the inevitable repeal of the abolishment of [seasonal time shifting]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: the inevitable repeal of the abolishment of [seasonal time shifting]

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:03 pm I still have at least one more clock to set. Maybe more.
Me too. My car. I won't set it until the next time I drive, probably Friday, maybe tonight. Maybe not.
Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:32 pm As with so many questions, Americans divide more-or-less 50/50 on preferring DST or Standard Time (aka Daylight Wasting Time). But a large majority want to stop the shifting. So it won't happen.

Some New England states have floated the idea of joining the Atlantic time zone (an hour earlier). I can see that gaining traction if DWT ever becomes standard.
When I was working, I wanted to sleep in and needed that extra morning daylight to get me out of bed. Now that I'm not working, earlier daylight is just fine. I get up and start my day in the dark every morning now that I don't have the stress and exhaustion of the work rolling off me concurrent with the dread of work rolling over me. I have no money on my horse anymore, though. So whichever.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:44 pm I thought Congress had squashed DST, but it seems only the Senate approved, the house did not.
The Senate actually passed a bill to make DST permanent, not squashed. I am vehemently against this. I walk in the mornings and it would be very dark at the time I walk if they do this in 3 of the 4 seasons. Not to mention kids would be waiting for the bus in pitch darkness a lot in the fall/winter (as opposed to the last few weeks of DST). The House hasn't taken action on this bill and hopefully they won't.

This same thing was tried in the early 70's (It was in response to an energy crisis then.) and Americans HATED it. So, I'm not sure why they think this would be more popular now. Yes the early 70's were a long time ago, but it's not like the Earth's roation/revolution has changed in signficant ways since then. I would probably (slightly) prefer Standard Time being pemanent but also think there are downsides to that. It's nice that it stays lighter longer in the summer.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's the problem with the whole idea. There is going to be a large portion of the population that hates the idea of dark morning vs light morning, and vice versa. Since it's impossible to please everyone, it's easier to just spread the unhappiness out over the entire year. :D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Most of our clocks auto-update. Realized last night that I need to manually update the thermostats though.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:05 am That's the problem with the whole idea. There is going to be a large portion of the population that hates the idea of dark morning vs light morning, and vice versa. Since it's impossible to please everyone, it's easier to just spread the unhappiness out over the entire year. :D
The problem is that we're a large country, and there isn't one schedule that works for 100% of a time zone. Just pick one and let the places who find themselves in the dark adjust their schedules by an hour. "Hey, kids - school starts at 8 instead of 7 now, and my work hours are changing, too." Yeah, it's a big one-time adjustment, but right now we're making adjustments twice a year.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
disarm

Post by disarm »

I grew up in Indiana, on the western edge of a Eastern time zone. I now live in Connecticut, on the far east side of the same time zone. During my time in Indiana, I lived in parts of the stay that observed DST and parts that didn't. If you haven't experienced the difference that can make, then it's really hard to understand why the abolishment of time changes is such a big deal.

Growing up in Indiana was great because the sun would stay up until 9:00 during the summer, and it's never dark before 5:30-6:00 in the winter. The northeast is a completely different story, where people who work a full day job never get to see the sun after work for most of the winter. From the beginning of November through the end of January, the sun is gone and it's dark by 4:30. I spend most of the winter leaving home before the sun comes up, working in a building with no windows all day, then stepping outside into darkness when it's time to go home. My kids spend part of the year waiting for a school bus when it's mostly dark already, so making that a lot more frequent by having permanent DST wouldn't be a big deal...and totally worth it to have usable daylight in the late afternoon/evening when many of us actually have the time to do anything.

Unfortunately, I can also see why people on the western edge of the time zone don't like permanent DST. With time zones that span more than 1000 miles east-west, a distance that means a two hour difference in when the sun rises and sets, there's no way to make everyone happy. I would love to see CT permanently stay ahead an hour though.

naednek

Post by naednek »

From Popehat

Enlarge Image
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

disarm wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:39 am I grew up in Indiana, on the western edge of a Eastern time zone. I now live in Connecticut, on the far east side of the same time zone. During my time in Indiana, I lived in parts of the stay that observed DST and parts that didn't. If you haven't experienced the difference that can make, then it's really hard to understand why the abolishment of time changes is such a big deal.
I grew up in Terre Haute, which was a part of the state that did not observe DST (mostly due to its proximity to Illinois.) In practice, it was like switching back and forth from EST to CST every now and then. The only impact DST had on me at that age was that for half of every year, the prime-time shows would start at 7 instead of 8. I honestly thought that it was something that the television stations were doing.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Why not instead of shifting the clock, you guys just shift the time.

So if it is too dark to go to school at 7:30 AM, change the school to 8:30 AM. Same with office hours.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Can you imagine business' on each coast with different open and closing times trying to communicate with each other especially with the stock market being located in New York.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They already do that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Won’t someone think of the trading computers?!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:57 pm Can you imagine business' on each coast with different open and closing times trying to communicate with each other especially with the stock market being located in New York.
Why do you think Dodger fans always leave the game after the 7th inning? They have to be in the office at 6 am the next day.

Californicators were either of two sorts -- they would be in the office when I was in the office (so absurdly early their time), or you couldn't expect to hear a thing from them until noon. They also got volunteered to handle meetings with Asia because 9 pm their time is better than midnight my time (or 1 am ET).
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

when i started this thread some years ago, i was a big proponent of switching to permanent daylight time. now after listening to the cons of permanent switching to either daylight or standard time...... i don't see a big problem with just keeping things the way they are. ha
Not to mention kids would be waiting for the bus in pitch darkness
i _do_ think it's funny that this always tends to be in the top three reasons of why we should nevaaaar switch to permanent savings time. why is this so direly important?
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:25 pm
Not to mention kids would be waiting for the bus in pitch darkness
i _do_ think it's funny that this always tends to be in the top three reasons of why we should nevaaaar switch to permanent savings time. why is this so direly important?
It's not - just ask the kids who already do it at the other end of the time zone.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or kids who go to schools that start an hour earlier.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

And has been mentioned before, if this is such a problem shift school an hour later. Kids get the sleep they need and get to the bus when it's light.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My recollection is that high school started in Vermont at around 7am, but we were done at 3:15pm. But in Texas, high school didn't start until around 9pm, and we got out around 4:30pm

School start and stop times seem to vary widely. So it seems like it should be easy enough to shift times without breaking anything.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

California and Indiana were both 8. Nevada was 7. I waited at a lot of bus stops in the dark.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My HS in Michigan was 7:15 to 14:15. We had six 50 minute periods with 10 minutes between periods and a split 50 minute lunch for 4th hour. Half the students have first lunch and half had second. Our campus was nearly a square mile cut in half, so the 10 minutes between classes could really suck if you had to go third floor from the far end of one building to the second floor of the farthest side of the farthest building.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gbasden wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:09 pm And has been mentioned before, if this is such a problem shift school an hour later. Kids get the sleep they need and get to the bus when it's light.
ah yes, i remember the motivation now - schools need to start early to match parental workhours, so schools can fulfill their core function: acting as daytime babysitters
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Our kids, grammar school, start at 8:35 and go to 3:35. High school goes from 7:30 - 2:30 or thereabouts. Not sure what middle school does. Parent's work schedule doesn't seem to be an issue, bus scheduling, however -- you don't need as many if the kids start in shifts.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://www.king5.com/article/news/poli ... 300400414b

WA now looking to switch to permanent PST (instead of PDT) to bypass congress.

prediction: if this passes, people will be clamoring to return to time-shifting after a year
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the super-surprising update:
So, Washington state lawmakers took a different approach to ditch the switch this year with a bill to make Pacific Standard Time permanent in Washington, like in Hawaii and Arizona.

But the bill, Senate Bill 5795, sponsored by Sen. Mike Padden, R-Spokane Valley, and 12 other senators from both sides of the aisle, stalled in committee during this year’s packed 60-day legislative session, which ends Thursday.

Had it passed, Washington would have fallen back in November, and then after that, remained in standard time permanently — without Congress’ approval.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ime-in-wa/

i am guessing some lawmakers do not want the political fallout when a large number of people find out they actually do not like the change when it goes into effect...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wouldn't want to stay on the fall back time..i want to stay on the one coming up..the spring forward. I prefer a dark morning for sleeping and a longer day of sun for fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Half of us want permanent DST and half want standard time, but nearly everyone wants to stop shifting. As someone with SAD I strongly prefer DST. My overall affect will improve considerably in a week or two. But even I would accept the worse outcome if we could just stop the madness.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I for one will not be participating in time change this year. :coffee:

I can relate regarding hardcore SAD. :( November-February have felt like lost months for years now.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:58 pm I wouldn't want to stay on the fall back time..i want to stay on the one coming up..the spring forward.
Oh, the irony
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:44 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:58 pm I wouldn't want to stay on the fall back time..i want to stay on the one coming up..the spring forward.
Oh, the irony
:lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can relate regarding hardcore SAD. :( November-February have felt like lost months for years now.
SAD sucks. When iwas younger i thought that was so silly and fake. but now I know. i think its because of SAD and depression I stayed in bed all day and night for days and days the other week.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Seven clocks -- including my wristwatch, coffee maker, and thermostat -- are now on summer time. Bring on the spring.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish everything would reset on its own like my phone, tablet, and pc. I still have to set my stove, microwave, wall clock, bedside clock, and wristwatch for this.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Earlier tonight I reset all the clocks. Even that annoying to set wristwatch.

Just now, two hours later, I realized I set them BACK an hour instead of UP an hour. So now I was 2 hours behind. Im sitting here using the PC like its ealy 3am when its now nearly 5am lol. Had to do it all again .

I have never done that before. This is what old or older age is like.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Oregon gets it. 5 yers ago there was a bill to make daylight savings permanent. But that failed, it requires some federal involvement.

So now, just recently passed, there is a new bill to make standard time permanent.

I read through a bunch of the stuff, so let me sum it up for you.

Dayight time is better!

No, standard time is better!

look, we are never going to agree on which is better, but we CAN all agree that everybody hates changing their clocks.

true true true!

we already tried making daylight time permanent, and that failed, so lets try making standard time permanent

*alsowashingtonandcaliforniahavetodoitalso*

gwaa! not this again!
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:58 pm I wouldn't want to stay on the fall back time..i want to stay on the one coming up..the spring forward. I prefer a dark morning for sleeping and a longer day of sun for fun.
I agree 100%. Have always been against the idea of getting rid of seasonal time change, but in the last year or so I've come around and the idea seems to be pretty popular with the masses where I live.