Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:40 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:38 am MK9 info?
Only thing I can figure here is Mortal Kombat 9, but that can't be right.
You aren't a nintendo guy huh? Mario Kart
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:41 pm
Ah.

I had the Wii U Mario Kart game. Kids liked it, I thought it was mostly meh. That's the only one I've played.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:45 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:41 pm
Ah.

I had the Wii U Mario Kart game. Kids liked it, I thought it was mostly meh. That's the only one I've played.
Funny you mention that, as that's why folks are itching for MK9 info--the one you played on Wii U is the only one on Switch (in a Deluxe iteration including the Wii U's DLC). I want me a new MK.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...that will be basically the same as the one you already have which is probably why they haven't bothered.

It's sad to me to think of how the NES and SNES were such a huge part of my becoming a gamer and now Nintendo has so little draw for me. Monster Lab[2008] on Wii was last Nintendo game I got excited about (and wiki tells me it was also on PS2).

I mean I guess I also got excited about Mario Tennis and Mario vs Rabbids, but neither really grabbed me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:55 pm ...that will be basically the same as the one you already have which is probably why they haven't bothered.
MK8 is significantly changed from MK Wii which was the prior one I played. For whatever reason both sucked me in pretty hard.

Regarding the rest of your post, if BotW, the Metroids, and the 3D Marios also don't do it for you, I can see why you'd prefer other platforms! I'm in the fun place of enjoying all of those, as well as the portability of the console / 3rd-party plethora of games.

In addition to Arceus, I've recently been hooked on Tetris Effect, Sky Force Reloaded, Metroid Dread, Monster Train, with Hades and Streets of Rage 4 preceding those. My kids still love Animal Crossing and the Mario Party series.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:00 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:55 pm ...that will be basically the same as the one you already have which is probably why they haven't bothered.
MK8 is significantly changed from MK Wii which was the prior one I played. For whatever reason both su
Lolz, Big N agrees with you--they announced a Booster Course Pass for $25, which will include 48 remastered courses from prior MK games. Included in the Switch Online Expansion Pack sub.

Other big entries: Splatoon 3, Advance Wars Reloaded, No Man's Sky, Mario Strikers, Switch Sports, Metroid Prime one-hit difficulty mode, boss rush mode, and novice mode.

OH, AND XENOBLADE 3! I'll take it.

Nothing on BotW3 or Prime Remastered.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Advance Wars Reloaded will definitely be a day one buy. Great game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Torfish wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:46 pm Advance Wars Reloaded will definitely be a day one buy. Great game.
Same.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:40 pm
I’m sure I’ll be in, even though I’ve never actually finished either of the previous games. :oops:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:40 pm Nothing on BotW3 or Prime Remastered.
BotW3? Damn man, you are greedy!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:00 pm
I’m sure I’ll be in, even though I’ve never actually finished either of the previous games. :oops:
Samesies. I get a few dozen hours out of them, though.
coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:09 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:40 pm Nothing on BotW3 or Prime Remastered.
BotW3? Damn man, you are greedy!
Dammit.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:00 pm
I finished part 2 and I'm glad I did because I did not see the end coming. As for Part 1, I have tried to finish it multiple times and I even have the remaster but I always stall out around 30 hours in.
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rumor mill is that Splatoon might be delayed, as Xenoblade 3 just moved up.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've actually been putting back a few dollars every month toward one of the new OLED models ($25 each month if nothing gets in the way.) We have a Switch (thanks, Z!), but as soon as it arrived, Ian adopted it, and he tries to flay your flesh if you get to close to it. I've been doing a soft reboot of my gaming style, and I've been having the urge to get back into JRPGs after ~20 years away. Octopath Traveler, for instance, has really caught my eye, despite my usual disdain for retro graphics (the effects they apply to them are really appealing.) With our current situation, the ability to move from the living room TV to the old TV in the bedroom would make playing a console a lot more practical, as I'm unable to use the living room TV most of the time now.

I'm actually not too many months away!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

The new sports game came out last night and I played a quick game of volleyball. Pretty fun stuff, reminds me of the good old Wii days since you had to move your arms around. Surprised it hasn't gained much attention anywhere, I would have thought all the old Wii gamers would eat it up.

https://nintendoswitchsports.nintendo.c ... 01:ch=pdpd
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I did preorder it and plan to fire it up with my kids this weekend. Appreciate the early impressions.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nintendo is destroying my wallet this week... Their 'Big Ol Super sale' is happening now, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge just hit, Portal is now on Switch, and Octopath Traveler is one of the sale games. Some highlights from my perspective:

Mario Odyssey, Link's Awakening, Octopath all 30% off.
Diablo II: Resurrected, Hades, Tetris Effect, Monster Hunter Rise 40% off.
Dark Souls 50% off.
Immortals Fenyx Rising (terrible name, fun game) 75% off.
Mario + Rabbids (didn't catch me, but lots of folks love it) 80% off.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Woo, Octopath 2!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And a new Final Fantasy Theatrhythm. :wub: Was one of my favorites on DS, can’t wait for this kupo!

JCC

Post by JCC »

Damn, was hoping the rumors about Zelda WW and TP HD and/or Metroid Prime HD for Switch were going to be true.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

And a new Fire Emblem - with old characters returning. I'm in!

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

rittchard wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:18 pm The new sports game came out last night and I played a quick game of volleyball. Pretty fun stuff, reminds me of the good old Wii days since you had to move your arms around. Surprised it hasn't gained much attention anywhere, I would have thought all the old Wii gamers would eat it up.

https://nintendoswitchsports.nintendo.c ... 01:ch=pdpd
picked up switch sports for the family over christmas. Had a lot of fun with badmitton, but now my arm is sore. I am probably swinging way too hard. We got a cheap pack of controller add ons, includes tennis racket, golf club, sword, they are plastic shells the controllers snap into. I like them, the swords look like master sword.

my only complaint, it looks like the only way to earn new outfits and equipment options is o play online with strangers. and that makes me sad.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:lol: :lol:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Switch is now the third-best-selling console of all time. 122,000,000 sold. Switch would need to sell another 27% to overtake the PS2 and DS. I'm not sure that will happen, but it seems Nintendo has plans for at least another year or two before moving to a new console.

Side note: if that new console is anything other than a streamlined, backwards-compatible Switch with a large boost to its specs, they crazy. This is already the perfect console, minus its outdated innards.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:56 pm

Side note: if that new console is anything other than a streamlined, backwards-compatible Switch with a large boost to its specs, they crazy. This is already the perfect console, minus its outdated innards.
I agree. If they can just make the next one as powerful or even more powerful than a Steam Deck then they will print money.
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yep. I think my ideal Switch 2 would nuke the bezels, increase the screen size while keeping it under 1 lb with Joy-Cons attached (yes, they basically did these things with the Switch OLED already--6.2" to 7.0". I'd love 7.5" for my old-man eyes), and pop the procs/GPU up from their current 2012 family (5 years old when the Switch launched) to, say 2019 (5 years old for a theoretical 2024 Switch 2 launch).

That'd take it from 1 GHz (!), 4 GB RAM (!!), and Maxwell GPU to something capable of a whole lot more. I don't know about the market in general, but I'd sure pay $399 for a new Switch if it ratcheted up the specs for the next 5 years.

I've gotten a crazy amount of use out of my Switch since I got it 5.5 years ago.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:56 pm Side note: if that new console is anything other than a streamlined, backwards-compatible Switch with a large boost to its specs, they crazy. This is already the perfect console, minus its outdated innards.
Completely agree. Of course this is Nintendo so I don't have much hope for that.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:50 pm Yep. I think my ideal Switch 2 would nuke the bezels, increase the screen size while keeping it under 1 lb with Joy-Cons attached (yes, they basically did these things with the Switch OLED already--6.2" to 7.0". I'd love 7.5" for my old-man eyes), and pop the procs/GPU up from their current 2012 family (5 years old when the Switch launched) to, say 2019 (5 years old for a theoretical 2024 Switch 2 launch).

That'd take it from 1 GHz (!), 4 GB RAM (!!), and Maxwell GPU to something capable of a whole lot more. I don't know about the market in general, but I'd sure pay $399 for a new Switch if it ratcheted up the specs for the next 5 years.

I've gotten a crazy amount of use out of my Switch since I got it 5.5 years ago.
I agree on the specs. Heck the Switch is essential a portable WiiU in terms of power and the WiiU came out over 10 years ago.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Until they move the buttons to match xbox/ps button locations, I can never be a switch fan. If OK and back are in the wrong place, I am apparently lost. Also I have no need for mobile gaming and little interest in anything nintendo exclusive, so feel free to ignore me. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:18 pm Until they move the buttons to match xbox/ps button locations, I can never be a switch fan. If OK and back are in the wrong place, I am apparently lost. Also I have no need for mobile gaming and little interest in anything nintendo exclusive, so feel free to ignore me. :D
I shall remove myself from your lawn presently.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Some highlights from today's Direct:

Metroid Prime Remastered out today. (!)

Advance Wars Reboot Camp April.

Octopath 2 demo today.

Game Boy / GBA added to Switch Online.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Metroid Prime in HD makes me so happy! I can also get rid of my GBA emulator finally.

I will hopefully checkout Metroid Prime HD tonight.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

I am mildly surprised that Prime doesn't cost $60. (It's $40.) I am downloading it now. (Very slowly.)
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JCC wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:23 pm I am mildly surprised that Prime doesn't cost $60. (It's $40.) I am downloading it now. (Very slowly.)
Will love to hear your impressions. My guess is they thought why sell the remastered trilogy for $60 when you can sell it for $120 leading into Prime 4...

On the bright side:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Was excited to hear they'll be remastering Baten Kaitos 1 & 2. No idea if they've held up over the years, but I remember really enjoying both of those games on the Gamecube.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:52 am Will love to hear your impressions. My guess is they thought why sell the remastered trilogy for $60 when you can sell it for $120 leading into Prime 4...
I started a (perhaps unneeded) separate thread below. Short version: I love it.
Black Lives Matter

A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Nintendo has a sale on right now with Baldur's gate/Baldurs gate2 enhanced editions on sale for $12.49. It would just be me, the kid has switched to PC gaming primarily. I never had the chance to play these on the PC, but always heard they were good, but very involved.

I know it is a good deal (regularly $50 for the two) but are they playable ports on the switch? too hard to control with switch joycons?

Thanks.

Nonny
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't have it, but I took a quick look at BGII on the Steam Deck, and then on the Switch. Glowing reviews on the Switch and OK reviews on the Deck.

You're probably safe (even if the switch reviews are a little too excited imo).

That said, I hope someone with real experience can weigh in.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't want to play it on the Switch, but I'm actually curious how they handled the complexity of the controls for the combat. There was a lot of pausing and jumping through menus/bars in those games.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)