Motorsport Manager - Be the Boss of your own Race Team!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Motorsport Manager - Be the Boss of your own Race Team!

Post by Paingod »

My little upstart team, Matrix Racing (led by Mr. Anderson), is doing okay after 4 races. I think.

We started with nothing but $40,000,000, a Factory, two mediocre drivers, a crap designer, and two crap mechanics. The "Low" expectation start said I'd start with a 3-Star car, but all of my car's stats were about 600 and pretty much bottomed out on the sliding scale. My "Beautiful" Driver is pretty abysmal, ranking 7 - 10 on all of her stats. My "Good" driver is maybe 30% better, ranking 9-12 on his stats. My backup driver is trash that I'll never use. I replaced one mechanic with a high-potential Performance engineer (he gains 7% per week on stats!), and the other with a high-potential Reliability engineer (only gains about 2% per week). I looked for generally good Concentration/Pit/Skill stats in hiring. I replaced my Engineer with the best unemployed one I could find, and he's churning out relatively good parts (I think).

Racing is doing okay. My team is currently ranked 9th and my Chairman is delighted with my performance. I've got $22m in the bank and bleed out $1.2m at the end of each race. I'm not actually sure I'm going to make it to the end of the season with a positive balance and may need to stop crafting new parts. My overall goal is to not place dead last and to enter the next season with some relatively good parts if I can make them. From what I've read, my "best" parts become my "base" parts on my car and they stop being illegal. To that end, I'm making some pretty risky components and simply not using them so they won't be banned. A level 2 Factory is underway and a Staff Facility is almost done. I don't have any other buildings as I opted to save on spending to focus on parts & people. My Mechanics are focused on making my existing parts as reliable and well-performing as they can be so I can use them in races, and working on my illegal parts so they transition to the next season in tip-top shape as a start.

We always place 19th and 20th in the Qualifiers, a good second or two behind the next-worst people. At race time, I'm struggling to stay above 16th place. My "Good" driver as "Gone Rogue" with my blessing and is actually doing pretty good for himself. My "Bad" driver is under my control and struggles to break 17th most of the time. Both are steadily gaining Morale, though, with the Good guy peaked at 95% right now and the Bad one at 60%. My Bad driver has wrecked twice in four races. The only time both drivers finished 15th and 16th was when 4 other competitors wrecked in one race. We were technically dead-last, but not as dead-last as people without cars. My sponsors don't give me much of anything per race, there are no good ones to choose from when you're at the bottom, hence the bleeding out.

So far, though, I'm really enjoying the game.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paingod wrote:So far, though, I'm really enjoying the game.
Glad you are liking it :D

I've put in 69 hours on the game myself, including a couple of dozen hours on the GT Racing DLC. I spend probably a real world hour at each race venue (or leading up to it). I would fully run (not simulate) the practice, qualifying, and race. I used the "Long Sessions" option so I can spend the time needed to tweak the setups in practice, get a couple runs in each of the three qualifying sessions and then run the race. I set the clock speed at the default slowest setting because I like to monitor tire temps, fuel load and component wear very carefully. This game really can satisfy the most devoted of racing tech geeks, abet in an abstract way in some area.

And I'll repeat, this is not a port of the mobile game! The PC very is much, much deeper.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
mori

Post by mori »

Playing this while it is free. I am having fun. Racing in the 3rd tier ERS with the second to worst car but I only have to not finish last to be successful. Only using my own knowledge of racing and race cars and have not looked at any guides. Nice economic sim in play as well. Trying to juggle between improving the car and building facilities for the future without going bankrupt.

I hate my #1 driver. He is always angry and his morale is low. If you were not content to finish in the second half of the field you should of signed with a better team. And your car is better than the #2 drivers so shut up about it :x .
mori

Post by mori »

Started the 2nd season and was able to afford better suppliers when designing the new car. Still not great but should of put me mid table consistently. Then I get a message that the competitors engine design, which was the best engine in the field, can be mine for a mere one million pounds. It took my car from a bottom feeder to the podium. Seems like there should of been more negative impact for effectively stealing another teams design than a financial hit which was still cheaper than trying to build an equivalent engine myself.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've certainly gotten my money's worth so far.

My hand-spun team is halfway through Season 2. I can safely say that the custom "Indie Startup" that gives you a "3-Star Car" is crap. I started with bottom-tier everything - rock bottom components when compared to other teams, and rock-bottom parts suppliers when building a car. I basically opted to handicap myself and my entire first season was an effort in creating a minor HQ (which I think another custom start provides up front). I can't imagine a more crippled start - I had (my only buildings) a Level 1 Factory and Level 1 Design Center, abysmal staff & drivers, 1-star Marketability, and $40m in the bank.

I ended Season 1 in 9th place with a complete BS "victory" in one race that earned me a staggering 4 Points - keeping me from the absolute bottom. The -only- reason I scored anything is because I rigged a single race by using Intermediate tires when everyone else was using Wets. It got me a massive lead while the roads were kind of damp, and then I switched to Wets as the rain picked up. I was still in the lead, but couldn't stay there as better cars and drivers zipped past me. I ended with one person in like 12th and another at 8th(?). I could have sat out every other race and had the same score at the end of the season.

My finances were comical - ending that last race with about $200,000 in the bank. I had stop parts design about halfway into the season, but had focused my efforts on Gears and Brakes. The infusion of $39m for winning 9th place was combined with $15m from car savings. I allotted $27m to a new car, and used the rest to jump-start a Level 3 Factory and a couple other buildings. I fired two of my drivers, dropping the "best" one down to Reserve and hired two new drivers with 3.7 to 4.3 Star potential. My Chairman renegotiated with me, and I promised to come in 9th this time instead of 10th, assuming it would be possible with a better car and two better drivers. All that left me with about $37m going into the new season, with a true "3-Star Car" and a pair of drivers worth using in it.

Now I'm halfway through the second season and I'm back to watching pennies. My team is in 7th place. Each race costs me about $2.3m, I have $19m in the bank, and 8 races left to go. I have a level 3 Factory and Level 2 Design Center, along with Staff, Telemetry, and Tourist buildings. Marketability is up to 70% and I'm getting sponsors with great signing bonuses but completely unobtainable goals. I'm using advice read elsewhere on waiting until race day to sign new sponsors as you do often get a better selection than just jumping at the one who shows up first.

As for the actual races, jztemple2 mentioned playing them out in real-time and managing drivers meticulously. I don't understand anything well enough for that. I've just boiled my strategy down to a few key elements:
  • Fine tune sliders in Practice until I've got 98-100% performance
  • Get 15% Race Trim bonus, and 15% mid-level tires bonus (sometimes the mid level is Soft or Super Soft)
  • Always completely fail at Qualifying for some reason, though I can place in the middle on Races and Practices
  • In races, I redline tires and fuel for 4 laps
  • Set gas back to Yellow until it's a positive number again. Toggle back and forth between "High" and "Medium" sometimes so I end the race with 0 laps
  • Pit for tires when they're about to hit 20%. As soon as I hit "Pit", I put the tires on redline and leave them there to burn them down
  • In early races, I replace a single part with each Pit to avoid having to replace two or three at once later
  • After pitting for my first tires, I run on Medium usage unless I see a lot of others burning theirs down around me (meaning I'll get to Pit again soon)
  • In the last couple of laps, I burn up any extra tire and fuel left
  • If everyone is in Wets and the weather predicts Intermediates will work for the first 4 laps, I switch to them and hammer a huge lead that slips through my fingers after switching to Wets before the roads are soaked
I don't really watch what's going on with both cars, tending to sit and watch my primary driver for the race. I generally place anywhere from 8th to 13th now with these drivers and cars. I expect to end the season on 6th or 7th place.

My only complaint in the game is that it takes about 45-60 minutes to get through a "Medium Length" race - from the point where the last ended to ending the next. With 16 races in each season, that's 12-16 hours of play - and the game requires that you spend a few seasons improving and moving up to get to the best cars and people (unless you just start with them, which can end with you at the bottom of the next rank up). It's time consuming, to be sure.
Black Lives Matter

mori

Post by mori »

Paingod wrote:My only complaint in the game is that it takes about 45-60 minutes to get through a "Medium Length" race - from the point where the last ended to ending the next. With 16 races in each season, that's 12-16 hours of play - and the game requires that you spend a few seasons improving and moving up to get to the best cars and people (unless you just start with them, which can end with you at the bottom of the next rank up). It's time consuming, to be sure.
Do not play Football Manager and go for the English Hero Achievement. That took me over 400 hours and I advanced relatively rapidly. In this game I am starting in the 3rd tier and trying to advance up and win the World Championship or whatever it is called. It is going to take me 4 seasons to get out of the 3rd tier with the 9th best team. I am a few races in season 3 and can get both my drivers in the top 10 consistently and should be getting consistent podiums by the 2/3 mark and maybe winning a couple by the end.

Needless to say I ended up paying for the game. I already got 20+ hours in and will likely play for 60-80 hours more so no brainer.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'll be sure to avoid that, then :D

I'm now 3 races from the end of Season 2, and I'm really hurting for having almost no engine development. I place "good" with my Gearbox, and "Fair" with Brakes, but still abysmal with everything else. Whatever mojo I had at the beginning of the season that let me fight to get 7th place in a few races was lost and I'm guessing other teams improved their cars enough to stay ahead of me - or I was simply better at not destroying my car than AI was before they improved the Reliability of their parts. I'm firmly in 8th place overall, but just three points shy of 7th. I don't think I'll get it. My last race of the night, I basically said "It doesn't matter, I'm going to place poorly" and in turn just stuck Medium tires on my cars with medium wear rate and medium fuel burn. Then I turned around to watch TV and only glanced back to make sure I didn't miss a need to Pit and then bumped Fuel to High for the last 10 laps. Comically, my drivers wouldn't let me accept that and fought by themselves to stay in 11th and 14th place. About as well as I had been doing when I was trying with Super Soft tires and hard pushing the car at the beginning of the race. I guess there's something to be said for "Slow and Steady" ...

At this point, I'm just ready for the Season to end so I can focus on improving my Engine and Suspension next season, leaving the Wings for last. I've made topping off the Performance and Reliability of all of my currently used (best) parts a priority. I have a potent "illegal" Gearbox simply sitting in my inventory that I don't want to lose and will be using it to set the bar for next year's component. My Level 3 Factory is done, and really helping with parts tweaking. I may make a cheap Engine or two to help prop me up going into next season, but they'll leave me in the red financially as I slide across the finish. Money spent now, money spent later - pretty much the same pool. I just need to not go below -$5m

*Edit 2017-03-29: Finishing Season 2 was a grueling 3-hour plod of uncaring "f&$k it" as I literally dozed off and let my drivers fail. I just needed to end the season as I didn't have funds to do anything other than get out and move on, and there was no way I was placing above or below 8th in the finish, netting $44m. I created a fresh save just before building my car and dumped about $34m into it, as well as getting two opportunities for Tyre Wear improvement (another $5m). My car is 5-star on Wear, 3-star on Heat, 3-star on Fuel, and 2-star on Improbability (which is +4 points to all stats per star, not a huge gain for a lot of money). I'm holding off on buildings for now and plan to spend the entire season dumping funds into parts research. My first race was a complete disaster for one driver, who came in dead last thanks to massive damage overload, and my other driver came in 3rd thanks to excellent Tyre Wear and his Mechanics' "Nurse" ability where parts wear down slower. Engine research is going as quickly as it can, and I plan to make a few quick engines (using -1 or more days to development time) before I stop and make at least one "Great" engine for my Drivers to use throughout the season. After that, Suspension. I suppose I could restart the game and simply give myself a great car and driver setup right from the beginning, but where's the challenge in that? One thing I have learned, though, is that I should run at least one parts upgrade on everything each season so I start the next season with a higher general baseline. Having great Brakes and Gearboxes hasn't done squat for me since my car so badly underperforms in every other way.

*Edit 2017-03-30: The strategy for Season 3 is to spread out my component upgrades and try to focus on Engine power as much as I can by the end of the season. Before the first race, I selected the parts my 1st Driver would use and sent them to the Factory for Reliability improvements. His parts were all in the 50's by the time the first race came around. My 2nd Driver has access to "Nurse" - which reduces part wear in races. Going into the race with 15% Race Trim and 15% Medium Tyre performance, and 5-star Tyre wear on the car I thought a long play would work well given how the other drivers fall apart in the first couple of races. It did work. Keeping my tyres on medium usage through the entire race, I was able to stretch them so I only needed to pit once for a fresh pair. Other cars had to pit for parts and tires, which I never did. I did alternate between "High" fuel use and "Medium" but that was it. As top competitors dropped and poor ones struggled to keep up with Hard tyres, I pulled a coup and ended the race with my two drivers in 2nd and 3rd place, only 5 seconds behind the 1st place car. Probably the best race I'll have all season. Sitting through 3 hours of "racing" while knowing I was going to be consistently useless burned me out though and I'm probably done playing for now. This is a long haul game, though, and I'll be returning to my save the next time I play instead of starting over. Still a good purchase - Steam tells me I've got 53 hours logged, which is good for my generally short attention span with games.
Black Lives Matter

mori

Post by mori »

One thing I really dislike about this game is contract negotiation. You find someone that is interested in joining the team, make an offer, they reject but do not make a counter offer, and you got one shot to get it right and likely overpay, or else they will never speak to you again. I like Football Manager where you have counter offers and have several rounds of negotiations and eventually find a middle ground.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've started up playing this again, using the new free DLC that allows you to create your own team. Now this isn't that great a thing if you are the kind to get frustrated... well, maybe I shouldn't be using it :doh:.

You start off with practically nothing at your HQ, a horrible car, a couple of two star journeyman drivers plus a slub reserve driver, a designer that has potential and two mechanics that probably will get better :roll:. At least you have a very understanding chairman who is fine with you finishing in tenth out of tenth on the season. I'm doing the GT Challenge series so I have the three session qualifying, which means I almost never get out of the first session when they drop the slowest five cars. So in practice I never worry about qualifying speed, I set up in Race Trim and tweak the cars to the best setups. In the races I plan the minimum number of pitstops and hope for some luck. I did get an eighth one time in my first four races, but normally I'm in the back of the field.

I am building a scouting facility since my three drivers are gone at the end of the season and it's really important to sign a good prospect who will come cheap, hopefully even a pay driver who can chip in some cash. I'm doing some development work on the parts during the season but it's crazy expensive when the only sponsor who will give me rewards for where I place is giving me only $76,000 a race, that's barely pays the caterer :|. I am putting away $600,000 a race (medium setting) for next year's car, so with some slightly decent parts I might be able to place better next year.

All in all this is like taking your pick-up weekend baseball friends and working your way up to the World Series :shock:. OK, maybe not that bad, but like I said, not the way to go if you get frustrated easily...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just had a cool thing happen. I got a message from the President of the GMA, inviting me for old times sake to pick a rule to propose for the following year. Now I'm torn because I can't decide which one I want the best. I have a sucky team and there is a rule that says the last placing team in a race gets $250,000 to help it. That would be nice, but I'm hoping next year to have a team that does better than tenth place. I can make the practice sessions longer, which might help me get better bonuses, but I don't know if that helps the AI teams too. Choices, choices...
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

I am really enjoying this game so far. I played a season to try to get the hang of the mechanics and restarted to try to take Predator Motorsports to the top.

LOL, I suck. Having fun though. finished dead last in my 1st season but was able to build a scouting facility and replaced both drivers (the new drivers constantly complain about how crap my cars are). Got a upgraded factory in the middle of the second season and my cars are slowly getting better. Currently in 8th place which has made my chairman ecstatic. Hope to be able to compete in the 3rd season.

Negotiations in salary really need more feedback. I am not ashamed to admit I save and reload to try to figure out what these people really want.
mori

Post by mori »

Finished the fourth season where I predicted earlier I would get promoted to the 2nd tier, I ended up finishing 5th. A position lower than the season before, and a position lower than I promised the chairwoman, and somehow I kept my job. Probably because I won the season finale. The season was interesting where we started out great. Managing races where everyone's reliability was crap, middle was complete crap, and the final third where my two main drivers decided to end their romantic relationship and come to fisticuffs in the pits. My #2 driver crashed out in 3 of the last 4 races.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Nothing you guys are saying should make me want to play this game, yet reading about it makes me want to play it. I'm sad I missed the free play weekend. I guess it goes on the wishlist.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's one of "those" games. You play it, you enjoy it, but you're not certain why. When I fire it up, I tell my wife I'm going to watch dots go around in circles for a while, though there's a lot more to it. I currently have 87 hours into this game.

I finished Season 3 in 6th place due to some great positioning in the first two races (where the best cars break down or pit for ages while they replace parts) by prioritizing parts that commonly fail for Reliability (Engine, Gearbox, Brakes) before the race and having a Mechanic with Nurse to string along an entire car without needing extensive repairs once. A few other races had some modest placing due to my excellent Tyre Wear Car stat + Driver Smoothness, coupled with being better than the AI at knowing when to Pit for Intermediates/Wets and back again. An interesting rule change in Season 2 also helped me, though I didn't know how - there would be 3 tiers for Qualifying, and the 1st tier would have to keep their tyres on when they started the race - so the top 10 had to pit before anyone else considered it.

Into Season 4, I picked up a new Reserve Driver (Pay Driver) so I can grab an extra $400,000 per race by using them for Practice. I re-signed my two "Good" drivers (3.8 and 4.2 Stars), and swapped out a Mechanic that was capped for one with more potential and also had Nurse (now I have two). In the long haul, she won't be a bad driver, but right now she shouldn't be anywhere near the track on race day. We also had a couple rules come in that should make things interesting. With my "Engine" stat dead last in the teams, some fool proposed "Spec Engines" and I jumped on it. Now we all have the same Engine stat! Some other fool also proposed that Qualifying is out, and your overall standing determines your placement - so the 10th place team gets 1st & 2nd position on the track. As a middling team now, this puts me in the middle - ahead of the best drivers - from the start. My car is starting with a 4.3 Star Tyre Wear, 4-Star Tyre Heating, 3-star Improvement, and 3-star Fuel Efficiency stat - this took $40m up front and another $5 in lucky rolls for random build events. Basically, my entire race winnings for placing 6th last season.

I like the new Qualifying rule since it saves a lot of my time. I -must- handle Practice by myself or the AI leaves me with cars at 70% performance. It only takes me 3-4 pits with each car to get 97+% performance, and the rest is spent mastering Race Trim and whatever tyre I think I want. When it came to Qualifying, because my car is so terrible, I ended up just Simulating it and getting my dead-last position each time to save time. Now with no Qualifying, I get stuffed into the middle of the pack to begin with (instead of fighting to get there) ... :D
mori wrote:One thing I really dislike about this game is contract negotiation. You find someone that is interested in joining the team, make an offer, they reject but do not make a counter offer, and you got one shot to get it right and likely overpay, or else they will never speak to you again. I like Football Manager where you have counter offers and have several rounds of negotiations and eventually find a middle ground.
I found this frustrating as well. My "fix" is to save it before sending the first proposal, then wait to see how they respond and re-load the game and adjust. Most of my contracts now are a mix of "Delighted" in less important things (contract length, race placement bonuses), and "Neutral" in other areas where cost is higher. Apparently, too, if your Drivers are really happy (mine always are), you can even negotiate them down in salary at the end of the season - at least, it's worked for me to step them down just one notch (or maybe I've been overpaying them for a couple years!). It might be cheating, but your budget is your lifeblood and you can't afford to piss it away accidentally.

Oh, I have to share this too. It didn't help me win much for a couple races, but had less impact than I thought it would. What's wrong with this picture?
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paingod wrote:Oh, I have to share this too. It didn't help me win much for a couple races, but had less impact than I thought it would. What's wrong with this picture?
Enlarge Image
Man, I wish I owned stock in a neck brace company :D
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It kind of annoys me that I seem to be guaranteed at least one neck injury during a season - even if someone doesn't wreck, they can get injured. 5 weeks of sidelining a good driver sucks, but so do their results if you don't sideline them, so...
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Seeing as they've had to tone down US open-wheel events because the drivers were complaining about lateral Gs in the turns, I can see how a neck injury can occur without a wreck.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:Nothing you guys are saying should make me want to play this game, yet reading about it makes me want to play it. I'm sad I missed the free play weekend. I guess it goes on the wishlist.
It was cheap so I bought. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I am about a third of the way through the second season with Predator Racing Group, the worst team in the worst series. Low expectations can be good.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Been a while, but there is news, Endurance Series DLC & FREE pit crews update out now!
Stirred by the thrilling title-clincher in Mexico, Motorsport Manager is back!
Meet the Endurance Series DLC – the massive new mode we’ve been dying to add to the game, bringing a whole new, thrilling Endurance Championship to your MM experience.

With six drivers per team to manage, an entirely new stamina system and some of the most beautiful cars in racing, we’ve taken this one up to the top step of the podium. What’s more, it’s out now!

Alongside, to mark coming up to a year since Motorsport Manager launched and thank our loyal and incredible community (that’s you!), we’ve released the Anniversary Update – a large, free add on which will bring fully-fledged pit crews to the game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just got a notice from Humble Bundle that Motorsports Manager is 66% off, in case anyone is interested.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I am awful at this game.

Enlarge Image

None of these were voluntary departures.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:41 pm I am awful at this game.

Enlarge Image

None of these were voluntary departures.
I haven't played it for a couple of years, but I put in over a hundred hours on MM and really enjoyed it. With the upcoming F1 Manager 2022 I thought I'd be able once again to scratch that race team management itch I've had, but I'm not certain that adding a lot of sizzle is going to make the game actually a good steak.

If there are more folks out there (besides me) who are interest in talking about F1 Manager 2022 I'll start a new thread, but I suspect I'm going to be pretty much on my own. Still, if I start posting about it I'm bound to convince someone else to buy it :wink:
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Nah im getting it, love me F1. Hope it's great
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Reemul wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:31 am Nah im getting it, love me F1. Hope it's great
I'll start a thread then at some point and post the developer videos. Remember if you pre-order you can get it five days early which is to say if you don't pre-order then they make you wait an additional five days :wink:
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Did not know that, I am on annual leave from 11-30th August so may be worth a pre order then
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's tough being the boss :D :wink:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm currently not getting fired from my Endurance B job.