Chrome browser blocking spectrum.net site?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Chrome browser blocking spectrum.net site?

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm trying to set up my wife's computer to access spectrum.net so she can pay our bill there. I can access the website via my Firefox browser and my Microsoft Edge browser on my rig. On her machine, I can access it via her Microsoft Edge browser (which she doesn't use), but when I try to use her favorite browser Chrome and go to spectrum.net all I get is an endless spinning circle :?

I don't recall having this issue on any other site on her browser. Anyone have an idea on what's causing this and how to fix it? I've already cleared cookies, not that there were any old ones, and I've added the website as an exception to the AV software, although I have no reason to believe the AV is blocking it since I would get a message. Any help would be appreciated.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Chrome browser blocking spectrum.net site?

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:00 pm I'm trying to set up my wife's computer to access spectrum.net so she can pay our bill there. I can access the website via my Firefox browser and my Microsoft Edge browser on my rig. On her machine, I can access it via her Microsoft Edge browser (which she doesn't use), but when I try to use her favorite browser Chrome and go to spectrum.net all I get is an endless spinning circle :?

I don't recall having this issue on any other site on her browser. Anyone have an idea on what's causing this and how to fix it? I've already cleared cookies, not that there were any old ones, and I've added the website as an exception to the AV software, although I have no reason to believe the AV is blocking it since I would get a message. Any help would be appreciated.
Does she have any Chrome extensions installed that could be blocking the site? Sounds like a script or ad-blocking extension may be preventing the site from loading correctly.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:34 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:00 pm I'm trying to set up my wife's computer to access spectrum.net so she can pay our bill there. I can access the website via my Firefox browser and my Microsoft Edge browser on my rig. On her machine, I can access it via her Microsoft Edge browser (which she doesn't use), but when I try to use her favorite browser Chrome and go to spectrum.net all I get is an endless spinning circle :?

Does she have any Chrome extensions installed that could be blocking the site? Sounds like a script or ad-blocking extension may be preventing the site from loading correctly.
Nope, I thought of that. She's a newbie with browsers, probably wouldn't even know what I'm talking about :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Anonymous Bosch

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:36 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:34 pm Does she have any Chrome extensions installed that could be blocking the site? Sounds like a script or ad-blocking extension may be preventing the site from loading correctly.
Nope, I thought of that. She's a newbie with browsers, probably wouldn't even know what I'm talking about :roll:
Try this, and see if it helps:
  • Click the three-dot menu in your browser, and select Settings.
  • Click Privacy and security > Security.
  • Scroll down and enable Use secure DNS.
  • Click the With option, and from the drop-down menu choose Cloudflare (1.1.1.1).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:49 pm Try this, and see if it helps:
  • Click the With option, and from the drop-down menu choose Cloudflare (1.1.1.1).
Wow, sounded good, but still no help :(
Anonymous Bosch

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:14 pm
Just to reiterate, what exactly do you see listed when you click the three-dot menu in Chrome, and then select Extensions? Is there nothing listed there whatsoever?

Also, what AV software are you using on that system?
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, this is interesting. I just signed in to my account on spectrum.net through my Firefox browser and it worked fine as it has been. However, at the top of the page was this message in a red box:
An outage is affecting Spectrum websites. We're doing everything we can to fix the problem as soon as possible. Last updated 2:28 PM ET on February 28.
Now could it be possible to sign in through the same URL on different browsers and go to intermediate different websites? If so, that might explain the issues. I'll post back if the Chrome browser connection starts working.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:39 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:14 pm
Just to reiterate, what exactly do you see listed when you click the three-dot menu in Chrome, and then select Extensions? Is there nothing listed there whatsoever?
There were the usual Chrome extensions to allow you to edit Google docs and the like right in the browser. I don't think they would be an issue, but I deleted them anyway so there would be no extensions at all and tried again with no success. But as you can see in the previous post, maybe there is a different culprit.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

If you try to access the page in Chrome via IP instead of URL (http://52.4.146.144) - does it work?
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I'm able to connect to my Spectrum account through Chrome I don't think they are having browser specific issues.

Try opening the page in an incognito window. I know you cleared cookies but there could be something corrupted in the cache that also may need to be cleared out.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gilraen wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:56 pm Image

If you try to access the page in Chrome via IP instead of URL (http://52.4.146.144) - does it work?
Nope, no joy.
Biyobi wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:05 pm I'm able to connect to my Spectrum account through Chrome I don't think they are having browser specific issues.

Try opening the page in an incognito window. I know you cleared cookies but there could be something corrupted in the cache that also may need to be cleared out.
Ding, ding, ding!!! That worked!!! :D :horse:. So I then went into the Security tab and cleared out the cache and now Spectrum loads in a normal window. Awesome solution.

Thanks to everyone who helped!! :wub: