Windows 11 Bitlocker

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrothgar

Windows 11 Bitlocker

Post by Hrothgar »

So I was having problems updating latest Windows 11 feature update on my laptop. One of the suggestions was to turn off Bitlocker, install the update and turn it back on. That actually worked. Now I'm at the point of turning Bitlocker back on, but I've noticed how much faster the system responds with it turned off. This is the slightly older laptop that doesn't travel. Is there any rush to turn Bitlocker back on? Is there a way to turn it on for only select drives? TIA.
Victoria Raverna

Re: Windows 11 Bitlocker

Post by Victoria Raverna »

It is possible to turn on bitlocker for only select drives. You can do it from Settings -> System -> Storage -> Advanced Storage settings -> Disks & Volumes then open the properties of the drives that you want to enable bitlocker on and choose turn on bitlocker.
gbasden

Re: Windows 11 Bitlocker

Post by gbasden »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:25 pm So I was having problems updating latest Windows 11 feature update on my laptop. One of the suggestions was to turn off Bitlocker, install the update and turn it back on. That actually worked. Now I'm at the point of turning Bitlocker back on, but I've noticed how much faster the system responds with it turned off. This is the slightly older laptop that doesn't travel. Is there any rush to turn Bitlocker back on? Is there a way to turn it on for only select drives? TIA.
And if this is a system that is rarely outside the house then it's not an enormous risk to just leave bitlocker off if you don't have a lot of sensitive information. I'm a bit on the paranoid side so I leave it enabled, but most people who would break in and steal a laptop probably aren't the type to be cracking your data.