The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by Daehawk »

It truly is . The sounds really make the area and setting come alive. I felt like I was in a wine country fantasy world. Very immersive.

As to the original W3 ending I didn't get the one I expected to get but did get the best one I think and I loved it. I found the triggers for the endings to be lame and virtually unseen if I hadn't looked them up. I dont like that.

My ending was....
Spoiler:
Told the Emp that Ciri was dead and she became a witcher beside me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:57 pm It truly is . The sounds really make the area and setting come alive. I felt like I was in a wine country fantasy world. Very immersive.

As to the original W3 ending I didn't get the one I expected to get but did get the best one I think and I loved it. I found the triggers for the endings to be lame and virtually unseen if I hadn't looked them up. I dont like that.

My ending was....
Spoiler:
Told the Emp that Ciri was dead and she became a witcher beside me.
That's the same ending that I got. I was happy with that ending, BUT one thing that annoyed me about it:
Spoiler:
Partway through the game you get a dialogue option to take Ciri to the Emperor. I chose not to, instead choosing a dialogue option like "we've got to take care of the Hunt general first". Only what I didn't realize is that that dialogue option is literally the only chance you get to take Ciri to talk to the Emperor if you want to do that (and thereby to get the "Ciri becomes Empress" ending"). Like you can literally walk up to the Emperor anytime after that, and you never get the chance to tell him about Ciri.

Not a big deal, but like, you should flag something like that better if it's a point of no return on an ending.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep totally.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:29 pm
That’s the same ending that I got. I was happy with that ending, BUT one thing that annoyed me about it:
Spoiler:
Partway through the game you get a dialogue option to take Ciri to the Emperor. I chose not to, instead choosing a dialogue option like "we've got to take care of the Hunt general first". Only what I didn't realize is that that dialogue option is literally the only chance you get to take Ciri to talk to the Emperor if you want to do that (and thereby to get the "Ciri becomes Empress" ending"). Like you can literally walk up to the Emperor anytime after that, and you never get the chance to tell him about Ciri.

Not a big deal, but like, you should flag something like that better if it's a point of no return on an ending.
The way I look at is
Spoiler:
that time you choose whether or not to bring Ciri to the emperor, is the moment that Geralt makes that decision once and for all. The Witcher 1-3 isn’t like Elder Scrolls where the character is all up to you, but instead it’s Geralt’s story, and the player can only choose so much and only at certain points. Once Geralt makes that decision, it could be argued that it would be out of character for him to go back on it. Just my thought process.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:10 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:29 pm
That’s the same ending that I got. I was happy with that ending, BUT one thing that annoyed me about it:
Spoiler:

The way I look at is
Spoiler:
that time you choose whether or not to bring Ciri to the emperor, is the moment that Geralt makes that decision once and for all. The Witcher 1-3 isn’t like Elder Scrolls where the character is all up to you, but instead it’s Geralt’s story, and the player can only choose so much and only at certain points. Once Geralt makes that decision, it could be argued that it would be out of character for him to go back on it. Just my thought process.
Yeah but:
Spoiler:
The thing about it is that it's not presented to you as "should I bring Ciri to the Emperor or hide her from him?" IIRC it's shortly before you go fight the Hunt general. Someone asks about the Emperor, and the choice I picked was something like "we need to deal with the General now." I thought I was just saying "hey, this otherworld general rampaging around is the more pressing issue" when apparently what I was actually saying was "Let's hide Ciri from the Emperor forever."
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well I'm glad I read the spoilers because my inclination would have been to go the other way.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

In RPGs with branching storylines/endings, I always have to set a ground rule before I start playing lest I drive myself insane. And that ground rule is to "make decisions based on your character and with no regret." And yes, it still PAINS me when that results in the death of an NPC, or a failed quest, or some other negative consequence I didn't anticipate.

I made every decision based on what I felt Geralt would do in that particular moment, consequences be damned.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For fucks sake Britt sell the child. That way no one dies :) Better yet sell the child , get the gold, THEN kill the buyers and return the child and gold. Only the child buying orcs die :)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Well, I finally put this one to rest. Beat the core game and both DLCs. Did all non-Gwent side quests and around 95% of the question marks. Which is plenty enough for me to feel satisfied that I "beat the game." It was a worthwhile experience and I'm super happy I can mark this one off my list after so many stops and starts.

Now it's on to Red Dead Redemption 2, the only other game in my collection that has experienced the same number of false starts and give ups halfway through.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Congrats YK, for finishing an all-time great and starting another (again).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well...finally finished the entire game last night. I originally started in May of 2016 and played like it was my job through June of 2016. I then took a few years off before completing Hearts of Stone (2020) and put off the (arguable) epilogue (Blood and Wine) until last month, finally finishing it the other night.

An absolute masterpiece and still probably my favorite game of the last decade. I'm terribly sad it's over and I know there's really nothing left for me to do. At least I'll always have the memories, but part of me wishes I could experience it all again for the first time.

Farewell my friend.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Leaves you both happy and sad.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

#TeamTriss
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seeing this video makes me glad I finished it back when I did. Wonder why they are still updating it these days. Geez its old.

Those purple cobwebs are pretty glaring lol.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm picking this up again. First played about 3 years ago at the start of the pandemic and got in about 90 hours before putting it down. Now I'm trying to finish up the story and can't remember how to play. Any suggestions on how to get back into the flow? I'm on Skellige which isn't exactly a beginner's area. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can relate; had the same problems.

Realistically, lowering the difficulty level is your best option - to the point where potions and oils are optional in combat. Meaning you can "brute force" your way through 90% of the encounters without having to rely on those extra elements in order to survive / damage the enemy. That will work for most encounters, but bosses or high level creatures are still going to be a problem (even on the easiest difficulty level) until you get your skill back. I would avoid any of those quests until you're more comfortable (creature hunts or anything where you need to fight monsters for a story line).

If you're on the easiest difficulty level, you need to focus on upgrading your gear for your chosen school /combat style. Don't forget about sharpening your weapons (for a bit of a bonus) at a blacksmithing station.

You can also fast-travel back to some of the starter areas and see if new (lower level) content has been added in since you last played. Try fighting some basic monsters to get a feel for things.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

stessier wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:46 pm I'm picking this up again. First played about 3 years ago at the start of the pandemic and got in about 90 hours before putting it down. Now I'm trying to finish up the story and can't remember how to play. Any suggestions on how to get back into the flow? I'm on Skellige which isn't exactly a beginner's area. :D
Start a new game to relearn the mechanics, then reload the old save once you're back in the groove?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was blown away by the Blood & Wine area. So amazing.