[America] Domestic violent extremism

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: [America] Domestic violent extremism

Post by Jaymann »

But did the drag show carry on by candlelight?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:13 pm But did the drag show carry on by candlelight?
Yes, actually. I saw a tweet earlier that the show continued by staff flashlights and audience phonelights.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Brian

Post by Brian »

We just got a Safety and Security Bulletin (I work for a Berkshire Energy Company) regarding the attack on the substations in Moore County. Apparently this is the eleventh reported attack on electrical substations THIS YEAR!

Several of the attacks have been attributed to extremist groups so this is definitely not a new thing.

To date, only one of the attacks was at one of our facilities but I've seen several internal memos regarding what field techs need to do if they encounter gunfire or facility damage related to gunfire.

Glad I work in an office that's very locked down.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lesse, pole climbers, pliers, splicer, HK 416, multimeter, wrench, trauma plate... Good to go.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:59 pmHK 416
Need something more portable like a UMP.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Another attack today in SC:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Amazing that it's not foreign provocateurs but Nihilist Rednecks(TM) making the attacks.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:54 pm Amazing that it's not foreign provocateurs but Nihilist Rednecks(TM) making the attacks.
It's unfortunate this is an expression of what has been expected. For those that don't want to face the reality of dire security threats we face in this nation, 40K people just stuck out a week in the cold. Last month there was a smaller outage that affected 12K for days. We don't know the exact contours of what this is but there is apparently a campaign ongoing. Probably uncoordinated but still doing real harm right now.

This actually ate some time in a cybersecurity briefing earlier this week as an energy CEO asked me about cyber risks that might augment these physical attacks. My conclusion at the moment is that we haven't seen evidence of sophisticated coordination to gain access and do harm. These have been more like 'raids' or 'smash and grab' type attacks. I don't see it progressing to that level either at the moment.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/federal-law-enforcement-warned-of-attacks-on-power-plants/
Days after what officials called a targeted attack on power substations in North Carolina, NewsNation has exclusively obtained a recent federal law enforcement memo that warned of something strikingly similar.

The memo reads in part:

Power companies in Oregon and Washington have reported physical attacks on substations using hand tools, arson, firearms and metal chains possibly in response to an online call for attacks on critical infrastructure. … In recent attacks, criminal actors bypassed security by cutting the fence links, lighting nearby fires, shooting equipment from a distance or throwing objects over the fence and onto equipment.

Officials told NewsNation Tuesday it is too early to know a motive for the gunfire damage that caused widespread power outages in Moore County, North Carolina, but there have been similar cases of vandalism and plots in North Carolina and across the country in recent months.

- FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS

In another instance back in February, the Department of Justice secured guilty pleas from three men accused of plotting to shoot substations across the country with powerful rifles.

Federal officials said the defendants were white supremacists and planned to cause millions in damage and social unrest.

Federal authorities have warned of domestic terrorism-related threats to critical infrastructure for years. The Department of Homeland Security renewed that concern in a terrorism alert bulletin issued publicly on Nov. 30.

It reads, in part:

Targets of potential violence include: public gatherings, faith-based institutions, the LGBTQI+ community, schools, racial and religious minorities, government facilities and personnel, U.S. critical infrastructure, the media, and perceived ideological opponents.

Federal officials said the defendants were white supremacists and planned to cause millions in damage and social unrest.

Federal authorities have warned of domestic terrorism-related threats to critical infrastructure for years. The Department of Homeland Security renewed that concern in a terrorism alert bulletin issued publicly on Nov. 30.

It reads, in part:

Targets of potential violence include: public gatherings, faith-based institutions, the LGBTQI+ community, schools, racial and religious minorities, government facilities and personnel, U.S. critical infrastructure, the media, and perceived ideological opponents.

- THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

Officials called the North Carolina outages over the weekend a set of coordinated attacks on power substations.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:01 am This actually ate some time in a cybersecurity briefing earlier this week as an energy CEO asked me about cyber risks that might augment these physical attacks. My conclusion at the moment is that we haven't seen evidence of sophisticated coordination to gain access and do harm. These have been more like 'raids' or 'smash and grab' type attacks. I don't see it progressing to that level either at the moment.
Why not something to probe outcomes? Proof of concept activities, i.e. "look how easy this is and how disruptive it can be?"

I meant to come back to the comments earlier about how things have been done over the last 15+ years, and I suppose to a degree that's fair. My sense however, is that what was done was mainly acknowledging how vulnerable our power grid is and then trying to figure out how we'd respond. I'm under no illusion that we can magically erect hardened bunkers around facilities or expect to address sniper fire against critical components. Instead it seems like the response is acknowledging it will happen and then making sure we have the ability to quickly/easily replace the damaged hardware.

Sure, having engineers figure out plans for redundant design might work too, but I don't know how much is workable with the grid "as is" vs new hardware needs to be installed.

Regardless, how any of this works if someone (or a group) targets a major metro area or multiple major metro areas across a region or multiple states? Chaos.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:30 am
malchior wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:01 am This actually ate some time in a cybersecurity briefing earlier this week as an energy CEO asked me about cyber risks that might augment these physical attacks. My conclusion at the moment is that we haven't seen evidence of sophisticated coordination to gain access and do harm. These have been more like 'raids' or 'smash and grab' type attacks. I don't see it progressing to that level either at the moment.
Why not something to probe outcomes? Proof of concept activities, i.e. "look how easy this is and how disruptive it can be?"
My strong guess? Lack of time/skills. Power companies generally have good cybersecurity in the United States due to FERC/NERC regulations. If they even get into the corporate network, getting into the control systems is reasonably difficult. All the while they risk discovery and eviction. Unlike the movies or popular fiction, cyberattacks usually play out over days/weeks/months. No one is forging credentials or turning off the lights immediately after saying, "We're in". It's way, way, way easier to steal a badge/keys, breach a fence line, or just roll up and fire according to your constitutional rights at facilities.
I meant to come back to the comments earlier about how things have been done over the last 15+ years, and I suppose to a degree that's fair. My sense however, is that what was done was mainly acknowledging how vulnerable our power grid is and then trying to figure out how we'd respond. I'm under no illusion that we can magically erect hardened bunkers around facilities or expect to address sniper fire against critical components. Instead it seems like the response is acknowledging it will happen and then making sure we have the ability to quickly/easily replace the damaged hardware.
And to be clear this is just good preparedness in general. This is how physical and cybersecurity works. You build good threat models about what could happen, plan defenses and response, practice response, and iterate and improve as incidents occur. To some degree, it finally started sinking in that it was something we had to take care of with the executives. Mostly because they saw bad things happen out in the press.
Sure, having engineers figure out plans for redundant design might work too, but I don't know how much is workable with the grid "as is" vs new hardware needs to be installed.
It's also spotty. There are several overlapping regulatory bodies. They coordinate well so this isn't an indication of gaps between regulatory regimes. I mean that different operating areas gauge the same risks very differently. Hence we see PJM (the power grid operator in the NE including Penn-Jersey-Maryland and a few other states is mandating reliability upgrades. Also the FERC region that covers that area is demanding strict adherence to the redundancy requirements in NERC-CIP. Meanwhile, you have ERCOT which...well is a complete shit show and doesn't even mandate weatherization.
Regardless, how any of this works if someone (or a group) targets a major metro area or multiple major metro areas across a region or multiple states? Chaos.
The good thing is major metros don't have some of these issues. They have lots of redundancy. They are underground and harder to attack. The soft spot is rural and these guys could be smarter than they look. We shouldn't underestimate them. They are trying to drive political action - in other words this is starting to look like terrorism with a side of insurgency.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is a sitting member of the House:
“I want to tell you something, if Steve Bannon and I had organized that, we would have won. Not to mention, we would’ve been armed,” Greene said of the events on Jan. 6
Nothing matters anymore. After being called out:
“The White House needs to learn how sarcasm works. My comments were making fun of Joe Biden and the Democrats, who have continuously made me a political target since January 6th… I will never back down from my support of the Second Amendment. And I will never allow the White House, Democrats, or the media to continue to accuse me of something I had nothing to do with,” Greene said.
Yes, saying you would have stormed the Capitol on 1/6 with guns to ensure victory is sarcasm. Somehow.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That MTG is off the wall but unfortunately not unusual any longer.

In other news, leaked Oathkeeper rosters confirm what we already knew - active law enforcement and federal agents are dues paying members.

[url=https://www.occrp.org/en/investigations ... ster-shows]
More than 300 people identifying themselves as current or former employees of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or affiliated agencies appeared on an internal roster of the Oath Keepers, a right-wing anti-government group whose leader has been convicted of sedition.

Among them is a man identifying himself as a “20 year Special Agent” with the U.S. Secret Service who worked security for two presidents, a person who said he was a “Current Supervisory Border Patrol Agent,” and one who described himself as an IT employee at the headquarters of the Transportation Security Administration.

The Oath Keepers roster analyzed by OCCRP and its reporting partner, the Project on Government Oversight (POGO), shows that 306 dues-paying Oath Keepers members listed themselves as affiliated with DHS, including 21 who said they were working for the agency at the time their names were added.

One hundred eighty-four identified themselves as having served in the Coast Guard, 67 as having worked in DHS itself, 40 at Customs and Border Protection or the Border Patrol, 11 at Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and seven at the U.S. Secret Service, the agency charged with protecting the president, vice president, and visiting heads of state.

The new revelations are troubling, said Rep. Bennie Thompson, a Democratic congressman who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee.

“Extremism within our government is always alarming, but even more so in a department with a law enforcement and national security nexus like DHS,” said Thompson, who is also heading the U.S. House’s investigation into the January 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That MTG is off the wall but unfortunately not unusual any longer.

In other news, leaked Oathkeeper rosters confirm what we already knew - active law enforcement and federal agents are dues paying members.

Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project
More than 300 people identifying themselves as current or former employees of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or affiliated agencies appeared on an internal roster of the Oath Keepers, a right-wing anti-government group whose leader has been convicted of sedition.

Among them is a man identifying himself as a “20 year Special Agent” with the U.S. Secret Service who worked security for two presidents, a person who said he was a “Current Supervisory Border Patrol Agent,” and one who described himself as an IT employee at the headquarters of the Transportation Security Administration.

The Oath Keepers roster analyzed by OCCRP and its reporting partner, the Project on Government Oversight (POGO), shows that 306 dues-paying Oath Keepers members listed themselves as affiliated with DHS, including 21 who said they were working for the agency at the time their names were added.

One hundred eighty-four identified themselves as having served in the Coast Guard, 67 as having worked in DHS itself, 40 at Customs and Border Protection or the Border Patrol, 11 at Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and seven at the U.S. Secret Service, the agency charged with protecting the president, vice president, and visiting heads of state.

The new revelations are troubling, said Rep. Bennie Thompson, a Democratic congressman who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee.

“Extremism within our government is always alarming, but even more so in a department with a law enforcement and national security nexus like DHS,” said Thompson, who is also heading the U.S. House’s investigation into the January 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS News
A judge on Thursday handed down the longest prison terms so far in the plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, sentencing three men who forged an early alliance with a leader of the scheme before the FBI broke it up in 2020. Pete Musico was sentenced to a minimum of 12 years in prison, followed by his son-in-law Joe Morrison at 10 years and Paul Bellar at seven.

They did not have a direct role in the conspiracy but were members of a paramilitary group that trained with Adam Fox, who faces a possible life sentence in a separate case in federal court.

Morrison, Musico and Bellar will be eligible for parole after serving their terms.

The trio was convicted in October of providing material support for a terrorist act, which carries a maximum term of 20 years, and two other crimes.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nihilist Rednecks doin time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Our country has a sickness that we refuse to address:
MINNEAPOLIS — A Minnesota man who said he idolized the shooter who killed five people at a gay nightclub in Colorado Springs and was building an arsenal of automatic weapons to use against police was arrested this week as he tried to buy grenades from an FBI informant, according to charges filed this week.

River William Smith, who also expressed interest in joining neo-Nazi paramilitary groups and fired an assault-style rifle in 2019, leaving his grandmother with a hand injury, faces federal weapons charges, The U.S. Attorney General’s office announced in a news release. FBI agents arrested the 20-year-old man on Wednesday after he purchased three hand grenades and four auto sears from an FBI informant, the AG’s office said. An auto sear is a device that turns a firearm into an automatic weapon.
Authorities say Smith came to the attention of the FBI after he frequented a firearm range and gun club this fall wearing tactical gear, body armor and a “Punisher” mask, which the FBI said has been used by right-wing extremist groups to reference “the last thing a victim sees.”

A retired police officer who worked at the gun range contacted the FBI’s National Threat Operations Center on Sept. 27 after he saw Smith wearing body armor, shooting from behind a plywood barricade he had assembled and practicing rapid reloads of his handgun, according to the affidavit.

As the FBI surveilled Smith in November, agents saw Smith’s grandmother drive him to the gun range and wait in the car while he shot. She had also purchased pistol ammunition for him, according to the federal affidavit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:07 pm I wonder if a bunch of guys were watching Oceans Eleven and decided to take a more blunt force solution to taking out the power grid before engaging in their meticulously planned heist of their local Piggly Wiggly?
Win a prize! One of them was a burglary! Good life choice there. Upgrade your burglary to a federal charge for the contents of a cash register. This is close in levels of stupidity to the guy I helped catch years ago who got 10 years in a Lebanese prison while attempting to extort...$200.
According to charging papers, Greenwood told law enforcement officers that he and Crahan planned the power disruptions to aid a burglary. After the attacks on substations in Graham and South Hill, they broke into a local business affected by the power outage and robbed the cash register.
Brian

Post by Brian »

As previously mentioned, I work for an energy company, and hey, we just received a security bulletin which basically states:
Paraphrased wrote:The Memphis, Tennessee, police department will release the body camera footage of the arrest of Tyre Nichols, who later died while in police custody. There is an increased potential for civil unrest...yada yada...significant risk factors for attackers targeting facilities which could potentially include [Company Name] facilities.
It then goes on to list actions that should be undertaken if any of our facilities are attacked or if an imminent attack is expected. Most of them boil down to GTFOing while noting as many details as possible and stressing the importance of situational awareness.

I for one am getting tired of living in "interesting times."
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
malchior

Post by malchior »

They're calling so much attention to how bad it is that I can't help but wonder if they were thinking about you know...not releasing it?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:05 pm They're calling so much attention to how bad it is that I can't help but wonder if they were thinking about you know...not releasing it?
Call me cynical, but something tells me that no, they weren't, because all the officers are black.

If these were white officers I'm not sure we'd have the 2nd degree murder charges already and there'd be a legal battle to not release the video.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:13 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:05 pm They're calling so much attention to how bad it is that I can't help but wonder if they were thinking about you know...not releasing it?
Call me cynical, but something tells me that no, they weren't, because all the officers are black.

If these were white officers I'm not sure we'd have the 2nd degree murder charges already and there'd be a legal battle to not release the video.
Yeah. That was part of my thinking as well. This to some level feels like it could be reckless/intentional. They keep playing up how bad it is like they are trying to get people to watch it. And totally agree on the last part. There is an established playbook for this type of event and this is unusually transparent for this type of incident.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Police bodycam footage of the Paul Pelosi attack was released. What a very strange situation that is.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Yup. Folks don't get what is happening if they think the race of the police officer matters except for the way their leadership and their unions failed to support them like they would have for white officers. Our police as an institution needs massive reforms but unfortunately the police will never allow it.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:02 am Yup. Folks don't get what is happening if they think the race of the police officer matters except for the way their leadership and their unions failed to support them like they would have for white officers. Our police as an institution needs massive reforms but unfortunately the police will never allow it.
As I get older, I find that I sympathize more and more with the people who advocate burning the system down to force change. I still think it's a bad idea, but it's so incredibly frustrating to know that we are locked into the status quo.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Methinks he confuses the number of rubes who got conned with the number of nihilist rednecks willing to die for said con man.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Feds claim Atomwaffen leader was planning to attack MD power grid
A neo-Nazi leader recently released from prison has been arrested again and accused of plotting an attack on the Maryland power grid with a woman he met while incarcerated.

Brandon Russell, 27, and Sarah Clendaniel, 34, are expected to make their first appearance Monday in Baltimore and Florida federal courts on a charge of conspiring to destroy an energy facility, which carries up to 20 years in prison.

“If we can pull off what I’m hoping … this would be legendary,” Clendaniel said on Jan. 29, according to the court record. She was speaking to a federal informant, who was having similar discussions with Russell.

According to prosecutors, their plan was to attack with gunfire five substations that serve the Baltimore area. The charges come after similar attacks on the power grid in North Carolina and Oregon that remain unsolved; the Department of Homeland Security recently warned that the United States is in a “heightened threat environment” and that critical infrastructure is among the “targets of potential violence.”

In conversations about the plot, according to court documents, Clendaniel “described how there was a ‘ring’ around Baltimore and if they hit a number of them all in the same day, they ‘would completely destroy this whole city.’”
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And to think in past decades we worried about Russian agent provocateurs attacking our infrastructure. Instead the Russians found they only needed to groom indigenous assholes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

One thing that disturbs me about the article is that they were clearly serious. There are details in the article which I wish they had not published...but do speak to the fact that they did real research and likely knew what was vital to attack.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It just feels more and more likely it's going to happen and then people will be wondering why and how. Maybe those hand slaps they keep handing out over 1/6 will help.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:50 pm It just feels more and more likely it's going to happen and then people will be wondering why and how. Maybe those hand slaps they keep handing out over 1/6 will help.
They worked so well after the Beer Hall Putsch.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:50 pm It just feels more and more likely it's going to happen and then people will be wondering why and how. Maybe those hand slaps they keep handing out over 1/6 will help.
The only people wondering are not paying attention. Heck what other country has flat out ignored the fact that one of their leaders failed at a coup?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
malchior

Post by malchior »

BTW if you want to read how INCAPABLE law enforcement is when dealing with these people - I am reminded about this article at ProPublica about how they fucked up Russell's first brush with the law. They treated him with kid gloves when he was plotting his first terror plots and here he is plotting more terrorism. We're in for a rough ride because ultimately we're soaking in incompetence and complicity.

The long and short of it was Russell was roommates with three neo-nazis. When he was off on reserve duty one of them murdered the other two. That fine fellow claimed the others were plotting terrorism and he was trying to quit the gang which provoked the violence. Russell was present when police arrived and told the police he had a garage full of explosives. The FBI came and found improvised explosives. They interrogated him, decided to release him, and then drove him home. He immediately armed himself and ran for the Florida Keys. He was arrested the next day on the bomb making charges.
The authorities dispatched to the Tampa apartment seemed unprepared to deal with this particular brand of terrorism. The police detectives and FBI agent who interviewed Arthurs and Russell appear to have given little credence to the evidence discovered in the apartment, or to Arthurs’ allegations that the group was plotting terrorist attacks and mass murders.

While Arthurs was taken to the county jail on homicide charges, police and FBI agents released Russell, who claimed that he used the explosives to power model rockets. An officer even drove Russell back to the murder scene so he could retrieve his car.

What happened next could well have been a disaster. Within hours, Russell acquired an AR-15-style assault rifle and a bolt-action hunting rifle. He loaded homemade body armor and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition into his car, and set off for the Florida Keys with another Atomwaffen member. He was eventually arrested by sheriff’s deputies in Monroe County. They were shocked by the weapons and ammunition they found in the car. There was no luggage. No food. Russell didn’t seem prepared for an extended trip, they said.

“When we found all the weapons, we were convinced that we had just stopped a mass shooting,” recalled Deanna Torres, one of the deputies who captured Russell, who would eventually plead guilty to federal explosives charges.

Five former law enforcement agents spoke to ProPublica and Frontline about the handling of Arthurs and Russell. Most said they were baffled by the decision to release Russell.
The story only gets crazier from there. The evidence the police and FBI agents ignored? He had a picture of Timothy McVeigh on his dresser in his room. Totally normal, right? The place was festooned with neo-nazi symbology and the such. I'm assuming they decided not to go for the conspiracy charges because the star witness was staring down two murders and was found mentally incompetent by the court. In any case, it's still a story you wouldn't believe if it was in a movie.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey, just because someone has a a few dozen guns, thousands of rounds of ammo and lots of materials on Nazis that doesn't mean they are up to no good. They could just really be into the 2nd and 1st Amendments, respectfully.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Haven't posted here in a while. I guess we'll see how the Bureau of Land Management handles white nationalists Nazis:
The Big Sky Active Club said on its Gab social media account: “BSAC went on a hike and etched our message in stone. Tribe up or die.”

Big Sky Active Club is a group linked to white supremacists.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

"Tribe up or die"

these people's mentality drifted off around age 14. Their tiny little world.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

appears to have taken credit
Isn't that an action descriptor generally ascribed to terrorists.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Going back to bombing at the San Jose power grid back in December and January:
A criminal complaint filed Friday by the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office details nine charges against 36-year-old Peter Karasev, including two counts of igniting a destructive device, one count of arson, two counts of interfering with electrical lines, and a count of possessing bomb-making materials.

Karasev, who was arrested Wednesday, was also charged with three counts of felony child endangerment because he is accused of carrying on bomb-making activities with his three young children living in the same home.

A precise motive has not been disclosed by investigators. Karasev was arraigned Friday afternoon in a San Jose courtroom.

At the hearing, Deputy Public Defender Christopher Montoya, appearing on behalf of Karasev, said his client wanted to be freed on supervised release on account of having to care for his children, as well as the absence of criminal history.
Surveillance video and cell phone pings are how they caught him.
While arguing for supervised release during Friday's hearing, the public defender's office said that Karasev is a software engineer at a company that develops self-driving cars and is married with three children between the ages of 1 and 5, KGO reported.
Also of note:
He is originally from Moscow, Russia
I'm sure that's just a coincidence.