PS4 question regarding accounts

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

PS4 question regarding accounts

Post by Blackhawk »

I got a PS4 clear back when it launched.

A while back I got a PS4 Pro. When I did, I put it in the living room and set it as my primary with PS+. I still use it.

My son wants to put the old PS4 in his room to game online with his friends (primarily Destiny 1.)

The effing PS+ system is so convoluted and has changed so many times over the years that I can't for the life of me figure out whether that is possible without deauthorizing my own PS4 Pro (thus preventing me from using it.)

Does anyone know how this system actually works?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ChuckB

Re: PS4 question regarding accounts

Post by ChuckB »

It is (at least it was years ago) possible, to have multiple Playstation accounts on the same physical console (I had a US account and a UK account on the same console). Does your son havePS its own Playstation account, or is he playing Destiny 1 using your account and the question is really, if the same account can be active on two consoles? If it's the latter, I think it works but if you log into the account, it'll tell you if not, I don't think there is any way to "break" the system by trying
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's still possible to have multiple accounts on one console and to have multiple consoles with the same account.

As far as I have been able to discover, he'd have to buy a second premiumssubscription to play a multiplayer game, even in the same household, even if I have an account on the same console.

From what I can tell, the only way for family members to play online if someone has a premium account is for them to all play on the same physical machine.

Which is kinda bullshit. It's like having a stream service that requires a separate subscription for every device in the house. And that is just for basic online play of a game on a physical disk.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm not sure if this applies. My son has a PS4, and when he left I played on his account. When I got a PS5 I created my own account. When we signed in on his account on my PS5 all his games became accessible on my PS5 and I can easily switch between accounts. Don't know if he can play on his PS4 while I play on the PS5, but I don't see why not.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If I understand it correctly, he could sign in with my account on the other PS4 and access my games, and he could play online on my account, but he can't play online on his own account unless I set it as my primary PS4, which then messes with my ability to use the PS4 Pro, as it would then be the secondary console.

IE, the person with the PS+ subscription can play on their primary console or on their secondary. Other people can use PS+ features on the primary console, but not on the secondary, where the features (like online play) are limited to the person who actually has the premium account.