HP laserjets require an active HP account and Internet?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

HP laserjets require an active HP account and Internet?

Post by LordMortis »

Guess, that means no HP laserjet for me. In what reality is this a great idea?

I made it six months without needing a printer. Now I need one today. No fun. I was going to get black toner laserjet to mitigate against toner going dry for the like never that I'll need a printer but the idea of a printer as a subscription is just offensive to me. Gonna compare the next tier of Cannons to cheap Deskjets now and likely keep the cart sealed in plastic baggy or something if I get one.
A:Answer The LaserJet M110we printer is an HP+ printer which means it comes with 6 free months of Instant Ink and a 2nd year of warranty. It also only works with original HP toner and requires an HP account and internet connection.
A:Answer After 30 days it will stop working unless you sign up for a cloud account and promise to keep it connected to the internet.
hitbyambulance

Re: HP laserjets require an active HP account and Internet?

Post by hitbyambulance »

i would advise against inkjet entirely. and you do know there's also Brother brand. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... r-printer/
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I didn't want a printer at all so the idea of paying $100s for one that I was going to print 8 pages for and put in the closes was off the table. The HP+ method of printer owning was offensive to me and there were no other price reasonable laserjets that could be had same day. I did look at Brother and Espon as well as Cannon and HP and ended up with a Cannon 4270 InkJet for $70. It only prints about 4 loud pages per minute and the ink will likely be dry by the time I need it next, even sealed in a baggy, but at least it was only $70.

This is when having physical friends I could just drop in on would be handy.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:13 am I didn't want a printer at all so the idea of paying $100s for one that I was going to print 8 pages for and put in the closes was off the table. The HP+ method of printer owning was offensive to me and there were no other price reasonable laserjets that could be had same day. I did look at Brother and Espon as well as Cannon and HP and ended up with a Cannon 4270 InkJet for $70. It only prints about 4 loud pages per minute and the ink will likely be dry by the time I need it next, even sealed in a baggy, but at least it was only $70.

If you're able to go six months without needing a printer, you may find it more cost-effective to use something like Staples.com print service instead, which costs as little as $0.19 per page for black and white documents. Print services at warehouse clubs like Costco or Sam's Club can be even cheaper still.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:13 am This is when having physical friends I could just drop in on would be handy.
Or a FedEx/Kinkos.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:36 am
LordMortis wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:13 am I didn't want a printer at all so the idea of paying $100s for one that I was going to print 8 pages for and put in the closes was off the table. The HP+ method of printer owning was offensive to me and there were no other price reasonable laserjets that could be had same day. I did look at Brother and Espon as well as Cannon and HP and ended up with a Cannon 4270 InkJet for $70. It only prints about 4 loud pages per minute and the ink will likely be dry by the time I need it next, even sealed in a baggy, but at least it was only $70.

If you're able to go six months without needing a printer, you may find it more cost-effective to use something like Staples.com print service instead, which costs as little as $0.19 per page for black and white documents. Print services at warehouse clubs like Costco or Sam's Club can be even cheaper still.
I just checked our local library for printing services and surprisingly it's free wireless printing - up to 10 pages (black and white only).
stessier

Post by stessier »

After our Lexmark laser printer died earlier this year after a great 17 year run, v we got a Canon ImageClass MF435dw and love it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It is probable that with enough diligence, I'd have found a practically free print service. I'd say "maybe next time" but the odds of me needing a next time will be when these print carts dry out, whenever that may be. Even then Canon actual replacements are ~$20 (currently) and I'm OK with that.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Fwiw, the Canon I mention above is a laser and doesn't dry out nor does the ink "expire". But it definitely doesn't beat free. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Inkjets suck. Brother laser printers are awesome. This is all.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

gbasden wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:50 pm Inkjets suck. Brother laser printers are awesome. This is all.
Yep, I ordered this directly from Brother and it came with a cartridge. Love it. My HP is again useless because the ink has dried out. I only keep it if I need color prints and for scanning. But again I have to buy color ink to replace the dried out one.

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/hll2300d
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

HP is requiring an active internet connection?? That's total bullshit. Printing/ink DRM has gone way too far. This requires legislation. It's not like most of these companies were struggling to keep the lights on before everything became a subscription. (Though I know there are some that likely were, and the model can definitely be used for good as well.)

In the last five years I've bought the same $30 or $40 printer twice when I needed to do urgent printing. Completely stupid because the ink literally costs more than the printer in this case. Can't totally remember why I bought the second one; I must have had some kind of technical issue with the first. I know the capacity of the included "starter" cartridges ensure it's not cost effective to just keep buying printers (thankfully for the environment).

Anyway, the ink dried up when I didn't use it for several months and I've just been going to the UPS three minutes on foot from my apartment. It's not cost effective, but when I just need to print seven pages or whatever....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I used to have trouble with ink cartridges drying up on me, so I bought an Brother HL-2240D for $80 back in 2014. It gets used a couple of times a year, and the original toner cartridge that came with it is still going strong.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The Canon printer we bought several months ago is an ink tank based system with an oil-based ink rather than an alcohol-based ink that isn't supposed to dry up the way most printer inks do.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Brother
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"