We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by Daehawk »

I think my bp machine has gone haywire. ive put new batteries in it. But I just took it as it says 155/135. I should be dead. I instantly retake it it and its 119/77...fucking hell. Its seemed to work fine until now. I cant afford a new testing machine for home. This was a good price and rated well. Its a cuff too not one of those crappy forearm or finger bp machines. Not sure what Im to do. Now I cant trust any readings from it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:20 pm Wait, Advil? I take doctor given Lisinopril and HCTZ for bp. I do see my doctor all the time.
But has your doctor specifically recommended that you consume random higher dosages of Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide like they were Tic Tacs (or Advil, to use Smoove's analogy) if/when your BP spikes to 179/103 instead of seeking appropriate medical assistance and supervision? Because that's the point Smoove was making, as you seem to brush off the fact that you can take too much of any prescribed medication, and doing so routinely without sufficient medical guidance can and does cause further problems and harm.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:40 pm I think my bp machine has gone haywire. ive put new batteries in it. But I just took it as it says 155/135. I should be dead. I instantly retake it it and its 119/77...fucking hell. Its seemed to work fine until now. I cant afford a new testing machine for home. This was a good price and rated well. Its a cuff too not one of those crappy forearm or finger bp machines. Not sure what Im to do. Now I cant trust any readings from it.
If you're capable of driving, for peace of mind I'd suggest visiting your nearest CVS/Walgreens/Rite-Aid, or other nearby pharmacy that provides a public blood pressure health station. Because if the results you've been seeing were at all accurate, you may well need emergency care as illustrated below:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:49 pm I wore bifocals from my 20s until I switched to progressives a few years ago. They took some getting used-to, and I'm still not sure I prefer them.
You couldn't make me go back to bifocals after getting progressives. I love them, for a counterpoint.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After having progressives for decades I got some bifocals one year. Never made that mistake again!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I suppose it depends on what you're used to. Now that I'm used to progressives I won't go back to bifocals. But I can understand why some prefer them.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:40 pm I think my bp machine has gone haywire. ive put new batteries in it. But I just took it as it says 155/135. I should be dead. I instantly retake it it and its 119/77...fucking hell. Its seemed to work fine until now. I cant afford a new testing machine for home. This was a good price and rated well. Its a cuff too not one of those crappy forearm or finger bp machines. Not sure what Im to do. Now I cant trust any readings from it.
Have you considered getting a manual cuff and stethoscope? It can be a bit difficult, but you can take your own BP and get pretty close to accurate numbers.
It's not too difficult to do.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Punisher wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:38 pm
Have you considered getting a manual cuff and stethoscope? It can be a bit difficult, but you can take your own BP and get pretty close to accurate numbers.
It's not too difficult to do.
No. Dont know how to take my own bp.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Well, if you can borrow a set to yest I can walk you through a basic version.
Put the cuff on your upper arm.
Make sure you can see the guage.
Close the valve
Put on stethoscope in your ears
The other end goes around the inside of your elbow.
The next part can be tricky so I'll give you 2 ways.
1. Take your pulse on the arm you have the cuff on.
While taking your pulse, inflate the cuff.
When your pulse disappears give it an extra pump or two
Now, listen with the stethoscope and SLOWLY let the air out of the cuff while watching the gauge.
When you can hear your pulse, thats the top number.
Keep letting it out. When you cant hear your pulse thats the bottom number.

2. Instead of checking your pulse, just pump until it's tight. Its cheating, but quicker.

Also you can kind of get the top number by another cheat method. Its not as accurate but you can practice when the doc is taking your BP manually.
Just wat h the needle. As you are letting the air out (or the doc is) just see when the needle starts bouncing. Thats the top number. When it stops bouncing its the bottom number.(the bottom one can be a lot harder to catch though)
Nowhere near as accurate but a fun party trick when you tell the doc your numbers before he tells you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw my doc today and they did change my bp meds. Took me off the Lisonpril that seemed to do nothing and got me on Metatoprol and lasartan now.

I got my flu shot too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Did you tell them of the issues with your cuff? It might be important that your recent readings might have been inaccurate.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I always hated the arm cuffs. Feels like my arm is going to explode.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:21 pm Did you tell them of the issues with your cuff? It might be important that your recent readings might have been inaccurate.
Yes they asked what type I was using as well. Also said to bring it in on my next visit so they could test and compare it to their own stuff.

I told them how the other day my bp was 135/95 and I kept taking a pill every 30 min and it never moved. I ended up taking like 7 pills. Im glad they switched my type and amount. I dont think I lisinopril was doing anything. The readings with no meds and on it were basically the same.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:26 pm I told them how the other day my bp was 135/95 and I kept taking a pill every 30 min and it never moved. I ended up taking like 7 pills.
I just want to reiterate...stop. Your other medication was an ACE inhibitor. The new ones they have you on include a beta blocker. Taking more than your prescribed amount or popping them like Pez to deal with elevated rates puts you at significant risk for harm. Beta blockers don't mess around.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Needs a nitro chaser to get them blood vessels running wide open like the Mississipp'.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have 3 high blood pressure medicines. I asked my doctor about increasing the dosages (including Lisenopril) and he said absolutely not.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Prostatitis. What a bitch.

I'm in some limbo where my PSA is High (~4.8), but not cancerous...which is good. It went up a bit this year, so they ordered a test that helps avoid biopsies. I had one previously, and they're not much fun. Anyway, the cut-off score for cancer-risk being low is 15.6...I'm at 16.3...right over the line. This doesn't mean I have cancer...just the risk for me is higher. The scale goes up to 100, so my doctor was happy with it and didn't do the biopsy.

The problem is like everything seems to irritate it. They normally give you antibiotics, but the only ones that really get into the prostate are fluoroquinolones...which also suck in their own way.

Anyone on here ever have this to be a regular occurrence? If so, what did they do to you?
"Some people say never...I just say no"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Buatha wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:36 pm Prostatitis. What a bitch.

I'm in some limbo where my PSA is High (~4.8), but not cancerous...which is good. It went up a bit this year, so they ordered a test that helps avoid biopsies. I had one previously, and they're not much fun. Anyway, the cut-off score for cancer-risk being low is 15.6...I'm at 16.3...right over the line. This doesn't mean I have cancer...just the risk for me is higher. The scale goes up to 100, so my doctor was happy with it and didn't do the biopsy.

The problem is like everything seems to irritate it. They normally give you antibiotics, but the only ones that really get into the prostate are fluoroquinolones...which also suck in their own way.

Anyone on here ever have this to be a regular occurrence? If so, what did they do to you?
Nope, never did the intermediate steps. By the time some doctor thought I ought to get a PSA, it was over six :shock:.

Did you get the biopsy where they took a bunch of samples from all over the prostate? Wasn't that fun? :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That new bp medicine is really working. My bp right now is 114/68 . Im supposed to take it twice a day but Ive only been taking it in the morning. Im afraid to take it right now when Im supposed to. I think that would be dangerous.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:20 pm That new bp medicine is really working. My bp right now is 114/68 . Im supposed to take it twice a day but Ive only been taking it in the morning. Im afraid to take it right now when Im supposed to. I think that would be dangerous.
You should double check with your doctor. Sone meds require you to take them consistently in order to work properly .
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So today I had another surgery, this one to take a melanoma off my forehead. They biopsy the bits they remove as they go along and it turns out that the first piece removed was the only dangerous one, so supposedly it's just a small wound. My wife's orthopedic surgeon waited and waited before he had his taken care of and ended up with a pretty large scar on his forehead.

Meanwhile now that my hemorrhoids seen to be truly gone, I'm pretty much back to normal after my prostate surgery except for a some daily urine leakage. I'm told that will go away in 6-12 weeks after the surgery and it's only been four, so maybe by Thanksgiving... :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Punisher wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:23 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:20 pm That new bp medicine is really working. My bp right now is 114/68 . Im supposed to take it twice a day but Ive only been taking it in the morning. Im afraid to take it right now when Im supposed to. I think that would be dangerous.
You should double check with your doctor. Sone meds require you to take them consistently in order to work properly .
They said to take it at night. Said the lowest value for the top number to start worrying with is 90.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:06 pm So today I had another surgery, this one to take a melanoma off my forehead. They biopsy the bits they remove as they go along and it turns out that the first piece removed was the only dangerous one, so supposedly it's just a small wound. My wife's orthopedic surgeon waited and waited before he had his taken care of and ended up with a pretty large scar on his forehead.

Meanwhile now that my hemorrhoids seen to be truly gone, I'm pretty much back to normal after my prostate surgery except for a some daily urine leakage. I'm told that will go away in 6-12 weeks after the surgery and it's only been four, so maybe by Thanksgiving... :roll:
You're a teenager again you are Harry Potter :)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I feel like maybe I pulled or tore a muscle in my arm near my armpit. I did it yesterday and it feels worse today. All I did was just lift my truck bed with just my left arm as I had something in my right hand.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I feel miserable and Wife is even sicker. We both tested negative for covid yesterday. She went to the doctor today because she's prone to bronchitis. He ruled out flu. So it's really just a bad cold (or "respiratory virus" as he called it); it's just been so darned long since I've had one that it's really knocking me down. I hope it doesn't hang around for more than a few days because I am not enjoying this at all.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I hope to get back to solid food again someday, but I'm not holding my breath.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:22 pm I feel miserable and Wife is even sicker. We both tested negative for covid yesterday. She went to the doctor today because she's prone to bronchitis. He ruled out flu. So it's really just a bad cold (or "respiratory virus" as he called it); it's just been so darned long since I've had one that it's really knocking me down. I hope it doesn't hang around for more than a few days because I am not enjoying this at all.
My wife attended her sister’s 52 high school reunion last weekend, she also had several cousins there, small town. The next day her cousin called and said four people had tested positive, which means they were already sick at the reunion. Idiots. Anyway, so far none of her family had got sick. We know that at least one cousin has had no shots.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:53 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:22 pm I feel miserable and Wife is even sicker. We both tested negative for covid yesterday. She went to the doctor today because she's prone to bronchitis. He ruled out flu. So it's really just a bad cold (or "respiratory virus" as he called it); it's just been so darned long since I've had one that it's really knocking me down. I hope it doesn't hang around for more than a few days because I am not enjoying this at all.
My wife attended her sister’s 52 high school reunion last weekend, she also had several cousins there, small town. The next day her cousin called and said four people had tested positive, which means they were already sick at the reunion. Idiots. Anyway, so far none of her family had got sick. We know that at least one cousin has had no shots.
I tested again tonight and I'm positive (which I suppose means this is in the wrong thread now). What's weird is Wife tested immediately after I did, using the same test kit, and was negative. We have almost identical symptoms. I decided to retest after remarking that this cold feels a lot worse than covid did the first time I had it.

Off to the covid thread I go, I guess.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:53 pm
I tested again tonight and I'm positive (which I suppose means this is in the wrong thread now). What's weird is Wife tested immediately after I did, using the same test kit, and was negative. We have almost identical symptoms. I decided to retest after remarking that this cold feels a lot worse than covid did the first time I had it.

Thought I would respond here. My wife has now had at least one cousin test positive.

I read somewhere that the current COVID strain features a sore throat but rarely a fever.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:45 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:53 pm

Thought I would respond here. My wife has now had at least one cousin test positive.

I read somewhere that the current COVID strain features a sore throat but rarely a fever.
Mine started with a sore throat. My temp was 99. Normal for me is a little on the cool side but 99 is within acceptable parameters.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

GALLSTONES!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Had a hard time getting out of bed this morning. When I did I ended up on the floor. Managed to crawl to the phone and called 911. "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" Took four of the to get me up. But now I can't go back to my bed or I'll be in the same predicament. All my torso muscles are sore as hell. Don't know if that's because of my trip to the emergency room yesterday or from all my struggling last night.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:20 pmGALLSTONES!
I had my gallbladder out when I was probably mid-30s. Attacks were really painful and did wear you out. The surgery is pretty simple though, arthroscopic and home the same day. Of course I was younger then.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They were going to do it yesterday but my blood sugar and blood pressure were too high.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Still hoping I can get it done soon. I have a mess of side effects!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yesterday I got my first PSA since my robotic radical prostatectomy six weeks ago and got my results this morning. The doc wants it no higher than 0.1 and my result was... 0.04 :D

Now I get tested every three months for the next year and twice a year after that.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Right on!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Last week when I fell down and couldn't get up I crawled around enough to screw up mu toes and now I'm losing one of my big toenails. Good news is it needed to be trimmed. Been about 60 years since I lost a big toenail.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Geez Dave, I'm sorry you're not having many nice days lately. Please don't die before I do.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They have a button for that.