NCAA Football 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: NCAA Football 2021

Post by ImLawBoy »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:06 pm I'm guessing ND goes to the Cincy well again and goes after Luke Fickell. I can't really see him saying no unless he thinks Ryan Day is going somewhere.
What if Ryan Day goes to ND? :o

I actually saw someone suggesting that on Twitter last night. Normally I'd dismiss that out of hand, but before last night I also would have dismissed out of hand the idea of Kelly going to LSU, so who knows?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Someone....

Anyone...

Please take Bill O'Brien from us. We will toss in a defensive coordinator with the deal.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msduncan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:17 am Someone....

Anyone...

Please take Bill O'Brien from us. We will toss in a defensive coordinator with the deal.
I have a feeling BOB will be nudged to find an NFL coordinator or asst coach job in the NFL next year.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:17 am Someone....

Anyone...

Texas might ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:11 pm ND needs to join a conference.
If they do, it's the ACC - they have a contract that says it will be the ACC's choice, for at least a few years. But I don't think they will (in football, that is). If the CFP expands, they are in a better spot than just about anyone.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:11 pm If they do, it's the ACC - they have a contract that says it will be the ACC's choice, for at least a few years. But I don't think they will (in football, that is). If the CFP expands, they are in a better spot than just about anyone.
Yes they are locked into the ACC for a while for sure - though they could wait it out until the buyout isn't too onerous. And I agree, if they expand the playoff their ability to make it will increase a lot. The only reason Notre Dame should join a conference is if NBC quits buying their home games and no other network steps up to buy them. (I don't know about 2021, but last year the NBC ND game ratings were up, so I doubt NBC is looking to drop them any time soon.) I can't imagine that happening unless the Power 5 unilaterally decided to stop playing them until they join a conference - but that would never happen since only one conference would benefit from that. If ND's ratings improbably erode then maybe it would be in their interest to join a conference OR if the power 5 ever decides to form their own playoff independent from the G5 and denies independents (ie. Notre Dame as the only relevant one left at that point) admission. In that event, I am sure the Big 10 would be their top choice assuming the cost to leave the ACC isn't too high (I doubt it would be). ND has zero motivation to give up independence in football right now. Even if playoff expansion is delayed (we will know very soon if that will happen), I would expect them to wait it out since it will definitely happen eventually.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It's Game Day, this time for all the marbles. A trip to the Rose Bowl on the line.

The BUF (battered Utah fan) in me is nervous as hell. We've clunked in the last two conference championship games, getting run out of the building by Oregon in 2019. I'm sure I'll be watching this one through my fingers like a horror movie, with butterflies in my stomach the entire time. I know I should be pretty confident given what happened when we played them a couple weeks ago, but I'm still really nervous.

This Utah team feels different though. We're relatively healthy this time, which we haven't been either of the previous CCGs. This team seems to be on a mission ever since Aaron Lowe was killed after the Wazzu game. They're more focused, they're more physical, and they seem to be really dialed in to complete this run. When we dismantled Oregon, both our lines absolutely dominated Oregon physically, and I'm not sure if that's something you can scheme to change in a couple weeks.

Oregon feels different as well. Anthony Brown and Troy Dye are not Justin Herbert and CJ Verdell (the duo we faced in the last CCG). They're pretty dinged up, there's all sorts of rumblings that both Cristobal and their OC may be headed elsewhere, and I wonder if they'll have the same motivation. They're still a very good team, but they're not quite the force that they were in 2019.

Regardless, this Utah team has wildly overachieved this year, especially given what they've been up against. It's one of my favorite Utah squads, regardless of what happens tonight. If we can come out physical like we did a couple weeks ago and limit the stupid mistakes, I think we've got a really good shot.

Still...pray for my mental state today. ;)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:30 pm
Regardless, this Utah team has wildly overachieved this year, especially given what they've been up against. It's one of my favorite Utah squads, regardless of what happens tonight. If we can come out physical like we did a couple weeks ago and limit the stupid mistakes, I think we've got a really good shot.

Still...pray for my mental state today. ;)
These are my favorite teams to watch - the teams which come out of nowhere to excel. And in Utah's case, with all the tragedies? Yeah, incredible - the CFP committee has been drastically under-rating you for over a month - just look at the Vegas odds on a neutral field. Be prepared to book a Pasadena trip for NYD tonight (flying into BUR is best - plus you get to walk on the tarmac there, always a great experience!).

Good luck!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Wow. With all the Coaching News, this slipped under my radar - Bronco Mendenhall resigning at UVa:
Thursday's decision was half Jack Kerouac and half sensitivity training. Mendenhall began the Zoom basically telling reporters there was something more to life.

"It's 31 years of straight football," the coach said of his career. "And my wife and I will have been married 25 years in March. All we've known is the rhythm of a football season."

He said it like it was a negative, like there had to be something more out there. Mendenhall ended the session offering reporters riding lessons … just not for free.

"I don't know what's next," he said. "I would love to say I didn't decide until I had a plan. I don't have a plan."

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah just announced that Aaron Lowe's mother has been designated as an honorary team captain for tonight's game.

It just got a bit dusty in here. :cry:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Oregon learned nothing from the first game.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:Utah just announced that Aaron Lowe's mother has been designated as an honorary team captain for tonight's game.

It just got a bit dusty in here. :cry:
Grats on the win tonight
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I don't think I can lose tomorrow. I want Houston to win, but I also want to see a non power 5 school in the playoff. I suppose the selection committee could try to screw over an undefeated Cincy, but who would they put in? Cincy beat Notre Dame. Beating Houston has got to be at least as impressive as Oklahoma State beating Baylor again.

Also, go Dawgs. Get that elephant off your back. I have high confidence that BOB can choke away another big game.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah. Is. Going. To. The. Rose. Bowl.

I know that's old hat for lots of you guys, but I honestly never thought I'd say those words.

When I was a kid, my dad and I used to walk up to Utah's (then) Rice Stadium 5 minutes before game time and get a seat pretty much anywhere we wanted for about $5. Utah football was just a bunch of lovable losers that no one really cared about. The Rose Bowl? That was something neat that we all watched from home, but actually playing in it was never even the slightest thought in the back of our minds.

To go from that to seeing Utah with roses in their teeth after destroying a top 10 team for the 2nd time in two weeks was absolutely surreal. For it to be this team in this situation is something truly special. TJ Pledger (RB) just had a great quote on the post-game, "This team has been through so much off the field that we were ready for anything on it."

I was ready to mostly check out of this season, and it has somehow turned into maybe my favorite season of college football ever. I still can't believe it.

And yes, Pyper, we're already looking at tickets. :) EDIT: Just bought our tickets. We're hoping we can bring everyone (Me and Mrs. Skinypupy, brother and his kids, and my mom), but all the tickets under $1,000 were already sold out tonight. I lucked out and got three before they disappeared.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I am looking forward to Utah playing OSU but Oregon probably hasn’t been a top 10team for weeks. Oregon’s QB just isn’t good enough and other than the OSU game they really haven’t looked very good.

But, beat the Buckeyes.
Last edited by Scuzz on Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Congrats Skiny! Glad you are going to make the trip!

I think you match up really well with Ohio St. Just don't give up the big plays, and don't get outcoached early after the long break and fall behind big.

I think your offense will do well, you can really attack their weak point at LB, just like both Oregon and Michigan did, and you have a defense which should be able to contain their offense and make them have to really earn their points.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Also, I expect the Rose Bowl to be about 90% Utah fans...

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I haven't watched the Rose Bowl since CFB (or whatever it's called) started. I will watch this one.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:I haven't watched the Rose Bowl since CFB (or whatever it's called) started. I will watch this one.
You've been missing out. It is still the perfect football game. If I could only watch one football game (pro or college), it's the Rose Bowl.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:11 am Also, I expect the Rose Bowl to be about 90% Utah fans...
For sure. Tickets are already pretty much gone (at least according to the ticketing sites), and we don’t even know who we’re playing yet. Granted, lots of those are probably going to resellers, but that seems encouraging. Really glad I was able to grab three last night.

Got some questions about getting to the stadium, will DM you about it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:11 am Also, I expect the Rose Bowl to be about 90% Utah fans...
For sure. Tickets are already pretty much gone (at least according to the ticketing sites), and we don’t even know who we’re playing yet. Granted, lots of those are probably going to resellers, but that seems encouraging. Really glad I was able to grab three last night.

Got some questions about getting to the stadium, will DM you about it.
Cool. A lot will depend on if you will be going to the Rose Parade as well.

They were already setting up during the last home game we went to (Colorado, three weeks ago).

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:09 am I haven't watched the Rose Bowl since CFB (or whatever it's called) started. I will watch this one.
I've watched but it hasn't been the same. When the BCS took over it became just another bowl game A premier bowl for sure but one of about a dozen or so. If it's not the Big Ten/PAC-12 every year it's not really a tradition anymore.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:09 am I haven't watched the Rose Bowl since CFB (or whatever it's called) started. I will watch this one.
I've watched but it hasn't been the same. When the BCS took over it became just another bowl game A premier bowl for sure but one of about a dozen or so. If it's not the Big Ten/PAC-12 every year it's not really a tradition anymore.
The setting and the pageantry render it not just another bowl game. A huge part is just the timing of the game, the way it starts in daylight with all the NYD celebration and then, as the game gets tighter, the teams get out of the feeling their way and start to really compete to win, the sun starts to set and the lights come up and start reflecting off of the helmets and the light just serves to make the game even more dramatic.

None of the other bowls, or even the super bowl can compare. Heck, most are in domes (blech) and played in TV time slots and not for the esthetics.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:25 pm
How dare you, sir! It’s FREE!! :p
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Beat Ohio State. That would be awesome.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
I think Skiny is finding out otherwise! :)

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:36 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote:
I think Skiny is finding out otherwise! :)
Imnevergoingtofinanciallyrecoverfromthis.jpg

Seriously…this shit is gonna be bananas expensive.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Once in a lifetime type experiences tend to do that.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well...I might be going to the Rose Bowl. It appears there is a very well-hidden message on the Ticketmaster site which says
To better serve fans, a restricted sales area has been implemented for the 108th Rose Bowl Game. From December 3rd at 9:00am to December 4th at 11:59pm sales to this event will be restricted to residents of Pasadena, CA. Residency will be based on credit card billing address. Orders by residents outside of this radius will be canceled without notice and refunds given.
I have no idea what "restricted sales area" means. Is it a specific section(s) of the stadium? Or does it apply for any ticket purchased last night? My fear is that it's the latter, but I can't get through to anyone at Ticketmaster to confirm.

Best part is that this information is hidden in a small box in the upper right that you won't even see unless you actively click on it. There was no pop-up or any other notification of this when I bought the tickets. There's no mention of it in the confirmation e-mail either.

There's simply no way I can pay $800-$900 a ticket plus all the inflated travel costs. So if these tickets get cancelled I'll likely be watching from home. :(
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I can’t imagine too many Pasadena residents by tickets unless they put them out for resale.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fox 13
Each participating team is allotted a certain amount of tickets that rarely satisfies the masses who want to attend. As of Friday night, school athletic officials had not announced the process for Utes fans to get Rose Bowl tickets through its office.
You can always hound your Development Officer. I'm sure they're not totally bombarded with calls.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Got some clarification (from another fan, not Ticketmaster). Apparently regular tickets say “Standard Ticket” on it and the restricted tickets say “Verified CA Resident”. Mine say Standard, so I think we should be good. Whew.

Seems like that would be a really easy thing to clarify on their site instead of that vague message.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Georgia getting absolutely dominated. Gotta admit I did not see that coming.

This year is so weird, Exhibit 352.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

GA and Ok State fall. And Utah State :think: beat San Diego State. Cincy rolls on though. Can Michigan move into the top seed?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

LETS GO ALABAMA!!!!

DO NOT TUG ON SUPERMAN'S CAPE!!!!!

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:50 pm And Utah State :think: beat San Diego State.
Pretty good year for college football in Utah.
- Utah State: MWC Champs
- Utah: Pac-12 Champs
- BYU: 10-win, ranked #12
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

BYU undefeated vs the Pac-12 :cry:

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Georgia getting absolutely dominated. Gotta admit I did not see that coming.

This year is so weird, Exhibit 352.
Weirdly enough, I kind of thought this would happen. Congrats 'Bama fans!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:49 pm BYU undefeated vs the Pac-12 :cry:
Trust me, they remind us of that every. single. day.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msduncan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 pm LETS GO ALABAMA!!!!

DO NOT TUG ON SUPERMAN'S CAPE!!!!!

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!
Roll Tide! What a fine day. Taught the Bulldogs to behave and Bama basketball just whooped up on Gonzaga!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter