Winter 2022-23 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Winter 2022-23 is coming

Post by Skinypupy »

Woke up to another inch of snow this morning. On top of the inch or so we got yesterday. I've missed more running days in the past month due to snow than I missed in the entire previous 2 years combined. It's been rather crazy.

No complaints though, we desperately need it. Read last week that this winter's storms have moved Utah from having 90% of the state in "extreme" drought conditions to only around 45% of the state. That's great news.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It's *pant*pant* 80f out there! Winter has a week to go. *pant*..I wonder how hot *pant* summer will be this year?? *pant*pant*

My neighbor mowed....MOWED..in winter.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

73 up here in the cloud.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We've been dry since the start of the new year, but last night what had been predicted to be just a chance of a slight amount of rain turned into a thirty minute deluge. We can definitely use the rain!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Snowing again here. Winter has not yet left. Bah.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

82f today. Got the last bush cut down to size. Going to rain all week now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A foot of snow mostly melted by late afternoon yesterday when a new layer of 3/4" of snow came in last night. I don't want to wear winter boots to walk this morning but I don't see how I can avoid snow land mines of much 2" deep sidewalk puddles unless I do wear those boots.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Pogo stick.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Flood season in California? Already?
WATSONVILLE, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California agricultural community famous for its strawberry crop was forced to evacuate early Saturday after the Pajaro River’s levee was breached by flooding from a new atmospheric river that pummeled the state.

Across the Central Coast’s Monterey County, more than 8,500 people were under evacuation orders and warnings Saturday, including roughly 1,700 residents — many of them Latino farmworkers — from the unincorporated community of Pajaro.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Much ado is being made over a nor'easter coming up the coast (as they do) Monday night into Wednesday morning. We've had so little snow this year that I haven't even used my shovel, much less my snowblower. It's been plugged in and gassed up since November, but the latest forecast casts doubt on whether I'll need it. I would kind of like to drain the gas tank but we're likely to get mostly rain here.

That same forecast says the Berkshires can expect 6-12", and we're driving there on Thursday. It's a tossup whether I'll be able to drive my Miata or have to take Wife's Fit. Unlike my previous Miata, this one doesn't have snow tires. But the Fit is 13 years old and not our first choice for distance drives.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:12 am Much ado is being made over a nor'easter coming up the coast (as they do) Monday night into Wednesday morning. We've had so little snow this year that I haven't even used my shovel, much less my snowblower. It's been plugged in and gassed up since November, but the latest forecast casts doubt on whether I'll need it. I would kind of like to drain the gas tank but we're likely to get mostly rain here.

That same forecast says the Berkshires can expect 6-12", and we're driving there on Thursday. It's a tossup whether I'll be able to drive my Miata or have to take Wife's Fit. Unlike my previous Miata, this one doesn't have snow tires. But the Fit is 13 years old and not our first choice for distance drives.
Would the snowblower fit in the back of the Miata? (two birds)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

More snow this week. March came in like a lamb and is proceeding to be Norman Bates.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We're getting what will probably be our last cold front blasting through. A high of 86 today, a high of 61 tomorrow :roll:. But by mid next week it will be back in the seventies, then the upper eighties again. And all the meanwhile the beaches are packed with spring breakers.

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

We had a weird combo where the temp was cold but the yard was the greenest it's been in years due to all the rain.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rained all day yesterday....and now the low temps are going to be below freezing..I mean it was just 82 the other day..geez.. PICK ONE.

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

50 yesterday. Snow today. 50 tomorrow.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lucky you. Snow today (bone-chilling cold and wind). Maybe 40 tomorrow. But 60 sometime next week!
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:40 am Flood season in Colorado? Already?
WATSONVILLE, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California agricultural community famous for its strawberry crop was forced to evacuate early Saturday after the Pajaro River’s levee was breached by flooding from a new atmospheric river that pummeled the state.

Across the Central Coast’s Monterey County, more than 8,500 people were under evacuation orders and warnings Saturday, including roughly 1,700 residents — many of them Latino farmworkers — from the unincorporated community of Pajaro.
We were supposed to be in Monterey for a funeral that day. I would have driven very close to that area but we canceled when we heard our area was expecting 3”of rain.

The Fresno area is approaching 17” for the season, the average annual rainfall is 11”.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The crazy thing is, while we didn't get a storm dumped on us, (it all went either north or south of us) due to our location inside a meteor impact crater shielding us from the worst, we get everything else, ie the cold humid bitter cold and wind. Would be actually warmer with some snow to go along with it, but we didn't get all that much of it this winter. And given that we're surrounded by lakes, we often get the lake effect without the snow, if you can imagine.

Spring is funny for me in the sense that our Spring weather doesn't really start for us until at least mid-april, sometimes as late as May. My Dad and I were on a road trip in April with our trailer in 2013, and we had to dig our trailer out of the snow in our driveway before we could even hitch up and leave. Then I remember being in the South Dakota badlands and calling my Mom and bragging that I was in short sleeves, because there was still lots of snow on the ground where we live.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Meanwhile, here in Florida, it's almost summer:

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You're going to hate summer when it actually gets here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:57 am Meanwhile, here in Florida, it's almost summer:
Yeah, but it's also very Florida.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:30 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:57 am Meanwhile, here in Florida, it's almost summer:
Yeah, but it's also very Florida.
True. We've actually had fewer seventy-ish degree days than normal this year, jumping right into the eighties back in February, or at least that's my impression. These past few days were the first time since the beginning of February that the pool was too cool to comfortably enjoy. And according to the US Drought Monitor we are in a moderate drought across Central Florida.

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife is off this weekend. Earlier in the week, she was asking if we could go hiking, at the time, Saturday seemed to be the best of the two weekend days with a forecast high near 60.

Now forecast is for 2-4" of slush. :x
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sunny last two days. Get strong severe storms during the night tonight while asleep. So a tree may come down and kill us in our sleep me and the dog. Tomorrow sunny again....in case I need burying.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Woke up to snow in Portland metro area again this morning. It’s been a crappy winter. Colder, rainier, more snow than usual. But then again, it kind of feels like that every year here November through May (or June).

On the positive side, we’re finally getting away for Spring Break. The stars aligned and all our schedules synced up, so we’re departing for a 7 day cruise to Mexico later this afternoon. Can’t wait to get some sun and warmer weather. 50/50 I turn to dust, but I don’t give a shit at this point!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not really winter, but everyone on the middle-to-eastern portion of the country - be safe. This is going to be a bad one.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

80 here today.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And... tornado. Close enough to hear. We're in the neighbor's basement.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:30 pm And... tornado. Close enough to hear. We're in the neighbor's basement.
Sheesh! Probably too dark to get a video anyway :wink:

j/k, stay safe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This week is Spring Break. Of the 5 days the kids were out of school, it snowed for 4 of them.

We’ve had a record amount of snow this winter, with the ski resorts notching over 800”. And that was before what they got this week. The flooding later this spring could be really bad.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Still here. Warnings are over. It seems to have missed us by about five blocks. It apparently took out a restaurant/bar, a charity store, the VFW, and an unknown number of houses.

We've had wave after wave of emergency vehicles, meaning that they are coming from out of town. I also saw multiple backhoes going by (not good.) There has been bumper to bumper traffic in the pitch black with no stoplights, likely curious onlookers heading over to get in the way.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was listening to the county emergency radio feed. There was apparently some drama near the liquor store.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah. It's name, according to the sign, is, "COLD BEER."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lots of heavy equipment going by. Bulldozers, backhoes.

Michelle works at the hospital in Robinson, Illinois. They got hit hard there, too. They have doctors and nurses from multiple hospitals coming in to help.

Ugly night.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Tornadoes scare the bejezus out of me. I'm glad they're very rare here. And also glad that you didn't get transported to Oz, even if that would've livened things up for the rest of us.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:36 am I was listening to the county emergency radio feed. There was apparently some drama near the liquor store.
Apparently the liquor store was ground zero.

Multiple fatalities. Blocks leveled.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Tornado just passed north of my house. Hearing multiple emergency vehicles and reading online, houses severely damaged and people trapped. I have a large tree across road blocking me in, so I'm stuck for now. I'll have to get the chainsaw out at daylight

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter