[Roguelike] Dwarf Fortress

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: [Roguelike] Dwarf Fortress

Post by Unagi »

Mid Winter, Year 113

The Forgotten Beast, Kutsmob Sest Ozstag, has come! A huge hominoid composed of rutile. It has a knobby shell and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its deadly spittle.

If you look closer at the creature, you can get some more information. One of the things is the translation of its surname.

Kutsmob Sest Ozstag translates to: "Kutsmob the Cat of Squids"

"It is tough, but slow to heal, quick to tire, quite susceptible to disease and totally clumsy."

Kutsmob, you are no Bugsud.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So... I'm confused. Are you supposed to get a FB every year? I thought it was supposed to be more of a "special occasion". And what happened to Ol' Dusty?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oggez (Dusty) was attacked by ant people in the cavern and died pretty quickly.
Kutsmob also met the same fate. I am sealed up inside the fort - behind a drawbridge.
I'm still at 31 population. Which is actually just like 12 adult dwarves. Some of the others are human bards and other residents that survived ol' Bugsud by being in the upper tavern during the attack. And the remainder is dwarf children - that can do chores like hauling and harvesting but cannot be part of a squad... So - I don't have a military that I really feel like risking to a FB right now.

Yeah, regarding FB frequency... I can't tell what's driving it really. They seemed to come a little more than once a year there for a while, but the game didn't throw them at me for a while at first - and a few of those FBs fell really fast (when they are made of water or vomit, they are quite fragile). Right now it seems almost yearly. The Steam version (or Premium, as it's called) is not entirely the same creature that DF v0.47 was, but the differences are nuanced and since I'm still just in my first game -(I've seen a few Youtube plays though) - I'm guessing that another playthrough may feel quite different. The first FB event was long anticipated - and felt special. But by now - the FB events don't feel too 'rare', they feel a little more like the inevitable goblin raids. Speaking of which - those stopped since the Bugsud incident. I feel like the game is giving my poor population a break - but I feel like, in the old game, they would have kept coming with regularity.

Then there are the visits by Megabeasts. These are truly 'special occasions'. These are the creatures that are part of the world lore before the game even started. The FBs are created procedurally just before they arrive on your map. They have no history. The Megabeasts come with a list of Kills. I don't think my Weregila counts as a Megabeast, but she does have a history of 5 kills in a previous fortress (no date-stamp)...and she is apparently 239 years old, so perhaps she is a 'Megabeast' of sorts... But I don't think so.
My 326-year-old Roc is certainly a 'Megabeast', and has 54 notable kills starting back in the year 13... (and 156 other kills).

I've now dug down quite deep. I've passed Cavern 2 and Cavern 3, and my stairwell is walled off and those two caverns have no access to our fortress. I'm just above the magma and trying to approach it responsibly...

There is now a new FB that has arrived - in Cavern 2.

Early Spring, Year 114 (much less than a year since the last FB)
The Forgotten Beast, Lish Gakit, has come! A gigantic humanoid composed of flame. ( :shock: WTF!?) It has a spiral shell and it undulates rhythmically.
Apparently, something about his name translates to "The Wickedness of Thieves"

Fire is already all around him. It will be interesting to see how the game handles 'burning' his fire body parts.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, Lish Gakit seems to be sorta confined behind a large lake... and the coolest thing happened... He jumps into the water, and it started to boil away - the water depth decreased, and there was steam in the air.

I was actually thinking he would maybe die from that - but he then hopped out (shows no damage) and wander off behind some fog-of-war.

EDIT: He eventually wandered off the map. The cavern is filled with ash, and fires are still spreading around.
Last edited by Unagi on Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Just some stats on my map elevations.

Elevation -
> +46 -- highest land
> +39 -- ground level/fort entrance/brook level
> ...
> +16 -- furniture storage
> +15 -- kitchen/still/butcher/well & unprepared food/bone/seed storage
> +14 -- administration/temples/tavern/dining hall/lever rooms & massive drink & prepared food storage
> +13 -- bedrooms
> +12 -- kiln/smelter/metalsmith/stoneworker & massive stone/ore/coke storage
> +11 -- crafting/jeweler/woodworker/bower/loom/clothier & massive wood/cloth storage
> +10 -- artifact/library/hospital/well/barracks/dungeon & massive weapon/armor storage
> +8 -- tombs - 65 coffins filled, 74 available, & 28 slab memorials (many more Bugsud victims still need the spirits rested) (also the highest ceilings of Cavern 1 begin here)
> +6 -- my entrance into Cavern 1... with drawbridge
> -2 -- the lowest elevation for Cavern 1
> -11 -- highest ceiling of Cavern 2 begins here
> -13 -- currently where the FB is running around burning the entire place.
> -15 -- the lowest elevation for Cavern 2
> ...
> -52 -- a hatch to keep anything lower from entering my fortress
> ...
> -110 -- highest ceiling of Cavern 3 begins here (creepy place)
> -114 -- the lowest elevation for Cavern 3
> -120 -- first sign of a warm wall, likely the first level of magma (but it could be above here but I just don't know yet...)
> -121 -- seeing 'semi-molten rock' walls here, and below
> -123 -- my stairwell didn't want to go below here because of magma being below it, I believe.
> -129 -- technically as low as the map goes.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

tiny little Plump Helmet Men were spotted on level -13.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:12 pm So... I'm confused. Are you supposed to get a FB every year? I thought it was supposed to be more of a "special occasion".
Update... Dwarves are washing with "Forgotten Beast Soap" now.

:horse:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Mid-Summer, Year 114

Well, we just had a wedding in our tavern. It wasn't any of the dwarves. It's two visiting humans - a Hammerwoman and a Maceman.
Apparently, our fortress is a destination wedding location for the brave.

and then:

The Forgotten Beast, Ofo Thefingalel (Ofo Beachedsquid), has come! An enormous humanoid composed of grime and filth. It has a curling trunk and it has a gaunt appearance. Beware its webs!

It's on level -112.
Holman

Post by Holman »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:12 pm So... I'm confused. Are you supposed to get a FB every year? I thought it was supposed to be more of a "special occasion". And what happened to Ol' Dusty?
Forgotten Beasts are generated along with the rest of the world. They gradually die off (or are killed) as time marches on before you begin your session.

If you're playing in an early historical year, there will be a lot more of them around.

(And most players choose an early historical year simply because worldgen time gets slower and slower as the decades move forward.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Mid-Winter, Year 114

The Forgotten Beast, Thoth er, has come! A great blob composed of mud. It has a narrow tail and it has a bloated body. Beware its deadly spittle!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:38 pm
TheMix wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:12 pm So... I'm confused. Are you supposed to get a FB every year? I thought it was supposed to be more of a "special occasion". And what happened to Ol' Dusty?
Forgotten Beasts are generated along with the rest of the world. They gradually die off (or are killed) as time marches on before you begin your session.

You are talking about Megabeasts , and while Forgotten Beast are described as Megabeasts - they are not in the sense that they have any generated history during World Creation and they do not come with a history of kills - nor a lair, nor are they killed off (pretty certain)

The dragon, the hydra, the roc, and the bronze colossus all are Megabeasts that come with the lore you (and the wiki) speak of. I could be wrong, be there seems to be a distinction... They have waited, brooding in the dark places of the world... and now... by digging too deep... we have awakened them.
Last edited by Unagi on Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Thoth er and Ofo just met - Ofo won. Webs over spittle.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:45 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:38 pm

You are talking about Megabeasts , and while Forgotten Beast are described as Megabeasts - they are not in the sense that they have any generated history during World Creation and they do not come with a history of kills - nor a lair, nor are they killed off (pretty certain)

The dragon, the hydra, the roc, and the bronze colossus all are Megabeasts that come with the lore you (and the wiki) speak of. I could be wrong, be there seems to be a distinction... They have waited, brooding in the dark places of the world... and now... by digging too deep... we have awakened them.
Ah. You're probably right.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

According to your link

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Forgotten_beast
They are attracted by wealth and population size
The number of forgotten beasts cannot be controlled directly, but is influenced by the size of the world and is directly proportional to the number of cavern layers, as exactly one beast is spawned per each underground region.
which is to say from your actually link
Megabeast and night creature attacks are handled the same way as caravan/diplomat visits and migrant waves - at the beginning of the season, the game decides that it's going to happen and sets a timer, and the event happens once the timer runs out. Notably, megabeast and night creature events simply choose a random "eligible" (i.e. able to survive in your fortress's biome) creature from anywhere in the world, and make it instantly appear at your doorstep.
AFAICT they are generated in multitude at world gen and then either are unleashed by your opening them up underground or come seasonally on countdown like a trader once you hit a value/size thresh hold.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but from PCGamesN, Dwarf Fortress on Steam now has the game’s best management tool
Dwarf Fortress hasn’t been on Steam all that long, but it’s already proven to be a colossal success. The colony management game has really been decades in the making, and in that time there have been plenty of mods and community additions to Dwarf Fortress to help you either manage the chaos or ignite it into oblivion. In fact, the well-loved Dwarf Therapist extension, which helps you manage and check on all your Dwarfs, has been updated, and now includes the new Steam version too.

So what exactly is Dwarf Therapist and what does it do for everyone playing Dwarf Fortress on Steam? It’s all about making your Dwarves easier to manage when they start to pile up. The management tool is “designed to run side-by-side with Dwarf Fortress” and offers “several views and interface improvements” while you play.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, it's seriously one of DFs weakest aspects. As you get a large group - and they have been in the fortress for over a decade, the game has serious issues helping you get a handle on what is even going on.
Dwarf Therapist's features need to be part of the game. And there are still other problems that even DT doesn't address. (Clothes management, refuse, others...)

I was --thrilled-- to hear that they are letting another developer on the staff. This will be the first person EVER to get a chance to actually help Tarn code (Tarn's brother is useless).

And as anyone that has programmed something really large, privately, without anyone reviewing their code can say : This shit could use a second pair of eyes.

Sometimes I think Tarn programmed things, got bored with it and just let it be... and moved on to things like Plots and Poetry. I hope that a fresh pair of eyes that's been itching to improve the fundamentals will have a feast with it all.