Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:43 am ...and that's all she wrote for my Rallyman Dirt KS:
With all of our revenue streams basically cut off at this point and no way to negotiate or pay the sums of money that are being demanded of us, the response from our lawyers and bank was categoric. We now have no options left but to shut Holy Grail Games down, effective immediately.
Somehow copies made it to Amazon and various random retailers but all the North American backers have their copies sitting in the distribution warehouse because of non-payment. Some copies made it out into the UK, but the distributor is the same as North America so after a month of shipping, whatever copies remained are also locked down.

This one actually comes as a surprise. Was not expecting an established company to implode, but here we are. Sounds like they were doing what a few others got caught up in - the funding shell game - prior KS were helping fund the delivery and shipment of future unrelated products. When the pandemic hit and costs went up, they had no way to quickly absorb and adjust - their finances were all baked in.
Damn that really sucks! I'm going to hug my copy of Rallyman GT and the expansions tonight. I actually was thinking about buying a copy of Rallyman Dirt off of Amazon but I figured I didn't play GT enough. No regrets though.

I'm pretty happy with GMT's P500 program. Just pre-order a game that interests me and in a few years it will appear on my doorstep with no drama.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:51 pm I'm pretty happy with GMT's P500 program. Just pre-order a game that interests me and in a few years it will appear on my doorstep with no drama.
It's been 9 years since The Dambuster Raid has been in print. There has to be a better way.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:04 pm
$iljanus wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:51 pm I'm pretty happy with GMT's P500 program. Just pre-order a game that interests me and in a few years it will appear on my doorstep with no drama.
It's been 9 years since The Dambuster raid has been in print. There has to be a better way.
Yeah I know. But I don't think GMT is going to go tits up and they have good customer service. So there's that I guess.

I'm just happy I have my Skies Above Britain. I don't know how long I've been waiting for the last expansion to Space Empires 4X but I'm reassured it's coming.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:04 pm
It's been 9 years since The Dambuster Raid has been in print. There has to be a better way.
That's how I feel. They have to charge a shit load because their production costs are always super high due to their relatively small run sizes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:41 pm Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid, 2nd Printing - Status: Not there yet Orders To Date: 354
Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid, 2nd Printing - Status: Not there yet Orders To Date: 369
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:54 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:26 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:27 pm As I sit here waiting for my last boardgame kickstarter ever to fulfill. I see I have an email about a new Lords of Vegas kickstarter.

I finally played it for the first time at BGG.CON this month and now I am seriously considering securing a copy with all the upgrades, which would be... expensive. $170 for the game plus expansion and then $100 more for upgrades (skipping the $40 playmat). Then there is shipping...
Using late-2022 rates and assuming a 10% increase in shipping rates in 2023 over 2022, we think that Americana will cost about $25-30 to ship to continental USA addresses and shipping the new 6-player Lords of Vegas base set will cost about $30-40.
That... adds up.

Two days in and it is about two thirds of the way to the goal. I'm still thinking about it. I just had $400 in rewards points drop on my credit card so it would basically be free, right? Right? :geek:
...and kickstarter cancelled at 90% funded with 10 days to go. Apparently they got a lot of feedback about the prices and they are going to figure some stuff out and come back next year.
Kickstarter has been relaunched with better prices. I can't access the linked shipping cost doc from work so can't make a final call until I get home this evening. $120 for most everything, $200 if you want the poker chips, playmat and unified rulebook (all available individually at 55, 40 and 5 respectively). Cheaper, but still not cheap...

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm mentioning it because I've backed other Aventuria projects and I'm not sure if this is part of a trend for pricing in 2023 and beyond...

To just get the new stuff (~800+ cards), it's $155 before shipping. Closer to $185 if you want the two new characters as well. I'm guessing when it's all over, it'll be $200+ to get shipped then.

I think they're trying to turn Aventuria into something more like Arkham Horror LCG with lots of card upgrades and more of an RPG style branching path game play. I guess if you purchase all the new ARkham LCG stuff all at once it's quite expensive, but $155 for a card game is quite high.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

RE; Lords of Vegas
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:09 pm Image
Much lower than expected, but also estimates... still tempted, it's pretty different from everything else I play.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:33 pm I'm mentioning it because I've backed other Aventuria projects and I'm not sure if this is part of a trend for pricing in 2023 and beyond...

To just get the new stuff (~800+ cards), it's $155 before shipping. Closer to $185 if you want the two new characters as well. I'm guessing when it's all over, it'll be $200+ to get shipped then.

I think they're trying to turn Aventuria into something more like Arkham Horror LCG with lots of card upgrades and more of an RPG style branching path game play. I guess if you purchase all the new ARkham LCG stuff all at once it's quite expensive, but $155 for a card game is quite high.
Erotica usually is priced quite high....
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Received my Dungeons and Lasers Outdoor Gamefound materials - shipped like 3 months early and they included some freebies related to an upcoming RPG / miniatures Gamefound project they're getting ready to launch. Not only did it ship ahead of schedule, but somehow it left Poland on Monday and was in my hands yesterday afternoon. What shipping crisis?

Anyway, they have lots of stuff now on Amazon under their company name (Archon Studios) and if you're looking for random bits, miniatures or terrain I am a big fan. It's all great stuff.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm in for Townsfolk Tussle 2nd printing. I decided to pass on the expansion all-in. $100+ more for a couple of expansions for a game I don't even know I'll feel the need to play past the base game was just too rich for my blood.

Also Earth has started fulfillment, so I'm looking forward to getting that within the next couple of weeks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Best thing about a UK-based KS project is that it's already launched. :)

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:41 pm Atlantic Chase, 2nd Printing - Status: At The Printer
We're writing to let you know that game Atlantic Chase, 2nd Printing is one step closer to being completed and shipped out to you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:46 pm Kickstarter has been relaunched with better prices. I can't access the linked shipping cost doc from work so can't make a final call until I get home this evening. $120 for most everything, $200 if you want the poker chips, playmat and unified rulebook (all available individually at 55, 40 and 5 respectively). Cheaper, but still not cheap...

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:09 pm Image
Clock is ticking and I a still trying to decide on this one. It's a hoot, but not sure how much I want or how often I would get to play it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:29 pm or how often I would get to play it.
This unfortunately (or fortunately?) is my main factor for deciding to back a KS now. There are so many A+ games now being released it's coming down to time. When I factor in player requirements and space required for storage, the circle tightens.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Wait... people play the games they collect?

I've been pretty good. Both at not looking and at not being swayed. But Awaken Realms is making a tabletop STALKER game. I don't think I'll be able to resist. And being STALKER, it's gonna have a true solo mode.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
RMC

Post by RMC »

My second running of Dark Tower with expansion, is slated for July. But I am almost out of the Kickstarter buying lately. The shipping costs are way out of line for most of the games, and hearing about so many failures get's me worried for the large cost kickstarters.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:47 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:29 pm or how often I would get to play it.
This unfortunately (or fortunately?) is my main factor for deciding to back a KS now. There are so many A+ games now being released it's coming down to time. When I factor in player requirements and space required for storage, the circle tightens.
I see it as fortunate. It helps me say no to a lot more. I did end up backing Lords of Vegas asI think it's a really easy game to start for a new player. There isn't a whole lot you need to understand to have fun.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

AEG (Alderac Entertainment Group) just charged my credit card again this afternoon for the Dead Reckoning expansion kickstarter. Only to turn around and send an email just now that they erroneously charged everyone.

They're trying to roll it back now, but that's....disconcerting.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:30 pm AEG (Alderac Entertainment Group) just charged my credit card again this afternoon for the Dead Reckoning expansion kickstarter. Only to turn around and send an email just now that they erroneously charged everyone.

They're trying to roll it back now, but that's....disconcerting.
Same boat. It was only for like 60 bucks, but if people have their bank account attached to it... Wow...
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Actually, in reading through the comments, it may not be double billing. Folks are saying the charge was for shipping that was due later, or any add ons not already paid for. If that’s true, I’d :rather they not roll it back and just charge me now. Who knows what shipping will be later. :(
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Well for a bit of good news, Earth is arriving Saturday. That was a really well run Kickstarter. Plenty of updates, backer polls to help shape the appearance of various components and symbols, and only a slight delay in their original forecast.

So shout out to Inside Up Games!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:53 am Well for a bit of good news, Earth is arriving Saturday.
I'm already there. It's overrated. It's multiplayer only, cheating is rampant, and there are a lot of trolls.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:17 am
YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:53 am Well for a bit of good news, Earth is arriving Saturday.
I'm already there. It's overrated. It's multiplayer only, cheating is rampant, and there are a lot of trolls.
:dance:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:17 am
You CAN solo play, but other players tend to force their way into your game. Also, there seems to be a WICKED leader effect, where some people start with way more points and just continue to stay in the lead. :horse:

In more serious news, my copy of Masters of the Universe: Clash for Eternia shipped, finally. It is coming in two boxes. I hope it reaches me before I am away for a few days.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm dragging this over here to avoid derailing the Elder Scrolls thread. Quoting for context.
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:05 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:43 am I've got to start being realistic about what I'm actually going to have time to play.
If you figure it out, could you write a strategy guide?
YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:25 pm I'm not as bad as many, but I still admit I have a problem. My gaming group, for example, keeps a spreadsheet of games "we" own in terms of games that one of the group owns that we actually want to play at some point. I believe we're in a 30 game backlog at the moment, and just started Frosthaven which will take us a minimum 2 years to get through. And various members of the group still have Kickstarters coming in. It's just insanity.
I have actually done better recently. I'm backing Maladum, but that's mostly because of the terrain. I haven't FOMO-backed an RPG project in years with the exception of the most recent Torg: Eternity book, and that's only because I have the entire set minus that one (and still hope to play it again if I ever get a group.) I have a couple of other smaller (cheaper) games that are solo or have integrated solo in there, including the updated + solo rules for Gotham City Chronicles, which I love but never get to play because of the group requirements. I have generally backed off lately, though. COVID created a speed bump with both delays and shipping prices that kept me from backing for a while, and it helped break the pattern. The fact that so many campaigns are going to "We'll charge you shipping in a year or two, so be ready for a surprise expense that may or may not be substantial" has kept me from getting back in too deeply.

In fact, most of what I've backed has been content for games that are already part of my collection.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've posted here before that I am more or less done with Kickstarter unless extreme circumstances convince, which basically consists of a game I KNOW I can get played in our after work game group that people will be interested in playing more than once. I am no longer counting on anyone in my family to get games played as that is just not happening much and pretty much just the same games I already have (Space Base, Splendor Marvel and Cascadia).

Lords of Vegas will be my first test of this theory.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I thought I was done until Townsfolk Tussle. I backed that one only because the first print was impossible to find on the aftermarket unless you were willing to pay through the nose. They never released to retail (and as far as I know the second print won't hit retail either), so it was my only chance to get it.

I've talked myself out of at least 3 since then, so my record this year is still pretty good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For the miniature painters out there, there is a miniature painting light up on Kickstarter. I know the company (Redgrass) and have backed their stuff before. The reviews I've read of the lamp really do suggest that it's the best lamp on the market for painters. The light color, brightness, CRI, etc, are supposedly perfect. It is not, however, cheap.

I already have a really good lamp, so I can't afford to spend a bunch on a perfect lamp, but if someone out there is serious about painting and is using a generic desk lamp, or jsut really wants to improve their setup, this is possibly a great opportunity.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:02 pm I thought I was done until Townsfolk Tussle. I backed that one only because the first print was impossible to find on the aftermarket unless you were willing to pay through the nose. They never released to retail (and as far as I know the second print won't hit retail either), so it was my only chance to get it.
The moment you use an outhouse to take out the bad guys, you'll understand why it was necessary.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dear Kickstarter creators:

You're welcome to notify me when you launch a new project by posting an update to an old one, especially if it's related.

But kindly stop posting weekly (or more) reminders about it for the entire duration of the campaign, especially if I've backed three or four of your projects in the past, resulting in a flood of notifications/emails.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I turn off notifications for all delivered projects. Yeah you might miss out on something, but generally its better for my wallet. There is a global "new projects from creators you've backed" option, if you want a one time per project notification. I have that off as well because bye bye kickstarter.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

MIddara pledge manager opened back up yesterday so folks could pay shipping, add on stuff, etc..

Last night the shipping charge for a 1.2 upgrade pack (a box of cards) and the KS2 promo box (about a dozen minis...maybe less) was around 20 bucks. I couldn't finish the pledge as the site was having issues though.

Got a reminder just now to finish my pledge for shipping only to see my shipping cost was 213 dollars. Someone else on their comments page reported over 300 dollars for a similar shipment to Canada.

Either they've got a bugged system right now, or they're going to just keep my extras and I'll avoid them like the plague in the future.

edit: oof, the comments on their kickstarter page are brutal right now. It doesn't help that people are telling them that they're seeing shipping costs 5 times more than the Marvel CMON kickstarter all in, and they're essentially replying "you must live far away".

One person is saying they got a shipping cost of 9,999 dollars.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yowch. Fortunately I backed out of ordering any Wave 2 stuff and stopped with Act 1. That's insane.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you backed just the 1st act game core through this kickstarter, you're going to get hit if you want the stretch rewards. That's in wave 2. It's the KS2 promo and the upgraded token kit. Those two were stretch rewards.

:lol: Someone just noted that they added a 20 dollar add on to their pledge and shipping went from 300 dollars to 100 dollars.

Yeah...something's borked.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ah OK, I had totally forgot about the stretch rewards it had been so long. Fortunately I only got hit for $7. I can handle that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That makes zero sense and makes me even more sure there’s a glitch somewhere. I have the same pledge as you with the addition of a box of cards weighing less than 2 lbs (the 1.2 upgrade kit), and my shipping is 213 dollars.

Someone else just said they went to their company store and added all the stuff from their pledge as preorders from them at retail, and the price went from 300 dollars to 38 dollars.
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Elder Scrolls: Betrayal of the Second Era is entering its last 20 or so hours on Gamefound. I just backed the core game and upgraded health chips. $230 US. This will be my first Chip Theory Games purchase. Now I only have to wait 18 months. :doh: :cry:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:36 pm If you backed just the 1st act game core through this kickstarter, you're going to get hit if you want the stretch rewards. That's in wave 2. It's the KS2 promo and the upgraded token kit. Those two were stretch rewards.

:lol: Someone just noted that they added a 20 dollar add on to their pledge and shipping went from 300 dollars to 100 dollars.

Yeah...something's borked.
Well, shit. I had a $54 charge for shipping for my remaining two acts and the upgrade pack. I thought it was high, but - you know - Marvel Zombies and these are heavy games. Now I don't know if this was correct or if I was overcharged. :grund: