NFL 2021 Postseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: NFL 2021 Postseason

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:11 pm Why feed the troll?
I don't think he's intentionally trolling, but obviously I could be wrong. I HIGHLY suspect that many of his posts come across that way because he IS that way - he has a specific mindset/values set that again, is super critical, and has ZERO tolerance for mistakes or "badness" of any kind. Anything less than perfect is trash.

And lest this sound like preaching or whatnot, I say these things based on the "takes one to know one" clause/law/whatever. :D

OK, who's next in line to sit in Dr. Phil's lap? Step right up!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:42 am HOLD UP GUYS. My son told me yesterday evening that a bunch of boys in his 4th grade class said that the Bengals cheated against the Chiefs. I am sure that the NFL will promptly investigate. #StopTheSteal

Just tell the 4th graders that he clearly completed the process of the run and then made a non-football move, thus ending the play.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What happens on that play if instead of throwing the ball down he hands it to the ref? Can the Chiefs try to strip the ball from the ref? Can the ref run it back to score for the team of his choice?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:38 pm What happens on that play if instead of throwing the ball down he hands it to the ref? Can the Chiefs try to strip the ball from the ref? Can the ref run it back to score for the team of his choice?
It becomes a 4-point REFerendum try. The line judges become defenders at that point and the Bengals and Chiefs become game officials.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:21 pm OK, who's next in line to sit in Dr. Phil's lap? Step right up!
I sure don't want to sit on the carpet.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:27 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:21 pm OK, who's next in line to sit in Dr. Phil's lap? Step right up!
I sure don't want to sit on the carpet.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is pretty great.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Whoever came up with the new name for the Washington Football Team really failed to do their research.

The Commanders? Really?

I'm not sure what's worse, the Handmaid's Tale connection or the fact their nickname will inevitably be The Commies. :mrgreen:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:20 am This is pretty great.

So the Bengals have "WHO DEY" while the Saints have "WHO DAT"? Any other variants on this? Do any fan bases share the same variant of "they / them"?
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There's a joke in there about answering 'Who dis?' for the Browns or Lions, since no one would ordinarily call. But I can't make it work.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Justin Herbert named the Offensive MVP in his first Pro Bowl (though the game is now a complete joke). The legend is growing.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The game has always been a complete joke.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Here we are at Super Bowl Sunday. Rams favored over the Burrows by 4.5. I will take the Rams minus the points. The Titans sacked Burrow 9 (!) times, but had no offense. Rams have an offense.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This game is zzzzzzzzzzzz…
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The game has been ok but that half time show was amazing. Top to bottom great.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, that was such blatant offensive PI (on the Cinci TD, not the INT).
malchior wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:26 pm The game has been ok but that half time show was amazing. Top to bottom great.
If you say so. I thought Eminem’s vocals continuing to play after he lowered his mic was a nice touch. ;)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Oooh, the game is starting to pick up! :pop:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It was okay, I guess. On to watching the monobob!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congrats to Stafford.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sloppy finish. But the Bengals had to grab Kupp on essentially every play.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

malchior wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:56 pm
Eh that missed offensive pass interference was super bad. Seems like they were paying it back. That's why I can't take football too seriously. It's so impacted by the refs it's ridiculous.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fun 2nd half, glad to see the Rams win.

And now the long, dreary football-less wasteland begins. :(
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really should get back into hockey. I used to freaking love it and stopped watching after they had the strike and never went back. By far the best sport to see in person.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:06 pm
Eh that missed offensive pass interference was super bad. Seems like they were paying it back. That's why I can't take football too seriously. It's so impacted by the refs it's ridiculous.
When they called that first hold in that sequence I thought it was tetchy. After a few more I felt a couple of the refs had suddenly developed a different metric for contact than had been enforced all game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Octavious wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:08 pm I really should get back into hockey. I used to freaking love it and stopped watching after they had the strike and never went back. By far the best sport to see in person.
Or on TV.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:07 pm Fun 2nd half, glad to see the Rams win.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:12 pm
Octavious wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:08 pm I really should get back into hockey. I used to freaking love it and stopped watching after they had the strike and never went back. By far the best sport to see in person.
Or on TV.
Back in the day with crappy tvs it was kind of hard to follow. Now there's really no excuse.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve tried, but any sport with more than 20 games in a regular season is just a no-go for me. I just can’t generate any interest in any particular game and don’t have the patience to pay attention to a whole season.

I’ll usually tune in a bit more during the playoffs, but my attention even tends to waiver significantly even in a 7 game series.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My problem is that I don't know ANYONE in the league anymore. Hell I don't even think I know all the teams anymore. :lol:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:16 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:07 pm Fun 2nd half, glad to see the Rams win.

:hand:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Zaxxon wrote:
Or on TV.
Hockey is the best live sport, but football is the best TV sport. For me at least.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote:
Well they evened things on that weak ass holding call on Wilson on the Rams last drive, which extended the drive that eventually won it

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hearing now that Weddle ruptured his pec in the first quarter, and played the rest of the game. Damn :shock:

Good thing he’s got plenty of time to recover.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

McNutt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:17 am
Zaxxon wrote:
Or on TV.
Hockey is the best live sport, but football is the best TV sport. For me at least.
I'm as big of a hockey fan as there is. There's no question it loses a fair amount in the televised product. Higher resolution broadcasting helps, but the angles used end up throwing away a decent amount of context for the game. Good announcers can help bring that back some, but across the league the quality of broadcast pairs has a wide range of quality.

Hockey's biggest issue is there's a lot of institutional knowledge that isn't inherently obvious to new fans. It'd be a lot like me tuning into a random cricket match. I wouldn't expect the announcers to explain everything to me like it was my first game (though it would be). There's a lot of beauty in hockey for what it is, but a new fan would suffer greatly for not knowing a lot of the whys behind how things are playing out. I haven't watched any Kraken broadcasts this year (though John Forslund was one of the best from Carolina), so maybe they've been doing that for their new fans.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

McNutt wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:17 am
Zaxxon wrote:
Or on TV.
I think football is one of the worst TV sports because you virtually never see enough in one shot. They're either showing you the QB scanning the field, but not what he's looking at, or the receivers down the field, but not what's happening with the QB. It's an entirely different viewing experience in person. Moving aspect ratios from 4:3 to 16:9 helped, but not nearly enough.

This is the case in hockey, as well, but not to the same extent, IMO.

Then there's the structural issues with football and basketball, where the ends of halves/games slow to a crawl if the game is at all close, and challenges happen often even with a very slim chance of winning them. Less noticeable in person when there's stadium entertainment happening, but drives me nuts on TV. Give me hockey's increase in tension near the end of close contests, with goalies being pulled, very limited timeouts, and failed challenges costing in-game penalty minutes rather than a measly one-of-many timeouts.

I'd argue that if hockey's not the best TV sport, maybe it's baseball--the whole field is at least shown frequently during plays. I have trouble with baseball's snail pace when not viewing in person, though.
The Meal wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:45 am I'm as big of a hockey fan as there is. There's no question it loses a fair amount in the televised product. Higher resolution broadcasting helps, but the angles used end up throwing away a decent amount of context for the game. Good announcers can help bring that back some, but across the league the quality of broadcast pairs has a wide range of quality.
Agree. I think this is even more of an issue with football, though.
Hockey's biggest issue is there's a lot of institutional knowledge that isn't inherently obvious to new fans. It'd be a lot like me tuning into a random cricket match. I wouldn't expect the announcers to explain everything to me like it was my first game (though it would be). There's a lot of beauty in hockey for what it is, but a new fan would suffer greatly for not knowing a lot of the whys behind how things are playing out.
Also agreed, but this is a massive issue with football, as well.

Bottom line for me is every sport loses something when viewing on TV, but I think football loses more than most.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

For a game that came down to the last drives, it felt really low-energy throughout and anticlimactic at the end. Part of that may be due to the refs deciding that they actually existed in the last minutes (the first holding call was terrible), but I'm not sure that can explain all of it. It all just felt very casual and low-stakes.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:09 am Image
I'll take that all day long. Stafford was frustrating at times but he always put it all out there. Good guy by all accounts.

He was able to escape alive, will never blame him for that.

MYT