Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:47 am Season 2 of Vox Machina.

Hell yeah.

Just a bump in case you missed it (I did) - the first three episodes were released on 1/19/23. Good stuff!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
mori

Post by mori »

Started watching The Rig. A Scottish sci fi/drama out on an oil rig in the North Sea. If you can make your way through the accents, you may find it enjoyable. Don't think I will be able to get through Glasgow after watching this but maybe Edinburgh. Maybe loosely based on the 2010 film of the same name but not sure. Owen Teale (who you know from Game of Thrones) plays his typecast douchebag role. Another GoT alum, Iain Glen is the lead. Six episodes.
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

I enjoyed it for what it was - a decent SciFi/drama set on an oil rig with odd things happening. The cast and the setting (the rig) were the best parts - the story, writing and effects were average.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I watched the first episode but that's it so far.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Coming February 24: Christoph Waltz as a sociopath consulting with a gaming company. Seems to be right in his wheelhouse.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daisy Jones & The Six

Starring: Riley Keough, Sam Claflin, Camila Morrone

In 1977, Daisy Jones & The Six were on top of the world. Fronted by two heat seeking missiles in Daisy Jones and Billy Dunne, the band had risen from obscurity to fame. And then, after a sold-out show at Chicago's Soldier Field, they called it quits. Now, decades later, the band members finally agree to reveal the truth. This is the story of how an iconic band imploded at the height of its powers.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:44 pm Coming February 24: Christoph Waltz as a sociopath consulting with a gaming company. Seems to be right in his wheelhouse.
Episode 1 is up. It certainly starts with a bang.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:16 pm Episode 1 is up. It certainly starts with a bang.
About halfway through the first epsiode, I can vouch for the accuracy of your description!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
mori

Post by mori »

Finished season 1 of La Cabeza de Joaquin Murrieta translated The Head of Joaquin Murrieta. A Mexican western that I think was inspired by Cormac McCarthy's novel Blood Meridian by the timeline, madness, and the brutality. Kind of like the mentioned series The English but with a bit of Tarentino and Red Dead Redemption mixed in. Certainly was not what I expected. I would of preferred they wrapped this up in one 8 episode series but will watch the next season if it comes to see how this wraps up.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Blood Meridian was a novelization of hell. Just a brutal read. I loved that book and now my interest in this show is piqued.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:51 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:53 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:23 am We’re discussing Korean movies and it made me go look on Amazon to see if they had The Swordsman. They do. And it’s on prime to boot. One of my favorite movies from Korea.
Apparently I'm quite far behind since I just saw this. Normally I'd leave it since it's almost a month ago but it's somewhat rare that we like the same movies, let alone love them. So, yeah, if you haven't seen The Swordsman go watch it. It's excellent.
I’m surprised you watched it, it’s only a 6.8 on IMDB. :twisted:

Joking aside, your next film to watch from Korea is a little gem called The Man from Nowhere.. It’s a bit older (2010) but it caused quite a stir with action film fans back then. I think it’s the film that made me start seeking out Korean movies.
Spoiler:
Watched and enjoyed it a lot. I watched Unstoppable last night and enjoyed it as well. I think it could have given you a bit more backstory but there was some good action and it's nice to see a bigger martial artist in the lead.
Trailer:
Spoiler:
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent, I’ll check it out. Thanks!
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:16 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:44 pm Coming February 24: Christoph Waltz as a sociopath consulting with a gaming company. Seems to be right in his wheelhouse.
Episode 1 is up. It certainly starts with a bang.
Okay, yeah…this is my latest obsession. It’s hilarious until it’s scary. I love that mix. And Christoph Waltz hasn’t been this creepy since Inglourious Basterds. Loving it so far.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I finished The Consultant yesterday and I still have no idea wtf.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:52 am Christoph Waltz hasn’t been this creepy since Inglourious Basterds.
I dunno...he was pretty creepy in The Most Dangerous Game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm….haven’t seen that. I’ll have to check it out.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:59 am I finished The Consultant yesterday and I still have no idea wtf.....
Oh jeebus, I just watched episode 5 last night (I'm taking my time with the show).
Spoiler:
The jeweler's revelation about the golden human skeleton was just so goddamn far out there that I just had to laugh...in a good way. It's rare a show takes me so completely by surprise.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:19 pm
stimpy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:59 am I finished The Consultant yesterday and I still have no idea wtf.....
Oh jeebus, I just watched episode 5 last night (I'm taking my time with the show).
Spoiler:
The jeweler's revelation about the golden human skeleton was just so goddamn far out there that I just had to laugh...in a good way. It's rare a show takes me so completely by surprise.
I thought his issues were because....
Spoiler:
He had cloven feet which made it hard to navigate stairs but golden skeleton was definitely not one of my top guesses.
I actually blew through the series because it's only 35 minutes an episode. Also, I couldn't wait to see what gonzo thing The Consultant was going to do or say next. :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I flew through it for the same reason. However, I was not impressed after it was over.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It may very well end with a whimper, but so far it’s just the right amount of absurd for me. It reminds me of Raised by Wolves in the sense that I have zero clue where they’re gonna go at any given time. The aforementioned episode above was just so damn out there.

And it doesn’t feel absurd for the sake of absurdity. It’s absurd in service to the story.

….so far.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Finished it last night. It did kind of peter out in an unsatisfying manner. But I still enjoyed the over the top ludicrousness of it at times.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:12 pm Daisy Jones & The Six

Starring: Riley Keough, Sam Claflin, Camila Morrone

In 1977, Daisy Jones & The Six were on top of the world. Fronted by two heat seeking missiles in Daisy Jones and Billy Dunne, the band had risen from obscurity to fame. And then, after a sold-out show at Chicago's Soldier Field, they called it quits. Now, decades later, the band members finally agree to reveal the truth. This is the story of how an iconic band imploded at the height of its powers.

This is entirely fictional, right? Not that it reduces entrainment value but I'll probably pass.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:48 am Finished it last night. It did kind of peter out in an unsatisfying manner. But I still enjoyed the over the top ludicrousness of it at times.
I was kinda cheering for The Consultant since I thought everyone else was a bit unsympathetic. Hoping there's a season 2 but okay if it's a one and done.
Spoiler:
I was pleasantly surprised at Mama Sang's fate
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That...was strange. In hindsight
Spoiler:
did he actually kill ANYONE?

I guess maybe Sang by proxy. Perhaps he can only kill people who sign his contract?
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

No Trailer yet, but I'm really up for Amazon's Adaptation of Leigh Bardugo's Ninth House (Shadow & Bone Author)

I really loved the first book, and the 2nd (Hell Bent) is even better (about 50% done).
Considering the smashing success of Leigh Bardugo's first adult novel, there was no surprise when Ninth House was picked up for a series adaptation. The novel follows a girl named Alex Stern, who enters Yale in her Freshman Year. Unconventional and inherently an outsider among the wealthy and arrogant elite, Alex has a special skill that no one else possesses: she can see ghosts. Entering the occult world of secret societies at Yale (no word on whether they actually have the power to wield occult magic), Alex must navigate a dangerous world of magic, manipulative rich kids, and the constant threat of the haunting dead.

Bardugo pulls from some of her personal experiences for Ninth House, being a Yale alumnus herself and a member of a secret society, and will be acting as an executive producer on the series adaptation set to be developed by Amazon Studios.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:08 pm
Unagi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:09 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:27 pm Then episode 6 gave us Inspector Lowbeer and now all I want is a spin off series featuring her character and Beatrice solving crimes like Colombo.
I'm with you. Something about her has me wanting a lot more of her. She's weird as all-get-out and I find that so awesome. Obviously, it's connected to her transgender-hood - I'm transfixed.
Lowbeer is rather well portrayed in this series and 'close enough' to the book image in my mind. she also plays a major role in the sequel (and i assume, the whole trilogy, when finished).

for those of you who haven't read the book, the storyline/plot/characters/etc of the show has diverged _wildly_ from the source material. by the mid-end of the first season, NONE of the current subplots or happenings are in the novel. it's like Peter Jackson The Hobbit 'add-random-stuff-to-stretch-this-out-as-much-as-possible'.

(Gibson did say to consider the show as 'another alternate stub' but i still can't get past it.)
b
The AirBnB we stayed at the last 3 days in Manila had a TV setup that allowed me to log into Amazon Prime. 95% of everything I wanted to watch was "not available at your location", including Tagalog movies that were advertised before signing in (or, presumably, to bait and switch one signing up for an account). The Peripheral was among the 5% that was available, and being laid up sick for a day I watched most of the series (finished the last one yesterday at home). I hadn't read the book, I thought the cast was good. Is there going to be a season 2?
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

“The Tomorrow War” was a better-than-expected sci-fi actioner. I was afraid it would be as bad as "65," with a paper-thin, paint-by-numbers plot, but it turned out to be a clever time travel/monster movie that explained itself plausibly if you overlook some big paradoxes, as one usually must do in time travel stories. Chris Pratt, JK Simmons, Yvonne Strahovski, Betty Gilpin.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes but is it an animated J. K. Simmons?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I couldn't disagree more. Absolutely nothing about that movie made any sense.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It had a buff Santa Clause though.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I watched seasons 1 and 2 of Jacky Ryan when they were released, and enjoyed them. I finished season 3 a few weeks ago, but it was a slog. The plot was far-fetched and convoluted, but without any real substance. Season 4 has started, but I just can't make myself watch it. Amazon seemed to be going for a 'Ryanverse' cinematic universe (they also released Without Remorse, and are - supposedly - planning on a theatrical release of Rainbow Six), but so far they haven't been pulling off the Clancy magic. And while I've read a small majority of the original novels, I'm not upset over most of the changes they've made (although with Jack Ryan as young and low-level as he is, they're not really going to be able to have him be the connecting thread the way he was in the novels - see below for novel spoilers.)
Spoiler:
Ryan started as a cubicle-dwelling CIA analyst before Cardinal in the Kremlin and Red October, but by the time of the later novels he was President - it was he and Clark (Without Remorse) who formed Rainbow.
To be honest, there hasn't been much with 'Tom Clancy' in the credits that has lived up to his legacy since his death ten years ago.

Can't we just skip to December so I can watch some more Reacher?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

We are 4 episodes into JR S4 and it is definitely a bit convoluted. I think a lot of the problem is the first episode. I seems to throw you in like you've already seen several episodes. My wife was totally lost on what was going on. There were so many people introduced without any explanation. I am enjoying it but it's certainly not as good as the first seasons.

Absolutely can't wait for Reacher S2.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I lost interest during the first season of Jack Ryan -- the pace was slow, and the actor playing Jack lacked the charisma of the movie actors (unlike Reacher, I did not read the Clancy books so this could be spot on -- the first season of Reacher, Reacher was not as charismatic as Tom Cruise but he nailed the role).

Maybe I'll give it another go when I'm looking for something to watch. I actually have a few hours a week to watch TV now.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:07 pm I lost interest during the first season of Jack Ryan -- the pace was slow, and the actor playing Jack lacked the charisma of the movie actors (unlike Reacher, I did not read the Clancy books so this could be spot on -- the first season of Reacher, Reacher was not as charismatic as Tom Cruise but he nailed the role).
Disclaimer: Save for Without Remorse and Rainbow Six (which Jack Ryan isn't in, except for a childhood cameo in WR, I believe), I haven't read a Clancy novel in years, so my memory may be a little off.

He's not really a match for the Jack Ryan of the novels. Jack (novels) was generally someone who stumbled into situations, not an action hero who jumped in feet first. He was usually the only guy who had the specialized knowledge (Red October), was in the wrong place at the wrong time (Patriot Games), or just happened to be the next guy on the list (Executive Orders.) He was a desk geek, a guy with a BA in economics and a short-term history professor who did a stint as a stockbroker at one point. Throughout most of the books he was a CIA analyst, and later on a politician. He wanted to stay a desk geek, but he was just too good at his job and kept being pulled into situations because of it. He's an archetypal reluctant hero (as he was in the films from what I can recall), and while he managed to hold his own when forced into the field (he was a former Marine), he wasn't ever particularly good at it. He was, however, charismatic. Not the wise cracking type, but the friendly neighbor that you like and trust type.

In the show he's portrayed as an experienced field officer who's closer to the typical action hero. In the show he also has a lot more testosterone.

Show Jack: Runs in with the spec ops team, covering his angles.
Book Jack: Stands behind the team with a bullet proof vest on and waits for them to tell him to come in.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jim Gaffigan: Dark Pale is now up.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If anyone is interested, Knock at the Cabin is now included with Prime. As far as the twist:
Spoiler:
The twist is there is no twist.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Season 2 of Good Omens starts today.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

I finished Jack Ryan S4 over the weekend. I thought Seasons 1 & 3 were good. I thought Season 2 was lesser quality. Season 4 comes in dead last. The plot just didn't work for me - too many holes. The end speech was supposed to be satisfying, but was just dumb in execution. And the whole thing supposedly happened over about 3 weeks - given how long the flights were, the injuries sustained, the countries visited...dumb. Action was decent, though, as long as you didn't try to figure anything out.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles