We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by Scuzz »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:39 am Got thru my surgery yesterday. Just a little sore but I can get around fine. They gave me some hydrocodone but I don't need it. I'll save it for when my back goes out.
Glad to hear it.
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

Good to hear!

I got pressed into making Christmas dinner because the ex came down with the plague two days before Xmas. Considering that she had been out of work for three months with her mystery ailment, it was just typical that after a month teaching, a student gives her COVID.
The fake knees are cranky enough that I started wearing the braces again. This after I hurt myself kicking a dirty shirt into the laundry pile. Oy.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A friend of mine (5 years younger than I) was just diagnose with fatty live, apparently he can eat or drink nothing now, or it will turn into cirrhosis. He admitted that since this diagnosis 3 weeks ago, he's gone the longest he ever had without beer since he was 17. But he's dropped some weight and is below his 3 year minimum.

He was the only one I could count on drinking with me whenever we hosted parties. But usually that meant he fell asleep on my couch by 7 pm, and by 10 his kids were getting anxious as he generally had to fetch his wife from work by 11 or 12 (and when he missed the pickup, she'd get pissed at ME!)
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:25 am A friend of mine (5 years younger than I) was just diagnose with fatty live, apparently he can eat or drink nothing now, or it will turn into cirrhosis. He admitted that since this diagnosis 3 weeks ago, he's gone the longest he ever had without beer since he was 17. But he's dropped some weight and is below his 3 year minimum.

He was the only one I could count on drinking with me whenever we hosted parties. But usually that meant he fell asleep on my couch by 7 pm, and by 10 his kids were getting anxious as he generally had to fetch his wife from work by 11 or 12 (and when he missed the pickup, she'd get pissed at ME!)
My co-sister-in-law nearly died of fatty live and was warned to stop drinking, full stop. She cut out her hardcore ways and now imbibes more responsibly. She's still alive so far. I can't blame her; a life without beer is not worth living.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:33 am a life without beer is not worth living.
Never could stand the taste of beer. And I cut out all alcohol about thirty years ago. Never regretted it.

Speaking of old, an ambulance took away my 80+ year old across the street neighbor a little while ago. He lives by himself and has various aliments. His next door neighbors (our other across the street neighbors) noticed he hadn't picked up his paper for a couple of days. They looked through the window and saw him on the floor and called 911. Cops had to break down the front door. They took him away, apparently still alive. The girls (they are younger than us so we call them the girls) are going to repair the front door best they can. I'm glad they are looking after him. My wife and I put in almost a decade looking after my elderly father and we both agree that we have already put in our time as caretakers, not to mention we now have each other to look after.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

This is my position, with the caveat it must be good beer. Contrary to my wife's assertation that anyone who drinks regularly is an alcoholic -- I might have a couple or 4 in a day...my frame of reference is my old man who when he was full alchy put down a 24-pack case plus unknown quantities of booze (which I rarely have -- like none in the past few years) each and every day. By drinking good beer, I can't afford to imbibe the quantities required to make me a verified booze hound.

And that's why relocating to the beer desert known as the Philippines is going to be the death of me. My wife always suffers from SAD this time of year, and she's back on the "I can't wait until you retire in a year and a half so we can move to the Philippines" kick. 10 more years here, with her earning increasingly more money, the kids at least getting to high school, and the ability to move there with both more retirement income and more passive income (in addition to her egg farm, the AirBnB condo in Manila (which she only plans on us occupying if I'm in need of medical attention), she wants to build an apartment complex near the local university). At that time we could, in all likelihood, provide the kids with an option to continue school in the US. Wife thinks the education system in the Philippines is just fine. I beg to differ -- open-air schools in dreadful heat that don't even have school libraries seems rather inferior to what they have here. On top of that, the country is so religious-oriented I can't see how they could possibly get an objective science education.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:06 am
This is my position, with the caveat it must be good beer. Contrary to my wife's assertation that anyone who drinks regularly is an alcoholic -- I might have a couple or 4 in a day...my frame of reference is my old man who when he was full alchy put down a 24-pack case plus unknown quantities of booze (which I rarely have -- like none in the past few years) each and every day. By drinking good beer, I can't afford to imbibe the quantities required to make me a verified booze hound.
Yeah, I have a minimum daily requirement of four beers. I rarely depart from that in either direction. There's a difference between heavy drinkers and alcoholics that only heavy drinkers appreciate. :lol: If having a MDR for beer makes me an alcoholic, then I'm a happy and high-functioning alcoholic with no apologies to make.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I’m undergoing deunicornification.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Dermatology, Mohs procedure, etc.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just had that done a couple months ago. Luckily it was only one small spot so they didn't have to take any serious amount of skin. My brother-in-law had a skin cancer on his forehead but he waited before he had it taken care of and now he has a big scar on his forehead.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Yeah, I'll have a bit of a scar, but once the Franciscan 'do grows back out, it'll be hidden under some hair.
Enlarge Image
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The Meal wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:47 pm Yeah, I'll have a bit of a scar, but once the Franciscan 'do grows back out, it'll be hidden under some hair.
At least you still have hair there! If that were me it would be on full display.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My skin cancer was on my face so I am left with a weird eyebrow and half an ear ....eh. I have another good one on the other side of my face that I'll tell the VA about next time I see them.

Saw my civilian doctor yesterday and got the all clear on the gall bladder thing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Meal wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:47 pm Yeah, I'll have a bit of a scar, but once the Franciscan 'do grows back out, it'll be hidden under some hair.
Enlarge Image
I had something similar after getting hit in the head with an axe. I was still young and resilient back then. And yes, axes were the pinnacle of military technology back then...
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:25 am I had something similar after getting hit in the head with an axe. I was still young and resilient back then. And yes, axes were the pinnacle of military technology back then...
I was going to depart this thread as other folks are dealing with far worse issues than I (glad to hear the good news, dbt!), but holy cow I was not led to believe I would be in this much pain the next day. If you look at the photo in Jeff's post, you can see a white "plateau" with an obvious gash down the middle of it. (I assume the whiteness was from the hair-shaving operation, but maybe that's what a scalp always looks like. NBD, either way.) To the right of the gash there's an errect-penis looking Gorbachev-mark that points towards the gash. (Oh god, I'm making someone's signature with that one, aren't I?) The tip of the penis points to the actual (formerly) offending basal cell carcinoma, a little grey pinky tip-sized (formerly) lump. It's way more obvious when you blow it up. I anticipated the Mohs surgery would be taking layers off that lump. I didn't not anticipate the axe-wound that would come with it, above and below in the picture.

And since axe-wound got dealt with via staples, my scalp is basically immobile in that section. I make a face and everything gets pulled against the staples. I put my head on a pillow and things get tugged in the opposite direction against the staples. I lift my head off a pillow or turn sideways and more tugging. Basically *everything* I do that involves my head leads to tugging against the staples. And DAMN it hurts. Like lurch out of bed painful (which, of course, leads to more hurting). There was no chance of me falling asleep like that (though I tried for many hours). Eventually I found some leftover pills from a surgery I had last February (I don't think I posted about my sinoplasty, for reasons I addressed in the first sentence of this reply) and while they dulled the pain they do nothing against the sharpness of the experience.

I'm glad that with modern medicine I'm not facing a bigger issue (the Mohs surgery is cool in that with 99.7% accuracy they can send you on your way knowing they got *all* the cancerous cells, it took them two passes to get me a clean bill of health), but recovery is a much bigger bitch than I anticipated. Really glad today's not a work-day (I'd have to call in sick), and I'm only semi-hopeful that I'll be feeling better by Monday.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

When the business was still open we had a carpenter who had cancerous growths removed several times and he always took the next day or two off.

I have had cysts cut out and get a full skin check annually now. I expect at some time to need to have growths cut off. My father did on his arms.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:01 pm When the business was still open we had a carpenter who had cancerous growths removed several times and he always took the next day or two off.
Thank you. That's really helpful to hear. My baseline for this stuff is MHS and she's an absolute beast (so not really a fair baseline at all).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:55 pm I was going to depart this thread as other folks are dealing with far worse issues than I
This is a support group, not a competition.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Whenever I have a cold coming on it starts with a painful spot on the inside of my left nostril. Last night was no exception.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Depart...de -part....I see what ya did there hair. :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:28 pm
The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:55 pm I was going to depart this thread as other folks are dealing with far worse issues than I
This is a support group, not a competition.
This very much!
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Tomorrow's my last day of solid food before I get my butt probed.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't think I've been near broth, white cranberry juice, or white grape juice since I had mine done.

In other news I've had a soft, largish lump on my shin for a few months. Asked my doctor about it last month. Have an ultrasound scheduled in a couple of weeks. Almost no chance of it being something serious. But my mind keeps obsessing over how these weeks/months may have mattered if it does wind up being something serious.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:24 am Tomorrow's my last day of solid food before I get my butt probed.
An, good times.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive noticed changes after 45 and now after 50. Mainly theres some ear hair that Ive had to start taking care of since I was 40 and now spots or places will just start growing. All benign says the dermatologist but still bugs me. Had some removed. Like a tiny yet annoyingly placed seed cyst right on the bridge of my nose near my eye and something on my temple. Also the mole Ive had on my back since I was a kid the size of a small bb grew one day to a pencil eraser so removed it. Now I have a dark mole on my right cheek. Always had it was always smooth and lightly colored like a freckle you can barely notice. Its gotten darker and is raised enough I can easily feel it when I run my hand over it. I am considering having it removed. Its more of a nuisance than a problem but I dont want to wait for it to grow more or turn into something else. So guess Ill have a divet on my cheekbone instead.

And I still have 2 white spots on each side of my face. Totally white after shaving and small but seeable. Used to have only 1 on my left side...then after 40 two. Now after 50 two on the other side. I match. Doc says they are nothing. Worries me he is wrong or didn't look good. And its not like you can simply cut off white spots.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So you're Polka Dot man?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A few more and I can be. My super powers would be joints that pop and crack to frighten children and a receding hairline that makes young males feel sad and depressed about their future selves.

Maybe I can get a spiffy onesie supersuit out of the deal.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:42 pm A few more and I can be. My super powers would be joints that pop and crack to frighten children and a receding hairline that makes young males feel sad and depressed about their future selves.

Maybe I can get a spiffy onesie supersuit out of the deal.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about performing eastern European dances while eating gum drops.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve not ventured in here because I’ve been relatively okay. But about a week and a half ago I started having headaches every day. I’ve narrowed it down since they started to they only happen when I rest my head (specifically the left side of my head or the back of my head) against something. Like when lying down or sitting with my head against the back of the chair.

Going to give the doctor some blood today so he can test. It’s really annoying though.
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Could be vertebra out of place.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

WebMD (whenever I mention that site to my doctor, he pretends to be screaming in frustration and tells me to stay off it) tells me that my symptoms seem to match a pinched nerve in my neck or some other similar scenario to what you mention. But I'm going to let my doc do a little more digging.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I refer to Doctor Google.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Doctor Google just confirms I'm hella sexy and that I need to order viagra in bulk from an online Indian pharmacy.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm 97% sure it's not encephalitis caused by Toxocara, if that helps.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well...shit. That leaves me with just Dengue Fever or Cooties. Neither are fun. :(
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres always mono or the mumps. Kissy boy.
telcta

Post by telcta »

My doctor hates when I start with, “So I read…”. I can see his shoulders slump and preparing for a loud sigh, but dammit… I’d like to know something about what may be a problem and be able to intelligently speak with my doctor.

I’ve been with this doctor for almost 20 years and I sometimes wonder if it’s better to switch to a younger doctor that may embrace the self-help attitude of a patient.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can understand their viewpoint though. The absolute worst thing a patient can do is self diagnose, I imagine.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

telcta wrote:I’ve been with this doctor for almost 20 years and I sometimes wonder if it’s better to switch to a younger doctor that may embrace the self-help attitude of a patient.
I've gone through that change in the last several years and it was a night and day difference. Went from a doc pushing 70 to a doc in his early 40s.

I LOVE the younger doc. He's all about preventative medicine, and he doesn't waste time with BS stuff that my old doctor did just because that's how medicine had been practiced since the '60s.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I miss my old doc. We were "together" for 25 years before he retired when the pandemic forced telemedicine on him. He was a year or two older than me so I understand why he bailed. We weren't friends but we exchanged chitchat about family and vacations and whatnot and he knew me as a person. His 40-something replacement is OK, but he's all business and I'm just another old fart to him. I miss the rapport.

If we move this year I'm going to need to start over with all new doctors, dentist, mechanic, barber, etc. -- they'll all be people who never knew me as anything but a senior citizen.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Oddly, I've been with my VA doctor about 25 years too. Be seeing him tomorrow.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949