Let’s try again, it worked so well las time [Texas Secession]

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Let’s try again, it worked so well las time [Texas Secession]

Post by hepcat »

You’re forgetting the weak link in all those things: people. They’re the ones causing the issues, not the tools we created in our attempt to protect us from ourselves.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:48 pm I've been thinking about it and I really do believe the only way to bring this country back from the brink is a new constitution. New constitution, new SC, New house, new leader. Maybe give the parliamentary system a shot?
And how, exactly, do we get the government to agree to that? How do we convince the Republicans who have finally achieved what they've been working on for the last 50 years to give up power?

If your answer involves a shooting war, storming Washington DC with tens of thousands of armed Democrats, etc, try again. That won't achieve what you're talking about, it'll just kill a few million people.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A new constitution has been on the right-wing wishlist for a number of years. They would dominate any method of selecting framers under our current system of representation.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:48 pm I've been thinking about it and I really do believe the only way to bring this country back from the brink is a new constitution. New constitution, new SC, New house, new leader. Maybe give the parliamentary system a shot?
Read what Kraken just wrote:
Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:49 pm A new constitution has been on the right-wing wishlist for a number of years. They would dominate any method of selecting framers under our current system of representation.
This wouldn’t be just wiping the Ultima Online servers and letting everyone start new characters. Even your pipe dream would start with each state providing representation and we would immediately create a system where Idaho and California have equal voices.

And that’s just about the results.

I assume you understand your wish would never happen short of a protracted civil war that basically wipes out both sides.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Just using some broad numbers here. Feel free to imagine I used correct ones, if you think I’m off. Doesn’t really change my point.

About 70 million Americans are perfectly happy with how things are trending.
About 80 million Americans are not.

The number of people not even in the game are enough to cover that 10 million person buffer and we don’t yet know if that body of people are:
More inclined to stay asleep (favors R)
More inclined to go with the flow (favors R)
More inclined to push back (favors D)

Sadly I feel they are very very likely filled with the first two types.

I’m not sure what I’m trying to say, just struck me that even the citizens of this country would likely fail us, if they had a free shot at a total ‘re-do’.

We (US Americans) aren’t the people we like to say or imagine we are.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think you underestimate how many left leaning people are in the 'stay asleep' camp.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:36 am I think you underestimate how many left leaning people are in the 'stay asleep' camp.
Oh not at all. My ‘favors R’ label means that group’s existence favors the Republicans, because they just want to stay asleep.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, you made it sound like you were saying those people were in favor of the Republicans, as opposed to their methods benefitting the Republicans, views aside.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:24 am
Read what Kraken just wrote:
Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:49 pm A new constitution has been on the right-wing wishlist for a number of years. They would dominate any method of selecting framers under our current system of representation.
This wouldn’t be just wiping the Ultima Online servers and letting everyone start new characters. Even your pipe dream would start with each state providing representation and we would immediately create a system where Idaho and California have equal voices.

And that’s just about the results.

I assume you understand your wish would never happen short of a protracted civil war that basically wipes out both sides.
So we don't use our current system of representation. Garbage in garbage out. Try something more directly proportional.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

In my ideal and unreasonable and not at all workable solution we would see the left coast secede, and a lot of states, barring the south follow them. We then work out a constitution without their input and offer to let them in under THAT constitution. If they refuse we let them go their own way WITHOUT assistance. In a decade or less they come crawling back as failed states. We then let them in under our constitution on a reconstruction (that THEY COMPLETELY FUND) basis.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:43 pm In my ideal and unreasonable and not at all workable solution we would see the left coast secede, and a lot of states, barring the south follow them. We then work out a constitution without their input and offer to let them in under THAT constitution. If they refuse we let them go their own way WITHOUT assistance. In a decade or less they come crawling back as failed states. We then let them in under our constitution on a reconstruction (that THEY COMPLETELY FUND) basis.
All of your scenarios get just one chance and require rolling a natural 20.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The odds aren't even that good.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Also, please, for the love of Jebus, look at a political map. The red states are not even close to just ‘the south’ anymore.

And yes, it’s a sore point with me.

Still, look at a damn map.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:01 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:43 pm In my ideal and unreasonable and not at all workable solution we would see the left coast secede, and a lot of states, barring the south follow them. We then work out a constitution without their input and offer to let them in under THAT constitution. If they refuse we let them go their own way WITHOUT assistance. In a decade or less they come crawling back as failed states. We then let them in under our constitution on a reconstruction (that THEY COMPLETELY FUND) basis.
All of your scenarios get just one chance and require rolling a natural 20.
Yes yes and yes to the last three posts, you're right. Natural 20. I admit its a slim chance. Almost a non existent chance. I admit to all that. Do you guys have a legitimate workable alternative plan though? Biden could have a lot of smart people around him right now, either working on a plan to make what I said above happen, or working to engineer a non violent breakup of the US so that we have a soft landing, or maybe something I haven't thought about yet.

He isin't doing that. If I could make a point in all of the stuff I post, its this. Our salvation isn't coming from within the system. Organizing resistance (in whatever capacity you have, it doesn't have to be violent to be impactful), setting up mutual aid and defense groups and organizing ways to degrade the impact of those who are trying to bring us back to Gilead will.

Our solution may be to as individuals, commit two acts of defiance aimed at the system. Violent, non violent, logistics, driving protestors around, convincing a committed Trumper to direct his or her fear and anger towards a legitimate target (because getting them not to fear and anger may be a lost cause). Legal or illegal, your call. And then convincing two others to do the same.

Two acts of defiance, talk two others into two acts of defiance, etc etc. This is a good way to build a network. To go outside your comfort zone, organize, fight and hamper the fascists at whatever you can get your fingernails into. Small acts snowball into a network of increasingly confident agents who will continue to fight a rear guard action until things reach a breaking point on a larger scale.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holy crap! Why doesn't the left donate and campaign for Texas to secede? Also for California Oregon and Washington to immediately follow?

The United States would be so busy we might just be able to sneak out the back door!

We could put it on the ballot as a trigger. Texas secedes and we follow in a week or so.