Alpha Protocol - Reviews, Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scoop20906

Re: Alpha Protocol - Reviews, Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

Post by Scoop20906 »

A lot of replay ability with this game. Issy, did you go the aggressive gung-ho kill all terrorists route or the thinking sauve who’s really behind the power route?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This game is not even available any more.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scoop20906 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:17 am A lot of replay ability with this game. Issy, did you go the aggressive gung-ho kill all terrorists route or the thinking sauve who’s really behind the power route?
I went stealth as much as possible.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:55 am
Scoop20906 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:17 am A lot of replay ability with this game. Issy, did you go the aggressive gung-ho kill all terrorists route or the thinking sauve who’s really behind the power route?
I went stealth as much as possible.
I did two when I played my first play thru too but if you go the aggressive route things play out very differently and you even meet sone different characters and different missions. I just found it so jarring to play the asshole agent but I really want to get back to this someday.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Mine was 20 hours...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

stimpy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:41 am This game is not even available any more.
It's always regrettable when licensing requires games like this to be yanked from digital storefronts. But if you previously missed out on playing and purchasing it, fortunately Alpha Protocol remains available courtesy of Archive.org.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I played this on, I think, console back in the day, but I picked up a copy on Steam back in 2014 and played it for 89 minutes :wink:. Reinstalling now to give it another look.

Oops, just found my purchase info for 2010. I picked it up for the X360 on June 1, traded it in two weeks later :roll:. Still, maybe I was hasty.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:00 pm I played this on, I think, console back in the day, but I picked up a copy on Steam back in 2014 and played it for 89 minutes :wink:. Reinstalling now to give it another look.

Oops, just found my purchase info for 2010. I picked it up for the X360 on June 1, traded it in two weeks later :roll:. Still, maybe I was hasty.
It's one of the more unique games out there. It's definitely not perfect, but I really enjoyed it. I really wish they had made more games like it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've now played two missions, the Weapons Stockpile and the Arms Dealer. All rather basic compared to games now regarding combat and stealth, but I'm enjoying the abilities to buy loadouts and intel. I'll keep going to awhile.

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:24 pm I've now played two missions, the Weapons Stockpile and the Arms Dealer. All rather basic compared to games now regarding combat and stealth, but I'm enjoying the abilities to buy loadouts and intel. I'll keep going to awhile.

Enlarge Image
The game doesn't really open up until the end of the middle east missions. That's where the story really blossoms.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've done what I'm assuming is most of the Rome missions, this is after completing the Saudi Arabian missions. Those three early missions kind of mislead me about how the game plays, I thought it was all shoot 'em ups against compounds, etc. So I'm continuing to play even though I'm forced to use a controller for the damn computer hacking :(

By the way, Mina hates me for gunning down everyone at a CIA place but Madison thinks I'm hot :D
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Now available on GOG.com.
With Alpha Protocol back, we’re also very happy to say that the GOG version of the game contains additional or brought back features that are here to let you enjoy it even more:

Licensed soundtrack
Immerse yourself in the game's thrilling espionage atmosphere, accompanied by its iconic tracks.

Achievements support
Your accomplishments will not go unnoticed, as the achievement system (previously only available on consoles) is fully implemented on GOG.

Full controller support
Whether you own a Dualsense, DualShock 4, Nintendo Switch Pro, Xbox Series or Xbox One controller, you can sit back, relax and play Alpha Protocol on any of those (vibrations and wireless mode included).

Localization support
Enjoy the game in your native language with localization support for 8 languages: English (audio & text), French (text), German (text), Italian (text), Spanish (text), Czech (text), Polish (text), Russian (text).

Compatibility with modern operating systems
Whether you’re playing on a modern rig or an older PC, the game will run smoothly on your operating system and adjust its default settings to match your hardware.

Cloud saves support
Don’t worry about losing your save files either, as your GOG copy comes with support for Cloud saves.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Bought yet again. This was such a great game with the branching story line. I wish more games had emulated it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill have to look it up but is this the game where you're some kinda James Bond / Duke Nukem like spy and get orders to do jobs?..if so I own it some place.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Cult classic spy RPG Alpha Protocol is back on PC after being delisted in 2019
The ambitious, yet flawed Alpha Protocol is available for purchase once again. The 2010 game, which was developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Sega, was removed from all platforms in 2019 because Sega’s music licensing rights had expired. The game is making a comeback as a DRM-free exclusive on GOG.com, available today for $19.99, with an additional 10% launch discount lasting through April 3.

What’s now available is a definitive edition, of sorts, containing all of its original music, as well as support for modern wireless controllers (including the DualSense, Switch Pro controller, and Xbox Series X controllers), text localization support for 8 languages, Windows 10 and 11 compatibility, and cloud save support. The game also sports achievements on GOG, which were previously only available on consoles. What this re-release of Alpha Protocol is not, however, is a remaster. The visuals and core game are unchanged. GOG.com produced a mini documentary on how it brought the game back, and I’ve embedded it at the top of the post.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

gbasden wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:06 pm Bought yet again. This was such a great game with the branching story line. I wish more games had emulated it.
Yeah, I bought it again too -- I think this is the third time now. I was waffling until I watched that mini-doc and saw that GOG had actually worked on it, with source code access, to ensure it will run on Win10/11. I have no idea whether the OG physical media or the copy I have on Steam will even launch on my current system. :lol:

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I feel like a remaster where they fixed the combat would be a big seller.