The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Post by El Guapo »

My wife and I recently went through the first season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Anyone else watching this? I searched and didn't see any signs of a thread. It's really good - it's by the Gilmore Girls creator. It's set in 1958 New York, and focuses on character (Midge Maisel), kind of loosely inspired by Joan Rivers - a housewife (Midge Maisel) who kind of falls into becoming a stand-up comedian.

Anyway, very well done and funny - highly recommended.
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Re: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Post by McNutt »

This has got to be the second golden age of television. I've never had more shows that I want to watch than now. I just need to find the time.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holy cow. I'd not heard of this, but the milieu (late 1950's Jewish upper-middle NYC) is straight-up perfect for several people I know, some of whom were there.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oh, it's on Amazon Prime video, by the way.

Also it's nice to have Tony Shalhoub back in my life - he play's Midge's father. I like him quite a bit.
Black Lives Matter.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Added to the endless que of shows I'll never get to watch.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

It's free to watch this weekend. I watched it all in the last couple of days.

Although you can see a bit of Gilmore Girls in it, it's it's own show, and is solid and funny.
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

Really liked this show.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I just finished Turn and was wondering what was next. I think this is it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

We finished it the other night. It was great. If you like the writing style of this, watch Gilmore Girls. It's obviously less New York Jewish, because I don't think it's possible to be more New York Jewish, but really good.

I want another season of Maisel right now.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Thanks for the recommendation. I am 2 episodes in and have been pleasantly surprised.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Really great show! Second season will happen too!
Brought home some Golden Globes too!
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” ended up winning two awards at the 75th annual Golden Globe Awards: one for Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy and the other for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series, Musical or Comedy for star Rachel Brosnahan.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Binging this over the last few days. Expect to be done tonight at some point. Really enjoyable. The neuroticism, the pacing, the sets, everything feels right. When she's bombing, my that is uncomfortable to watch.

Big recommendation. You'll know by the end of episode two if it's for sure.

You can really see the Gilmore Girls pedigree.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Mrs. Kub and I finished this over the weekend - fantastic! She was also happy to have a show not quite as violent as many high-profile (to me?) Netflix/Amazon shows (she watched a couple of Altered Carbon episodes with me recently... this is much more PG than Altered Carbon's R+).

Really enjoyed how witty this show is - well-written, well-acted, and beautifully done.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I binge-watched this too, over the last few weeks. Was pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to another season.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I binge watched the second season this week. Still a great show.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Loved the first season. Thought the first episode of the second was utter crap. Hopefully it will get better, but it jumped quickly down our watch queue.
wire

Post by wire »

We just started season 2 and finished episode 2 this evening. The first episode was meh but episode 2 was back to season 1 form.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Watched season 2 the last few days and really enjoyed it. Tony Shalhoub is a national treasure.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Binged it over the last few days. Such a treat of a show.

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Started it this evening. Thought episode 1 was ok. Halfway through ep. 2. My interest wanes sometimes, with some characters/plots, but overall I'm still enjoying it.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was going to look up if that was an actual occurrence. Thanks for the link!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We watched both seasons over the holidays. Such a great show...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Was sad to finish this season since now we have to wait for the next one. I'm really looking forward to seeing Abe unleashed...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

hentzau wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:18 am I was going to look up if that was an actual occurrence. Thanks for the link!
I ran across that too a few weeks ago. It's fantastic how closely they kept to the original segment (with some abridging).
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Just started this with the Mrs. Watched the first 2 episodes of season 1. So far so good.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My wife and I watched both seasons over the holidays and we both loved it. More impressively, her parents loved it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Brian Tarantina, an actor who recently played the role of Jackie in Amazon's "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" series, has died in New York at age 60, his manager told CNN on Saturday.

Tarantina was found in his midtown Manhattan apartment after someone called 911 to say he was unconscious, and medics pronounced him dead at the scene, the New York Police Department said.
Tarantina had been "quite ill recently" and was recuperating at home, said his manager, Laurie Smith.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Just finished binge-watching season 3. Absolutely phenomenal, although some of the hijinks (mainly from Midge's and Joel's parents) are a bit on the caricature side.

And now gotta wait a year for season 4...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gilraen wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:28 pm And now gotta wait a year for season 4...
Speaking of season 4, we finished it up last night. Good, but not great. I really wish we could get more faster.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

Aw, man… that was the end of season 4? Even though it isn't as strong as the first season, I couldn’t wait for late Thursday night when they dropped two episodes.

I want a spin-off with Abe and Moishe.

There are some brilliantly long tracking shots and back and forth dialogue that I so thoroughly enjoy with that show. I look forward to season 5.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The beginning of season 4 was kinda meh but I warmed up to it. I especially liked how the burlesque show went from uninspired tawdry crap to something approaching a Bob Fosse production.

Also the actor playing Lenny Bruce completely stole the final episode and the last few minutes with him could definitely be his Emmy reel.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

telcta wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:23 pm I want a spin-off with Abe and Moishe.
I just started watching this...approaching the end of S1 I think, and totally agree with the above. Those two are AMAZING (with a slight nod IMO to Tony Shalhoub...has that man EVER done anything that's not great? Jesus).

They are lucky the lead actress in this is so amazing herself, and dynamic, almost mesmerizing, else the two fathers could easily overshadow.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm not quite done with S4 yet, and it's not as sharp as earlier seasons but I'm still enjoying it well enough. I had thought this was supposed to be the last season so I'm pleased to learn otherwise.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:08 pm Also the actor playing Lenny Bruce completely stole the final episode and the last few minutes with him could definitely be his Emmy reel.
Luke Kirby is sublime. He absolutely deserves another Emmy for this role.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gilraen wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:02 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:08 pm Also the actor playing Lenny Bruce completely stole the final episode and the last few minutes with him could definitely be his Emmy reel.
Luke Kirby is sublime. He absolutely deserves another Emmy for this role.
He really is great. I finished up the season last night, and really enjoyed it. Given Lenny Bruce's continued prominence in the show I did some googling on him and Joan Rivers, and turns out that he really was instrumental in her career.
During the interview, host Ron Bennington took a dive into Rivers’ past to find about what it was like coming up with the likes of George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, Dick Cavett, and Lily Tomlin. A murderers row of legendary comedians all starting their careers around the same time. Rivers recalled stories about how they’d all be waiting in line for their turn for stage time at The Bitter End in NYC. Could you imagine sitting at one of those shows?

When asked if there was a comedian that changed her life, without hesitation Rivers responded that it was Lenny Bruce.
Lenny Bruce! Nothing to discuss, nothing to discuss. I was lucky enough—we were at The Bitter End holding the numbers—he was across the street at a place called Café Wha getting busted. And we were able to run across and see him. Can’t touch him! Nobody still can touch him. And you wonder… if he was alive—what he’d be talking about now. Told the truth! I know this sounds stupid. And that’s what I try to do—told the truth. And also sexy as hell. Such a — oh, ho ho, you have no idea! The women were mad about him.

And the men loved him because he was a man’s man, and told the truth. And would go around…he knew. you know, like all this stuff now. And I do it in my act. He would say, yeah, you’re a nigger, you’re a wop, you’re a kike, you’re a frog, you’re a chink and…everybody’s something so stop it. And he went ‘yeah’, and then he would do the act. It was amazing. It was amazing.
Rivers also added that Bruce personally reached out to and gave her support to know she was on the right track.
He did something that was so nice for young people. I was at The Bitter End doing my own act, and bombing. And he sent me a note, “you’re right, they’re wrong.” I held it in my bra! And went on and I ended up on Carson, blah blah blah. And I’m sitting with George Carlin one night years later. We’re both okay now. And I said to George, “you know what kept me going? Lenny Bruce came over and saw me and sent me a note “you’re right they’re wrong.” He said, “he sent me the same note.” So I think he sent it to every comedian around. How sweet in a way. He would see a comedian, he would say “you’re right they’re wrong, — Lenny Bruce.”
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Tomorrow night "Julia", an 8-part series about Julia Child, starts on HBO Max. It's from the same producer as Mrs Maisel and, according to a short preview I read this morning, has the same sensibility.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not even sure what season I am in currently (late 2 at least, if not 3).

Continue to be blow away by the acting and the writing. I haven't laughed out loud like this in a long time. Not rolling on the floor laughing, but just soooo many hilarious lines, delivered perfectly. The top scorers by far in this category are the parts played by Tony Shaloub and Alex Borstein. My GOD are they funny. I knew Shalhoub was from previous work I've seen, but damn. As good as the main actress is, and yes, she's funny, I'm not sure I've once laughed out loud at something she said or did like I do with those two I mentioned. Not sure if that's the writing or the actors though.

What a freaking fantastic show...I will be sad when it's over. Unless it goes downhill from where I am, I think the 89% RT seems a bit low personally.

The quality of that massive cast runs DEEP.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Season 5 drops April 14th!
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 5 release date

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 5 gets underway on Friday, April 14, with a three episode premiere. After that, new episodes release weekly in what Prime Video is calling a "seven-week series send-off."
I only read enough to see the date, there are probably spoilers in the article and trailer if you're like me...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.