, I’m surprised I didn’t get a nosebleed during the latest episode. But damn it, it’s working on me. Every time some piece of history shows up, I smile. Every time a character from the past appears, I smile again. I also applaud the attempt to make these appearances somewhat organic and surprisingly less contrived than I thought they would be.
Spoiler:
I did roll my eyes at Kirk’s corpse being held at Daystrom. That made no goddamn sense. Also, how Shaw wasn’t aware that all Starfleet ships now “talk to each other” due to some kind of IoT mumbo jumbo was also a little hard to swallow…well…a lot hard to swallow. I mean, he’s a goddamn engineer. But no, he keeps saying how surprised he is that they’ve found them yet again, while ignoring the Find Me app blinking on his tricorder.

I will say Shaw’s scene with Geordi made me like him more. I’m coming around on him.
I feel like this is the end. Truly the end of the TNG generation. And it’s a bittersweet feeling. I wish they’d done this story in the first season and then just kept checking in with everyone each season after that. But I’ll take what I can get.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think it's because the current showrunner seems to understand what was needed better than the previous two, and while the nostalgia might seem a bit much, if the show would have been more like this from the start, it would have allowed them to spread things out a bit more. As it is, what we're getting is very much concentrated as if they're playing catchup because they know it's the last season to do these things.

I've heard discussion with LeVar Burton that there's a possible chance at a spinoff involving the new generation crew. His interview on The View yesterday with his daughter was quite good.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doesn't have to be the last. Throw money at them / it. Are the actors willing to press on? If so make more. Make money by spending money now. Dont piddle it out then try to come back later. Use it while you have it and they are here. People dont last forever. Shows come and go. Why quit when you just found your true footing?

Thats a great video too!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I got caught up. I am so embarrassed by this show. It frustrates me so much. This show--this opportunity--could have been so much more. But it's a turgid wankfest. And the latest episode was the wankiest of them all.

Spewing fanservice that rarely makes any logical sense. A cascade of coincidences that doesn't bear up to a moment of scrutiny. So many unearned emotional payoffs. (Each episode is a Picard therapy session.) About 37 plots and subplots when there should be, at most, a couple of main plots for a serial series plus one or two subplots to resolve each episode. It's not that these are all bad stories; they're just compressed, and most of the writing and dialogue is trite. I swear half this series has just been characters meeting for the first time in years, hugging as they rattle off lore nuggets. (Actually, it seems like Beverly is the only one who hugs? As if the male characters are afraid of contracting gayness cooties? But you know most of them will be hugging by the end.) And yeah, some of the references are extremely cool. But are our expectations so dismally low that this is enough? This really views like the ultimate fanfiction. It's just so incredibly cynical and infantile.
Spoiler:
Why, why, WHY won't they just have mercy on Data/Spiner and just let the character STAY DEAD? I was sad when they killed him off (unnecessarily) in Nemesis. I was excited and moved when they brought him back in the first season of Picard, even though I hated where the story went. But finding a way to bring him back is the most ridiculous contrivance in a show brimming over with them. And yeah, I get that this reunion didn't seem possible when they were writing season one, and it would have felt right not to bring Spiner back in some capacity. But it just makes my eyes roll. At least Spiner excels in this kind of role.

Also, what a moronic waste of Ro/Forbes. So damn convenient that Raffi's handler's handler is involved in the same plot bringing the rest of the characters together?

And will they please stop revisiting the Locutus fiasco?

I liked the Vulcan gangster though. (Even if the "we're going to make the two of you fight and bet on the victor!" thing was ludicrous.) I recall thinking in the past that it would be neat to see more Vulcan baddies.
I apologize for my ranting lunatic negative energy, but this is barely hyperbole. Maybe I'm unable to be objective, but I just can't figure out a way to enjoy this. I mean, I guess I'm glad everyone's being paid for something beyond the convention circuit.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

<all of Sudy’s complaints>

So it’s a lot like all Star Trek that has come before it? :mrgreen:

I will admit, it has quite a few flaws. But as I’ve stated numerous times before, as long as the stories are fun and keep to the basic tenants of what the Federation stands for (a crime i feel the first two seasons are terribly guilty of not doing), I can accept most of the plot holes and dumb mistakes (within reason...which is a highly subjective threshold, I know). Just as I did with TOS, TNG, DS9, etc..

But to each their own. I would just walk away and not bother anymore with this. It’s obviously no fun for you.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Did anyone in Picard milk a cow? Admit that’s what you’ve been looking for the whole time.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

no, but i did find the whole "Riker dreams he and Picard are Wayne and Garth" set to Dream Weaver scene.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:51 am I would just walk away and not bother anymore with this. It’s obviously no fun for you.
I get you, but these characters, at least in their original forms, are family. I'll continue watching for the same reason I saw Star Wars episodes three and nine. I knew they were certain to be incredible shit I'd mostly hate, but I was still devoted to the canon and wanted to see where the story went. I still have the hope there's something I'll like about Picard it in the end. And I feel the need to see it through in order to be a full participant in the discourse beyond "I hated it and stopped watching".

I can accept most of the plot holes and dumb mistakes (within reason...which is a highly subjective threshold, I know). Just as I did with TOS, TNG, DS9, etc..
I accept this as your philosophy and I'm earnestly happy it enables you to find enjoyment in some of the new stuff. But to me it's like saying, "The Rise of Skywalker was a decent Star Wars film because the better movies in the series also had plot holes sometimes." There are magnitudes, and it's worse when you combine multiple storytelling issues. I know it's a waste of time for me to do point-by-point comparisons because doing it properly and thoughtfully is a lot of work and it probably won't change your mind anyway. But it seems like your bullshit tolerance dial goes to eleven while mine is stuck on two.

When the older series were at their bests, they earned their emotional payoffs. Of course there were duds and inconsistencies; they were putting out 26 shows a year in the era of episodic television. Now, the writers can pretty much do anything they want. But they practice barely any restraint and have essentially written superficial self-parody. And it's not just bad Star Trek; it's bad television.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:31 pm But it seems like your bullshit tolerance dial goes to eleven while mine is stuck on two.
Funny. I was thinking mine goes to 4 and yours to -3748 based on this thread alone.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:ninja:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:mrgreen:
Covfefe!
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

I'm sorry some folks don't like this season. I am absolutely loving it — it's exactly what I want from a show about these characters set in 2401. It's a relief, given how awful season 2 was (after like the third episode). This and the excellent first season of Strange New Worlds have washed away the disappointment of Discovery Season 4 and Picard Season 2, for me.
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Fireball wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:50 pm I'm sorry some folks don't like this season. I am absolutely loving it — it's exactly what I want from a show about these characters set in 2401. It's a relief, given how awful season 2 was (after like the third episode). This and the excellent first season of Strange New Worlds have washed away the disappointment of Discovery Season 4 and Picard Season 2, for me.
This season of Picard is easily the best season of the show. The last few episodes in particular have been outstanding.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I carefully poke around in this thread to avoid spoilers, mostly because it is also serves as the general 'Star Trek' thread discussing the whole IP. I haven't watched anything after season 1, mostly because I've been wanting to rewatch some of the old series and I figure I'll catch up with this at the end (I rewatched Enterprise last year, and I'm part way through TOS right now.) I'm glad to hear it's improved.

And yes, I'll eventually watch Discovery. I'll just snarl all the way through season 1. ;)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think if viewed as its own beast and not a direct extension of any Star Trek previous to it, it works well as a Star Trek series. Strange New Worlds and Picard are benefiting from nostalgia in many cases (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you), while Discovery came out of the gate raring to differentiate itself. It tried too hard to reinvent a wheel that was already round initially, but then it stopped kicking and screaming and embraced the things that made old Star Trek fans like myself love the series to begin with. Granted, you have to sit through some growing pains (the Klingon debacle, for one), but eventually you get to, dare I say it, classic Trek.

And I liked season 4 for trying to combine the adventure of TOS with the humanity of TNG, with a bit of DS9's non black and white view of living in a utopian society caught in the midst of a galaxy that doesn't always agree with that thrown into the mix.
Covfefe!
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:52 pm I carefully poke around in this thread to avoid spoilers, mostly because it is also serves as the general 'Star Trek' thread discussing the whole IP. I haven't watched anything after season 1, mostly because I've been wanting to rewatch some of the old series and I figure I'll catch up with this at the end (I rewatched Enterprise last year, and I'm part way through TOS right now.) I'm glad to hear it's improved.

And yes, I'll eventually watch Discovery. I'll just snarl all the way through season 1. ;)
Season 1 is fine. It's Season 4 that is terrible. Season 2 is very good. Season 3 is rather good.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:13 pm I think if viewed as its own beast and not a direct extension of any Star Trek previous to it, it works well as a Star Trek series. Strange New Worlds and Picard are benefiting from nostalgia in many cases (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you), while Discovery came out of the gate raring to differentiate itself. It tried too hard to reinvent a wheel that was already round initially, but then it stopped kicking and screaming and embraced the things that made old Star Trek fans like myself love the series to begin with. Granted, you have to sit through some growing pains (the Klingon debacle, for one), but eventually you get to, dare I say it, classic Trek.
Sigh, the Klingon makeup in Discovery... The face prosthetics look pretty much fine once they let them have hair again, but the claws and fangs still make my eyes roll. Just chalking it up as more Klingon genetic manipulation gone awry, since Worf still looks like Worf in Picard. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The rather large mea culpa in season 2 is pretty fun though. They may as well have just flashed a sign up on the screen prior to episode 1 of season 2 stating "Yeah, we screwed up Klingons. We made giant worms with fangs and claws. Sorry. Let's forget that it happened."
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

As I watch this season’s eps, I swear I am constantly in awe like a little kid in a candy store. It just makes me so happy, I can’t quite describe it. It’s not just the nostalgia, it’s everything. Watching Seven get to intermingle with the TNG cast is just so lovely, my only regret is that she won’t get to interact with original Data as I had always fantasized about. Ed Speleers is excellent, I think they really did an awesome job casting him seemingly out of nowhere. He’s a little bit old/mature for the role, but I don’t mind. I think he’s done just a great job integrating into such a pivotal role. (Anyone watching You on Netflix? So odd to see him in two such different roles at the same time). I love what they’ve done with Worf, his character has evolved but brings some great new aspects. Ditto to Beverley, and the Picard/Bev dynamic has been performed achingly well. I’m a little disappointed we haven’t got to see more of Deanna, but hopefully she’ll get something interesting to do in the later episodes.

Yes I know there are plenty of plot holes and fan service contrivances and lots of things to pick nits in, but frankly I just don’t care. The show just sucked me in from the first moment and each week I feel like I’m watching the absolute best Star Trek that has ever existed. It’s like an extended movie with moment after moment, emotional, humorous, action-packed and most of all FUN.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its cool to hear Worf is getting his time. He got a lot in DS9 too. But in STTNG him and Deanna got left out. It was always like this in my view.....

Worf: Captain may I..."
Picard: "No"

or *Worf charges headfirst into danger without thinking again!* *Worf gets knocked out*

With Deanna it was always..

Deanna: "Sir, Im feeling anger" After the other character has already screamed at Picard on the view screen.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I find my favourite update is Worf. He's just awesome in this, and it's a real testament to Michael Dorn as an actor. I like that he still feels like Worf but slightly updated after so many years of not seeing him, yet it feels totally organic for the character.

As for Sudy's points, again, I think much of this is attributed to the fact that they're playing catch-up this season. If this is what it had been from the start with season 1 with all the references spread out more, I think it'd be much better. But as it is, they know it's the final season and they're packing in as many TNG things as possible.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wheres Dr Pulaski miss Diana Muldaur?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:14 pm Wheres Dr Pulaski miss Diana Muldaur?
She hasn't worked since '93.

Until now.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still has the same pretty eyes and recognizable voice. I remember when she joined STTNG I looked her up and was suprised to find she had been in the original Star Trek. Looked at that ep and wow ya was her young. Been here a long time.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Looks like someone's found her! :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That’s not Hannah.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fireball wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:35 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:52 pm I carefully poke around in this thread to avoid spoilers, mostly because it is also serves as the general 'Star Trek' thread discussing the whole IP. I haven't watched anything after season 1, mostly because I've been wanting to rewatch some of the old series and I figure I'll catch up with this at the end (I rewatched Enterprise last year, and I'm part way through TOS right now.) I'm glad to hear it's improved.

Season 1 is fine. It's Season 4 that is terrible. Season 2 is very good. Season 3 is rather good.
Oh, there were some entertaining arguments in one of these threads about my opinions on season 1. ;) Let's just say that by the time I made it through three or four episodes I wanted it to burn in a fire. But between the good things I've heard since, and given how much I love SNW, I'm willing to do my snarling and see what happens next.
hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:13 pm Strange New Worlds and Picard are benefiting from nostalgia in many cases (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you)
SNW absolutely benefited from nostalgia, but I think its biggest strength was is fantabulous casting. Between SNW, Hell on Wheels, and Inhumans*, I have really come to appreciate Anson Mount lately.

*Inhumans was an... ok show (although I don't think it was as bad as it's reputation suggests), but for a character who wasn't able to speak, I really enjoyed Mount's Black Bolt. I just didn't like the way they handled the rest of the Inhumans. What makes the comics stand out was almost completely absent in the show.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:05 am That’s not Hannah.
Is it one of her sisters?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Undetermined
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Undetermined is such a unique first name.
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:40 am SNW absolutely benefited from nostalgia, but I think its biggest strength was is fantabulous casting. Between SNW, Hell on Wheels, and Inhumans*, I have really come to appreciate Anson Mount lately.
OO is a long time home for Anson Mount fans. We've all sung his praises for years. Hell on Wheels was the first time I ever saw him act and he made that show must see tv for me for years.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yeah, Anson Mount is an underrated actor. He's been great in everything I've seen him in and I'm happy to see him get more work. His casting as Pike was inspired.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:45 am Undetermined is such a unique first name.
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:40 am SNW absolutely benefited from nostalgia, but I think its biggest strength was is fantabulous casting. Between SNW, Hell on Wheels, and Inhumans*, I have really come to appreciate Anson Mount lately.
OO is a long time home for Anson Mount fans. We've all sung his praises for years. Hell on Wheels was the first time I ever saw him act and he made that show must see tv for me for years.
I have some face blindness, which tends to make me not notice when I see an actor in multiple roles (although I've become better than most at recognizing voices as a result...) War films (where everyone has the same clothes and hair) are very, very hard for me to follow. And since I can't remember faces well, I don't remember the names attached to them. It's only when I a voice sounds familiar and I look them up and find that I like them in multiple shows that I tend to remember their names. I absolutely loved him in Hell on Wheels and Strange New Worlds, but I had no idea they were the same actor until I watched Inhumans a few weeks ago and tried to figure out why he seemed so familiar.