Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Kraken »

I recently started watching Torchwood. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's basically Warehouse 13 in the Dr Whoniverse, with Captain Jack Harkness standing in for the Doctor. Somehow I never got around to seeing it before. Pretty good so far, but not great yet.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Children of Earth, the third season, is where it gets amazingly good.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:21 pm Children of Earth, the third season, is where it gets amazingly good.
+1

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hulu has a British series called Extraordinary that is friggin’ hilarious. I watched an episode as I was dozing off on the couch the other night and ended up bingeing a few episodes.

Set in a world where everyone develops super powers, it follows a young woman who still hasn’t gotten hers yet. The premise sounds awful, but they really mine it for some great comedy.
Spoiler:
For example, her roommate can channel the dead. So to cheer themselves up when they’re feeling down, she calls up Hitler and they taunt him by telling him what a great idea it was to invade Russia during the winter, amongst other things.

And don’t get me started on the character who has the ability to cause orgasms in anyone that touches him, I spit my drink up during a scene with him and a house pet.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:19 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:05 pm The Menu

Enlarge Image
Up on HBO Max. Watched it today and enjoyed it. Ralph Fiennes is excellent and really makes the film what it is.
I watched this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Funny, dark, and clever. The cast is very good overall, but Ralph Fiennes and Hong Chau really stand out.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:55 pm The Woman King

Enlarge Image
I watched this recently on a cross-country flight. Definitely not the best setting for a movie with this much action, but it still hit hard. Great acting across the board: the Oscar buzz for Viola Davis was justified (even if she didn't get nominated), and Lashana Lynch is super-charismatic.

Definitely a movie to check out if you like a good blend of action and drama.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:44 pm Y'all were right about "The Watcher," btw. The first few episodes set up a decent, Agatha Christie-style whodunnit where everybody's a suspect. But halfway through it veers into absurdity and goes completely off the rails by the end. Not worth watching.
Some coworkers swore I had to watch this, so I binged the first few episodes.

It’s awful. I mean awful with a capital A. The writing is horrid. They practically end each episode by having someone new walk up to the camera while someone strikes a harpsichord. I mean, it’s so ridiculously, over the top awful that I can’t stop watching. I laugh out loud at least once each episode.

The thing is, years ago I read the article that covered the story this is based on. It was creepy. But not 8 hours of televised creepy, so they throw in every single imaginable side story they can to pad it out. :lol:

It has to be a parody. That’s all I can assume now.
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:25 am I've also been using Movies Anywhere to swap movies with friends, using their new screen pass feature
Don't know if anyone else uses the screen pass feature of Movies Anywhere (or anyone else uses Movies Anywhere) but the screen pass feature (that allows you to watch a movie from a friends library and vice versa) is going away in a couple of months. It's a shame that it is going away (I got to watch close to 100 movies over the last three years that way)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, shit, that would have been useful to have remembered with this group.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm watching Minority Report for the first time in ages. It's so interesting to watch scifi that's fairly recent, but still far enough in the past that its vision of the future is... off. For example, Minority Report completely overlooks wireless data transfer, so every piece of digital information has to be transferred via a fancy thumb drive.

That aside, it holds up very well. I really like the washed-out visual look and the vision of precrime is really arresting (no pun intended). Samantha Morton has the hardest role as the precog, and she absolutely kills it.

And it's so Spielbergian. The camera movement is amazing, so many scenes are visceral and tense, and every once in a while there's a stupid crowd-pleaser moment, like when Tom Cruise drops his eyeballs and has to chase them down a hallway.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

AWS260 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:49 pm I'm watching Minority Report for the first time in ages. It's so interesting to watch scifi that's fairly recent, but still far enough in the past that its vision of the future is... off. For example, Minority Report completely overlooks wireless data transfer, so every piece of digital information has to be transferred via a fancy thumb drive.

That aside, it holds up very well. I really like the washed-out visual look and the vision of precrime is really arresting (no pun intended). Samantha Morton has the hardest role as the precog, and she absolutely kills it.

And it's so Spielbergian. The camera movement is amazing, so many scenes are visceral and tense, and every once in a while there's a stupid crowd-pleaser moment, like when Tom Cruise drops his eyeballs and has to chase them down a hallway.
Or when he eats the rotten sandwich and washes his mouth out with the rotten milk.

Or when the old lady slips him the tongue.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:13 pm Wife and I have watched the first couple of episodes of "Perry Mason" on HBO (well, we've been watching on HBOMax). Matthew Rhys is the titular iconic lawyer, except that this is set prior to him becoming a lawyer. He's more like a sleazy private investigator for John Lithgow's lawyer character. The central mystery is around the kidnapping and eventual murder of a young child. Just two episodes in and there are already lots of twists and turns. The cast is really strong and the production values are solid (probably helps that they can keep the fx to a minimum, unless it takes a really weird turn and they go off into outer space like Life of Brian or something). My wife isn't completely sold on the show yet because she's having a hard time seeing Perry Mason like this, but I've never seen the original show (or read any of the books), so none of those issues on my end.
Season 2 of Perry Mason is airing on HBO/HBO Max. We watched the first episode last night, and the most jarring thing about it was probably seeing Samwise Gamgee, looking much more puffy than in my avatar, as a cold-hearted business owner represented by Perry and Della. We got our murder that I assume is the focus of the season toward the end of the episode. I think the first 2 episodes are out so far.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Based on a random recommendation from a friend, I'm watching The Leftovers on HBOMax like it's my job. I haven't been this engrossed in a TV show in a long time and it's blowing my mind that it first aired 9 years ago and I have no recollection of it at all.

I guess there's some NSFW flashes in that trailer, so if that's an issue for you, consider yourself warned
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I tried to tell you all!!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I sat through the first 2 episodes, but it never really clicked with me. I'll have to give it another go someday.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can't say it's at nonstop level 10 Raised by Wolves weirdness (is anything?), but it's definitely hitting the same notes for me - where I'm constantly wondering just what the hell is going to happen next. Is this show supernatural? Is it sci-fi? I have absolutely no idea and I'm halfway through S2.

It really feels like a show that was influenced by the good parts of LOST, which makes sense given the co-creator is behind this show. There was a scene in S1 that had me up and staring at my ceiling at 3am last week - completely freaked me the hell out. That's some good TV, imho.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:39 pm I can't say it's at nonstop level 10 Raised by Wolves weirdness (is anything?), but it's definitely hitting the same notes for me - where I'm constantly wondering just what the hell is going to happen next. Is this show supernatural? Is it sci-fi? I have absolutely no idea and I'm halfway through S2.

It really feels like a show that was influenced by the good parts of LOST, which makes sense given the co-creator is behind this show. There was a scene in S1 that had me up and staring at my ceiling at 3am last week - completely freaked me the hell out. That's some good TV, imho.
This is one of the shows I still think about every so often. It's just that interesting and compelling for me.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Added "The Leftovers" to my list, which is long and varied. IDK if/when I'll get to it.

We just started the last season of Farscape last night. When that's done, I want to see "The Last of Us" (which I hope will be complete by then). After that, Babylon 5 is beckoning.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:39 pm I can't say it's at nonstop level 10 Raised by Wolves weirdness (is anything?),
So what you’re asking me to do is watch something that probably won’t include giant talking muskrats, sentient tupperware or the inclusion of weaponized vanilla pudding?

It’s like I don’t even know you, man.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Have no idea how I could have missed this.

In the Mouth of Madness
John Carpenter
Inspired by H. P. Lovecraft
Horror starring Sam Neil

People go insane from reading a horror novel.

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A classic. I remember seeing it in the theater years and years ago.
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Just finished Night Agent on Netflix. Awesome conspiracy/espionage thriller, felt like an updated season of 24. I loved it. And it was just renewed for a second season.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:26 pm Just finished Night Agent on Netflix. Awesome conspiracy/espionage thriller, felt like an updated season of 24. I loved it. And it was just renewed for a second season.
Have you looked at Rabbit Hole on Paramount?
JCC

Post by JCC »

Kraken wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:18 pm I recently started watching Torchwood. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's basically Warehouse 13 in the Dr Whoniverse, with Captain Jack Harkness standing in for the Doctor. Somehow I never got around to seeing it before. Pretty good so far, but not great yet.
As noted by others, the third series "Children of Earth" is the best one. (Though, I really didn't care for the ending.)

I strongly recommend against the 4th series. (Miracle Day). It has a few nice moments, but it's really bad.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:52 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:55 pm The Woman King

Enlarge Image
I watched this recently on a cross-country flight. Definitely not the best setting for a movie with this much action, but it still hit hard. Great acting across the board: the Oscar buzz for Viola Davis was justified (even if she didn't get nominated), and Lashana Lynch is super-charismatic.

Definitely a movie to check out if you like a good blend of action and drama.
This is a good movie but it totally ignores/contradicts history. The kingdom portrayed in the movie was historically one of the leading enslavers in Africa.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:50 pm
Grifman wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:26 pm Just finished Night Agent on Netflix. Awesome conspiracy/espionage thriller, felt like an updated season of 24. I loved it. And it was just renewed for a second season.
Gift me a Paramount subscription and I will :)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grifman wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:04 pm
I sprung for $4.99 for a month and there's still commercials. Ripoff.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Free trial maybe? =)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:10 pm
I sprung for $4.99 for a month and there's still commercials. Ripoff.
Hah, Wife insisted on getting Peacock so that she can watch "Poker Face." It was $30 for a full year, and Poker Face is pretty good. I didn't warm to it until the third episode, but that isn't what this post is about. Peacock also insists on playing ads, and every time an ad block loads, it slows my TV to a crawl. IDK if the ads are on a different server or a separate app or what have you, but it takes at least 3 minutes to slog through a 60-second block, and when it finally finishes it locks up completely and I have to stop and restart the show (which then plays fine). That's probably mostly just my TV, which is sluggish in the best of times. But I REALLY resent watching ads on a paid service, and even more so when they break the show.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Succession is pretty painful to watch this year. I can't believe they spent most of the episode about whether a certain character had died.

The whole season so far has just been word salad, without any point.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Beef is good.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hipolito wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:52 pm Beef is good.
Wife likes it better than I do, but I'm in since the episodes and season are both short. I'm just getting burned out on shows about assholes being mean, and there is much assholiness in Beef.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

naednek wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:42 pm Succession is pretty painful to watch this year. I can't believe they spent most of the episode about whether a certain character had died.

The whole season so far has just been word salad, without any point.
I disagree. Although I didn't like the first two, the third episode was masterfully done and I'm looking forward to its conclusion. But we probably have a Succession thread for this one.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Yes. Not just good but brilliant.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I'm midway through War Sailor on Netflix, it is damn epic.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:14 pm
The ending didn't go in either direction that I thought it would. I wasn't sure how it would end until it ended. That's good writing. Although...
Spoiler:
About halfway through I said "They're going to wind up married to each other," more making a joke about my BIL's marriage than actually believing it.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Kraken wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:58 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:14 pm
The ending didn't go in either direction that I thought it would. I wasn't sure how it would end until it ended. That's good writing. Although...
Spoiler:
About halfway through I said "They're going to wind up married to each other," more making a joke about my BIL's marriage than actually believing it.
I initially didn't like the final episode. It was so weird and philosophical, like how Neon Genesis Evangelion ended. But on reflection I like it.

And can we all appreciate how lovely Ali Wong is?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mrs. Davis on Peacock is (so far) original, fun and incredibly quirky. A badass nun fights against an all powerful AI that has taken over the world through apparent benevolence.

It’s…hard to describe beyond that. Betty Gelpin is just such a great comic actress.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm enjoying All Creatures Great and Small on PBS. It's like a palate cleanser - no action, dystopia, crime, hateful people, or any of the other tropes that dominate entertainment. Just mostly likeable people trying to do their best in a world where integrity, honesty, and compassion still matter. It would probably bore y'all to tears. :P
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:34 pm I'm enjoying All Creatures Great and Small on PBS. It's like a palate cleanser - no action, dystopia, crime, hateful people, or any of the other tropes that dominate entertainment. Just mostly likeable people trying to do their best in a world where integrity, honesty, and compassion still matter. It would probably bore y'all to tears. :P
I watched that many years ago. I even picked up a couple of the books. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't realize it was still on the air.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.