[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:27 pm
Scooby Doo is a beloved children's TV show with a big fan base of adults who grew up on it. You can't take those characters, completely change them into different personalities, make them swear and talk about sex constantly, and expect everyone to think that's hilarious. Maybe if I was 15 years old I'd think it was hysterical, but I'm not, and that's obviously not the target audience for the show.
Haven't seen it, but from discussions I've seen here and elsewhere, it sounds so much like they tried to adult-ify Scooby Doo, which sounds rather out of place. And what is the target audience? Fans of the original cartoon? Because fans likely wouldn't be impressed by it, and anyone looking for Scooby Doo in the future, be it parents or otherwise, would likely be horrified by it.

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:17 pm Better than Fox :)
But are they? Long ago, I used to think that anything that landed on HBO was safe, that it was one of the best possible places a show could be released on. But now that shows are being cancelled and actively being removed from the service, I don't think that's necessarily true anymore.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still think of old HBO when it first started out with just movies when I see or here the letters HBO. I can still hear that intro before the 'feature presentation' .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:24 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:00 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:28 pm I figured it was going to happen. Shows like Doom Patrol, Legion and other quirky gems that try doing something different are tough sells. I’m always surprised when they last as long as they do.
Also, HBO.
And Netflix, and FX, and....the list goes on. They're all adverse to airing things like this. I can understand though. At the end of the day, it's a business. And if you're not profitable, you either adapt or die. I hate it. But I understand it.
I was referring to the fact that since the merger, HBO and Warner have been slaughtering their catalog. Shows have been getting canceled like mad, shows have been getting sold off from HBO Max to free ads-mandatory services, budgets have been getting slashed, films have been getting canceled, and they seem to see the DC logo as the bullseye. Oh, and while they're actively going about giving customers less, they're also charging more for it.

Every channel does it, but HBO has been taking it to extremes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, the recent change in leadership shows a distinct dislike of the DC brand. Let’s hope Gunn can turn that around. Although I fear he’ll avoid anything as deep as Doom Patrol in favor of goofier fare. Nothing wrong with his work, I love almost all of it. But sometimes you want something that goes a bit deeper.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:21 pm Yeah, the recent change in leadership shows a distinct dislike of the DC brand. Let’s hope Gunn can turn that around. Although I fear he’ll avoid anything as deep as Doom Patrol in favor of goofier fare. Nothing wrong with his work, I love almost all of it. But sometimes you want something that goes a bit deeper.
Deeper without being excessively darker.

Until they get to The Question, of course.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Definitely would love to see that. Although Justice League animated did a great job with the character
Spoiler:
And I still like your idea of a Legion of Super-Heroes movie too!
Last edited by hepcat on Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Let’s go with The Spectre.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:35 pm Let’s go with The Spectre.
Where's the subscribe button on your post?
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I do hope it becomes more internally consistent. One thing's for sure, and it's that there have been far too many reboots and origin stories. I don't really need Superman's origin story for the 100th time. I'd just like to accept that we know his origin story by now and skip it, even if there's an actor change. Same with Batman. This would avoid retreading and allow them to move forward without feeling like a false start everytime there's a change. If anyone wants to see an origin story, they can always watch any of the previous movies and get the general gist of it. The only origin stories that need to be made are for the heroes that haven't had one yet.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently several of the shows that were dumped from HBO Max are ending up at Tubi.

'The Nevers' Unseen Episodes Will Stream on Tubi
HBO's The Nevers has found a new home after it was unceremoniously axed and pulled from HBO Max. On Friday, it was confirmed that Tubi landed the exclusive streaming rights to the drama series and will stream all six episodes starting Monday, February 13. On top of that, six previously-unseen episodes will air beginning on Tuesday, February 14 starting at 2:38 p.m. ET and wrapping with Episode 12 on Wednesday, February 15 at 4:50 p.m. ET.

The Nevers debuted the first half of its first season all the way back in 2021 and was originally planned to air the second half sometime this year. It was just one of many casualties amidst the Warner Bros. Discovery restructuring efforts, leaving HBO Max at the same time as the acclaimed series Westworld. As part of a strategic shift, both series were among eight previously designated to appear on third-party free ad-supported TV (FAST) services. Tubi landed The Nevers as part of a larger overall deal that also included all seasons of Westworld, The Time Traveler's Wife, and Raised By Wolves among others.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

We enjoyed the first half of The Nevers so glad to hear it found a land place - and to hear this:
With the show coming back through Tubi, TVLine secured an exclusive interview with Goslett to see what the showrunner had to offer on the new episodes. Specifically, she assured fans that the finale of Season 1 will finally give the series a proper rest and close the storyline the show opened back in 2021, saying:

I think Episode 12 brings all our storylines home to roost in ways which will feel satisfyingly cathartic. There are definitely story elements and character dynamics there which were intended to push into future series [seasons], but they would have been starting a new chapter of The Nevers. I believe that we bring this one to what feels like a natural close.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just don't understand the logic behind not airing something that's already been finished. I'm sure there's marketing costs involved, and other hidden financial impact; but to me, it seems foolish.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably has to do with paying the people involved. I'm sure the contracts stipulate they get additional payments when it airs initially and every subsequent airing. And there's probably just some type of single payment provided if the show is yanked or not aired in its entirety.

It really does feel like these HBO (and others) are just throwing things at a dart board and trying to guess what to do anymore.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:24 pm Probably has to do with paying the people involved. I'm sure the contracts stipulate they get additional payments when it airs initially and every subsequent airing. And there's probably just some type of single payment provided if the show is yanked or not aired in its entirety.

It really does feel like these HBO (and others) are just throwing things at a dart board and trying to guess what to do anymore.
Agreed - the whole television scene feels like a Jenga tower about to collapse. Although, HBO feels like they put someone in charge of quality television that doesn't like quality television. Like putting the head of Walmart in charge of Sax's Fifth Avenue. Or bringing in the coach who has a different system and refuses to change to fit personnel.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I never came back to post any thoughts on Velma. I'll spare the details. It's not good at all.
Anyway, I was reminded of it today when I saw that Screen Junkies gave it the Honest Trailer treatment.
And it's apparently getting a second season despite the best thing about it being the Honest Trailer. :shock: :coffee:
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:58 pm Anyway, I was reminded of it today when I saw that Screen Junkies gave it the Honest Trailer treatment.
I'd heard it was bad, but wow - I couldn't even make it all the way through the Honest Trailer. Every clip from the show just made me want to punch my monitor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:58 pm And it's apparently getting a second season despite the best thing about it being the Honest Trailer. :shock: :coffee:
HBO wants to keep Mindy Kaling happy.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:29 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:58 pm Anyway, I was reminded of it today when I saw that Screen Junkies gave it the Honest Trailer treatment.
I'd heard it was bad, but wow - I couldn't even make it all the way through the Honest Trailer. Every clip from the show just made me want to punch my monitor.
Glad it wasn't just me. I cut away halfway through.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The perfect storm of shows I wouldn't want to watch would be Kyle Bornheimer and Mindy Kaling as the principals.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

So it looks like The Nevers is only airing on Tubi for a limited time. Namely, today through Friday.

I searched Tubi and nothing appeared. Here is the schedule I found on another site.

The Nevers Episode 1 “Pilot” airs at 4:11 PM ET on Wednesday, March 1
The Nevers Episode 2 “Exposure” airs at 5:30 PM ET on Wednesday, March 1
The Nevers Episode 3 “Ignition” airs at 6:25 PM ET on Wednesday, March 1
The Nevers Episode 4 “Undertaking” airs at 7:25 PM ET on Wednesday, March 1
The Nevers Episode 5 “Hanged” airs at 4:03 PM ET on Thursday, March 2
The Nevers Episode 6 “True” airs at 5:07 PM ET on Thursday, March 2
The Nevers Episode 7 “It’s a Good Day” airs at 6:16 PM ET on Thursday, March 2
The Nevers Episode 8 “I Don’t Know Enough About You” airs at 7:24 PM ET on Thursday, March 2
The Nevers Episode 9 “Fever” airs at 3:05 PM ET on Friday, March 3
The Nevers Episode 10 “Alright, Okay, You Win” airs at 4:03 PM ET on Friday, March 3
The Nevers Episode 11 “Ain’t We Got Fun” airs at 5:08 PM ET on Friday, March 3
The Nevers Episode 12 “I’ll Be Seeing You” airs at 6:13 PM ET on Friday, March 3

It seems to me like they are only airing at that specific time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

How 1980s of them. Except for the random times that ensure that it doesn't work with anyone's schedule.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

They were aired over 2 or 3 days in February as well, similar setup. They're not streaming on demand, or recordable(?) so you're either in front of the TV for those airtimes or you miss out.

Hopefully, maybe they'll wind up somewhere else in a more usable format.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:51 pm How 1980s of them. Except for the random times that ensure that it doesn't work with anyone's schedule.
And you can't even set up a VCR for them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daveman wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:07 am Hopefully, maybe they'll wind up somewhere else in a more usable format.
More accurately, a usable legal format.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Has anyone actually been able to access any of Tubi's FAST channels? I can't see anything except their VOD offerings through their website or in their app.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Would that be the Live TV feature? I looked at it last night and whatever was selected was playing in a preview window while I was browsing all the selections.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:00 pm Would that be the Live TV feature? I looked at it last night and whatever was selected was playing in a preview window while I was browsing all the selections.
Possibly. I don't see anything about "Live TV" either. It might be a regional thing that isn't available in Canada, I guess.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I bet that's it. It appears at the top of both a browser and TV app for me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Going to need a thread name change soon:
Warner Bros. Discovery is pushing forward with a plan to drop “HBO” from the name of its flagship streaming service HBO Max.

That decision for the long-planned rebranding of the combined HBO Max and Discovery+ services was partially informed by the company’s belief that “the HBO name turns off many potential subscribers,” Bloomberg reported on Thursday and TheWrap independently confirmed.

The name change is meant to signal that the service will not just be HBO Max with Discovery content, nor will HBO Max be ported over to Discovery+. “Max” is the leading contender, though Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav said on a recent earnings call that the new name would be officially unveiled April 12.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How about Maxi McMaxFace?

Isn’t Discovery ninety percent shit and 10 percent Puppy Bowl? There was a time it was about science and nature, but then it became about people making poor life choices.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's still about (pseudo) science and (searching for cryptids in) nature.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:28 pm Isn’t Discovery ninety percent shit and 10 percent Puppy Bowl?

So... 90% shit and 10% bullshit?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hey, even Hitler loved puppies! What kind of a monster are you?!?
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

What an odd decision to rename it to. Yeah, of course Max has more name recognition than HBO... :roll: Probably gonna cause more confusion and they're going to see subscriptions drop.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The name thing is dumb but I am happy about them combining since I subscribe to both. And I admit I subscribe to Discovery solely to hate-watch paranormal shows.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Word is that in addition to axing half of their content (and selling off another chunk), plus raising the price you pay to get less, they're going to start charging extra for 'enhanced video.' IE, 4k.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They weren't even Netflix levels of content prior to this announcement. I suspect I'll be dropping them when it does happen.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll be dropping them when my sub runs out here in a few weeks. I'll resub once or twice per year to binge a show or two, but yeah - less for more isn't the way it works.

And it seems like a lot of streaming services are doing 'less for more' these days. They overextended, and we've been getting our 'more' on their dime. I get that, but HBO - this isn't the way.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Blackhawk wrote:Word is that in addition to axing half of their content (and selling off another chunk), plus raising the price you pay to get less, they're going to start charging extra for 'enhanced video.' IE, 4k.
Ugh. Hadn't heard that. That would certainly make me consider dropping.