The George Santos Circus

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The George Santos Circus

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:47 pm I mean George Santos has to get his beak wet. But he'll vote yes when it's required.
He's got mouths of some undetermined species at home to feed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:51 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:47 pm I mean George Santos has to get his beak wet. But he'll vote yes when it's required.
They're not undetermined. He discovered the species in the Belize and got to name them. He just can't say because of his CIA past.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:51 pm
I imagine it would be the Lyre Bird
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Or maybe it was the rare species known as "camera shutter". The second half half of that video really did encapsulate Santos, didn't it?
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Rep. George Santos orchestrated a 2017 credit card skimming operation in Seattle, the man who was convicted of the fraud and deported to Brazil said in a sworn declaration submitted to federal authorities Wednesday.
Trelha told federal authorities in the declaration Wednesday that his “deal with Santos was 50% for him and 50% for me.”

“We used a computer to be able to download the information on the pieces. We also used an external hard drive to save the filming, because the skimmer took the information from the card, and the camera took the password,” he wrote.

“It didn’t work out so well, because I was arrested,” he admitted.

Trelha said Santos visited him in jail in Seattle, but told him not to implicate him in the scheme.

“Santos threatened my friends in Florida that I must not say that he was my boss,” he wrote.

Trelha agreed to say he was working for someone in Brazil and not with Santos, because he was worried Santos would have his friends in Orlando deported, he said in a telephone interview last month. Trelha recalled Santos warning he could “make things worse for him” since he was already in jail and Santos was a U.S. citizen.

In an audio recording of Trelha’s May 15, 2017 arraignment in King County Superior Court, Santos tells the judge he’s a “family friend” who was there to secure a local Airbnb if the defendant was released on bail.

Santos also claimed to the judge he worked for Goldman Sachs in New York, a key part of his campaign biography he later admitted wasn’t true.

Trehla was unable to post the $75,000 bail. He pleaded guilty to felony access device fraud, served seven months in jail and was deported to Brazil in early 2018.

“Santos did not help me to get out of jail. He also stole the money that I had collected for my bail,” Trelha told federal investigators in the declaration.

Trelha told POLITICO that before flying to Seattle, Santos had traveled to Orlando to pick up $20,000 in cash he instructed Leide Oliveira Santos, another roommate, to give him from a safe. Santos had promised to hire El Chapo’s lawyer for Trelha, he said. A third roommate in the Winter Park apartment told POLITICO in a phone interview that Oliveira Santos told him Santos had come to get money for Trelha. The third roommate spoke on condition of anonymity because he was in the country as an undocumented immigrant.

But Trelha never heard from Santos after Santos visited him in Seattle, the third roommate said. He later learned from Oliveira Santos that her attempts to contact Santos over the next few months were futile.

Trelha realized he had been conned, he said, when no lawyer appeared — let alone El Chapo’s.

But he still didn’t want to name Santos as a co-conspirator, fearing retaliation against Oliveira Santos, who was also an undocumented immigrant, he said.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That was not Santos. It was Kitara!
malchior

Post by malchior »

He has likely escaped justice there but you have to figure he was still scamming recently or is still scamming.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Seem like he stole from everyone including from his partner in crime.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

George is into fashion:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Damn, girl. George Santos is too flouncy to be Republican.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks, political donors!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Santos charged by DoJ:
Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against New York Rep. George Santos, the Republican lawmaker whose astonishing pattern of lies and fabrications stunned even hardened politicos, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

Santos is expected to appear as soon as Wednesday at federal court in New York’s eastern district, where the charges have been filed under seal.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wait. I thought Federal investigation had to take years instead of weeks.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sometimes I start to feel bad for the guy. He's obviously mentally unstable.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is my concern as well. If he is mentally ill the we should be getting him help. However some people are just scum like Trump. Hard to tell but at this point I find it hard to give anyone at that level the benefit of the doubt.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We should be getting him out of office. His Republican Party could have gotten him mental health help, or even better the millions of citizens like him who didn’t win elected office.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. Omg, I am not ‘concerned’ about this poor man.
Get him out of office and he can get in line for metal health help.
“We” shouldn’t be focused on getting him help, we should focus on getting him out of the fucking cockpit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

To be clear, I'm not suggesting he should be in office. I was echoing that if he is mentally ill we probably shouldn't be demonizing him - we should get him help. Still his behaviors - willful or not - disqualify him from office. I also however harbor a strong doubt that he *is* mentally ill.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Is this bad? Because this seems bad.

Thoughts and prayers.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:52 am Is this bad? Because this seems bad.

Thoughts and prayers.

In other words, all the things Florida Man got away with.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Just the libs using the DOJ as a weapon again! Ridiculous! What about Clinton? Lincoln? My dog Toby?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Octavious wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:55 am Just the libs using the DOJ as a weapon again! Ridiculous! What about Clinton? Lincoln? My dog Toby?
My grandmother had a dog named Toby. What a great dog!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Oh George, deceiving people about your qualifications and indulging in your Walter Mitty fantasies is just run of the mill politics. But the Feds don't take too kindly towards wire fraud and money laundering... :naughty:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:55 am In other words, all the things Florida Man got away with.
And supreme court justice(s). Probably....
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is Santos's seat safely R? Because there's no way McCarthy lets him go if there's any chance the Dems will win the seat.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:29 am Is Santos's seat safely R? Because there's no way McCarthy lets him go if there's any chance the Dems will win the seat.
I believe there has been polling to the effect that the Dems would pick up the seat. They lost it in 2022 through complacency, but now it will be a high-visibility race.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Amazing

I can't make this up.

Rep. George Santos R-NY is charged with unemployment benefits fraud.

The House is slated to vote this week on a bill to help states recover fraudulent COVID unemployment payments.

**Santos is a co-sponsor of that bill.**
Also, that's just 1 thing. There are 12 others (as noted above). I don't think he's mentally ill. I think he underestimated his ability to skate at such a high level because he's been getting away with smaller levels of fraud for decades.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It's interesting seeing the reaction from right wing Twitter accounts, from deflecting to the Weaponization Committee report or the Biden laptop to saying "these charges are nothing".
Hodor.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The GOP deflection reminds me of a relative of mine who got fired from no less than 10 jobs in the space of a year and a half. Apparently none of the firings were his fault, he just had 10 different managers who were out to get him.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This is the end result of Mitch McConnell preserving opportunities for corruption and ending campaign finance reforms.
malchior

Post by malchior »

What a genius. He is going to prison. For awhile. No matter what. BTW love the reference to Comer's Biden family "wire transfers" witch hunt which landed with a thunk this afternoon with anyone but the smooth brains on the right.

waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

He didn’t go big enough. To get away with it you have to be owned by a billionaire not a millionaire, and you have to “borrow” millions not tens of thousands.
Holman

Post by Holman »

He's probably a sociopath operating with no conscience. We're fortunate that his utter selfishness took the form of lying grift rather than harming others, but sociopathology isn't an excuse for any kind of crime, no matter how "white collar."

A few months back when he was interviewed and basically admitted to (some of) his lying, people noted that his attitude was open annoyance about getting caught rather than any sort of remorse for his actions. That's textbook sociopathology.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Tweeting through it sure worked for TFG.

Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:02 pm He's probably a sociopath operating with no conscience. We're fortunate that his utter selfishness took the form of lying grift rather than harming others, but sociopathology isn't an excuse for any kind of crime, no matter how "white collar."

A few months back when he was interviewed and basically admitted to (some of) his lying, people noted that his attitude was open annoyance about getting caught rather than any sort of remorse for his actions. That's textbook sociopathology.
I think of him as Slippin' Jimmy McGill, a two-bit grifter who's suddenly in way over his head.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:59 pm
Holman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:02 pm He's probably a sociopath operating with no conscience. We're fortunate that his utter selfishness took the form of lying grift rather than harming others, but sociopathology isn't an excuse for any kind of crime, no matter how "white collar."

I think of him as Slippin' Jimmy McGill, a two-bit grifter who's suddenly in way over his head.
Give Slippin’ Jimmy more credit than that!
18-1™ & 2-0
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Christ, Slippin' Jimmy was Professor Moriarty compared to Shemp Santos.
Covfefe!
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Thank you. McNutt may not agree, but thank you.
18-1™ & 2-0
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

His constituents are harmed. We may be enjoying a victory lap on this turd but they're stuck without representation. Or worse, stuck with his representation, however temporary. His fecal afterglow will be stuck on their shoes for a while.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT