Cervical Cancer Vaccine recommended for girls...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

waitingtoconnect

Re: Cervical Cancer Vaccine recommended for girls...

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Exodor wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:47 pm
Smoove_B wrote:I don't think the vaccine encourages sex; it just seems weird to be making that kind of sexual assumption for a minor.
I can see the conundrum if your twelve year old comes to you and wants to get a prescription for birth control pills - that's condoning underage sex.

But this is a vaccine that will prevent cervical cancer for life, right?

I don't want Elise to be more vulnerable to cervical cancer becuase I was sqeamish when she was 11 and she waited to get the vaccine until later, when it's not as effective.

Obviously each parent has to make this decision for their kids, but to me it's a no-brainer. I haven't discussed it yet with my wife (who is much more conservative than me), but I suspect she will agree.
The contraceptive pill also regulates periods. So some girls during puberty have issues regulating a monthly cycle and need to have it prescribed regardless of their parents religious. It isn’t just to stop pregnancy.
Exodor

Re: Cervical Cancer Vaccine recommended for girls...

Post by Exodor »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:14 am
Exodor wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:47 pm
Smoove_B wrote:I don't think the vaccine encourages sex; it just seems weird to be making that kind of sexual assumption for a minor.
I can see the conundrum if your twelve year old comes to you and wants to get a prescription for birth control pills - that's condoning underage sex.

But this is a vaccine that will prevent cervical cancer for life, right?

I don't want Elise to be more vulnerable to cervical cancer becuase I was sqeamish when she was 11 and she waited to get the vaccine until later, when it's not as effective.

Obviously each parent has to make this decision for their kids, but to me it's a no-brainer. I haven't discussed it yet with my wife (who is much more conservative than me), but I suspect she will agree.
The contraceptive pill also regulates periods. So some girls during puberty have issues regulating a monthly cycle and need to have it prescribed regardless of their parents religious. It isn’t just to stop pregnancy.
Holy shit, quoting a post from 2006! Things have changed a bit since that post and in the end Elise got the HPV vaccine without fuss.

She hasn't asked for birth control pills largely because her periods are regular and she's into girls so pregnancy isn't an issue. :mrgreen: